Select a New Section:

Oakland

Start Your Review of Oakland, CA

12/4/2014
Best Weather in The U.S. says PG&E
Years ago, I read in the PG&E newsletter included with the electric bill that Oakland has the least heating days and least air conditioning days of any city of it's size in the U.S. I've been looking for another place to move for retirement so I've researched weather all over the world to find a retirement spot.

There are only 4 areas in the world that have this coastal Mediterranean weather. The other three are in other countries: Africa, Australia, and the Mediterranean area.

4/22/2014
The New Face of Oakland
Oakland is rapidly changing from a working class city to one filled with tech refugees from the high priced San Francisco. The good news is we have more restaurants, bars, clubs and small businesses flourishing in west Oakland. The bad news is the crowds. Gone are the days when you could park anywhere, walk down the street in relative comfort and get to the bar in a matter or minutes. Oh well, the changes are still for the best.
Oakland Rocks

4/11/2014
Unsustainable cost of living
We are looking to move out of the San Francisco Bay Area, simply because we can't afford it. We would need to make a combined income of approximately $400,000 in order to save the kind of money we would need for a down payment on a "modest" home here. Even a house in rough shape goes for $500,000 around here. I've seen single bedroom, single bath homes go for $750,000 near me. It's appalling. To make it even more appalling, the market is still so competitive you need at least 20% down payment to get in the door. That's minimum $100,000. If it weren't for that, and how unsustainable that is once you layer in having kids, retiring, etc. I would live here. I would need to win the lottery or find myself a wealthy individual to make me a benefactor. It's such a shame. What a beautiful place to live.

8/8/2011
best place ived lived
january 24,2003 was when i arrived in oakland.i have fond memories there people were very helpful towards me,non biased treated me like the norm.when i was looking to find a place to get insurance the lady on the bus was helpful and told me where it was.also when i was looking for a church this young white lady invited me to her church but also told me of churches where young black men be at.that was helpful since im black myself.people of all ethnicities would speak to me in my neighborhood. sequoyah community church was the best church ived been.really nice people and a diversed church made me felt wanted and appreciated. i was sad when i had to leave oakland,no where ive lived was good to me like oakland. oakland is a culturally sensitive diversed city which i liked,the nbas warriors have loyal fans.

7/25/2010
The Real Oakland
The real Oakland is not what the media portrays. It is a beautiful city.
The topography is awesome. Oakland is one of the most diverse cities in the country...actually I believe it is second.

The crime factor is a reality. However the majority of it is in the flat lands; the neighborhoods of east and west Oakland.

The million dollar mansions in the Oakland hills are breath taking. Lake Merritt is a beautiful sanctuary to many rare birds and Jack London Square is a haven of culture, wonderful eateries and waterfront views.
This is a beautiful place.. but don't take my word for it - come visit!

3/13/2010
I Simply Love Oakland
I lived in San Francisco; yet, I spent more time in the Oakland parks and museums than I did in the same of my own city. If I was in CA, today, I'd see Oakland first, headed for Lake Merritt. Another favorite area was East Oakland [Fruitvale] I was at home there,
not in most of SF. During recessions, crime always increases; the current rate of crime is not forever. Just stay alert and don't look lost; yes, one can be a tourist, but you don't have to look like a tourist. If Juarez, Mexico had as much to offer as Oakland, I'd still be living there.

11/21/2009
pretty fabulous weather in oakland
nice breezes blow in off the bay in the summer - you don't even need air conditioning. and perfect climate for gardening 10 months of the year!

10/5/2009
Dining and Culture in the East Bay
One does not have to venture over the Bay Bridge to "the City"(San Francisco) for a night out. Oakland has more than it's fair share of first class restaurants (Oliveto, Bay Wolf, Wood Tavern, A Cote, Ozumo) and nightlife (Yoshi's, Fox Theater). Add to this a myriad of BBQ/Soul Food and international fare, gourmet markets, Chinatown and several weekly farmer's markets year round and you have a world class dining destination.

4/16/2009
Vibrant and diverse population
Been in the Bay Area the past 30 years but never knew Oakland. Then 2 years ago a housing opportunity too good to pass up made Oakland my new home. I discovered an incredibly vibrant and diverse population, - creative, active and activist, down-to-earth, native Oaklanders & newcomers from everywhere. although Oakland does have its problems w/ serious crimes, the balanced perspective should include the wonderful people here and unbeatable climate - even by California standards.

6/3/2008
It all depends on what part of Oakland you live in
It gets so mad when people say Oakland is a bad place to live! It all depends on what part of Oakland you live in. East Oakland is really what you hear of all the time when you hear about drugs, crime, etc. Most of the crime that goes on in Oakland is in East Oakland. I’m from Oakland (North Oakland, close to the Berkeley boarder line). Now not evening all of East Oakland is bad. Once you get to certain areas in East Oakland you will realize that it is bad. For example E.14th Street (International Blvd) is bad from the beginning from lake merit on up till you hit the city of San Leandro. One good part of east Oakland is the Laurel district. It's a very diverse area. Nice hardly too much crime in that area. As if you live in 20, 30, 40, 50, 60, 70, 80, 90 and part of the 100’s Avenues. Believe it or not that where most of Oakland’s crime occurs.
But let me say I would love to live here it just to live in a good area in Oakland you would have to pay more for the price of a home. I grew up in the lower Rockridge area in Oakland. Many of people in the area (Rockridge) say that they love it there and wouldn’t want to move because it such a family oriented area. So get the facts. Not all of Oakland is bad. Oakland is divided in 4 parts North Oakland, West Oakland, East Oakland and Downtown Oakland. So the next time you watch the news, read the newspaper, or hear something word of mouth. Ask or see what area of Oakland it happens in!

6/2/2008
OAKLAND IS TOO NOISY! Bad schools, high crime, dru
and the people who grow up in the environment of the flats, and believe me, there are many, many, many inconsiderate, noisy people that infiltrate and destroy the beautiful and peaceful environments of the good areas--not only with crime, but with NOISE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you live in one of those low quality, substandard houses, and you have bad schools, high crime, drug dealing, and overburdened police, you will also have a lot of NOISE! AND IT WILL BE IN YOUR HOUSE ALL DAY. YOU CANNOT ESCAPE FROM THE NOISE! AND OCCASIONALLY YOU WILL BE UNABLE TO CONCENTRATE BECAUSE OF THE SMALL PEOPLE WITH REALLY BIG AMPLIFIED STEREOS! TOO MUCH BOOM! BOOM! A SPOILED AND INCONSIDERATE UNDERCLASS THAT SPENDS ITS MONEY ON NUISANCES SUCH AS AMPLIFIERS, BASKET BALL COURTS, ILLEGAL, NOISY MOTORIZED SCOOTERS, GUNS, FIREWORKS, ETC...IT SUCKS HERE. I FEEL LIKE I LIVE IN A PRISON.

Last I heard the local governments were sending recent parolees to Oakland, and the police department has been discussing hiring cops with criminal records...It doesn't bode well for the NOISY future. We are not free in Oakland.

6/2/2008
OAKLAND IS TOO NOISY! Bad schools, high crime, dru

3/29/2008
Mercedes Repair and Parts in Oakland CA
* Established in 1981 with 4 departments to serve your Mercedes-Benz needs
* Full service department: servicing Mercedes-Benz models from the 70's to present
* Accessories showroom: the latest headlight rings, muffler tips, body kits, etc.
* Wheels department: 100's of Mercedes-Benz wheels in stock
* Parts department: over 1 million new, after market and used Mercedes-Benz parts in stock

We Make It Easy!

All Mercedes is the largest independent Mercedes-Benz servicing facility in the Oakland/East Bay Area. Because of the scale and efficiency of our operation, we are able to meet your specific needs. We will schedule an appointment at your convenience and a service manager will be available to ride along with you in your vehicle to identify all of your concerns and to offer their expert advice.

Some of the services offered exclusively by All Mercedes include:

Faster and more convenient appointments

Shuttle service to your home, office or BART

Vehicle rental services available

Highly trained technicians

Comfortable customer lounge
www.allmercedes.com

3/10/2008
Increasing property crime
Oakland has been seeing a resergance of property crime lately. How sad.

2/11/2008
Oakland- Bay Area
it's great to love here for the experience. rent is terrible and there is no way I will be able to even buy a house. No wonder it is such a transient population, who could raise a family here?!

1 2 3

Compare Oakland, California to any other place in the USA.

Select a New Section: