Select a New Section:

Start Your Review of Indianapolis, IN

2/9/2018
A cesspool of idiots
I have lived in Indianapolis most of my life. I left for college and said I would never come back, but long story, here I am stuck in this cesspool! Anyone who says it is great is lying or one of the people you want to stay away from. The people are the worst! God forbid if you say "hello" to anyone they will look at you like you are a seven eyed monster for even talking to them. They are the rudest people in the world. If you have any intellect, for example, let's say you like to read, you will be alone because most of the people here are functionally illiterate and wouldn't know what a book was. And if they do read, it's fifty shades of gray. If you try to have any sort of intelligent conversation they get the strange, far off, zombie look on their faces. I honestly think they are too stupid to understand politics, culture or any slightly intelligent idea. If you have an alternate view point, you are subversive(my word, they don't know that word). Because of their zombie lives and thoughts any type of intelligence, political thought, philosophical idea(my word, they don't know that word), etc is squashed and you are left a zombie yourself.
It is wildly conservative. If you are a democrat you are the devil. They do exist here and you can talk to them, but once again, the culture leaves these people completely stripped of all hope and it is difficult to even talk to them.
They have to fit in. Everyone has to fit in. We all must be a like. We all must think the same, eat the same, drink lots of alcohol; stand and love the USofA and jesus. We must not complain. We must not dream. We must go to work, come home, watch netflix, eat fatty foods, get drunk, go to bed. We must go to work, come home, watch netlix, eat fatty foods, get drunk go to bed.
Then to top it all of it is terribly crime ridden. We have the highest black infant mortality rate for a city our size. We have the most african americans living in poverty. We have the largest income gap from poor to rich for both white and black people. If you make $10.00/hour you are rich and an apartment costs as much as Chicago. It has become that bad!
Driving here is like driving through the third world. The roads are horribly bad. You basically drive through one big pot hole.
My advice don't move here. Don't do it!

1/15/2018
The Unvarnished Truth About Indianapolis
I have this general rule about cities and it goes like this. People in truly great cities don't care what outsiders think of them. This is true of New York, Boston, San Francisco, Los Angeles, Seattle, Austin, Minneapolis, and a whole host of other places. People in poseur cities, on the other hand, obsess over it. Dallas and Denver come to mind...and Indianapolis. Especially Indianapolis.

By any reasonable measure, Indianapolis is a hot mess. Horrible violent crime. A huge drug problem. Large scale abandonment across a wide swath of the city. Infrastructure is crumbling. Clueless public officials who prey on clueless residents are the root cause. Lots of stuff gets built...they think it impresses others. Nothing gets maintained. If you're in for the weekend from somewhere else, downtown might appear prosperous but the longer you stay the more you realize it's all a facade with nothing behind it. Circle Center Mall? Failing. NCAA headquarters? Corporate welfare...they pay no rent. The fancy hotels? The stadiums? Take a close look. Most need maintenance already. Nothing stays nice in Indy for very long.

What's sad about this is that Indianapolis could actually be a pretty nice city if people here focused on the little things that all truly great cities do but they won't... They won't invest in the neighborhoods. They don't seem to understand that you can't have a strong core if the surrounding neighborhoods are dead and abandoned. They won't fix the roads or the sewers (downtown literally stinks). That's the heavy lifting great cities do. Indy is looking for the quick fix, like a new soccer stadium that old timers now will never be maintained.

So if you want to come here, please do, but come with your eyes wide open. Don't believe the Chamber of Commerce and tourism nonsense. There are a huge number of insecure millennial boosters who have never been anywhere that pump this city to no end. Thinking adults? They live in HamCo and only come in when necessary. That's the reality. Come and see for yourself. Keep your eyes wide open. It's obvious.

10/30/2017
Escape from Indianapolis
I got transferred to Indianapolis from Denver. I didn't want to go but I knew a guy who knew some people who went to IU and he hooked me up with them and they convinced me to come. They said Indy (that's what they call it even though it's the least Indie city I've ever been in) was up and coming. They said Salesforce was there, and some brewpubs so yeah.

That was two years ago. I'm moving back to Denver. Gotta be honest. Indianapolis is the most backward place I've ever been. Bunch of conformists that think they've found the center of the universe. Maybe it is if you grew up in BFE Indiana, but I didn't. Do yourself a favor. Stay away from this place. It's nasty.

10/1/2017

3/23/2016
Great Culture
Indianapolis has a rich historical and diverse culture.

1/3/2016
Leaving Indianapolis
I moved to Indianapolis from a small town in Illinois. It was here or Chicago, and I heard there were jobs here. There are. Most pay minimum wage. The companies know they've got you, too, and so they treat you really poorly. I don't take it personally. Most Hoosiers (that's what they call themselves) treat everyone poorly. It's weird. I've never seen anything like it. Lots of angry people here. Probably because living here is tedious and dull. Gonna try Chicago. I'm young and have my whole life ahead of me. I can't see wasting it in Indianapolis.

12/10/2015
People who have relocated to Indianapolis - How is
I am thinking of moving to Indianapolis, the Fishers area for a better and more affordable housing.

I have many concerns about:
Job Market
People
Politics
Diversity
Crime

I have heard that Indiana is a conservative state.
Is Indianapolis and Fishers tolerant, non-judgmental.

It would be great to hear from people who have relocated into Indianapolis from other states.
I live in New York.

11/27/2015
Life in Indianapolis
If you're reading this, it's probably because you're thinking about moving here. I'm posting this to help you.

People Who Will Probably Like Indy

If you were a jock in high school you'll probably like it here. This is especially true if you've been out of high school now for at least 20 years, have put on an extra 150 pounds, haven't exercised since the 1980s, still drink like you're in college and you just leased a convertible because you think it makes you look cool. Another thing that makes Indy a good bet for you is if you like to do what everyone else does and prefer not to think for yourself. Voting Republican also helps, if only because Democrats are commies. It also helps if you smoke, hate your job and wife but are too lazy to look for a new one...job or wife. If good enough is your mantra, Indy is your town.

People Who Will Probably Hate Indy

If you like to think for yourself and prefer hanging with a wide variety of interesting people, you probably won't like it here, mostly because you will be shunned if you have the audacity to think for yourself. On the bright side, being shunned by Hoosiers is actually a blessing. It gives you an opportunity to leave town every weekend in search of interesting people.

Seriously, this place is obsessed with itself. I've never seen anything like it. When they had the Super Bowl here, people walked around for months talking about how people from New England and New York loved it here. Seriously. I'll bet none of them have come back. It was just a throwaway comment that people make not to offend others, but here it became the Gospel Truth. There's this guy who has a Facebook page called Indy is Wonderful or something equally inane and he posts article after article about how bad Illinois and Chicago are, as it's either Indy or Chicago...no other choices. The convention people go up against other cities for conventions and they win a few, mostly because they provide kickbacks to the organizers. Nobody anywhere ever said "Gee, I hope they have the hardware show in Indy this year instead of New Orleans or Las Vegas" but the locals actually believe they do say this. Naval gazing is a huge pasttime in Indy and these same people are constantly putting paid pieces in national media to get you to move here. Don't fall for it. You're smarter than they are. You'd have to be. So do your due diligence. Indpendently verify some of their nonsense. Then run.

Or come and marry a Hoosier chick and go to work at IU Health. You'll hate your wife and job soon enough, but you won't have to dump them. Just hang on and whine about it. Indy rocks!

9/23/2015
Indianapolis: The Good, The Bad, Some More Bad, T
Here are the things that people like about Indy. It's cheap and they brew beer here. There are some places to party on Mass Ave. It's cheap. Oh yeah, did I mention that it's cheap? It's cheap!

Enough about the good. Let's talk about what it's like to live here. As others have pointed out, the people here are peculiar and that's being nice. They don't respond when you say hello or how ya doin. They kind of look at you like you're from another planet. I guess that's the Hoosier Hospitality they're so proud of. If you come from a place with people who are genuine and honest, you'll think it's you at first. It's not, and you can change your deodorant and whatever, but they still won't talk to you. I really think the local drug company, Eli Lilly, flushes pharmaceuticals into the water supply and it affects people's behavior here. That's the theory that makes the most sense, because people simply can't be this mean and nasty without some sort of narcotic thing going on.

The roads are crumbling and you're going to be spending a lot of time on them because it's not safe to live in most of the city. In fact, there are thousands of abandoned homes that surround the Midwestern chain restaurant downtown the locals are so proud of. These are really nasty neighborhoods and the schools are failing, so nobody who can afford to live anywhere else actually lives in Indianapolis. Most like Carmel or Fishers or Noblesville. That's where a lot of the jobs are too, so if you want to partake of the beerpub and bar scene on Mass Ave you either have to drive drunk to get home or risk getting shot if home is nearby.

And let's be honest, okay? Every city in the world has a bar strip like Mass Ave. There's nothing unique or special about it in any way unless you grew up in Oolitic or Kokomo and have never been anywhere bigger than Terre Haute. Then I imagine it's pretty cool.

Come to think of it, every city everywhere has a neighborhood like Fountain Square and Broad Ripple too. Every city eveywhere has a stadium. Every city everywhere has a downtown mall. Every city everywhere has everything that Indianapolis has, although not many are as cheap as Indy. A few are. Detroit, for example. And Memphis. St. Louis, too. Toledo and Flint are as cheap as Indy. They have almost as many murders, too.

Are you connecting the dots yet? I hope so. This is a great city to live in if all you like to do is drink and make jokes about Illinois. If you're deeper than that, you're gonna be disappointed sooner or later. I'm betting on sooner.

9/13/2015
CRIME RIDDEN TOWN DO NOT MOVE HERE
Full of crime, Indianapolis, Indiana. Daily murders, robberies. RUN from this town!!!!!

9/13/2015
This town is Crime Ridden Getto, DO NOT MOVE HERE!
Lived here my whole life, getting out very soon, do yourself a favor AND DO NOT MOVE HERE!!!! Murders EVERYDAY! Home Invasions, Robberies and on and on, Im moving soon and cannot wait to get out of here!!!!

8/29/2015
Circle Jerk City
I have sold my house and am leaving Indy so take my comment for what it's worth. I've lived here a total of 9 years. They were the longest nine years of my life. There is absolutely nothing I will miss about Indianapolis. Here are the problems, from top to bottom.

1. The People. The old 80/20 rules applies, except in Indy it's the 20/80 rule. 20% of the people are good, decent, nice, etc. The other 80% are among the nastiest people I've ever met. They're rude...boorishly so. They're illiterate. How this can be when they all go to college forever I don't know, but it's true. They have their own brand of behavior called Hoosier Hospitality. They actually believe they're nice. At least in Philly and Buffalo they know what they are. When you say hello to Indy people, they look away or pretend they don't hear you. It's weird. It's like homeschooled kids. No social graces at all. I'd think it was me, but I know too many other people from other places who say the same thing.

2. Downtown. People here go on and on and on and on and on and on about downtown and Mass Ave and Fountain Square as if this is some urban mecca. Uhhh, no. If you want to see cool urban neighborhoods, I suggest going to Bardstown Road in Louisville or anywhere on the Near North side of Chicago. Indy's downtown is mostly empty unless there's a game or convention. That's true of any city. Locals like to point to Livability magazine which said our downtown was #3, but Livability rated Pittsburg #1 and Minneapolis #2. Meanwhile, it ignores Denver, Chicago, Seattle, New Orleans, and a whole host of places with really eclectic and cool downtowns. Livability is click bait, but Indy is a very insecure place and the locals like to brag about such things, even if they are behind Pittsburgh and Minneapolis, two very uncool cities.

3. Crime and Crumbling Neighborhoods. In an effort to prop up downtown, the city has ignored most every other place. The roads are among the worst in America. Crime is off the charts. This city is very dangerous and you'd have to be seriously twisted to invest in it. They have this thing called the CIB that basically funnels money to a few wel-connected billionaires who reap the spoils. Everyone else pays. It's the most corrupt setup imaginable and yet nobody complains because they have this major inferiority complex and gosh, what would they do if Angie's List failed...

4. Hypocrisy. Like most places, Indy is anti-Confederate flag. I had no issue with this until they hoisted a gay rainbow flag on I-70 coming in from the airport next to a sign that says Indy Welcomes All. No, Indy does not welcome all. Indy welcomes gays. It does welcome Confederates or other people who the Convention and Visitors Bureau think will hurt its precious image. Here's the thing. Take a drive through the countryside around Indy and you will see confederate flags everywhere, which is sort of weird since Indiana was a Union state, but hey, what the heck. Anyway, the gay rainbow thing was due to the screeching of a very vocal minority, many of whom are the same people who think Indy is the Paris of the Midwest.

I'm really excited and happy to be leaving. I'm posting this as a public service to help anyone who might be thinking of moving here based on the glowing reviews by the Chamber people, the Visitor's Bureau and the Mayor. This city has duped a lot of people. It duped me, I must admit, but I figured it out pretty quick. Do your homework before moving here. This place is not what the fanboys want you to believe it is.

8/23/2015
A city of opportunities yet potential for social i
I've lived in indianapolis for close to a year and a half. I personally have had mixed (good and bad) experience during my stay. The pros: they're abundant of job opportunities backed by a strong economic growth in conjunction with a lower than average cost of living thus it's easy to get up on your own. As far as housing as concerned, people get a lot for what they pay for.. the downtown area has a lot going on like great shops,restaurants, bike trails that are extensive from downtown on, plus the downtown area is very clean and the buildingstate have the finest, modern and sophisticated arcutecture. In the residential areas everyone has a front and back yard with a canopy of tall mature trees in most areas. The cons: many of the people here suck. I find many to be rude, standoff ish and just plan dumb in the ghetto areas. It's best to meet quality ppl from college and or a church and keep your social circle small. The crime rate is insane with at least two murders daily and for the stupidest reasons. Property crime is at a level thats unheard-of, I've have a few neighbors who have had their doors kicked since the past year and had items removed from their apartment. If you're young and starting off like myself, I would recommend indianapolis but with coution. Involved yourself with an educated crowd and trust only a few and you're be fine

8/10/2015
Indiana, and Indianapolis Crime- Good place to liv
It is in no way 'Hyped up criticism." First off- it says the average commute time is 22 minutes-- HAHAHAHAAAA! ARE YOU KIDDING?! YOu might get 5 miles most times in 30 minutes or more. Live on the South side and morning commute that should be 20 minutes in 50-60 easy. Coming home- GRID lock! ROAD Construction never ends-EVER! The roads are the worst in the country:year round. I have had to replace 2 bent rims on a 2014 Lexus, because they could not be repaired. The people who commented below about the bland, hum drum, nothing to do unless you want to watch corn grow, and sit outside in the hot sun with no water, mountains, and nothing to do but go drinking on certain nights.Unless you bike or walk the trail- good luck with safety. The crime rate is extremely high! Being involved in Homeland Security, with many friends as detectives, and on the State and local Police....you'd be surprised at what goes on!!
I've traveled all over the world..., and moving here is the worst decision I ever made! I have tried to go out and meet people and get into the "CLICKS" that are imbedded here---good luck. Unless you are in college and just want to get drunk or go to Lake Monroe- you're screwed. Avoid this place!! Only Bloomington, Indiana is worth a crap to live- and its overcrowded with tons of students and wait lines for anything is mind blowing. Listen to these people, we who live here and have seen other places- DO NOT COME HERE- YOU WILL REGRET IT!!! The new 'attractions' bring sex trafficking and violent gang activity is ramp-id. There are many police motorcycle gang units because it is bad. the Moto GP, Indy 500, all bring people who trash and gridlock the city- don't buy the crap people feed you and say its great. Everyone I know want to move and plan on it- especially law enforcement and decent people. Those who have never lived outside Indiana don't know any better.. Don't be fooled into coming to this God forsaken place!
I have no reason to exaggerate. Just speak the truth. I am leaving my friends and few family members because it's bad. They are married with kids and tied to generational family farms- or they would move too.
North side of the look are snotty and to have a decent home over $400K easily. East side is filthy and crime ridden for SURE!! BAD. South side is more reasonable but horrid traffic into city- west side of 465 is desolate and everyone drives to Indy. Unless you live on the North in Fishers, Nobelsville or Carmel- you are considered trash by them. Its stupid.

7/20/2015
In response to all the criticism
Everything the critics stated here can be said about most areas in the country. I live in Chicago and just spent 3 weeks in Indy for work and guess what? Indy and Chicago offer a whole bunch of the same amenities: there are bars, restaurants, street fests, parks, bike paths, bowling alleys, concerts, museums, mini golf, shopping districts, etc. You think that things are just automatically better for you because you live in a larger city? Move to Chicago or another huge city and you will find you are taxed to death and actually going out and doing things can be pretty difficult because of large crowds, prices and traffic. While in Indy, I looked around at job postings (which I do often when I travel just to gain insight about different cities since I plan on leaving Chicago soon) and found that jobs in my field offer about the same salary in Indy as they do where I currently am in Chicago, which is shocking seeing as the difference in cost of living is huge. A friend of mine is currently working in NYC but is moving back to Indy where she grew up because she has found a job in her same field with the same salary. Do you think she has enjoyed herself in NYC? No, because living in a city with such a high cost of living leaves her with no money to go out and do things. You are also incorrect in stating that Indy inflates their population numbers: The state that the city boasts over 800,000 citizens and the surrounding suburbs brings that number to approximately 1.8 million. These numbers all come from the US census bureau so cities cannot just make up these numbers. A lot of the criticisms stated on this page are happening everyday here in Chicago, except it's much worse seeing as IL is 4 billion dollars in the hole right now whereas IN is not. I actually laughed out loud reading all the criticism about crime rates seeing as I read the Indy news everyday and it is nowhere near as bad as Chicago crime. Indy newspapers have space to actually report on things like "teenagers arrested for underage drinking" whereas Chicago doesn't even have enough space to report on all the crime going on seeing as on a typical weekend in the summer, we have about 40 or 50 shootings throughout the city. You all should get a clue about what's going on in the rest of the country before you post.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Compare Indianapolis, Indiana to any other place in the USA.

Select a New Section: