Select a New Section:

St._Louis

Start Your Review of St._Louis, MO

2/11/2017
Undiscovered Gem
So much culture, either completely free or very low cost, and of a quality that you would expect in a much larger city. Major food city, James Beard award winners every year, crossroads of cuisine types. Huge theater scene. Botanical Garden one of top 3 in the world. It just goes on and on. Many lovely neighborhoods in the city and in the inner ring suburbs. People are SO friendly. Inexpensive. What's not to love?

7/27/2016
ST Louis is The worst place to live. EVER!!!!!!!!!
ST Louis is The worst place to live, especially if you have young children. Your children 3+? you Ok, but there is only so many times you can go to the zoo, Magic house or museums. 0 to 3.. NOTING to do at all!!!!! Summers are so horrible hot and hummed that you fell like a prisoner. Another this is Electricity black outs. LOOOONG ones too. 24hous + min. During the summer or winter. OMG. Can you belie it? In this day and age St Louis till runs on steam!!!!Violent weather, tons of bugs .UGH
People: All stairs.... What school did you go to.???? Who cares. They are born and almost never get out .The only few people that move around see that there is better life out there. Its is NOT in St Louis. Sorry.

4/13/2015
St. Louis City
Best kept secret. Incredibly affordable and accessable. Beautiful neighborhoods with tree lined streets and quality historic brick homes. Art galleries, theatre and live music is more than abundent. World- class universities (over 20 colleges in the city). I doubt that there is a city in the U.S. that can match the cost of living, conveniences & amenities of St. Louis City.

11/4/2014
Saint Louis
Saint Louis sucks for black people. Yes, a lot of places sucks for black people, but Saint Louis really sucks for black people. If you are young, black & educated, I don't really think I need to advise you not to move to the STL area, but in case you didn't know..don't move to the STL area. The racism here is just along the lines of uncomfortable & altogether stupid. Also, if you are a single black female, especially over the age of 27, finding a half-way suitable mate is next to impossible.

11/1/2014
The St. Louis METRO area is not No 1 in crime
The St. Louis METRO area is not #1 in crime, not even close. Crime stats are being reported for the St. Louis City only and then compared to the metro stats for everyone else. That is comparing apples to oranges. Anyway- St. Louis Rocks!

1/5/2014
St. Louis
It's great.

12/26/2013
DONT
Lived here all my life. I'll keep it short and sweet. Dangerous, Poor housing market, sorry race relations, racism, sagging job market, brutal winters, lazy cops (want to get away with a crime? Move to Ain't Louis, Misery). Plan to move when I can unload these two homes (had to rent one because the market was too bad to sell and the cops didn't put an end to the harassment from a neighbor, though they arrested her several times and she's had over 30 restraining orders). It's trying to grow, but why try to entice people to move here when they'll just get robbed/beaten/murdered anyway? Anytime a white person comments on how bad race relations are you know the city has a problem. People steal the shine off of spit. Porch plants, Xmas bows on doors, you name it.

12/26/2013
Believe the stats
Born and raised here, and looking for a place to relocate. Problem is, I have two homes I'll need to unload in a dismal housing market. Was being harassed by a neighbor and the cops did nothing, so I (and many others) had to rent our homes because we couldn't sell. Now I have two homes. I'm surrounded by renters because owners lost their homes, which means the neighborhood is declining. Therefore I HAVE to wait for the market to improve (4 bedroom next door sold for under $50,000). Violence is horrible. Dumb, senseless crimes by bored young adults and the legal system is a joke. Want to get away with a crime? Move to St. Louis. Only good thing about it is the cost of living. Otherwise it's like living in quicksand. And don't get me started on the racial tensions. When white people talk about how racist a city is you KNOW you have a problem.

8/31/2013
Looking for a 3 bdr house, 1 bath in the city
Is it possible to find a house for under $16,000 in the inner city, if it's not in a gang area?
Thanks for your comments.

6/25/2013
St. Louis
Love St. Louis, Love the Cardinals, Love the River front around the Arch. Great City.

3/31/2013
Schools
For secondary school education in St. Louis, there is a wide variety of choices. In addition to day schools, there are also boarding school options. There are large schools and very small schools. All-boys, all-girls, and co-ed are all well-represented. Some schools are secular, others have a religious affiliation. The amazing thing is that each school has something very special to offer. This is a great place to raise children!

2/11/2013
Depends on your goals and part of town you're in..
I've lived in St.Louis my entire life and planning to make a change very soon! I'm 31, an African American woman, business owner, and single mother of two. I do pretty well for myself, (we live in a LARGE town home 2bd 3bth for $800)in South St.Louis, the best part of St.Louis if you asked me. It's more cultured and the people in the area don't carry that racial tension on them as they do in some other parts of St.Louis. The con of growing up in St.Louis is the school system. If you're African American and grew up in a low income part of the area, your education will be low budget! Sure they have magnet schools, but if you're child is Af.Am...look forward to be put on the BOTTOM of the list! St.Louis city is becoming more diverse and with the mixed incomes, it seems that "other" ethnicities get the first available classroom seat for their child. It was even mentioned to me when filling out the magnet school form for my youngest child, to put he was "other" on the application instead of Af.Am!! An advantage of living in St.Louis is that if you want your name to be well known and you love to network...this is the perfect city. It's soooo small that it's easy to get in front of the right people to help you launch almost anything. Meet one person... tell them what your plans are... and they know somebody that knows somebody. South St.Louis has amazing neighborhood restaurants and pubs. Just walk out your door and you can enter a cafe or enjoy fine dining. I'd end by saying with all my pros, I still want to leave St.Louis because I believe that in my profession I have reached my full potential here...it's time to take my show on the road so that I can be exposed to more opportunities!

1/22/2013
Ready for consolidation
The St. Louis area is made up of the city then dozens of municipalities around the city. Many of these municipalities are so small they can only afford to maintain services from tickets. There's some but little cooperation between the municipalities and it's holding the St. Louis area back from thriving. If this problem can be solved the area would grow tremendously because the cooperation would lead to improvements in infrastructure and attraction of new companies to the area.

11/13/2012
Class spelled with a kapital "K"
This entire region is the middle step child of American cities.

It isn't large enough in any positive category and it only has the worst qualities of midwestern living.

Lousy real estate values, terrible salaries, only IT jobs are well paying since the midwest is a top choice for data centers since it is easy to avoid disasters here.

The entire state of Missouri is a cultural toilet and St. Louis is the permanent brown ring that everyone refuses to scrub. The iconic St. Louis Arch is old and usually closed for maintenance to prevent the hapless from making the tourist climb to the top.

The Mississippi river creates a stench and the night life is either frightened or fleeing. Drivers are clog the passing lane and hate anyone with out of state plates, most people that visit Missouri are only doing so because their plane made an emergency landing and the pilot can't wait for the replacement parts to arrive.

St. Louis and Kansas City best days are a hundred years behind it since commerce bypasses this region just like the railroads after the invention of the diesel truck.

10/2/2012
St. Louis is only good for the well-off.
I attended Webster Groves and Parkway North in high school. I was in the foster care system so I always attended schools in the county. I was always cut off from the city, Other than the arch for field trips. But once out of state custody, I was left to fend for myself. With a minimum wage job, no car, and no roommate, I was forced into the city. Even with a roommate I would not be able to afford a car, so getting a management job or a 10/hour job clerk job was nearly impossible because it takes a while to get from the city to the county. The county is were the half-way decent jobs are. I was stuck in poverty. The problem with St. Louis is if you are not well-off, you are pretty much doomed to live in poverty. You're only aquatainces or friends are thugs, drug dealers, section 8 government dependent people. They all are happy to see you stuck in poverty with them. So much fighting for street credit and popularity. If you get thrown into the chaos from the well-off county, you will find yourself depressed, anxious, and stuck in a hole, you can never climb out of. Stuck in your roach infested apartment with no friends because if you don't do drugs you are an outcast. And scared to let anyone in to visit because you know things will get stolen. No one ever cares to maintain contact with you because you are stuck like them and they are looking for friends that are well-off that can possibly help them out of the gutter. This has been my life since I was 21 yrs. old. I can get a degree but what would it do for me, since I don't have a car and insurance and gas is unaffordable. Without a boost, you get no where in St.Louis. You just constantly here about your neighbors getting locked-up. The system works only for the well-off here in St. Louis. I wonder if other cities are the same.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Compare St._Louis, Missouri to any other place in the USA.

Select a New Section: