Select a New Section:

Comments

LOVE IT!! - 6/21/2016
Phoenix is an AMAZING place to be! It literally has everything to offer. I have lived in 10 states in each corner of the U.S.A and I must say.. this has impressed me the most! It does not have the historical value that my home town of Boston has, however, in my opinion, the diversity and on going changing culture makes up for that. Another thing, LOCATION!! You can have any weather you want in 2 hours or less! I tend to want snow at Christmas, so I head to Flagstaff for a long weekend to get my fill then happily drive back to the valley where an absolute perfect day of cool weather and no snow awaits me :)

If you are open minded, enjoy people, appreciate diversity and genuinely are a decent person.. you will enjoy the Phoenix area.

No where is perfect.. but what is perfect!?? It is what you want it to be.. and with that said I will make the bold statement that "Phoenix, AZ is perfect for me"!

Pro sports, fishing, hiking, music venues everywhere, good eats (although, I will say, I miss the beach and fresh seafood sometimes, but wait, I can go to Cali which is a 4.5 hour drive!!), close enough to get away for a short trip when you require different scenery.. so many options! Phoenix.. I LOVE YOU!! Says the Bostonian :)

Considering retiring in Prescott, but have questio - 5/21/2016
I'm considering retiring in Prescott. This may sound strange, but the most important quality is hiking. Is there a Prescott hike similar to Camelback in Phoenix, with 1200 feet in elevation increase? Does a trail lead to summit of Thumb Butte? What is the elevation increase? Are there truly 277 sunny days per year? My email is bpermenter2002@yahoo.com

Climate in Phoenix - 3/1/2016
The weather is unbearable in the summer, but the Winter and Spring make up for it, with beautiful weather!

Looking to move to peoria, mesa. gilbert, chandler - 1/26/2016
Where should a single straight guy who loves woman, outside activities, peace and quiet, good neighborhoods, malls, shopping, shooting, desert fun, exploreing, four wheeling, and let me again mention WOMAN, LIVE???????? Im 50yrs old most people think I look late 30s 40, will be retireing early after 16yrs from civil service, DONE WITH NEW YORK! Am tired of all the BS. I was in AZ yrs ago and loved it so when I do retire I will go into the trucking business so if someone can reach out to me and give me alittle advice I would sure appreciate it.

Phoenix, Arizona Sucks!!!! - 1/14/2016
I lived in Phoenix, AZ for three years before relocating to Cali. Phoenix is the most ignorant, the more immature, the most arrogant, and the most racist city (that's very sad for me) I have ever lived in my entire life (I lived in three other cities: Atlanta, GA, Burlington, VT, and Brooklyn, New York, where I was born and raised). Phoenix is literally 30 years behind New York, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Chicago, and Boston. If you are an urbanite like me, we are all trying to better ourselves in this ugly life in whatever way possible. Living in Phoenix was like living on Sesame Street-full of two-faced people and childish haters and clown-ass wannabees. They go absolutely no culture, no flavor there. NO ONE GOES OUT HERE!!! Ex: Anytime I see the construction of the new light rail station and there is a celebration without the light rail running until four months after of the celebration (???). I knew some thing wasn't right. Don't get me wrong: Phoenix is very affordable. One can live like Donald Trump here but I couldn't stay in that city another brutal hot summer and have what they say, "cabin fever." Easy living is sometimes NOT the best living (and the same goes for ATL which is very similar and not that far behind PHX). Normally I don't go out of my way to say stuff like this because I've reserved. To be fair, if you're not going to college, pursue a trade, or retired with money, don't move to phoenix. Phoenix has a lot of resources, yet there are way too many miserable, soulless losers there.

Hot Hot Hot - 10/15/2015
I feel PHX summers are way too hot, patiently awaiting cooler temps!

Is Phoenix worth moving to. Heard so many horrific - 10/4/2015
I live in New York and I am thinking of moving to Sun City Grand in Surprise.
It is absolutely beautiful.
The home I am thinking of renting is super nice and only $975 per month.
I heard some of the worth comments about life in Phoenix.
So many have moved.
Most say it is very hard to find work.
Many say the peoole are unfriendly, ultra conservative, very republican, judgemental, and SOULESS.
If this is true, then I do not want to be apart of this place.

I would appreciate hearing from people who have relocated to Phoenix.
Thanks

Hospitals in Maricopa County - 9/15/2015
Currently, the Banner is system is buying many if not most of the hospitals in the area. The once monopoly of the Samaritan Health Systems have been replaced with the inflated Banner system: Good Samaritan > Banner Good Sam > Banner Univeristy. Thunderbird Samaritan > Banner Thunderbird. Boswell Hospital > Banner Boswell Campus. To keep up Scottsdale Health Care and John C Lincoln have teamed up to be Honor Health! I can't say the care has changed by these unions; suffice it to say, we still need to be congnizant about our health care and take a proactive approach when being cared for in the hospital/Emergency Room.

And then there's Phoenix Children's Hospital and St. Joseph's Barrow Neurological Institute... the world renowned for their specialties. Personally, I appreciate Phoenix Children's as my sons went there. Only one unpleasant experience with a nurse in the Recovery Room. Otherwise, they have my 95% vote and the food in the cafeteria is top notch, like a 5 star!

Winter in Chicago compare to winter in Phoenix - 2/8/2015
It's 34 degrees here and we still shoveling snow compared to 80 degrees in Phoenix. I've lived in Chicago almost all my life(59yrs) and the winter aren't getting any better. I'm planning on moving to the Phoenix area in a few years when I retire.

HOT, TOO HOT - 10/28/2014
I had an unfortunate life changing event in 1998. I moved to Phoenix. The heat is oppressive, whether it is labelled as 'dry heat'...whatever...native Phoenixites (?)claim you can fry an egg on the sidewalk, yes, very probable. Then there is the disturbing issue of high, high crime rate, both property and violent type, huge amt of drug trafficking and use, #1 in car theft, #1 in identity theft, #1 in teen pregnancy, #1 in high school dropouts, #46 in quality of education k-12, corrupt police force, anti-Constitutional law (as in human rights) since the legislature has forgotten what our founding fathers wrote in the Declaration of Independence since our good ol' boy sheriff has their support, and has been affectionately named "America's Toughest Sheriff" but in terms of curbing the repeat offender percentages, forget about it. Then the Hispanic American profiling that is rampant, which by the way, the Federal Govt is trying to soften the blow by chastising the local powers that be...to no avail as of yet. So if you wish to live in a colorless desert, with high prices, big traffic, slow road construction, corrupt, bankrupt govt, mindless, uneducated populace that can do ONE thing exceptionally well (have lots of babies) then Phoenix is your kind of place. Bring eggs!

Venting! - 10/20/2014
6 months! Cannot Wait! Just got home. Pulling out of a parking lot and someone pulled around another vehicle down the street. He was doing about 70 in a 40. Flipped me off like him almost hitting me had nothing to do with his speed. Had a sleeveless, beat up trashy t shirt on. Typical Phoenician.
Aggressive, sense of entitlement, trashy, ignorant, snobby. Success is defined by how much you make or how much you think you will make. Even the ones that don't make money behave like they do. Thats this culture too. Commercialism, job titles and acting the part. Thats all this town is about. Even the ones who do make some money don't make enough to justify their behavior. People do a lot of things here, but they don't do them to enjoy them or because they have a passion for them. They do things for bragging rights. I went scuba diving, I went to California, I went to a club last night, I...I...I. I've witnessed this this all my life here and thats why I'm leaving.
My brother took his kids to another state about 10 years ago. What a turn around in their behavior! No way am I telling anyone which one. First of all it would get nit picked. Second, If I would not want to anyone to make the place more crowded. They have such a sense of spirit now, that most don't have in Arizona.

I've never seen such an empty, dead place of all the places I've been.

Damn near everyone is divorced or married multiple times, never live in the same place for a few years and act like they live the California lifestyle. As if that was not bad enough, they do it all at the same time they preach family values. If you want to pretend like your living "the" lifestyle here, until you're old (between the sun and smokers you will look it), burned out and miserable and your kids grow up to be empty, soulless, and materialistic sociopaths then this is the place for you.

Dust, strip malls and planned neighborhoods... - 10/10/2014
Without a doubt, Phoenix is THE worst place I've ever lived. I've been here only 5 months and I'm already in the process of moving away for good. Simply put, Phoenix has zero culture. There's not even decent Mexican food, though Barro's pizza is pretty good...but pizza is not Mexican food.

All Phoenix has to really offer is planned neighborhoods and strip malls, though outdoor activities do exist, you'll travel far to get to them. You'll find a grocery store or gas station every other block and those of you who like to get out and walk, prepare to do so with no cover from the sun...ever. Speaking of walking places: you could do it, but it will most likely take you a long time to get to your strip mall destination. This is a car town, folks. That being said, Phoenix has THE best city grid I've ever seen. It's roads are long, straight and go on forever and ever, with no end or change in sight.

As for weather, when it's hot in the summer (hot is not 102; hot is 115), pray that the electricity doesn't cut out or you will surely succumb to heat stroke while in your home. If you park your car outside in the summer, chances are it will have suffered significant sun damage. When it rains, prepare for flash-flooding of biblical proportions only to see the water all be gone in a matter of hours. Watch out for microbursts, those pesky thunderstorm down bursts that can rip the roof off of your house or flip a semi truck, but not before a haboob has covered everything in dust, which most likely will contain Valley Fever spores. Granted, Phoenix has the most beautiful sunsets I have ever seen, but it's a land of extremes. And folks here will defend this city's honor to the bitter end during the milder winter months, choosing to live in this odd, amnesia-like delusion that summer is long gone...but make no mistake, it will rear it's ugly head again. it's a vicious, vicious cycle and if you don't accept this simple fact, you will pay dearly with your sanity.

Phoenix "culture" is kinda like a desert version of Jersey Shore, especially in Scottsdale. Just lots of folks driving raised pick-up trucks, shiny sports cars and rocking out with cheesy Affliction apparel. I don't care if Scottsdale and Phoenix were founded at different times, Scottsdale is merely a rich man's suburb of Phoenix. People in LA get a bad reputation for being snooty, but honestly, they can't hold a candle up to the majority of folks I've come across in Phoenix (and it's suburb of Scottsdale). When you first arrive, prepare to feel like you're wasting people's time just by existing. Locals will stare at you, refusing to say hello, as if being cordial were a cardinal sin...if they do say hello, it will be done in a way that will make you feel like an outsider. That being said, it seems the only nice folks here are not native.

All in all, Phoenix is like a sun-soaked, voluntary lobotomy for your soul. For those of you who enjoy thinking outside of the box, stay away from this sprawling, concrete hellhole. For those of you who are either masochistic, sadistic, sociopathic or have too much money to care, Phoenix may be the place for you.

The MOST disgusting, gross low class place I ever - 10/1/2014
I lived in Phoenix for 8 years. There is NOWHERE that you can live to escape the non-stop crime. I lived as far north as you could get, within 2 miles of the open desert. I put a brand new RV gate on my house and it was stolen in broad daylight, ripped from the hinges, while I was at work. I put out small yard decorations and those were stolen, too. Then, there was a guy hopped up on something who tried to break into my neighbor's house at 11PM one night. The neighbor was an ex-cop and pointed her revolver in the guy's face as he was climbing into their kitchen window. The guy went to the next house, took a shovel and tried to break the stained glass in the front door. That neighbor was an Arizona native - he promptly went and got his gun and tried to shoot the perpetrator thru the front door. He missed. The police came in 8 squad cars and an overhead helicopter and arrested the guy. They told the homeowner that he was lucky that he missed when he shot because they would have to arrest him because you can't shoot someone until they're all the way in your home! The perpetrator would not give his name and the police had no way of knowing who he was since he was not a legal resident of this country, so they let him go!! That was it for me - I sold my home and left.

There are people who approach you in the parking lots of stores begging for money, con games galore, homeless people standing on the street corners with babies in diapers trying to play on your sympathy to get money.

There are stray dogs everywhere and colonies of feral cats running around. I called animal control to ask them to come and get the cats because they were using my yard as a toilet - I had piles everywhere. I was told that "they don't do that". I called one morning to report a baby kitten on a roof, as it was already close to one hundred degrees and was told "it got up there by itself, it should be able to get down by itself."

I had neighbors in the block behind me that constantly invited about a hundred people over for parties. They'd all stand in the street guzzling beer and blasting ethnic music and my neighbor or I would have to call the police. Many times, they wouldn't even show up. I walked over there one time during a party and saw young teenagers standing in the street chugging beer. I called the police about the noise and also told them about the underage drinkers. A policeman came to my house and told me it was an "accepted cultural practice" in the country where these people came from. Really?? So, they don't have to conform to American law???

When the downturn happened in 2009, many of these people packed and left. The houses were TRASHED inside - that's why the housing values went down so fast in Phoenix. I sold my home for a huge loss and moved out of Arizona. I had a great job that I still miss a lot. Phoenix has so much potential; it's a real shame that it's such a mess there.

Compare Phoenix, Arizona to any other place in the USA.

Select a New Section: