Search for any place in the USA:

SperlingViews - Tucson, Arizona

Overview, People, Health, Economy, Housing, Rankings, Climate, Crime
Education, Comments, Transportation, Cost of Living, Religion, Voting

76.52% of people are white, 4.92% are black, 2.58% are asian, 2.56% are native american, and 10.00% claim 'Other'. 41.82% of the people in Tucson, AZ, claim hispanic ethnicity (meaning 58.18% are non-hispanic).

Have an opinion about Tucson? Leave a comment.

Christine
The Workforce - 9/14/2013

Tucson is delightful for retirees who want a warmer winter! But for year rounders the summer is very hot and the heat lasts for 5 months. The workforce here is very cut throat and unfriendly and that has gotten worse since the housing crunch of 2008. Over time it is possible to make some friends, but difficult to get together because of the large spread out city and lack of freeways. My friends are always stressed out over their jobs. It's become a "border city" which has it's own feeling of unrest. Come here for winter weather, but not necessarily to get ahead financially from the standpoint of a good job.[read more...]

Eric
Worst place on earth to live. - 8/18/2013

All I could find on the internet about tucson were Pictures of Mt Lemon( which is partially burnt down), The desert Museum, Sabino Canyon, Neighborhoods North of River, and Saguaro National Monument. This only represents 10% of Tucson, The majority of this town is completely run down, crime ridden, and down right disgusting. I was born and raised here, over the past 10 years I have watched the town I once loved change astronomically, It is a terrible place to live, and an even worse town to try and raise a family. It is a great place to live if you enjoy carrying a gun in your waist, dealing drugs, and robbing innocent people, if this is the lifestyle you choose to live than you will feel right at home here in Tucson. The Summers are unbearable it gets to be 120 at times, with very few activities for relief, there are some resort pools to cool off at, if you can get a room, if you do they are discounted so much in the summer that the pool is filled with low life's and drunks. There is truly no relief from the heat you are a prisoner in your own home during the day time hours, you are forced to go out at night when it is cooler, needless to say this is when the majority of thugs, gang bangers, and drug addicts roam the streets. We do not have any sports teams to watch, everyone down here makes a huge deal about a college football team (The Wildcats) a total joke! They tailgate down by the U of A before games, it is sad to watch this town try and do it like the big boys (AZ Cardinals) up in PHX. Tucson has a terrible problem with the homeless population, they are not like trendy homeless kids they are like, scary, drug addict mentally ill homeless people. They flock here due to the dry climate and warm winters, in the dead of summer they move into Psychiatric facilities and shelters, in the winter they roam the streets and stand on traffic islands panhandling. If you are thinking of moving here "DO NOT DO IT" If you live here and are thinking of leaving, get out before it gets worse, or you end up dead. I will be leaving here real soon and never coming back.[read more...]

carla
nice winters, miserable long summers - 6/4/2013

while winters are nearly perfect, the hot weather of summer drags out for 5-6 months.[read more...]

Fleur
Tucson is what you make of it. - 4/13/2013

I have never seen so many whiney babies in all my life. Tucson is hot, Tucson has mountains, Tucson has people, bikers, bugs, animals, different languages. Really?? I swear you people need to move to a deserted island where you don't have to see anyone ever. All the issues you have you will have wherever you go. Why? Because you are miserable. Tucson is hot? What clued you in? The fact that it's in the middle of the desert? I have lived here 8 years and Tucson can be as wonderful or as miserable as you make it. I researched the city thoroughly before moving here and chose to live in the foothills as it is very safe and easy to get around. A decent one bedroom with all utilities paid and a million dollar view of the mountains is $675 a month. The roads arent the best, so you drive slowly and give yourself more time to get where you need to go. Plenty of museums and history to see here, but mostly it's a place to get outside and enjoy the sunshine. There are bad areas of town like most cities. As far as people not being friendly, literally my first day here I went to pick up food for my BF and I at Basil's on Sunrise and was chatting with the owner about just moving here. He threw in a huge antipasta salad and bread as a "welcome to tucson". As far as making 20% less than other places, may be, if you lived in a huge city. Pay here is about average as far as the rest of the country, but the cost of living is WAY lower. You get out of life what you put into it, people. If you lived here 20 to 50 years and are miserable, move for heaven's sake. We won't miss you. Tucson is a beautiful town, rich in history, culture and people.[read more...]

Sperling's WORST places - 3/21/2013

Where to start? Moved to Tucson from Queens, NY about 5 year ago. Needed a change in my life and the cost of living is much better in Tucson. However, that is the only positive thing I have to say about Tucson. When first locating to Tucson, I was under the impression that people would be friendlier. How badly I was mistaken. Within the first 2 months of living in Tucson, I realized the people are the rudest people I have come across. Mind you I have been to 30+ U.S. states. No class or manners, and they'd much rather flip you off, cut ahead of you in line, or argue with you than act civil. The meth problem is out of control. These meth heads will sell their newborn child to get a quick fix, and anything in between. The city is a dirty, dilapidated, rat-infested hell hole filled with alcoholics, criminals and Illegals. I literally had illegals run through my back yard when I was living there and had the border patrol come on my property. Nice people are few and far between. Maybe because the heat has sucked every ounce of dignity out of them. A relative of mine compared Arizona to Australia a few centuries ago where they sent all the convicts and criminals. YES, some of the scenery is beautiful. So maybe that's two things I found good in Tucson. All in all, there's probably 40 or so better states in the union to relocate to. Why on earth anyone would live here on their own accord is beyond me. Maybe it's because everyone likes to play dress up and pretend they're Wyatt Earp then get in their Prius and sip decaf lattes while talking on their iPod. What a city full of phony bolognas and crooks. If you are wise, you'd be best to STAY AWAY. [read more...]

alex
crime - 3/11/2013

nice people;nice climate;but crime is pretty high....it doesn`t make sense to me;as nice as people are;generally speaking....[read more...]

Bp
Its a Very safe city - - 3/8/2013

I moved here from Dallas 3 years ago. I was so used to the gang violence, theft and all things that ruin towns. I have been so surprised that people leave things unlocked, outside, and so on and it is safe. Due to the huge amount of bicycles and the college here - bikes can be victims pretty easy. I love Tucson and love the weather here - no tornados, ice storms (unless they are laughable ones), its not too dusty like i thought it would be at all. Love the dry climate and not dripping in sweat like Dallas, where I had to bathe three times a day just to keep on. Love the mountains, the clear clear skies, clean air, very seldom windy, usually 7 mph, I love being surrounded by mountains and the beauty of palm trees right beside huge sahauro cactus (the tall ones with arms are everywhere) along with many other types of cactus. The freeway goes around Tucson so there is no transient freeway traffic to get in the way of the slow moving traffic. Such a courteous city they have bike lanes on practically all streets with wide clearance. The fire department here is stupendous! They are on the scene in a matter of seconds no matter if the emergency is big or small for rich or poor. Medical here is fabulous as well as social help programs. Its a very healthy and well living fun community. Lots of cool people I have come to call friends are hippies or music lovers of all kinds who stepped out of the rat race and back into a time where there was conversation, relaxation and safe get togethers of up to a hundred people with no drive by shootings to mess it up. Also the police here are very helpful and friendly, not jerks. I've been to lots of parties out here where if it was going on in Dallas the whole place would be shut down and everybody hauled off - for nothing much. Pot is very widespread out here may explain the laid backedness. There are other drug activities out here but nothing like Dallas. I worked with gangs there for 40 years, I know crime and I know safe. But I didn't know chilled out beautiful life in the high desert. Make Tucson your home... you won't be sorry.[read more...]

Yara
Great - 3/7/2013

Great[read more...]

Reham
Tucson's cost of living - 3/7/2013

It's extremely easy to live in Tucson - money wise.[read more...]

John
Kick Back In the Old Pueblo - 2/18/2013

This is still a college town that is known for its cultural diversity and western hospitality. The winter is the best time of year for winter visitors (snow birds) to come and thaw out play golf, hike, site see and just enjoy the outdoors. Here you can be nice and warm on the desert floor playing tennis in the morning and go snow skiing up on Mt. Lemmon in the afternoon. We have a vibrant music community with a symphony and pops orchestra as well local music scene spanning everything from rock, jazz, folk, latin and everything in between. This month (February 2013) we have the Accenture Match Play, Gem and Mineral Show, Major League Soccer, Rodeo and U of A sports-not bad for "the old pueblo" in the desert southwest. The economy here is sluggish at best with our roads badly in need of repair around the city. The locals voted for another tax increase to 9.1% last November. The city council has seemed more interested in expanding social programs than in creating a growth oriented future by keeping jobs here and attract business from heavily taxed states like California. Real estate values are beginning to go up which is a good sign we may see better days ahead![read more...]

steve
Best place to live - 1/26/2013

If hot summers get to you travel to a cooler climate. However if you hate the cold like winter in the east this is the place to live. Winters are very mild with a few cold periods that are mild compared to the rest of the country. I love the hot summers which you have to battle out like the cold in the east. Have a pool?: jump in with a drink and cool off. Get a little tan and soon you will love the hot weather as much as the beautiful winters. Thousands come here in the winter. We call them Snowbirds, With affection. Mostly happy go lucky visitors who you can have some grate conservations. All in all I love this place.[read more...]

ed
Tucson has to change - 12/21/2012

I want to give you my perspective on living in tucson, az. I have lived in The bronx, NY, Lakewood, nj, phoenix, az, denver, co, new york city, and now tucson, az. I am a family man and have been working over 20 years in my profession. There are positives and negatives of any choice, to be fair. Positives: the air quality is really good here. Visually, that means you can see the natural beauty here. You can't in phoenix. Although Tucson smells like a sewer everywhere. (Sewer problems). There is a lot of beautiful nature here. That means you have areas that are wonderful to be in and enjoy with hiking, biking, etc. although that can be dangerous here because of the out of control crime. That's it for the positive. Now the negatives: crime-completely out of control everywhere and authorities have no plans of changing that neither does anyone care. Expect to get victimized here. Poverty, whoa! Massive and everywhere. The rich here separate themselves from the poor. This is a very poor town. Tucson is very run down and the authorities dont care. It looks like the great depression never left here. We are the northern border city of the U.S. it kind of looks like mexico. That accounts for the poverty, crime, and rundown look here. Pay is horrifying here and so is the housing stock. There are no families downtown, mostly singles from the universities. They like it here because lots singles here, but this is not an ideal place to raise a family. Landlords are running lots of scams because they can easily take advantage of students. You can walk downtown and bike, but not designed for bikers, could get killed on your bike. Downtown becoming yuppie now and dont care for it. They are just taking every dollar out of working man's pocket. Cultural stuff is repetitive and useless and overcrowded, although some of it is good. Tucson people are arrogant about Tucson which is obvious ridiculous. Weather: yikes! Global warming is here. 10 months of year 100 degrees is almost here and 2 months freezing weather, occassion nice day. Overall, i would recommend to run as far as you can from this place. It's not going to make it. [read more...]

Dee
Don't Come Here - 11/15/2012

If you are thinking about moving to Tucson, DON'T unless you are going to retire! This is the most backwards state ever. I've lived here for 5 years because my husband's job relocated him. I wished we would have not taken the promotion. The people here are nice and welcoming, but that's it! The wages here are so low you can't earn a decent living. It doesn't matter if you have a degree, skills the pay is still crappy. The schools suck. Although I live in a upper middle class neighborhood the quality of education in the public schools is lacking. If you don't believe me research AZ's ranking among educating. My husband and I are trying desperately to leave this place. It robs you of you spirit. It is a college town and a prison town. The market is saturated with low paying service jobs and the employers are so use to paying low wages because they hire illegal workers, I think it will take decades to catch up and stop living in fantasy land. There is a lot of hate towards the Mexican people here, there is a lot of crime, drug abuse and child abuse. Please do you're research before coming here. The weather is great, but that's it.[read more...]

Duomatic
Tucson - 10/14/2012

Great weather, summers tolerable, great biking, hiking, outdoors, low traffic, low cost of living, great culture.[read more...]

Guadalupe
Tucson - 10/10/2012

Tucson is an amazing city to live in. It has the feel of a small town but is incredibly big. The infrastructure of roads is poor but the people are great. It is definitely a college town. The spirit of the town is evident through the support that they provide to The University of Arizona. [read more...]

Scarlett
College Town - 10/10/2012

Tucson has a uniqueness about it that you'll never find anywhere else. It has a strange, eclectic sort of culture that is fascinating. This is exemplified on the ever popular 4th Avenue District and the Downtown area. Even among the potholes and terrible traffic, there will always be a place in my heart for Tucson. It's perfect for the college student, because it lends to adventurous weekends, and making memories and stories to last you a lifetime. [read more...]

Megan