Select a New Section:

Not that South! - 9/1/2016
Wilmington has a great climate. It is far enough south that you genuinely don't get snow and it's far enough north that you don't get the humidity of Florida.

The climate, like the culture is a mixture of south and north. We transplanted from the Midwest in 2007. We were pleasantly surprised by how many fellow Midwesterners living here!

There are some drawbacks if you move to Wilmington... you will have more visitors at your home than you know what to deal with. Haha! Seriously, Wilmington is a great place to live. It does have its problems like any other city but the upside of living here is far greater.

I'm a Sperling Expert and Realtor, so if you have question feel free to contact me.

Move to Wilmington ASAP! - 7/3/2016
Wilmington without a doubt is one of the best cities on the east coast of the United States. Voted best river city three years in a row by USA Today, Wilmington is full of lots of culture, fun things to do, and an extremely family-friendly environment. Wilmington was voted #35 best places for business in the country by Forbes Magazine! Wilmington's metro area is constantly growing.

With lots to do, you can take a walk down in the beautiful downtown packed with hundreds of bars, cafes, restaurants, clubs and more! Take a tour of USS North Carolina, voted one of Americas Top 5 Battleship Museums by USA Today! Not to mention that you can travel to any of Wilmington's beaches including Figure 8 Island, a private island home
To hundreds of celebrities. Or take a trip to Wrightsville Beach,voted one of the best beaches in the country by National Geographic and Thrillist! Or even go down to Carolina Beach or Kure Beach, home to North Carolinas best beach boardwalk and one of Americas best donut shops by Food & Wine. Wilmington is choc full of great parks, including skate parks, water parks, and other multipurpose parks around the city. Travel Wilmington and visit some of the best golf courses in the country. Wilmington is hosting the 2017 PGA Tour Championship at one of the areas finest golf courses.

Wilmington's Geography is one that's extremely unique. All within in a short distance, one can travel from the Mountains, to the beach, to swamp land and forrests, and back again to the city.

Wilmington's culture is extremely unique, taking on a strong Northern Influence due to the North Eastern Americans moving south. In Wilmington, you can find a wide variety of foods from many different cultures the way one would be able to in New York City.

Wilmington has every single major store and chain found within its borders! Wilmington is also home to one of America's Best 100 hospitals by Womens Choice Awards. The New Hanover County Regional Medical Center is voted one of the best hospitals for patient experience.

Wilmington has a wide variety of jobs available from major industry, to pharmaceutical companies such as PPD (headquaterted Downtown Wilmington). Wilmington is also home to one of the deepest ports in the US making us the largest ammunition port in America and a busier port year by year with expansions being made.

If you are interested in Americas Entertainment Industry, you might want to know that Wilmington is also home
To the largest Film Production Facility outside of California and home to the largest special effects water tower in North America!

Wilmingtons traffic is not too bad depending on time of year and rush hour peaks (8-10am 4-7pm) and is home to multiple major junctions including I-40, US-17 (Coastal Highway) and more!

Overall, Wilmington is a constantly growing city with great culture, a great economy, and more! I've lived in Wilmington for a year, and I have to say it is the best place I've lived in! Move to Wilmington NC as fast as you can!

Considering relocating - 12/17/2015

Just recently visited my daughter in Wilmington and visited her college. I have been considering moving here to be closer. I am currently in Las Vegas and hate it. I haven't been here long and the crime is absolutely overwhelming. I am a CA native but don't want to go back there either. Everyday someone is getting murdered here in Las Vegas and you're constantly being serenaded by the sounds of police sirens and the helicopters. I read alot of mixed reviews about the town so its hard to make up my mind. I did love the town and surrounding towns i visited while there. I felt safe, did not feel threatened in any kind of way. How is the job market, housing, etc. I have lived in many states and i'm pretty good at settling in. I appreciate any helpful advice!

It really is less expensive here - 12/16/2014 - 8/31/2015
To Sonya

I forgot to put two m's in my email address..

Hope to here from you

Thanks so much

It really is less expensive here - 12/16/2014 - 8/31/2015
Hi Sonya,
That was a great read on NC., I been wanting to move down to NC from Philly for a
while now, but I m moving on my own so I really want to move where it is safe and
where all the shopping and stores are..I've been looking on Neighborhood Scout to
find the safest places to live in NC., but that's starting to look scary. Is there
anything that you can send me some info on places where there is less crime rate and
where the area is around things to do. I have a house here in philly so with the money
that I have left over I want to buy a house outright if I can about $65,000., do you
think that's enough for a nice house in NC? If you know any of the above can you send
it to my email at:

I really appreciate any help you can offer

Wilmington has too much crime and too many cover u - 7/26/2015
Wilmington is a place where cops can buy houses with the money they made by selling cocaine, as Ron Hewett proved to the world. It's a place where crime is covered up and racism lives. It is where a murder of a great actor ruined the film industry slowly and the locals put the blame on incentives when the truth is that no one can be trusted in the area to work on films, or actors will get shot, or props will be stolen or famous people will be stalked. Even Dennis Hopper had to get out after his restraining order didn't stop some crazy local gold digging woman from being a constant annoyance to him in town. He brought business, and money and like all others who came here to relax and slow down, he LEFT unhappy with the ways of the area.

Relax, you're in the South now. - 6/22/2015
I get a chuckle out of the negative reviews here regarding Wilmington (especially the cultural aspects). Wilmington was just rated the best riverfront city in the country by USA Today. I have never experienced any real unpleasantness from anyone but visitors from the Northeast who are very tense from, well, living in the Northeast. As a former Yankee, I can sum it up for you: Wilmington is a great friendly little city on the coast in North Carolina that is 90% transplants and exploding with people fleeing the Northeast for a better quality of life. Many Northerners just can't handle the friendliness of the people here and have to find something about which to complain rather than being grateful for all the great things. The glass is either half full or you are a Yankee. As you read the reviews here, keep in mind that most people are coming here to escape the weather, tension and economies of liberal states. Expecting Wilmington to change for your tastes is such a silly Yankee idea. As such, some immediately love the laid back friendly lifestyle here, some take a while to relax and some just can't get along and complain until they leave. We love New Yorkers, for example, at least after they lose their arrogance and rudeness and realize that New York is not the center of the universe and they don't know everything. Enjoy paying less than your taxes were up North for a mortgage and wave back at others-they are using all 5 fingers and are genuinely friendly. Everyone is welcome here, just be nice if you can and quit complaining.

Amazing place to call home! - 4/14/2015
Wilmington, NC is a truly awesome place to live! Having lived here for over 11 years now, I'm pretty sure I'm never leaving :)

Since Wilmington is a peninsula - it's surrounded by water! We have the Cape Fear River and historic downtown on one side while we have intracoastal waterway and the ocean of Wrightsville, Carolina and Kure beaches. The weather is pleasant here too - with all 4 seasons - albeit the winter is pleasantly short with barely a dusting of snow! We have history, culture, great schools, delicious restaurants, and a good sense of community here.

I love it and I'm passionate about helping folks relocate to the Wilmington area. My husband and I work as a real estate team, If we can help any of you with an real estate related questions, please don't hesitate to reach out to us!

-Stef Archer
#TeamArcher, RE/MAX Essential
hello AT

Jobs - 11/21/2014
Living wage middle class jobs are in short supply here. Few decent paying jobs here.

Neighborhoods of Wilmington - 8/21/2014
I’m a 65 y.o. male from NJ, about to retire and am considering Wilmington NC in which to retire. Made two trips there and am still impressed. I’m married, but wife might stay in NJ a while longer for business reasons. I need advice on neighborhoods, however. Whether it’s homes, apartments or condos. One big goal in retirement is to reconnect with people. I poured myself into my career, in order to become financially secure, but I’ve lost all/most friends along the way. In retirement, I want to volunteer, maybe get a “small” job and make new friends. I don’t want a development where half the people are UNC students and the other half are young, working families. I don’t hate golf, but I’m not an avid golfer at this point. Downtown appeals, but limited choices of housing. Might consider the beach, so that I could live there in the off-season and rent out in the summer, but I don’t want a ghost town existence. Anyone have some good advice?

Bashing Wilmington North Carolina is a sport for m - 7/5/2014
I don't get all the negativity about Wilmington. Perhaps it's to keep more people from moving here and clogging up the roads? I just moved here from a very large city in the Northeast and I'm impressed by the variety of live music here, including outdoor concerts at Greenfield Lake Amphitheater, that for 2014 includes Travis Tritt, Government Mule, Dweezel Zappa, Bruce Hornsby and more, plus film and theater at Thalian Hall, plus Art Garfunkel was just here performing. There's also Screen Gems Studios and the filming of movies and TV shows in the area. And there's also beautiful beaches on top of it! If you hate Wilmington so much, just leave and give the rest of us more space!

Hot Summers, Okay Winters - 6/8/2014
Winters here are milder than farther north, but not "beach warm." Summers are hot and sticky humid, even at night.

Living and working - 3/27/2014
What is it really like for a single woman, 50's and still needing to work?

Living in Wilmington - 3/21/2014
I have lived in Wilmington, NC close to 2 years now. I moved from the Philadelphia area to attend UNCW here. There are a lot of pros and cons to living here. If you like the beach, you will love it here. If you like big cities and good food, Wilmington is lacking. The job market is OK, not great. I had a few friends move here unable to find a job in their line of work, so are waiting tables instead. I hear Wilmington has grown a lot compared to past years, but it is still not big enough for me. If you don't mind smaller places, it has lots of food options, shopping, affordable housing -- just don't expect a city!

High schools - 9/14/2013
Wilmington's High Schools are riddled with children who openly admit to substance abuse in one form or another - they are a friendly bunch though. My child's school is considered "a good school" according to all persons I asked, but the level of education is about 1 year below what my child was used to - she is a Junior doing Sophomore work.

1 2 3 4

Compare Wilmington, North Carolina to any other place in the USA.

Select a New Section: