Search for any place in the USA:

SperlingViews - Orange, California

Overview, People, Health, Economy, Housing, Rankings, Climate, Crime
Education, Comments, Transportation, Cost of Living, Religion, Voting

61.19% of people are white, 1.18% are black, 13.15% are asian, 0.44% are native american, and 20.82% claim 'Other'. 37.58% of the people in Orange, CA, claim hispanic ethnicity (meaning 62.42% are non-hispanic).

Have an opinion about Orange? Leave a comment.

candice
Financially challenging for a young middle class f - 10/6/2013

Southern California is a wonderful place to live (if you can afford it). Currently, we are a family of 3- myself, my husband and our son. We are FINALLY thinking it may be possible to have another child, but we had to sell our condo to pay off some debt and I believe we'll only be renting now until we move out of state. Our household income is in the 110k-130k range and between paying for 2 children in childcare and renting an apartment, it will be nearly impossible for us to save enough for a downpayment on a decent property here. In order to find something affordable our commute to and from work would be horrific and then when do we spend time with our children. Southern California is a wonderful place for families with a higher income, or maybe that have family support for childcare (and could save that $2,000/month), but since we don't have that, I believe we need to move out of state to obtain the quality of life we've always looked forward to. [read more...]

gladys
Access to health care - 11/29/2010

Numerous highly rated hospitals are located within a 20 mile radius. Variety of hospitals include specialty, such as Childrens Hospital of Orange County; private; university; bed size of less than 99; bed size of greater than 500[read more...]

Jim
Orange California - 9/4/2010

The Weather is great. However, the housing, jobs, schools and the State Government is not..[read more...]

Laura J
Cost of living in Orange, California - 4/27/2010

With the recent decline in the real estate market, housing in Orange may become affordable for more folks. Still, you should expect to pay at least $400,000 for a modest sized, 1950's era ranch style home. Compared to much of the rest of the country, this is still fairly pricey. [read more...]

Jarrod
The weather nice - 8/27/2008

I like the weather here because it's not to humid or cold.

Stephen
The Good Life - 4/2/2008

Born and raised in Orange County, I went away to the Midwest for college. After four years in fly-over country, I came back home to Orange County. Boy how you take the weather and beach for granted while you're here and miss them when you're gone. I'm so glad to see them again. Honestly, Orange County is possibly the nicest place to live in the country. Granted it's expensive and crowded, but it has everything one might be looking for. I'll agree with the previous poster, you pay for what you get, and that holds very true in Orange County. To the outsider, Orange County looks affluent and exclusive. Everyone owns a mansion, a yacht, a Rolls-Royce, a private plane, a country club membership, etc. In some parts of Orange County, this is very true. Newport Beach and Laguna Beach in particular are well known for their wealthy residents. However, that is not true for the entire county. Let me give you the "Real REAL Orange County", not what is shown on "The O.C." or MTV. Orange County has an excellent location. Close enough to L.A. to go up there everyday, but far enough away so you can breath. San Diego is only 90 miles to the south. Being between these two renowned cities is pretty great, but add to that being within 10-15 miles to the beach and two hours to hiking and skiing in the mountains. To top it off, Las Vegas is four hours away, Phoenix five and San Francisco six. You have many, many world-class destinations six hours or less away. If you chose to fly, John Wayne Airport is very convenient, clean and accessible. It's one of the best airports I believe in the country. Orange County has many different types of communities. There are gated communities for those who want safety and security. There are middle class communities rich in diversity and strong in family values. There are urban communities for young adults or singles. There is living by the beaches, inland, or in the canyons. There are mansions, apartments and shacks. There are cultural centers and historic areas. People who think Orange County is just plastic surgery and materialism would be very surprised to go into places like Orange and Tustin and see their old town areas. Orange County actually has history and culture within it, believe it or not. Things to do? Lets see: you can go to one of the many beach communities. Laguna is very beautiful and has a great batch of museums and art galleries. Huntington is a great place for younger people to go, and has some of the best surfing in the country. Whale Watch at Dana Point or get a frozen banana at Balboa Island. Check out Knotts Berry Farm or Disneyland. Take in an Angels or Ducks game. Shop at one of the many famous shopping centers, including Fashion Island, Irvine Spectrum or South Coast Plaza. Bike along one of the trails, play golf at one of the courses, or hike in the canyons and mountains. Dine at one of the numerous restaurants. You have many, many options. Orange County is diverse. Whites, Hispanics, Asians, Middle Easterners and more all call it home. There are many great schools and churches to be a part of in Orange County. Strong universities like University of California-Irvine, Cal State Fullerton and Chapman University all reside in Orange County. Numerous corporations have offices or headquarters in Orange County, so jobs are plentiful. Some of the cities are among the safest in the country. And of course the weather. Almost perfect. Besides January and February having some rain, there are numerous days of sunshine and mild temps. Santa Ana wind events (strong winds from the desert, which sometimes cause wildfires when it's dry out) occasionally can happen as well. Now of course there are negative things about Orange County. One is the cost of living. It's very high here. Luckily housing prices have been dropping lately, so it's slightly easier, but it's still more expensive than most other places. Two, the traffic can be pretty bad here. Not as bad as L.A., but with a high population base that is continually growing, it's a problem. I've learned carpool lanes and side roads, and that helps the commute immensely. South Orange County is a little more plastic and shallow than the North or Central communities, but they also have the bigger houses and the nicer amenities. Some areas of Orange County are not very nice, such as most of Santa Ana. The business district and art district of this city are very nice, but unfortunately this city has a high number of illegal aliens and rundown buildings and houses. Some parts of Anaheim are very nice, while other parts are more rundown. You have many options, so you'll find the best fit. My family lives in Orange, which is a great middle class community. It's very diverse, has a lot of great shops and restaurants, and a great historic area. Overall, Orange County isn't perfect, but it might be the closest thing to the perfect place to live in this country.[read more...]

B
Omaha, NE
Love this place - 5/19/2007

I came here for graduate school and stayed for my lifetime. I love it here. The old town is cool, and it's really close to everything. Disneyland is just down the road, as is Angels Stadium. You have the beach about 20 minutes away. L.A. about 30 minutes away and San Diego about an hour drive away. The weather is beautiful, the sun shining and the temperatures moderate all year round. Don't know how you can get much better than this.[read more...]

robert
housing - 3/26/2007

the cost of housing here is over $600,000. median, but is a great place to live. Orange is central to all of Orange County, that is why so many live here.

on line abortion pill read here order abortion pill

Nelson
Better to rent than to BUY - 8/21/2006

This place is getting redicuolusly expensive to live. It is better to rent a nice house for half the price of the mortgage. There is everything to do. Surf one day the next day go snowboarding or wake boarding. You can shop and eat and eat at some of the most expensive restaurants. Patying is off the hool everynight. Oh and you have to roll with your car clean!!!![read more...]

Annette
I love Orange County - 5/15/2006

I love where I live. I hate that people refer it to "the OC". That old saying holds true here- "You get what you pay for". If you can afford to live in Orange County, you probably will never want to move away. It is a relatively small county with all the action of Los Angeles, and not as much as the hassel. I couldn't ask for better weather. Lots of sunshine, and lots to do. Orange County can be everything to many different people. We have beach cities, for those who want to be by the beach, we have areas near the hills for those who want to feel "far away". We have award winning communities for families who want to live around people that are like them, ee have cities that are trying to recreate the "urban" feel for those who prefer that kind of living, we have entire gated cities, for those who want privacy, we have shacks and we have mansions and estates, we have countless downtown communities, we have the "historic" areas and we have the pockets of cultural communties. We have all types of diversity (political, cultural and religous) if you seek it, but if you prefer to live close to people like you, you won't have any problems finding a perfect place to live. We are 2 hours from LA, San Diego, Big Bear. 3 hours from Mexico, Central CA and 4 hours from Las Vegas. In all honesty, I don't want more people to move here, but I can't have Orange County all to myself.[read more...]

ja
No Go California - 4/15/2006

We are exhausted with the way Southern California, LA, and San Francisco areas are permitting and encouraging the infiltration of the illegal alien in our cities. We will be happy to move from this California.[read more...]

Bp
Close to the Happiest Place on Earth - 12/6/2005

We have great weather. We're close to Disneyland (my second home as a kid) and beaches. The population is pretty diverse and generally welcoming. Old Town is extremely charming. Great economy. My high school offered lots of AP/ honors courses. The University of California in Irvine is only a short commute. Streets are generally clean and the freeways are beautiful, though a bit crowded during the morning and evening, but nothing compared to LA. While I haven't travelled much in the US, I have travelled quite extensively through out Europe. After living abroad I have realized that I took so many things for granted. German weather made me really appreciate Californian sunshine. Latvian customer service made me long for the Disney-esque smiles and the helpfullness that permeate the Orange County retail and tourist service world. There are lots of great churches and resources for christians too. Unfortunately, I'm looking for work else where since housing is far too expensive. But hopefully the housing bubble will burst and I'll be able to move back.

Zeke
Best in the county - 10/31/2005

Close to everything. Historic old town. horse property 5 miles from the freeway. Great place for the 30+ or the college student (Chapman College is in Orange) Craftsman to McMansions Surprisingly sedate for "LA"