Select a New Section:

Durham

Start Your Review of Durham, NC

10/24/2017
Progressive island of culture
One of the most progressive communities in North Carolina, Durham is also known for its foodie scene and for its medical industry.

3/25/2014
No One I Know Likes Durham
Durham is strange, if you are black or yankey Durham is a great town but otherwise... This is a backwater one horse town that does not like locals. The main employer in town does not hire local people, they want the cachet of bringing in talent; if you do not work for this horse, you wait tables or work for minimum wage if you are lucky. No mistake there are people that make money here but they are only in one or two fields and certainly not native nor do they want to know anyone out of those fields. We do have expensive restaurants (that may not be any good), we do have the DPAC (if you want to pay 40.00 more than in NYC)and we do have plenty of bars, nightclubs and pop music venues. What the town lacks is a sense of community (excepting the aforementioned groups) this is one hard town. Not a place to find a date, make friends or make long lasting connections you will be as bored here as everyone else I know. There obviously a huge divide between Duke and the rest of us. The economy is so far destroyed that I have been trying to sell my house since 2000 and nothing. If you make the mistake of going to the ESC they will flat out tell you "sorry you are white I can't help you." Careful, black racism here is far more intense than white.

12/6/2013
Getting Around
Traffic is getting heavier because population in the area is increasing, but quality of life remains excellent. There are many activities for singles, couples, and families. Good restaurants are plentiful and the Museum of Life and Science and Duke Gardens are enjoyable places to spend several hours or a free day. Durham has become a popular town for "transplants" from other parts of the US and as a community embraces its diversity.

8/12/2013
Moving
My boyfriend and I have been discussing a possible move to North or South Carolina in the next few years. I am thinking more along the lines of North Carolina because I want to be a Veterinarian and I would need to go to school in Raleigh. I am trying to figure out the best areas to live and their cost of living. I would need to know areas that have great school districts, with low crime rates. I will probably be about 25 when we decide to move. He wants to move to South Carolina because of the beach, but unfortunately that would put me out for school. So can anyone tell me how local the beaches are to some of the better, more cost efficient areas ? I will be a vet tech when we move, so I will make decent money, and he is a photographer. We will not be too financially strapped but I need to know we'll be okay. Thank you for your information !

7/9/2013
Durham NC Weather Good
Durham North Carolina is located in the heart of North Carolina's central Piedmont region. Durham is one of the three cities that comprise the Research Triangle Park, the other two being Raleigh and Chapel Hill.

Overall Durham has great weather, averaging 111 clear days, and 106 partly sunny days, meaning you will be seeing Carolina blue skies 217 days of the year. Basically Durham has six months of perfect weather. The best time weather is from mid-March through mid-June, and from mid-September through mid-December. The fall weather being some of the nicest.

However, there is a price, summers are very hot and often humid, with some Ozone warning days during the hottest periods in late July and August. Drought conditions can occur in high summer. However, North Carolina has some of the best beaches in the country, so if you like the heat, the beach is only two and a half hours away. Conversely, you can escape from the heat to Asheville high up the Appalachian mountains, in a mere four hours.

We do see seasonal changes to the foliage starting in October, however, Winters overall are very mild, the coldest weather comes in mid-January through February. More than a few inches of snow is the exception rather than the rule, and it rarely lasts for more than a week. x

During the spring and fall severe weather in the form of Hurricanes and Tornadoes is a yearly concern, but rarely do you see wide spread damage. Some flooding can occur in low lying areas, but this is true of almost any part of the country. In winter rare ice storms are some of the most beautiful, but most dangerous phenomenon, causing damage from falling trees and branches, and power outages from snapped power lines. Dangerous driving conditions often occur because of the day/night thaw/freeze cycle creating slippery patches of black road ice, often catching out of state drivers not familiar with these conditions unawares.

Overall I would give Durham North Carolina weather a 9 out of 10.

7/5/2013
Lots of Outdoor Options
Durham ( & the Triangle / Central NC area), is a great location for outdoor activity. There are state parks, hiking trails, and a number of lakes & rivers nearby. Both the mountains & coast are within reasonable driving distance (a few hours).

The main drawback, for me, is that the summers can be too hot & humid to really enjoy activities like hiking & camping.

4/16/2013
considering move to Durham NC-soliciting advice
I am considering a move to Durham NC. I am a 43 year old single African American with two elementary age children, one of which has Autism Spectrum. I have a Ph.D. and will be looking for work as a professor or counselor. I would appreciate any advice on Durham in terms of best places to live, public schools for special needs children, and social life.

2/3/2013
not mainstream
if you like to be all safe and snugly every time you leave your home, like a more homogenized population because all those "different' people are a little scary, you think schools should excel without having to expend any effort, you like Target, Kohl's and Wal-Mart to be right down the street, or you're wondering why a southern state would EVER vote blue, go to Cary, Raleigh, Clayton, Garner or one of these other fine Triangle-area towns...you really don't belong in Durham.

Durham, it's not for everyone.

5/9/2012
Interesting roadways....
Came here after having lived in larger cities (Baltimore, Philadelphia)--the design of the roadways here is interesting to say the least. I understand the city's structure has changed a lot, so perhaps that's reflected here, but, I can never find a simple and direct route to travel anywhere.... It seems like a whole lot of "beltways" and no direct pathways.

2/17/2012
Durham great place?
Durham I can see is a great place for those who have little , are retired or in college. The school system seems like its mostly run by African Americans as well as the VA, To me it seems to be mostly a town which celebrates black history month and anything to do wth the black movement towards equality which means as an outsider who is white I have yet to find employment, Im not suprised however I am a transplant having been here in the 80s at Camp Lejeune as a Marine. The rent here is cheap as well as the homeownership but the work here is mostly banks, schools,and local grocery stores or the Police. It also seems like the town itself is incredibly contained or consumed by its own image and does not see that there is life beyond their own town. It is political and obviously democratic with a population of active Christians and Christian views. I was raised at the beach so this is definitly a different environment than Im used to. You either are accepted and make it here or you are quietly shunned to the back of the bus...

11/25/2011
Attending Duke or working there, you don't have to
Drive 10 minutes South, cross 15-501 and make your way to MLK. As a grad student I bought and have lived near Old Chapel Hill Rd. and MLK for 6 years. Talk about location, Near me I have great food options like Fosters, Guglhupf bakery, Blue Note Grill and Q Shack. Harris Teeter, Kroger, Target and Walmart are within 3 min. of my house. Downtown is a short 12 minute drive and so is Southpoint Mall if heading the other direction. Neighborhood is friendly and I don't go to too many of the local spots without running into someone I know. As a mom with a child there are awesome local parks, biking trails and Hope Valley Elementary all within minutes of my door.

9/5/2011
The good and the bad
I live and own a home in Chapel Hill city, but Durham county, which means I really live in Durham, when it comes to government, taxes, utilities, and crime stats. We've been here just over 2 years, but I grew up in Cary and spend a lot of time in Raleigh, so I feel pretty knowledgeable about the Triangle.

Neighborhoodwise, I'm in southwest Durham. People will tell you this is the safe part, full of new construction, subdivisions, shopping, and middle income professionals. That's all true. But don't be naive, we have crime here. In my fairly affluent neighborhood, home and car breakins are a constant and no longer surprise. Last year we had a random, really violent assault right on my street in broad daylight. You can't live in fear, but please don;t be naive about SW Durham. Get an alarm system and keep your home and cars locked. Don't leave electronics in view. Join your neighborhood watch committee and get to know your neighbors. The police in District 3 are great and will come to your house to do a safety inspection and make recommendations for preventing crime. This all sounds alarmist, but it's just being smart. The cops told us that drug addicts commit crimes in the morning, once they've run out of dope and cash, and they target wealthier areas.

All that being said, Durham is a cool town. A great food and bar scene, with that kind of gritty, indie culture you see in Austin, Brooklyn, Philadelphia, but it's still lowkey and cheap. Raleigh is much more slick and commercial and has lost some of its character in the last few years. Durham still has it. If you're gay or alternative in any way, you'll be comfortable here. The town's pretty diverse. My Asian friends from Raleigh like to hang out in Durham, since it's not just white people in all the hipster bars.

Just remember to look out the window before stepping out of your house.

8/6/2011
Dissapointing
Having moved from California I found this place to be a bit dissapointing. Not alot of tollerance for change, the locals seem to like the lifestyle. Housing is project like apartments, dated back 30 years...rents seem to change with the client...great for low income, disability or low paying wage class...can be frustrating for someone not from here..

6/11/2011
Nice Place to Live
North Carolina in general is a very nice place to live however some cities are easier to live in than others. We live in the triangle area in Durham but if we were looking again we would've probably ended up in Cary. Chapel Hill is nice but too crowded and busy. Durham has high crime rates and other problems but might be a good choice for urban pioneers/twittersomethings. Cary is more relaxed, very pretty with low crime and a significant Asian population which, in my estimation, always seems to up the quality of life in an area. There are many other areas in North Carolina - rural, coastal and mountainous as well that we haven't fully explored but which are also very attractive. Overall a great state to live in!

5/8/2011
From the north
I AM ORIGIANLLY FROM MICHIGAN, I RELOCATED HERE TO HELP A FAMILY MEMBER IN NEED. FROM WHAT I CAN TELL DURHAM SEEMS LIKE A DECENT PLACE...ALTHOUGH THE PUBLIC SCHOOLS DON'T SEEM TO BE THAT GREAT, I AM REFERING TO TEST SCORES AND THE CRIMINAL LIKE BEHAVIOR OF SOME THE YOUNGER KIDS.

DURHAM IS A STEP UP COMPARED TO THE CITY I LIVED IN MICHIGAN, THERE IS MORE TO DO HERE, MORE JOBS, MORE EDUCATIONAL OPORTUNITIES AND ARTS.

AS FOR THE LOCALS, I'M NOT QUITE SOLD ON THE SOUTHERN HOSPITALITY I ACTUALLY FEEL THAT PEOPLE ARE JUST AS EQUALLY FRIENDLY HERE AS WELL AS SOME FOLKS IN MICHIGAN.

1 2 3

Compare Durham, North Carolina to any other place in the USA.

Select a New Section: