Search for any place in the USA:

SperlingViews - Rome, Georgia

Overview, People, Health, Economy, Housing, Rankings, Climate, Crime
Education, Comments, Transportation, Cost of Living, Religion, Voting

59.49% of people are white, 28.47% are black, 1.57% are asian, 1.05% are native american, and 7.59% claim 'Other'. 16.54% of the people in Rome, GA, claim hispanic ethnicity (meaning 83.46% are non-hispanic).

Have an opinion about Rome? Leave a comment.

ramona
Climate - 6/29/2014

Climate is very comfortable. Some humidity, but overall, it isn't too hot or cold![read more...]

Ethan
Rome is Home - 1/12/2013

Rome is a great place to be! It has great housing, awesome schools and colleges, and it is perfect for raising children. Whoever you are, you will surely love Rome, Georgia![read more...]

Erin
No one connected with Islam? - 6/24/2010

In the religion states it has 0.00% connected with Islam in Rome, GA. Wake up ROME!I don't no where this came from but Islam in Rome is alive and well. There are small Mosques (excuse Spelling) scattered around this town that draw Muslims from as far away as Atlanta. 3-4 four years ago Mohammad Sorbagi was arrested in connection with ties to terrorist and funding them, and his group was tied in with the first World trade center bombing. This was in the local news and hushed up real fast. This is all true and documented just do a little research, or stop trying to hide the truth! Rome has not grown because it is run by a bunch of old rednecks that are still fighting the civil war. Signed, A Damn Yankee! [read more...]

mash
Hypocrisy - 10/17/2009

If you are a right-wing republican who thinks all others cultures and religions stink Rome GA is the city for you. People come here thinking they will be accepted but this place is full of hypocrits. I think its a great city if you are a Christian and do not want to mingle with other cultures but I dont suggest moving here. I feel trapped and will get out of here as soon as the opportunity arises. I have a fantastic job and make tons of money but life is not just about career. This city has no soul and the lack of the Interstate in close proximity will not let it grow for decades. This may or maynot be a bad thing depending on what how you describe growth and development. Its population is stagnant,the city has more churches than we can count, has no temples,synagogues,mosques or places of worship for other religions. So if you are comfortable living in a Christianity only,no diversity,nothing-to-do city Rome,GA is the place.Some people love this place. I along with a ton of others hate it. It all depends what you are looking for in life. This is redneck Mecca.[read more...]

Linda Kate
Slow, peaceful life in the Seven Hills of Rome - 10/6/2009

By voting against letting the Interstate Highway come near Rome, it has managed to stay a small, mainly crime-free town where I never even bother locking my door. We have a baseball stadium for our minor league team and many of the restaurant chains found elsewhere, although some well-known ones are missing. Berry College has the largest campus in the world, and is certainly one of the most beautiful. The deer casually wander around right in front of the students without paying them much mind. I'm always surprised at how many famous writers show up during the annual Writers' Conference, and the recent race attracted over 1500 runners. The two hospitals are very well regarded, and many of the doctors are well-known outside of Rome. When I attended Berry as a freshman in '65, many mornings I would wake up to the over powering smell of the paper mill outside of town. That smell is gone now, so some modern conservation laws must have finally been implemented. The city library is beautiful and has plenty of computers for public use. I do miss the university-sized range of books, but that has improved in the almost three years since I've been living here. I have always been an overt civil rights activist, so I was very happily surprised to find NO racial tension in Rome. Everyone seems to get along just fine. I keep thinking that there's got to be some level that I'm not aware of since I'm older and cripple now, but I still live an integrated life, and have yet to run into any. Speaking of being cripple, I needed a small ramp to get my electric triwheel scooter out the door to ride around the 1 1/4 mile path around the small lake I live on. A group of men from one of the churches came and built it for free as part of their Christian service to the community. Two sister who had recently lost their aunt gave me her wheel chair so my aide could take me to the mall and other places where I would have to walk farther than I am able to. There are a lot of nice people here. What do I miss living in Rome? The Farmer's Market, the museums, the concerts, the theater, a progressive political community, the ocean and the drive-on beach at Ormond Beach, FL--but you can't have everything, can you? What would I miss if I left? The wonderful spring 20 minutes away where I get my water, NO rush-hour traffic, the beautiful hills that inspired Rome, Italy to send us, their sister city, a replica of Romulus and Remus being nursed by the wolf, and the friendly, caring people who haven't lost touch with what's important. [read more...]

Linda Kate
Slow, peaceful life in the Seven Hills of Rome - 10/6/2009

John
Rome,GA: The dead city with no diversity - 9/7/2009

Move here ONLY if you are a staunc right-wing,red-neck republican who believes in nothing else but the Bible. They will stare you down if you are from a different race or religion. This city was built for Christians(has over 200 churches!!!) with no places of worship for other religions(there is a small unnamed mosque where the worshippers pray in hiding). What a shame! Is this what the forefathers had envisioned for the US? Believe me I have a high 6 figure salary but not even for a million bucks will I have my children grow up in such a 'claustrophobic' city. The interstate is over 20 miles away. They claim that Atlanta is 60 miles away but it takes over 1 and a 1/2 hour to reach areas where there's some semblance of diversity and acceptance. We moved here with high hopes and I do NOT believe in bashing cities but Rome,GA is for Christain republicans only![read more...]

D. L.
pay attention to crime stats - 4/24/2008

I have lived here for several years and spent my early childhood here. Like most smaller towns, Rome has some pretty hefty "brain drain" problems thanks to nearby Atlanta. Unfortunately, this is especially true of minority communities in Rome who have taken the hardest hit- suffering losses of white collar/college educated family members and leaving mostly the very old, the very young and the very troubled (see crime stats again). Rome is working hard to overcome much of the Southern tradition that eyes outdoor recreation with suspicion- with beautiful bike trails finally being created to highlight the lush landscape and several parks. Like most of blue collar/manufacturing America, it has been waylaid by crystal meth and the resulting property crime that such drug use brings to an area. With Northwest Georgia Regional Psychiatric hospital being one of the handful of inpatient psychiatric facilities left in Georgia, it also gets a population dump of mentally ill from all over the state, specifically from large hospitals around Atlanta. These folks buddy-up with others in the facilities and then when discharged/graduated to nearby highland rivers etc. ...they often decide to stay here in Rome where there are precious few resources to assist them. Schools are polarized around city and county lines. The vast majority of minority students as well as students from Rome's most affluent/exclusive neighborhoods collide while attending city district schools. In addition, there are a few expensive, exclusive schools (Darlington, the Montessori School, St. Mary's and Unity Christian School) which further skew the student population. Despite this (and the 19% Bachelor degreed adults in this town), the public schools do manage to perform fairly well with Rome Middle and High performing very well on mandated testing. Rome is a chain restaurant kind of town with plenty of eating places to choose from. It also has a baseball team that has developed an avid fan base with a beautiful and sanely-sized stadium that is convenient to town without being an eyesore. If you are college educated and have a two-income household, you can easily afford to live in Rome's "better" neighborhoods (which are still wildly reasonable compared to Atlanta), life here can be good- bordering on fabulous for you and your children. If you are not so fortunate, so young, so educated or so inclined, then the unrest and unease of being one of the unfavored forgotten hangs in the air like a rotten pollen cloud.[read more...]

Thomas
Hastings, NY
I grew up here - 4/7/2008

This is an outstanding jewel in the making, I lived her between 1978 am 1981 formative years when you consider I was born in 1961.I won't go into my rambunctious years in georgia, suffice it to say that you have a wonderful and surprisingly friendly attitude (generally) to us northern folk. I made some terrific friends and yes sadly to say had my heart broken by a beautiful georgia lass. I look forward to spending time back in my second and debateably my best of homes. Long live Rome Georgia. Hope you are all well. Tom Squires Syracuse, NY[read more...]

Daniela
Rome - 1/6/2008

This is not for Rome Georgia but for Rome Italy. Extremely expensive with little possibility to get a decent job or decent wages.[read more...]

mubashir
Miami, FL
Jewel in the rough - 11/20/2006

Nice, quaint little town with some of the best medical facilties available. Beautiful downtown and the largest college in the world (Berry College). Close to Atlanta (60 miles) but still far to enjoy the small town amenities. Low cost housing. Great 4 weather climate with mild winters. Lots to do. One negative:churches are sprouting up everywhere but the people are warm and very welcoming.[read more...]