Las Vegas, Nevada
SperlingViews

Below you will find all the  SperlingViews added about this city.
To find out more about this place, check out our complete Las Vegas, Nevada profile.
John
Spring Valley, NV

Solid friendly place to live, easy to find work - 4/24/2017

I moved from Los Angeles to Las Vegas and lived in Sin City for ten years. I want to share real insights, not exaggerated crap that you often read on message boards like this. People in Vegas are much more down-to-Earth than those in California. More polite and a more "yes sir, yes ma'am" kinda place. When my roommate and I first moved there, we immediately noticed folks were friendlier and less elitist. This is not LA where people compete on who has a larger paycheck and more expensive vehicle. Las Vegans are also less Balkanized. In Los Angeles, you have racial groups that cling to each other. There's even neighborhoods devoted to certain ethnic groups. But in Vegas, there's a lot more blending in. Go to a Starbucks and you see frequently see young people studying comprising of different ethnic groups. I'm Asian. In Vegas, I had far more non-Asian friends that I did in Los Angeles. It's also easy to find a job in Vegas thanks loads of call centers, construction sites and casinos. Look, these are not glamorous jobs you brag to friends on Facebook. But most people can get them within a few weeks landing in the city. And thanks to lower cost of living, you can get by on a $12/hour job. It's not an exaggeration to say, unless you have a criminal record or some mental affliction, and if you are halfway personable with a decent work ethic, you'll attain a middle class life in Vegas. If you can't find gainful employment here, you probably can't find it anywhere. Now the bad parts. There's a bit of a roughneck gun culture. I respect the right to bear arms. But there's a difference between being a gun owner and having a creepy obsession with guns. There's definitely a sizable sub-group of the latter type. Not surprisingly, there are more gun crimes in Vegas than in Los Angeles. Another downside is the appalling state of higher education. You pretty much only have UNLV, which is not considered a highly ranked school. Vegas has a service-based economy so there's less need for higher education. This might not be such a bad thing. Methinks there's nothing wrong with jobs that don't require a college education...and nothing wrong with not having a degree. But if you have kids and you desire higher education for them, then you'll have to prep for possibly sending them out of state. Overall, I enjoyed my ten years in Vegas and was sad to move out. If you're contemplating a move, I suggest paying more rent and living in Summerlin or Henderson where it's safer.

Jim
Henderson, NV

Don't get caught up in the hype or the pretty ligh - 12/22/2016

I moved to Las Vegas in October of 1997 from Florida and have hated every minute of it. I pretty much got stuck here after starting my own business getting married and having children. When I say stuck I really mean stuck. Barley made just enough to live on (most of the time) and could never save enough to move to a better place. Las Vegas is one of the most over rated cities when it comes to living here. If you are not a gambler there is absolutely nothing to do especially if you have children. Everything on the strip is expensive, the shows, the decent restaurants, attractions all here for tourists and not something a local would even think of going to on a regular bases. $8 for a beer, $13 for a glass of wine, $18 for two margaritas, $25-$45 for a buffet per person. $70 for a ticket to see even the crappiest show on the strip and to see a decent one it will cost hundreds of dollars. Away from the Las Vegas Strip you won't find much other than the normal stores and restaurants. There is really no culture here and finding a good restaurant that is not a national chain is impossible. They have tried to revamp the down town are and turn it into an art district but you risk your car, valuables you take with you and your life going down there. If you leave Fremont St. you will see quickly what I mean. I see a lot of people talking about RedRock Canyon, Mt. Charleston, Valley of Fire, Lake Mead as things to do. First off during the summer the heat is just unbearable and you will spend most of your time inside and your kids will also. All of these places are great to visit one or two time but really there is nothing to do at them other than walk. Lake Mead is a swamp, dirty nasty and just disgusting. After you visit them all one or two times you will really not want to go back. The health care system here is a disaster. My wife had to make an appointment for high blood pressure and the appointment was 3 months out. She went in and they said they needed to schedule her for some tests another 3 moths out. Then after that it was another appointment to get the results 3 moths out. She finally just bought a blood pressure tester and watched what she was eating and got it under control herself. Took my son to the eye doctor, showed up almost an hour early and 6 hours later he finally got to see the doctor. The eye doctor was suppose to be a specialist for a specific surgery he needed and when the doctor did finally look at my son he said "I guess we could do surgery on his eyes". Never went back, I ended up driving to Berkeley where the doctor scheduled the surgery the next week. Took my daughter to the doctor for a problem and the doctor came in for 30 seconds and said he was writing her a prescription and that was it, just left the room. I can tell you many nightmares about the health care system here but this would be a very long review at that point. To put it simple if you plan on living here, hope you don't ever have anything major wrong with you because this is the last place you want to be when you need real medical help. In the last 10 years no one in my family has receive good healthcare for anything we had to go to the doctor for. The school systems are the worst. Not enough books to go around, the food is garbage, the classrooms are over crowded, fights. If you have kids and they have to go to the public schools here you will fear for their safety every day when they leave for school. The weather temperature wise is okay most of the year. About a year after I moved here I started to miss the rain, thunderstorms, seeing lightening. I can count on my two hands the number of thunderstorms I have seen in almost 20 years here, they are that rare. Every time it rains (drizzles) here it is a big deal and I find myself going out and standing in it but unfortunately that is only during the colder seasons. The housing here is just laughable but not really funny at all. Homes are build at so poor quality made of chicken wire and stucco. From the interstate when driving the housing developments look like graveyards with all the same tombstones. In most of the newer homes even ones that cost $200k+ the distance between them is less than 10 feet. The backyard is usually just a slab of cement with rocks and a couple of cactus. The homes are expensive here but the quality is just crap compared to a home half the price built in places like Florida and Georgia where I have lived before. I guess since there is no bad weather here they have very lax building codes and can get away with a wood 2 x 4 frame, chicken wire and stucco. Las Vegas is a desert and eventually you get tired of seeing nothing but brown ugly desert and brown and yellow ugly home that all look alike. There is mountains in the distance but not very appealing. Went to Georgia for the first time in almost 18 years last summer and I realized I had forgotten how nice it was to see green landscapes, rolling heals, mountains, real trees, real solid built homes with real land around them. The air quality is bad here and if you leave the windows of your car or home cracked open for fresh air you will get a layer of dirt all over everything after about a day. During the summer if you wipe the sweat from your forehead you can feel the sand that has gathered on it. Trafic is a nightmare here and the construction is never ending. The city never plans for road closures and will close lanes down on every road at the worst time leaving you no detour during rush hour. They are talking about bringing in a stadium which will bring in tens of thousands of people at the same time for sporting events. The city can't even handle the traffic it already has and if you consider they almost never finish construction on the roads as it is, it will be 20 years of construction and they will never solve the traffic problem. Crime is much worse here than you will read about and what the staticts say. If you leave anything in your car in sight, your windows will be busted out. Your home will be broken into. My home in Las Vegas was broken into and I had to get a full security system installed but I still had to worry. If you don't have a security company that has their own responding armed agents the security system won't do you any good. The police will not even show up for an alarm unless there is a eye witness who actually sees someone breaking in and then it takes forever. The criminals know this and they break in ignore the alarms and snatching up what they can and get out. The police will take a report but never even follow up on trying to find the criminals who do it. I've had to resort to buying a large safe along with the alarm system and keeping anything of value in it looked up whenever we leave home. I moved to Henderson about a year ago which is suppose to be a better area. The day after we moved in I was unloading my car and forgot to lock it. The next morning I go out and my car had been rummaged through with the glove box contents all over the front seat. So much for living in a better area of Las Vegas. I can go on and on but eventually no one will read past a certain point. All I can say is the quality of life living in Las Vegas if very poor. I feel so bad for my children who have had to grow up here compared to the quality of life I had growing up. I'm planning on moving us out in the next year before they grow up anymore and waist their entire childhood in this hell hole. Anyone who is planning on moving here thinking that it is a fun place to live with 24hour nightlife should think again. It will be a big waist of time and you run the risk of getting stuck here like I did, waisting the best years of your life, living a very poor quality of life. This is not a rant but my honest opinion of what it's really like living here. Hopefully I have saved some of you from making the worst mistake of your life and changed your mind about moving here. If you truly care about the quality of your life than you will look somewhere else to live and put your roots down and save Las Vegas as a place to vacation at one day. Anyone looking for a place to blow your money and valuable years of your life away sitting at a table or machine where there is no windows than this is the city for you live.

Maya

A balanced review?... fancy that! - 9/18/2016

I have a love-hate relationship with my city. Actually, it's not that intense, it's more like a like-dislike relationship, which may just net you a pretty balanced review. I work as marriage therapist here in Las Vegas. My mother moved me to and my sister to Las Vegas when I was nearly 16, after having been raised in New Jersey with a pit stop in California. My aunt encouraged us to move here. She was one of Las Vegas's first showgirls, way back when. I've lived here ever since. I'm 52 now, and my husband and I are looking to move out of Las Vegas soon... partly because I've just been here a really long time and feel ready for a change, and partly because of the things I dislike about living here. I've lived a very happy life here though, and raised two fine children here, and you can too! I'll share my list of likes and dislikes with you, but do keep in mind that these are just my personal views, not gospel. Also keep in mind that since my children are now in their 30's, my list will naturally not be kid-focused, so it may not be super helpful to parents. I also completely ignore the "strip," like many locals. The whole casino/gaming scene is not part of my life at ALL. Either is the show business scene. We are not into local politics, either. We just live, work, and play here. So I guess you could say we are "in" LV but not really "of" LV. I think that's true for many who live here. It's not a city with a whole lot of community pride or unified spirit... perhaps partly because it's a (relatively) newly settled city, so it's not yet steeped in generations of family tradition. When I first moved here 37 years ago, it was rare to hear that a resident was actually born here. These days it's not rare, yet still raises a brow. I'm an educated middle class woman who has always lived in the more pleasant/safe areas of the city. In all my many years here, I've had only ONE crime committed against me; my wallet was stolen in a grocery store once, when my back was turned. However, if you are seriously economically challenged at present and therefore forced to live in an unpleasant/unsafe area of the city (such as some areas of North Las Vegas), know that my review will not take into account the many unsavory things you may face when moving here, such roach infested apartments and drive-by shootings. Know that Las Vegas is a big sprawling city (that actually feels more like a big sprawling town). So some of the neighborhoods are super upscale, some are mainstream-nice, some are ghetto. Your experience of Las Vegas will to a large extent depend on where in Las Vegas you hang your hat. I guess that's true for most places. WHAT I LIKE: Low cost of living, you can buy a nice home here without being rich The mild winters Lovely mountains AWESOME shopping and dining Traffic not bad, road conditions good Whole Foods grocery stores! No earthquakes, hurricanes, or twisters All kinds of diversity here People mind their own damn business Locals are welcoming to newcomers Plenty of tolerant/progressive thinkers Relatively few religious zealots Good hiking at Red Rock and Valley of Fire Proximity to Mt. Charleston (ah, fresh air) Doable drive to Zion/Bryce Canyon Utah Whatever your hobby, there's people doing it in Vegas! Many places stay open late, or even all night Good hospitals/health care (I don't know why people complain about that) Art, Dance, Music, Vegas has it all (except a film festival) It's a very doable drive to the California coast! University of Nevada Las Vegas... great school, well designed campus WHAT I DON'T LIKE: VERY poor air quality (one of the worst cities in the country) As the global water crisis gets worse, desert dwelling seems unwise INSUFFERABLY hot summers I find it a visually ugly city, with no aesthetic cohesion at all Lots of cigarette smokers rudely stinking up outdoor walkways Big under-served homeless population, thus pan-handlers on many corners Motorist-centric city, not favorable for "walk about" exploration Shopping plazas on nearly every corner... enough is enough! Advertising EVERYWHERE, it has completely colonized the landscape Graffiti (except within gated or master planned communities) Hardly a comprehensive review of a city as big and famous as Las Vegas, but I just wanted to make a list of the pros and cons that first popped into my mind, in case it helps someone's decision making process. If you do wind up moving to Las Vegas, enjoy it! There is no perfect place to live, after all... a city (much like life itself) is mostly what you make of it.

Alex
Los Angeles, CA

Before moving to Vegas, go check the health care s - 4/10/2016

If you consider moving to Vegas, go first to a medical facility there and you'll understand ....

Katrina

Las wages - 4/8/2016

Born and raised in Las Vegas. 37 yrs.old In this Glittering Concrete Hole, that I call Home. My home brings confusion. Anxiety lingers, filled with my Regrettable Past. In this Glittering Concrete hole, my home. Loneliness fills this place, whether it's to be Wanted or left Alone. It has my hopes and dreams all wrapped up in my Failures and mistakes. In this Glittering Concrete hole. I call Home The Heat is unbearable, the Lights are intended to entice, in between every church on a corner, you will find a lost soul. In this Glittering Concrete hole.. She will give You hope in its Dancing lights, all wrapped up with a little, drunkenness, brokenness and bitterness . In this Glittering Concrete hole

Anyas
Myrtle Beach, SC

This is NO place to live! - 4/2/2016

Was there for less than two months. This was a mistake and I won't be back. It was more than likely the bad roommate that lied to me about everything - no cable, no internet, this was a rooming house. This person didn't say this was a rooming house. I was the only female with four other males. All either on drugs, alcohol, warrants or gambling. I know, next time, I will look better. This things lied every step of the way. Don't expect any assistance from the police. Unless there is a body, they won't respond! I don't think the landlord was even here legally. I'm sure Las Vegas is beautiful, just not for me!

Grace
Idaho Falls, ID

Don't do it!! - 11/17/2015

Don't move to this city unless you enjoy crime 24/7 and constantly worrying about your house getting broken into. We lived in a "nicer" part of the city and my doors were always locked and gun was always loaded. This city truly is a hellhole and you couldn't pay me to move back there.

luisito

Las Vegas Living - 10/4/2015

Hello, I have been living in Las Vegas since 1985. I have seen this city grow and continue to grow. I like it here because of there's so much you can do. My kids love it here and will not move anywhere else. I wish it stays this way forever.

Donna

lack o f AOG Churches - 9/19/2015

Assembly of God The true old fashioned Assembly of God Churches do not exist in Las Vegas like the do in Southern California. We are moving out of town and I will once again will be able to worship in a true AOG . Praise the Lord !

David

Weather - 8/30/2015

Summer can be brutally hot. The other three seasons are pleasant.

Erin

weather - 7/21/2015

Summer is as HOT as the bowels of HADES. Within the last ten years or so the heat has steadily segued into November after getting an early start in May. However, if you are done with ice and snow, this is your place. Now, if you were a Thanksgiving turkey, done to a turn with moist heat or choosing the dry heat would be moot as either way you are cooked. Oh yes, it is dry. Buy stock in skin products.

VERA
Sunnyside, NY

Living Las Vegas - 5/14/2015

I lived in LV for 3 years and really loved, coming from NY, the peace and quiet living plus the hot weather made me happy. I am looking forward to go back. I was recommend Southwest for residence.

JU
Salt Lake City, UT

Moving to LV - 5/12/2015

Every time I hear Steve Wynn on the news complaining there is no real economic recovery, I know his LV profits had tanked again..Save the LV strip designed for tourists and bunch of caged golf course communities around the suburbs, the rest is a mostly filthy, beggar sprinkled desert metropolis.Half of the retail stores are empty premisses.The real estate market is as speculative as a Russian roulette dice chuck.Nevada State is broke and is desperate to fund itself through issuing traffic citations.Definitely not a good place to grow a family. June through September is over 100F and the air pollution tops 10 in the country.LV huge water problem seems to be looming on the horizon and the outdated spaghetti bowl highway interchange is jam crammed with traffic as ever.Most of North LV between Rainbow&Graig is a famous no go area for tourists and newcomers too.But shoving all this under the rug the rest is all great and your Mega Bucks Jack Pot is waiting for you.

JU
Salt Lake City, UT

Nice to visit once, not to live there ever - 5/10/2015

Las Vegas has changed forever since the invention of the online,Indian and Macao casinos.Save the outdated Strip, there is little else to see.Half of the city retail is dead, its filthy, crime is rampant,at around 8am and 3pm the city traffic crams into this insane outdated spaghetti bowl interchange freeway.June through September is over 100F.The bunch of suburban golden cage communities with its golf courses stick as sore thumbs around town,reminding me of the Panama City expat camps.Fly over is highly recommended.

Josh

I LOVE LAS VEGAS - 12/3/2014

I absolutely adore this magnificent city and have lived here for the majority of my life. The suburbs are beautiful and most of the people I meet are very kind. The restaurants are incredible and rival both New York City and Paris. The shopping is world class. The shows are world class. Many of the homes in the affluent suburbs are beautiful. I highly recommend Las Vegas!

Jetaun

Word of Life Christian Academy Pre-school - 12/2/2014

I read a poor review regarding Word of Life Christian Academy Pre-school. That person must of been anger about something, because that pre-school is AWESOME! The pre-school director has been there over 10 years. She can't be that bad. Just visit the school for yourself. Don't trust the reviews, however, most of them are positive ones. And no way is the school all about money, it is one of the cheaper schools in the city. Make sure you read the dates on these reviews because it is 2014 people and that school has really grown!!!

Deborah

Las Vegas, A Personal View - 11/30/2014

I've lived here for 15 years. I've found that Las Vegas has a lot to offer. The cost of living is reasonable, housing is affordable, and there is always something to do either in Las Vegas or the surrounding areas. You can generally get a buffet for less than $10. There are free concerts, plays, and shows. There are free magazines that will show you where they are and when. As far as employment, it's about par with the nation. There are many agencies to help you through the tough times. My only complaint is the summer heat.

HP

Not a nice place to live - 11/17/2014

I have lived here for almost 8 years and hate it. The only thing keeping me here is the low cost of living. My biggest gripes are the sketchy people ,climate, and crime. My husband and I live in a condo in Summerlin, which is one of the nicest areas. Our neighbor was just evicted for conducting a Meth lab. My husband and I recently took a vacation to Utah and were amazed at how normal and nice everyone seemed. I did not want to come back to drug addicts, purple hair and criminals. Summers are HOT!!! Unbearable. What's really disapointing is I look forward to the fall and spring mild temperatures but it is ruined by wind! Crime is out of control. I drove to the east side of town and noticed lots of police activity. We have had numerous problems in our complex and police are too slow to respond, if they respond at all. I guess they are overloaded with calls! Home prices are very low compared to other states. So, once you buy property here, it will be difficult to find a comparable home in other states if you decide Vegas is not for you. The lure of the strip, attracted my husband and I to move to Vegas. Ironically it's the crime and corruption of living near the strip that is driving us out!

Lin

Granny's pros & cons - 10/29/2014

Most places have pros and cons of why some people like living there and some people don't. Just look at what is important to you. Las Vegas can be Sin City, with gambling and sexy entertainment of the "night life". But it also has many quiet, friendly neighborhoods, malls, good jobs, and many churches. PROS: I do not go to "the strip" or casinos, but there are many activities to pursue around the area. There are many museums, cultural & art programs; check out the Springs Preserve or the Smith center. The layout makes it easy to get around town. School district has good bus transportation. There are many national parks near here, as well as Hoover Dam and Lake Mead. I can take an inexpensive bus ride to visit relatives & friends in southern California (or the beach!) if I don't want to make the four or five hour drive. It's a six hour drive to Salt Lake City and nine hours to lovely Lake Tahoe. Plane fares to almost anywhere are very reasonable. No state income taxes! CONS: Schools can be a bit tricky. Need to look at charter or magnet schools (no cost to families) for the better ones. It is HOT in July & August (desert climate), but no humidity makes it bearable. Much preferable to heat & humidity of NJ or Alabama!! And there is air conditioning in businesses, homes, and cars.

Dan07

Las Vegas Is a Great Place to Live - 10/27/2014

Las Vegas is a great city to live in! Been here over 10 years...moved here from small town Northern Utah. So many things to love: no snow to shovel, no icy roads (usually...it is a desert), affordable housing, no state income tax, easy roadtrip distance to CA (without CA taxes), close to recreational opportunities (Mount Charleston, Red Rock Canyon, Zion National Park, Bryce Canyon, Grand Canyon, Lake Mead, Death Valley), and low airfare to most of the country for travel. Surprisingly, I have a number of family members that have moved here from Hawaii and Utah due to lower cost of living and accessibility. Hawaiian Airlines flies direct to Vegas while SLC,UT is a 6 hour roadtrip! I find it interesting how negative some of these postings come across....The truth is that most locals that live in town for a permanent amount of time do not live on the Strip. We live in outer suburban areas with our families and pets. We go for walks in the mornings around the park and have outdoor bbq's with neighbors. I can only speak for myself, but some of these negative postings sound like they're coming from transient people running away from problems 'back home.' Moving to Las Vegas WILL NOT remove the problems you are running away from. Nevada history is full of pioneers that are tough, resilient characters that set out to make this desert a comfortable place we now can call home. For residents living in Las Vegas but are complaining that things aren't the way they would like, I encourage them to involve themselves with the community to create change. Las Vegas is a really big small town. We are NOT Los Angeles or New York, but do share some of the same restaurants, nightlife, and amenities! Compared to Utah, there are several occupations that pay substantially more in Las Vegas. The minimum wage in Nevada is above federal requirements. I feel for the pessimists on these forums because I really don't think they are taking advantage of what this city has to offer! On a side note for anyone that enjoys gardening, fall/winter/spring offers an easy growing season for cool season veggies without any work. My citrus fruits ripen from late October-April and I've just about picked all my ripe pomegranates off the tree in late October. As the weather cools, my hot tub gets used much more than the swimming pool and it's great weather outdoors for a fire-pit.

Next >>