Select a New Section:

Phoenix

Start Your Review of Phoenix, AZ

11/7/2017
DON'T MOVE HERE!
I agree with all the negative things that people say about Phoenix so I won't repeat it here. Recently, flippers have overtaken the valley and caused an artificial rise in real estate prices. As soon as these guys are finished, the market may crash again here. As a renter, everybody's rent went up to $1000 a month because of the flippers. Mine went up from $800 to $1000. in two months. I asked my landlord why the steep increase, he said, "Because I can!" I am packing and leaving Arizona and my slumlord, ASAP! You think that if the market crashed here, he would reduce my rent? No, I don't think so! I've been wanting to leave AZ for some years now, but AZ seems to suck the little guy in and won't let him go! I've heard this from a number of people. In most people's cases, you just don't make enough of money here to save and get out of here! If I have to take the Bus, I will escape from Phoenix!!

11/6/2017
Hot, ugly, nasty
I have lived many places and Phoenix is bar none the most lowlife, classless, mean cold place I have ever lived.
The cost of living is high. The pay is horrible. They don't have to pay because so many people want to live there.
I almost felt like apologizing because I have an education, no tatts, I don't beat my wife and I have an IQ over 21 and I'm polite.
The young people are vicious and uncaring.
it's hard to make decent friends. You might make some if you want to stoop real low.
Good manners, class and kindness are sneered at.
The summers are enough to drive you crazy, constant heat, smog, dust, dirt, ugly scenery.
Most of the people I swear are on meth. The women love abuse.
They know nothing yet are hyper critical. "Do as I say not as I do"
They have such a chip on their shoulder.
Phoenix attracts the white trash mostly from the upper Midwest (except for Wisconsin - those people seem sane and kinder)
People are snobs - blue-collar, working poor snobs.
To give you an example of the idiocy there. I called a store and asked the guy "what are your hours". Now any carbon-based being would interpret that to mean "what time do you open and close". right? The doofus who answered said "Huhhhh, What do you mean?"...in an rude, ignorant peckerwood tone of voice. Never had I talked to such stupid idiot.
See the movie Idiocracy and you'll know what I mean.
There are more social problems and dysfunctional families than you can shake a stick at.
it's LA without the ocean and 30 degrees hotter and the IQ scores are about 30 points lower. The whole state of Arizona sucks.
I read at one time that it was estimated that 25% of the population of Maricopa county was functionally illiterate. That's probably UNDER stating things. The nice weather from November 15 to May 15 just doesn't make this rathole worth it.

10/27/2017
Love the Valley
I have lived all over the country... Colorado, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, Texas, Georgia, South Carolina... there really is no better place than Phoenix. Is it hot? Yes, of course. But if you can bear the heat during 3-4 months of the year (easy to do with AC and some fun indoor activities), you'll LOVE the weather for the rest of the year. Sunsets... unbelievable. People... very friendly. I run a pigeon control business and I have to say, it's an absolute pleasure to deal with most people here. People are very friendly as long as you are friendly. I think the sunshine keeps people happy. I love Phoenix and I can't see myself living anywhere else.

10/12/2017
Arizona native for 43 years
The description of Phoenix really isn't accurate. Average commute time is not 15 minutes, its typically 30-45 minutes based on traffic. Schools are also crowded with about 1 teacher to every 26 students. The summers are extremely hot, hiking is nice if you enjoy the desert but you can always drive north where it is cooler and there are trees and mountains. We're looking to relocate to the mid west to escape the non drivers and find a friendlier city, instead of worrying about keeping up with the Jones.

Like Groundhog Day
I'll be brief. I've lived in several different states in the US, and have lived/worked overseas as well (non-military). I hate Phoenix and its metropolitan area.

Cons: Murderous heat. No soul, heart, or personality to the city. Everything looks the same---generic, tan, fake, bland. Horrific drivers. Live life shuttling from one enclosed space to another. Angry old white people (I'm white, btw). Vapid superficial ignorant young people. Traffic is horrendous. Airport itself sucks. Vast spaces filled with dirt, rocks, generic suburbia. Few decent jobs compared to size of metro area. Overpriced housing.

Pros: Cheap airfares ie easy to escape Phoenix. Lots of places that actually have personality/character are within one day's drive--LA, San Diego, Albuquerque, Vegas, Tucson, Grand Canyon, etc.

Bottom line...every moment of every day kind of runs together when living in Phoenix---most people, places and moments virtually indistinguishable from one another. Intense heat, relentless sun, generic nondescript landscape. Think of it like this: if you had to eat at the same Applebees or Chilis or Cracker Barrel every day, always crowded, unchanging menu, etc. Sure, everything is "there" and is generally "acceptable" but you still know that there's more "out there," way way way more.

Can't leave this city soon enough. Don't worry--I won't let the door hit me on the way out....

Not a wholesome town
I would rate Phoenix only 1 star because after moving and living near Phoenix we have made a decision to leave. We moved here from the Chicago suburbs for a professional job opportunity for my husband earlier in the year.

At first, we didn't see all the negatives but were really enticed by the beauty of Scottsdale.

After some time we really got an understanding of the crime issues in Phoenix and rude people. Being from the Mid-West we are both generally warm and friendly people but have found the contrary here.

We've had so many rude drivers cut us off or drive wildly out of control around us even during the morning commute rush that it's been eye opening! It really feels like you're in a Mad Max movie with everyone out for themselves here!

We even made reports to the Phoenix police and they do nothing because they are dealing with violent crime issues that are more pressing.

I also didn't understand the concept of gated communities with manned security guards until moving here are listening to the local news crime report. If you decide or have to move here, I suggest only living in a manned security gated-community. Please take this advice! Also, avoid Phoenix as much as possible and stay in the gated community in Scottsdale or other safer suburban area - far from Phoenix.

Or only visit as a tourist occasionally but don't move here for a job opportunity.

Not a wholesome town

At first, we didn't see all the negatives but where really enticed by the beauty of Scottsdale.

I also didn't understand the concept of gated communities with manned security guards until moving here are listening to the local news crime report. If you decide or have to move here, I suggest only living in a manned security gate-community. Please take this advice! Also, avoid Phoenix as much as possible and stay in the gated community in Scottsdale or other safer suburban area - far from Phoenix.

6/9/2017
Rude people, No good jobs
Most of the jobs in this state are very low paying. If you want to make minimum wage or something close to it, this place is for you. If you want something better, you;ll have to look else where. I am not from this state and was pretty shocked at just how rude and aggressive people are in this place. Every block, house and street looks exactly the same (weird) like one small area was duplicated several times and that compiled with the fact that there are no seasons here makes it very hard to tell what time of year it is and how much time has gone by. This place almost didn't feel real to me while I was there...It has no culture and you are surrounded by stuck up snobs that come from rich families and have an I'm-better-than-you-attitude. Everyone else is poor to some degree and its as if the middle class doesn't even exist here. This place seems to lack culture all together save for Mexican culture which is everywhere, and it doesn't seem to have its own identity aside from being a very Republican state. I find it bizarre how many churches there are literally everywhere including right next to stores in strip malls. This state feels like one big strip mall...I also find it unusual how many meth addicts there are in this city. Didn't that drug phase out everywhere else by now? It seems everything in AZ is behind by several years.

6/3/2017
Incomparable (Phoenix Valley)
Im 42 and have moved around all my life. Ive lived mainly up and down the east coast. From Orlando/Atlanta/Charlotte/Maryland/Wilmington NC/Williamsport PA/Asheville NC and then for something completely different Phoenix AZ and was there for more than 3 years. Anywhere you go or live, it is what you make of it and more importantly how you react to it. Everyone is on a different path and nowhere is perfect. I would say there is always a balance of good and bad anywhere you go. I would only digress to say if I had to live anywhere between Ohio and Mississippi I would probably be better off dead. That said Phoenix is absolutely a different as can be in comparison to the rest of the country. Of course Californians might look at it as the wanna be LA in the desert. Which in all actuallity its a Mecca for hispanics living out the American dream like its 1956 all over again. I would say that Phoenix is far behind as far as culture, entertainment and over all community togetherness. Its the epicenter for the old school nuclear family idealism with sprawling suburbs and shopping malls that go on for miles and miles and everything looks the same. (brown town) Its like living on a space craft sometimes at night especially, which can be a unique and interesting feeling coming from the east coast. The bads are really bad there and the goods are great. The entire 3 years I've lived there I've really had no worries with money, have had a decent paying job, which you can afford to live here because things are relatively "easier" you don't have the extra expenses you do like living on the east coast other than the AC bill from Mid May- Sept. But Other than broken windshields (get it on your insurance) and the need to upgrade your window tint on your car Phoenix can be a relatively low maintenance place to live. In some areas it can be breathtakingly gorgeous and in other parts can literally take your breath as you try to breath from the pollution, dust and ozone depletion. I think most people know these points about Phoenix. Its well known enough and enough people live there to state their case if they are not a walking zombie (education is horrid) but that said if you move there with a decent IQ this place makes you feel like a genius and you get it in return. And thats what I would like to imphasize the most single GUYS! If you are a grounded, smart, funny and a genuine gentleman especially from the south you will have zero problems with the ladies. They crave down to earth guys there because the majority of the locals there are mouth breathing douchebags. In 3 years i was in 4 different and pleasant relationships, i just kept moving on because i could. I never had this experience in the south (Asheville) where i was single for 4 years before moving to AZ. After 4 months I was in a great relationship having a blast. AZ girls are the best if you find the right ones (latin) if you will. It can be a double edged sword though if you want to move and take them with you. They are planted and Im not. And speaking of plants every single tree in the valley was planted and the lack of nature connection other than the sky is redundant. Only so many rocky sandy trails you can go down before they all run together. The east valley looks exactly like the west valley. Just more Mormons in the east and Hispanics in the west. All and all living in Phoenix has made me a better person by seeing the good and embracing it. Its not the best but sure is better than most because its just simply unlike any other place in the US. Im now back in Asheville due to friends and family and just getting away from the heat to a more moderate climate but hell i do miss Phoenix just due to the diversity of the place, cleanliness, openness, vistas, beautiful friendly women and over all anything may or could go attitude. Btw living on Mars can be interesting its all how you react to it, and what you do with your time there. Going to Sedona, Tuscan even LA or San Diego on the weekend is better than the options of ATL or Charleston. I guess my biggest plus about Phoenix its a place you can go to get away from your past because nothing will remind you of home when you live on Mars.

1/13/2017
Pleasant toursit town
I think a few reviewers moved to Arizona just to escape the cold, or, perhaps, were looking for an easy place to find meaningful work.

You do not find meaningful work in a traditional tourist town unless you have a trade that is sought out by tourists.

Moving to the desert filled with retirees, the young professionals that support them, hospitality workers, and small business people may not the suitable for young families looking to move up in corporate America without a firm educational background.

Are you interested in the hospitality industry?
Mining industry?
Entertainment?
Horses?
Construction?
Health Care?
Customer service?

You would no more move to Arizona to move up in heavy industry as a corporate ladder climber than you would move to Hawaii. Arizona is a Key West or Miami that drew people to it by its climate and tourist scene. You do not move to Key West for the schools and the industry. You move there for the climate, the beaches, and the party scene.

You also, do not move to Arizona to make VP of Marketing of Google. You move here for the climate, the outdoor recreation, and a calm, fun tourist atmosphere.

Do you own horses? Off road motorcycles? Play golf?

Without as much industry as some states, you will need a trade.

Ac repair?
Flight instructor - there are many flight schools here because of the sunny days.
Auto mechanic?
bartender?
Golf Instructor?
Do you have an MBA? Everybody else does.

If you don't like the heat and have no use for the desert activities, you would no more be happy here then you would be moving to Aspen if you don't like the cold and don't ski.

Would you like to live in a sprawling suburb of Aspen with a million other workers there to support the tourist industry and the light industry that comes from a growing town?

Probably not. And certainly not if you do not care for the ski scene and do not have a firm trade or are not a small business person looking for a growing area.

There is no reason to just move to the middle of the desert if you do not:
1 - like the desert
2- like the heat
3 - like to fly or are a pilot looking to start a flight school.
4 - are a person of some means who can afford to live in the nicer places instead of a lower-middle class, hot, suburb.
5- are educated enough to take advantage of business opportunities in a growing city.
6- are retired.

If you are moving from the rust belt with a high school diploma, looking for a large company to work your way up in, this may not be the place for you. Of course, there are very few places for you.

What do you like? Boats? Go to Florida.
Surfing? California.
Flying, golf? Arizona.

ect.

Find what you like, then move to a place that supports it, and work in that industry. Like health care? Arizona is great. Flight school? Yes. horse vet, tourist trade, construction engineer, bar owner, ect.

Good luck. The people here are very pleasant, except for the frustrated ones who move someplace where its 110 degrees but they don't care for the heat, and have no trade, little education, and are not interested in the desert in the least.

1/9/2017
I See Stupid People
My god Ron, I know exactly what you mean. I got marooned here, moved here for my six figure job... sequestration hit, we all got laid off. I need one of those T shirts, "I See Stupid People.." They are everywhere...

I hate to admit this... but I've taken to "dumbing down," when I speak. Before, all I'd usually get was the stank-eye look. Now, if I mix up my tenses, drool a bit and shuffle my feet, I've noticed they're actually helpful.

Add to that, this State is ridiculously expensive. Groceries, taxes, utilities, everything.

1/8/2017
MMMMMMM!..... I dont think so!
the number of stars on my review will explain it all.... or if you chose to move here you will learn quickly also.

8/11/2016
It's Unique...Not in a good way!
Thought I'd give you my opinion from somebody that moved from Upstate NY to Phoenix....I REGRET IT! The summers here are so hot that it's not even bearable to be outside from May to September. People here drive like jerks and idiots. The highways are a combination of retirees doing 55 and jerks in their pick ups doing 90...Speaking of jerks...lots of them around here...the gun toting, large truck driving, monster energy drink or NRA decal rocking "'Merican" types. The worst part for me is that everything here looks the same as far as neighborhoods and architecture. Beige, stucco everything. The streets here are basically set up in a grid system (north, south and east, west). Its literally strip mall....Gas station....Housing Tract...The redundancy and lack of uniqueness is mind numbing. If you blindfolded someone and dropped them off in a random area they would have no idea where they were if not for a street sign...Even the nice parts of town have shady run down areas sprinkled throughout. Many people here are sketchy, standoffish and rather ignorant...I hate it here. Cant wait to move.

6/21/2016
LOVE IT!!
Phoenix is an AMAZING place to be! It literally has everything to offer. I have lived in 10 states in each corner of the U.S.A and I must say.. this has impressed me the most! It does not have the historical value that my home town of Boston has, however, in my opinion, the diversity and on going changing culture makes up for that. Another thing, LOCATION!! You can have any weather you want in 2 hours or less! I tend to want snow at Christmas, so I head to Flagstaff for a long weekend to get my fill then happily drive back to the valley where an absolute perfect day of cool weather and no snow awaits me :)

If you are open minded, enjoy people, appreciate diversity and genuinely are a decent person.. you will enjoy the Phoenix area.

No where is perfect.. but what is perfect!?? It is what you want it to be.. and with that said I will make the bold statement that "Phoenix, AZ is perfect for me"!

Pro sports, fishing, hiking, music venues everywhere, good eats (although, I will say, I miss the beach and fresh seafood sometimes, but wait, I can go to Cali which is a 4.5 hour drive!!), close enough to get away for a short trip when you require different scenery.. so many options! Phoenix.. I LOVE YOU!! Says the Bostonian :)

5/21/2016
Considering retiring in Prescott, but have questio
I'm considering retiring in Prescott. This may sound strange, but the most important quality is hiking. Is there a Prescott hike similar to Camelback in Phoenix, with 1200 feet in elevation increase? Does a trail lead to summit of Thumb Butte? What is the elevation increase? Are there truly 277 sunny days per year? My email is bpermenter2002@yahoo.com

Compare Phoenix, Arizona to any other place in the USA.

Select a New Section: