Account Created

Thank you for Signing up with Bestplaces.net.
Check your email to verify your account.

Forgot Password?

Enter your email address and your
password will be emailed to you.

To save favorite places, get alerts
or newsletters -- all free.

Forgot password?

Don't have an account? SIGN UP

To save favorite places, get alerts
or newsletters -- all free.

By signing up you agree to the Sperling's BestPlaces Terms of Service & Privacy Policy.

Already have an account? LOGIN

We have place information on 13 very cool categories, pick one or scroll down to see an overview.

questions - 10/14/2015
With my 900,000 townhouse in Silicon Valley, I could afford to retire to Tuscon very easily. I am looking to perhaps own a small business or perhaps volunteer my time, as I am a teacher. I will easily be able to aford a nice townhouse or house. Is there a lot of places to volunteer? Would there be interested people in a book club? How is UOA in regards to being a returning student at 62? I grew up in the heat of Phoenix and I can manage that learning curve again? What are the creative options in Tuscon?

Arizona Revised Statute passed in 2005 - 8/23/2015
13-2912. Unlawful introduction of disease or parasite; classification

A. It is unlawful for a person to knowingly introduce into this state a disease or parasite of animals or poultry that constitutes a threat to:

1. Livestock or poultry industry in this state.

2. Human health.

3. Human life.

B. This section does not apply to research conducted by government or educational institutions.

C. A violation of subsection A:

1. Paragraph 1 is a class 5 felony.

2. Paragraph 2 is a class 4 felony.

3. Paragraph 3 is a class 2 felony.

The end of the World-Tucson - 8/8/2015
Absolutely the worst place ever. The economy sucks unless you think $9.00/hour is great pay, like most Tucson natives. The phrase " low expectations" should be the city slogan. If you like people who wear the same smelly clothes 4-5 days without a change or a shower, Tucson is for you. The locals are the rudest, dumbest people on the planet and the " snow birds" are just a bunch of pissy geezers from someplace like Minnesota
If you idea of a great meal is beans and tortillas, it's your spot. If you consider hiking the same dusty desert 50 times fun, or if you have fun riding a bike in 110 degree weather come on down.
On the other hand, if your IQ is higher than your shoe size, you will hate this poverty stricken dump.

Hot hot hot - 3/31/2015
If you like hiking in the mountains its a good place. If you like really hot places its a good place.

Tucson - The Best place on earth - 3/16/2015
There are so many things to do here in the sunny Old Pueblo. First you can start the day with a hike in Sabino Canyon, enjoy the snow melt running through the canyons and see the changes in landscape from desert floor to soaring pines in the sky. Take a stroll on the University of Arizona campus, stroll Starr Pass resort in the volcanic Tucson Mountains. With 365 days of Sunshine the pools are always the place to be. There are so many great resort pools in Tucson like the Ritz Carlton in Marana, Ventana and La Paloma in the Catalina Foothills. The dude ranch at Tanque Verde Ranch. Take a horse into the Rincon mountain sunrise and sunset. Eat a cowboy steak under the stars around the fire. This place is beautiful. The school systems are getting better. As a TUSD student myself I can vouch first hand. They are not the best, but not the worst either. I had a great school experience here. Not to mention the Greatest university in the world is here. U of A!!! The golf, shopping, dining, and entertainment all work great. The cost of living is minimal. Real estate prices are great and very affordable. The housing market is on an upward pace right now. I am a local Real Estate Professional. For more info on the market and homes in Southern Arizona contact me at (520) 404-4135 or go to my website www.Justin-Bentley.com

Think again before you move here! - 2/14/2015
The schools are some of the worst in the country. I am a K-12 educator working in the Sunnyside District, so I know first hand how bad it is. Furthermore, the weather is wicked hot in the summer and all real activity dies. Everyone wants to get the heck out of here, and businesses either suffer or close up every summer because nobody with money stays. It's very hard to have gainful employment here and vandalism and theft are the top crimes. It's a very grungy city and the planning (if you could call it that) is inadequate. Roads are full of potholes and adequate drainage when we have monsoonal floods is absent! Parts of Speedway and Grant could destroy your car! What I do like about Tucson is the bike paths, but that's about it.People, unless you like being poor and having your things stolen and damaged, STAY AWAY! I'm looking for my way out!

Valley Fever - 2/13/2015
I once lived in Tucson for about 2 years back in the 60's. I've been living in California for the last 50 years but it is very expensive. I always liked Tucson and I would really like to move back for retirement. But I am very worried about Valley Fever. I'm 63 years old with asthma. How much of a risk would I be taking by moving back to Tucson? California is nice but I love the Sonoran Desert. And you just can't beat an Arizona sunset. Thank you.

Not for us. - 2/5/2015
Move here -if you like the mountains or want to live by the mountains, biking, warm weather, want to retire, Small town feel, want to wear shorts everywhere you go and I mean everywhere, potholes, lots of white trash trailer parks, can't get enough of the million saguaros and never wanting to visit the other side of city because lack of freeways. There are lots bars here and no nightclubs to get excited about. By the way if you have nonwhite friends like I do tell them they are not warmly welcomed.

Don't move here if- you are expecting excitement, want classier malls, nightlife, nice restaurants, like to dress up or a more cosmopolitan feel, and easy freeway access.

Don't make the same mistake I did. Before you move here write a list of expectations and visit for 1 week mon-fri and you will see what I mean. Been living here for 3 years time to go. The best about tucson is that you are 1.5 hours from Phoenix.

Tucson - 12/29/2014
Tucson seems like it is two different cities: one dirty and run-down, the other is upscale and beautiful. I have lived here for about 2.5 years and have a love hate relationship with Tucson. The weather for about 6-7 months of the year is great! but the summer of 100+ weather seems to never end (May-Sept). With little kids, it does really seem like you are stuck inside during this time. There are some places to go but it almost seems like the flip side of a winter somewhere in the midwest where you cant do much for the winter months. And the roads are horrible! Most are 20-30 years old without upkeep. And nobody has any grass. I miss the grass! If you have kids, you must avoid the TUSD like the plague. Thank goodness for the Vail, Catalina, and Oro Valley school districts (which are some of the best in the state; Vail is actually rated the best in AZ). Again, this goes back to my point of two different cities
The foothills and the north are very nice and the Tucson has great food! Not just Mexican food but many different types of food with great restaurants, both local and chains. The amount of sunny days is great. I never look at the weather forecast here because it's always sunny and either hot or not hot, depending on the time of year.
Overall, I'm kind of indifferent about staying here longterm. I could and would be okay with it. I could just as well leave and think I wouldn't want to move back here.

Lubbock, TX
Amazing place to live - 12/27/2014
Don't listen to a word about people who think Tucson sucks, it doesn't, I don't know what all the negative hype on the internet is all about, but I don't think anyone has really stayed in Tucson longer than a month. I lived here for a few years because I got a job offer. First of all, it's very spread out, Pima county is the same size as Maricopa County, which is the metropolitan area of Phoenix, but it's at least four times as small, though metropolitan Tucson is growing, there are over 1 million people living in the metropolitan area. Second is the scenery, Tucson is arguably just as beautiful as Denver, but is a way better place to stay, there are good views everywhere. The people in Tucson are also really friendly and nice, I have no idea what the other people are talking about when they say there are homeless and shady people everywhere in Tucson. Third is the weather, people say it's extremely hot and is 115 degrees, first of all I can tell you that is complete lie, the highest temperature ever recorded in Tucson was 115 degrees, second, even though it's literally in the desert the climate is actually a lot cooler than Phoenix because of the high elevation. The winters are cool but aren't freezing, averaging 64 to 75 degrees, the summer is the only time the temperature constantly exceeds 90 degrees, but you're in the desert, what do you expect? Tucson also has the conveniences of a big city, better transportation is one of them, there is a public bus system, which is useful if you don't have a car. Another plus is that Tucson has an amazing public school system, I wonder what the other people are talking about, all of the schools are ranked high, especially if you live in the Catalina Foothills area. The income taxes are also extremely low. There are also a lot of attractions and things to do in Tuscon than way more cities in the 500,000 population mark, there is the Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum, which has a zoo, museum, and aquarium combined, the Gardens which show various desert plants you can't see anywhere else, Pima Canyon, Old Tucson, which has a lot of culture and history about the city's early days, and the Pima Air and Space Museum, which ahs a large collection of aircraft. Tucson is a great place to live, I wouldn't have moved if I hadn't got a better job offer.

I lived in Tucson all my life - 11/18/2014
And I have no idea why someone would choose to live here. My parents were headed to California and stopped here in Tucson and decided they liked the parched and dusty desert instead. In Tucson there are only a few places to make money: Raytheon, the University of Arizona and in the medical field. I have been told in job interviews that they pay so little you can keep your food stamps and AHCCCS (which I don't have because I'm single with no children). Arizona also ranks 49 out of 50 for our public education. Great if you are retired but if you have kids, plan to home school.

Tucson is a great place to live - 11/2/2014
I can only reiterate what a previous reviewer said to those who can find nothing but bad things to say about Tucson: LEAVE!! Get out now! We don't need you. It's the people with bad attitudes who drag Tucson down.

I am a long long shot from being a wealthy person yet I find Tucson to be a great place to live... and I live in what is considered "central" Tucson... in other words, not out in the suburbs.

I'm not going to spend the time to list all the pros of Tucson, but there are many. Yes, Tucson has some problems too - what city doesn't?! But if one is interested in Tucson as a place to live, do the research yourself - come and visit us and make up your own mind. Moving to Tucson was the best decision of my life and I say that without exaggeration. It could be for you too, but you've got to make a little effort - both before you move here and when you move here. Your home is what you make of it and Tucson makes it very easy, in my opinion, to carve out a lovely, comfortable and safe little space for yourself in an absolutely beautiful part of the desert southwest. Best of luck everyone!

Proceed With Caution - 10/21/2014
If you can afford housing in the foothills or gated communities, you may have a better experience here as this shields you from the homeless at every corner and trash accumulating at the roadside throughout most of the city. Coming from the airport, shuttle vans move the resort and spa bound through ugly and worn south Tucson. The roads are of poor quality with multiple pot holes. The roadway system is outdated and unable to move traffic about efficiently which results in too many cases of road rage. Angry people. Many operating in survival mode. Disengaged and disconnected heavy spirits who reflect the surrounding of waste and hopelessness. A lack of pride is evident as there is no effort being made to make the city look more appealing.
The agreeable weather most of the year and beauty of the desert do not make up for all the negatives, we sure have tried though.
Not a good place to raise a family. Poor school systems and AZ spends little on students. Research and look elsewhere to have a positive prosperous future.

Saddlebrooke - 9/23/2014
You can't beat the weather most of the year if you live at 3500 feet to 5500 feet. Saddlebrooke AZ is beautiful.

Living in Tucson - 8/20/2014
I've read a lot of bad comments about living here, but I have to disagree with them. I am a Tucson native and love it. Some of the comments I read said you need to carry a gun at your waist, that we are behind the times, we have too much crime and it's hard to make friends here. Tucson is one of the friendliest places. I have lots of friends and think it depends on your attitude about making friends. I have never carried a gun at my waist and I'm 52 years old. I have friends that do, but that is only because they can, not because they feel they need to. As far as crime goes, every city has their fair share of crime. Do your research before you put Tucson down, and not just by reading comments from people who don't like it. Remember most people just post what they are unhappy about instead of what their happy about. If Tucson is such a bad place to live, then why do the winter visitors keep coming back. It's not just for the weather. There are always new people moving here that like and can't think of ever living anywhere else. I have family that has moved away and couldn't wait to get back home to Tucson. If you have a bad attitude about Tucson, then all you are going to see are the bad things instead of the good. We are a community that helps one another.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

Compare Tucson, Arizona to any other place in the USA.