Select a New Section:

Phoenix

Start Your Review of Phoenix, AZ

1/13/2017
Pleasant toursit town
I think a few reviewers moved to Arizona just to escape the cold, or, perhaps, were looking for an easy place to find meaningful work.

You do not find meaningful work in a traditional tourist town unless you have a trade that is sought out by tourists.

Moving to the desert filled with retirees, the young professionals that support them, hospitality workers, and small business people may not the suitable for young families looking to move up in corporate America without a firm educational background.

Are you interested in the hospitality industry?
Mining industry?
Entertainment?
Horses?
Construction?
Health Care?
Customer service?

You would no more move to Arizona to move up in heavy industry as a corporate ladder climber than you would move to Hawaii. Arizona is a Key West or Miami that drew people to it by its climate and tourist scene. You do not move to Key West for the schools and the industry. You move there for the climate, the beaches, and the party scene.

You also, do not move to Arizona to make VP of Marketing of Google. You move here for the climate, the outdoor recreation, and a calm, fun tourist atmosphere.

Do you own horses? Off road motorcycles? Play golf?

Without as much industry as some states, you will need a trade.

Ac repair?
Flight instructor - there are many flight schools here because of the sunny days.
Auto mechanic?
bartender?
Golf Instructor?
Do you have an MBA? Everybody else does.

If you don't like the heat and have no use for the desert activities, you would no more be happy here then you would be moving to Aspen if you don't like the cold and don't ski.

Would you like to live in a sprawling suburb of Aspen with a million other workers there to support the tourist industry and the light industry that comes from a growing town?

Probably not. And certainly not if you do not care for the ski scene and do not have a firm trade or are not a small business person looking for a growing area.

There is no reason to just move to the middle of the desert if you do not:
1 - like the desert
2- like the heat
3 - like to fly or are a pilot looking to start a flight school.
4 - are a person of some means who can afford to live in the nicer places instead of a lower-middle class, hot, suburb.
5- are educated enough to take advantage of business opportunities in a growing city.
6- are retired.

If you are moving from the rust belt with a high school diploma, looking for a large company to work your way up in, this may not be the place for you. Of course, there are very few places for you.

What do you like? Boats? Go to Florida.
Surfing? California.
Flying, golf? Arizona.

ect.

Find what you like, then move to a place that supports it, and work in that industry. Like health care? Arizona is great. Flight school? Yes. horse vet, tourist trade, construction engineer, bar owner, ect.

Good luck. The people here are very pleasant, except for the frustrated ones who move someplace where its 110 degrees but they don't care for the heat, and have no trade, little education, and are not interested in the desert in the least.

1/9/2017
I See Stupid People
My god Ron, I know exactly what you mean. I got marooned here, moved here for my six figure job... sequestration hit, we all got laid off. I need one of those T shirts, "I See Stupid People.." They are everywhere...

I hate to admit this... but I've taken to "dumbing down," when I speak. Before, all I'd usually get was the stank-eye look. Now, if I mix up my tenses, drool a bit and shuffle my feet, I've noticed they're actually helpful.

Add to that, this State is ridiculously expensive. Groceries, taxes, utilities, everything.

1/8/2017
MMMMMMM!..... I dont think so!
the number of stars on my review will explain it all.... or if you chose to move here you will learn quickly also.

9/6/2016
Satan's Cesspool : Planet Phoenix
If you are even considering or thinking about moving to Phoenix or anywhere in the surrounding areas, think twice before you make the most deadly and serious mistake of your life. Forget what a lot of natives say and those who have lost their minds saying how wonderful it is. If you dig deep enough and search the right terms (try popping into Google "Arizona Hell", "Arizona Hell Hole", etc), you will find the truth.

I only with the vast knowledge of the internet was available in the time I was conned into moving out here as it could have saved my life, so in turn, i'm trying to now save anyone else from becoming another unfortunate statistic in this hell hole death trap!

Won't go into the obvious that's been stated already by another victim here (that was lucky enough to escape with his family thank god), but will more or less add a few things that he forgot to mention.

First off, if you're not working for some big corporation or own your own business already prior to getting sucked into this hell hole...get ready to be either homeless or just making enough to where you can hardly afford to eat, pay bills and rent...and sometimes, you may have to go hungry just to keep a roof over your head!

Not to mention regardless of your skills, degrees, trade, etc...you will be working near minimum wage jobs as if you were in High School or if you were brainless and had no skills or trades. Telemarketing, being a stock boy (or girl) and cashier at a grocery store are about the only jobs you will get. I won't say what I used to do or what I should be doing if I was on Earth, but let's just say my trade that has been stripped from me made close to 6 figures.

I'm now broke, a half step away from being homeless, have many health issues thanks to the pollution, bad air in general, constant 105 - 115 degree heat with no moisture and serious every day allergies that meds won't even combat (side note - I NEVER EVER EVER had allergies all my life!!).

NEWSFLASH : If you're single and on your own, guess what? Unless you got a helping hand from well off family or friends to fund an out of state move, you will NEVER EVER get out! Reason why? You'll never make enough cash TO be able to get out!

Now let me mention a few more things that were humorously touched on in the other posting from 3 yrs ago, but just to back those things up in my own words....the people here are 95% shit as the place itself. You have 4 types and they go as follows :

1.The snotty rich and fake snotty rich/well off snobs that think they're better than you and can walk all over you just because they got rich from inheritance.

2.The natives who are snobby as it is, even if they're poor. They have the "im better than you" attitude regardless and stick in little cliques like a pack of 16 year old school kids.

3.The degenerate thugs/druggies/dealers. These all fall in the same class and these are the majority of what you will run into and live by if you're not rich. These types even over run the middle class average "joe" neighborhoods eventually. Arizona is the meth capitol of the US folks.

4.The unfortunates who have made the mistake of coming here from Earth and getting trapped here, desperately looking for an escape rout to save their lives.

So that's the people....the last thing I will mention before signing off here, is on this planet, when you get bit by something, you will always wonder if your life will be over within the next several hours or not. That is if you don't know already that you've been stung/attacked by the deadliest Scorpion in the US or bit by a black widow.

I could write a whole novel about this hell hole, but, nothing I would say hasn't already been said by others a zillion times. So, bottom line, DO NOT COME HERE if you value your life, health and mental well being. I hope myself to find that escape rout someday soon! Over and out.

8/11/2016
It's Unique...Not in a good way!
Thought I'd give you my opinion from somebody that moved from Upstate NY to Phoenix....I REGRET IT! The summers here are so hot that it's not even bearable to be outside from May to September. People here drive like jerks and idiots. The highways are a combination of retirees doing 55 and jerks in their pick ups doing 90...Speaking of jerks...lots of them around here...the gun toting, large truck driving, monster energy drink or NRA decal rocking "'Merican" types. The worst part for me is that everything here looks the same as far as neighborhoods and architecture. Beige, stucco everything. The streets here are basically set up in a grid system (north, south and east, west). Its literally strip mall....Gas station....Housing Tract...The redundancy and lack of uniqueness is mind numbing. If you blindfolded someone and dropped them off in a random area they would have no idea where they were if not for a street sign...Even the nice parts of town have shady run down areas sprinkled throughout. Many people here are sketchy, standoffish and rather ignorant...I hate it here. Cant wait to move.

6/21/2016
LOVE IT!!
Phoenix is an AMAZING place to be! It literally has everything to offer. I have lived in 10 states in each corner of the U.S.A and I must say.. this has impressed me the most! It does not have the historical value that my home town of Boston has, however, in my opinion, the diversity and on going changing culture makes up for that. Another thing, LOCATION!! You can have any weather you want in 2 hours or less! I tend to want snow at Christmas, so I head to Flagstaff for a long weekend to get my fill then happily drive back to the valley where an absolute perfect day of cool weather and no snow awaits me :)

If you are open minded, enjoy people, appreciate diversity and genuinely are a decent person.. you will enjoy the Phoenix area.

No where is perfect.. but what is perfect!?? It is what you want it to be.. and with that said I will make the bold statement that "Phoenix, AZ is perfect for me"!

Pro sports, fishing, hiking, music venues everywhere, good eats (although, I will say, I miss the beach and fresh seafood sometimes, but wait, I can go to Cali which is a 4.5 hour drive!!), close enough to get away for a short trip when you require different scenery.. so many options! Phoenix.. I LOVE YOU!! Says the Bostonian :)

5/21/2016
Considering retiring in Prescott, but have questio
I'm considering retiring in Prescott. This may sound strange, but the most important quality is hiking. Is there a Prescott hike similar to Camelback in Phoenix, with 1200 feet in elevation increase? Does a trail lead to summit of Thumb Butte? What is the elevation increase? Are there truly 277 sunny days per year? My email is bpermenter2002@yahoo.com

3/1/2016
Climate in Phoenix
The weather is unbearable in the summer, but the Winter and Spring make up for it, with beautiful weather!

1/26/2016
Looking to move to peoria, mesa. gilbert, chandler
Where should a single straight guy who loves woman, outside activities, peace and quiet, good neighborhoods, malls, shopping, shooting, desert fun, exploreing, four wheeling, and let me again mention WOMAN, LIVE???????? Im 50yrs old most people think I look late 30s 40, will be retireing early after 16yrs from civil service, DONE WITH NEW YORK! Am tired of all the BS. I was in AZ yrs ago and loved it so when I do retire I will go into the trucking business so if someone can reach out to me and give me alittle advice I would sure appreciate it.

1/14/2016
Phoenix, Arizona Sucks!!!!
I lived in Phoenix, AZ for three years before relocating to Cali. Phoenix is the most ignorant, the more immature, the most arrogant, and the most racist city (that's very sad for me) I have ever lived in my entire life (I lived in three other cities: Atlanta, GA, Burlington, VT, and Brooklyn, New York, where I was born and raised). Phoenix is literally 30 years behind New York, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Chicago, and Boston. If you are an urbanite like me, we are all trying to better ourselves in this ugly life in whatever way possible. Living in Phoenix was like living on Sesame Street-full of two-faced people and childish haters and clown-ass wannabees. They go absolutely no culture, no flavor there. NO ONE GOES OUT HERE!!! Ex: Anytime I see the construction of the new light rail station and there is a celebration without the light rail running until four months after of the celebration (???). I knew some thing wasn't right. Don't get me wrong: Phoenix is very affordable. One can live like Donald Trump here but I couldn't stay in that city another brutal hot summer and have what they say, "cabin fever." Easy living is sometimes NOT the best living (and the same goes for ATL which is very similar and not that far behind PHX). Normally I don't go out of my way to say stuff like this because I've reserved. To be fair, if you're not going to college, pursue a trade, or retired with money, don't move to phoenix. Phoenix has a lot of resources, yet there are way too many miserable, soulless losers there.

10/15/2015
Hot Hot Hot
I feel PHX summers are way too hot, patiently awaiting cooler temps!

10/4/2015
Is Phoenix worth moving to. Heard so many horrific
I live in New York and I am thinking of moving to Sun City Grand in Surprise.
It is absolutely beautiful.
The home I am thinking of renting is super nice and only $975 per month.
I heard some of the worth comments about life in Phoenix.
So many have moved.
Most say it is very hard to find work.
Many say the peoole are unfriendly, ultra conservative, very republican, judgemental, and SOULESS.
If this is true, then I do not want to be apart of this place.

I would appreciate hearing from people who have relocated to Phoenix.
Thanks

Hospitals in Maricopa County
Currently, the Banner is system is buying many if not most of the hospitals in the area. The once monopoly of the Samaritan Health Systems have been replaced with the inflated Banner system: Good Samaritan > Banner Good Sam > Banner Univeristy. Thunderbird Samaritan > Banner Thunderbird. Boswell Hospital > Banner Boswell Campus. To keep up Scottsdale Health Care and John C Lincoln have teamed up to be Honor Health! I can't say the care has changed by these unions; suffice it to say, we still need to be congnizant about our health care and take a proactive approach when being cared for in the hospital/Emergency Room.

And then there's Phoenix Children's Hospital and St. Joseph's Barrow Neurological Institute... the world renowned for their specialties. Personally, I appreciate Phoenix Children's as my sons went there. Only one unpleasant experience with a nurse in the Recovery Room. Otherwise, they have my 95% vote and the food in the cafeteria is top notch, like a 5 star!

Hospitals in Maricopa County

Compare Phoenix, Arizona to any other place in the USA.

Select a New Section: