Select a New Section:

Tulsa

Start Your Review of Tulsa, OK

7/27/2017
Why I love Tulsa
I have lived on both coasts, north and south, as well as Iowa and Texas.

Economy: the economy here used to be tied to oil & gas, but there are so many industries here producing parts that are sold around the world. Aerospace is huge here, so are heat exchange companies. Check out "Vision 2017" and "Vision 2025" to see how the economy and city amenities are growing; I personally love the Riverwalk and downtown revitalization. In NY it took me 6 months of solid looking to find a job, in MA, 9 months. In TX it took 2 weeks, and in Tulsa, it was instant - the first place I walked into. Chances are good a few things in your house or that you consume throughout the day came from Tulsa.

Housing: prices are so affordable here both renting and buying - it was one of the reasons I left Texas, because TX is rapidly becoming the new California - hours of commute time, the price of my apartment spiked from 850 to 1400 in one year, and nothing can be done without waiting at least 45 minutes in a line, and buying even a run-down house was unaffordable or 2 hours from the metroplex. None of that happens in Tulsa, although Tulsa is in a boom cycle and growing rapidly due to the job market and focus on developing the economy.

Weather: When I lived in Maine, we had a tornado a few miles from our house. When I lived in NY, we had a tornado took out the dumpster at work. When I lived in MA, we had a tornado go by 9 miles from us. We also dealt with Hurricanes, and awful blizzards up and down the east coast. At one point, every check in my checkbook several winters in a row was to a plow guy. If it snows here, it is only a few inches and doesn't last more than a day or two. Ice can be a problem but again, it doesn't last long. Tornadoes have become a way of life in every state, and this one is no different, but the advanced forecasting and modeling by local weather stations give people plenty of time to act accordingly. And no blizzards or hurricanes. And the inside of my nose will never freeze when I walk outside. The worse earthquakes I experienced were in Spokane, WA and Portland, ME; I have never felt one here, though people say they happen.

People: when I first moved here, I pulled into a gas station and someone pulled in right next to me. We both saw a homeless person standing back from the building. In the time it took me to walk around inside to see what was available to eat so I could offer some choices to that person, the woman who had pulled in next to me had already brought out a bag of food. That has never happened - anywhere. That is how people are here, they care about others, and they care about the community. People will hold the door open for you here and greet you with kindness, which is not something I have been used to in many other states. (Arkansas next door was the kindest state I've ever been to - it actually felt weird how nice people are there)

Politics: while Oklahoma is a red state, most of the people I know are Democrats who say the Tulsa metro is very democratic, and several other communities outside of Greater Tulsa are also Democratic. I know Republicans who liked Obama. I know Republicans who are not Trump supporters, and those who are respectfully give their reasons about it. It just displays that there are a good mix of people here who again are community minded and care about others. I have a mixed race relationship and have only had one mild encounter where we just weren't served and simply moved on to another restaurant, but racism is not the culture I see here day in and day out. What I do see day in and day out is random acts of kindness, and I love that I'm surrounded by like minded people.

Activities: Tulsa is hugely bicycle-friendly with hundreds of miles of trails, some going along the riverside and other creeks. There is a "mountain" (glorified hill) in Tulsa with paved & dirt hiking/bike trails. There are so many hobbyists here, and more hobby shops than I have ever seen anywhere. They have their own (small) Comicon. Major venues and big casinos get big names for concerts. But the best thing to me is, no matter what night of the week I may want to go to dinner or a movie, I can plan to wait less than 10 minutes, but usually not at all, for a seat, ticket, or entrance. Traffic is practically nonexistent compared to living outside of Boston and Dallas. Tulsa convinced BMX Racing to move its headquarters here, so soon this will be a hotspot for BMX enthusiasts and there are already tracks and clubs here.

Cons: the price of food seems a little higher here for some reason, but utilities are low. I have seen a few snakes, but after doing some research, I found that most of the ones people come across are harmless, and so many people hunt and fish without incident and they have taught me that it's a matter of education over fear. There are some bad crime statistics, but those are confined to some very specific areas of the city, and I don't go there. I feel safe wherever else I go.

I've seen a lot of negative posts here, but one fact no matter where you go is that life is what you choose to make of it. Overall, I am so happy to be here, impressed with all of the infrastructure improvements by the government, surrounded by great people in a beautiful place. I feel like I finally found a home!

7/25/2017
so far this is the WORST white trash state ever
moved here from Utah 5 years ago. job offer. housing is very affordable, because honestly... no one is moving here, what you have are long extensive generations of people who have not ventured far from home and think this place is perfect. it's extremely racist and the crime, violence is one of the highest in the nation. kids have no manners and aren't taught to respect anything or anyone. the education here is shockingly horrible - with the drop out rate astounding. everyone carriers their yeti's full of alcohol every where they go. everyone is obese. woman all look like bums and wear ago pants but clearly NEVER EVER work out. yoga pants equals CLEARLY.. i mean why are you wearing yoga pants when your so over weight and gross??! - however they don't acknowledge being overweight unless they have been told they are MORBIDLY OBESE.
they are boring in conversation and have no interest or understanding in anything worth talking about. the weather is horrible in july and august, you won't enjoy being outside. bugs and snakes are every where- and a lot of people still smoke- in their house, in their cars and in front of children- Vaping is HUGE here. DRUGS are the norm here, scandalous cheating is the only excitement here and cyclist are always under attack from people driving who seem irritated at people trying to be active. friendships are fake here, like the people. the only thing to do is attend the drillers games or go to church study on wed. TRUMP supporters are everywhere. lazy people are everywhere. they are seemingly proud to be native oklahomans but they litter and leave trash everywhere, they throw it from their cars, they leave their camp sites littered with their filth. i've had stays in almost all the states and can say Oklahoma and Mississippi are the worst places i've ever had the misfortune of being in. i'm presently seeking employment to the north pacific where people are genuine and clean and intelligent and smart enough to realize order, organization and success starts with how you treat yourself, how you look and how you behave and treat others,
GET ME OUT OF HERE!

1/12/2016
Versatile state
Where else can you find the most earthquakes in the nation, frequent tornados, hot summers and cold winters.

1/11/2016
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Compared to other places I have lived us Okies have it fairly cheap, except for the cost of Cox cable LOL...truth! 3 tv's ,internet, and house line Avg. $200.00 bucks a month.

12/9/2015
The most backwards and ignorant town in America!
Under any circumstances move to this town--I repeat do NOT move to Tulsa unless you're a low-class redneck trailer park trash or a ghetto black person. I've only lived in this town that its somehow called a city for two months and I'm planning my one way exodus out of here ASAP! The most dumb, stupid and racist place to live. Bad schools, bad low waged jobs, poverty like a third world country, ignorant rude drivers who detest pedestrians and black people! If you're a black woman here, expect to be hated by both whites, Latinos and most black men. Black men here find it acceptable to hate black women and chase white women. The landlords rip you off and make up a fake lease for the tenant and then try to illegally evict you if you're black or not from here! Stupid, dumb, fat lazy people everywhere who think they are smarter than you because you're not from Tulsa. High crime! Racist dump! The KKK runs many businesses there. Tulsa county DHS neglect the most vulnerable citizens on society's children! Children are always abused, staved here because they continue to deny aid to biological parents when they need help and ignore child abuse. Felons everywhere. Never live in this dump. Never!

10/27/2014
oklahoma sucks
lisa i agree 100 percent. finally someone agrees. i am from new york and here becuase of my job. this is the dumbest state i have ever been. people are biased here. you missed a couple of things. you forgot the ugliest town. people are ugly as hell here. everybody looks alike. top 3 overweight state in the country. hillbillies and rednecks everywhere. the food sucks. very uneducated and racist. highest divorce rate in the country. most judgemental place i have ever been in my life. people cant drive here at all. your right about the cops. have you noticed the cops are fat and out of shape and chewing tabacco and spitting everywhere. if you dont have a car your screwed. i dont see anyone walking. worst roads i ever driven on. arrogant pricks. one of the worst educational systems in the country. very disloyal. not efficient at all. a lot of half ass people. oh yeah i am trying to get out. i hate this place. no wonder the south got there asses handed to them during the civil war.

8/21/2014
Nice place to live.
Many people relocate to Tulsa because of the great prices of houses and apartments, and because the economy is doing well here. I have been in Southeast Tulsa for 2 years now and it definately grows on you! It is what you make of it, but at least you have a fighting chance to have a decent standard of living because there never was 'over speculation' on property during the boom years of real estate. If you want a fresh start, you can rent a nice apartment for as little as $500-700 a month, or a nice house for $900-1300 a month though real estate has been steadily rising. I have read a lot of negative reviews on all the Sperling sites and I wonder if the people who tend to write reviews on the internet are really as unbiased as they think! Oklahomans, both native and transplanted, for the most part, love this state. It has an earthiness about it and I have met many genuine and lovely people here. Although the crime statistics are terrible, I myself, have not seen any crime whatsoever nor been a victim. I have also not seen any drug dealing, meth users or alcohics roaming around town. Just alot of middle class people who seem quite nice. But then again, who knows... I might be biased too and looking at the world through rose colored lenses! But for what it's worth, the whole world has to deal with drugs, prostitution, crime, corruption and all kinds of evil. At least here in the Bible Belt, it'refreshing to see that people are either hot or cold, and not lukewarm... and that, I believe, is a good thing!

4/3/2014
Tulsa has its good and bad like any other city
I moved here last year from Tennessee. Tulsa is really not a bad city compared to other cities. The economy here is stable with an unemployment rate of 5%, not bad compared to the other cities. Tulsa also has a reputation sort of speak of being a religious "mecca", because there is Rhemas Bible College and Oral Roberts University here. I have visited several religious organizations and the warmth that is displayed is like no other that I have experienced before. The people that I have met in church are loving and warm. On another note, although Tulsa has its good points it also has its bad points. Many of the city schools have F ratings (approx. 95%). The teachers leave you with the impression that they really don't care about the quality of your child's education. They have the "I am not getting paid enough to make sure that the children in my class are receiving a quality education" attitude. And, there is nothing that you can do about it. Education from what people have told me here has been a problem for years. Another problem in Tulsa is alcohol and drug dependency. There are a lot of people here that are either drug or alcohol abusers or in recovery. And, domestic violence seems like it is the norm around here. It is common to see men beat women in the public. However, you will never find the perfect place. It is just not going to happen, even if a city has a reputation as being religious.===

10/13/2013
tusa very sad place
Tulsa is the most boring and beige place in the country. There is nothing to do. There is no scenery or flowers. Walking is dangerous. Drivers hate pedestrians and people here think if you are taking a walk, like people do all over America, that there is something wrong with you. I was run over while I had the right of way by a woman twice, who then had the nerve to tell me she didn't do it, even as a witness called the paramedics...even after I flew off the roof of her car. The cops here are good ole boys who hate women. If you are in trouble for domestic violence, be careful. One cop told me he should arrest ME for bothering him and wasting his time, then he stayed for an hour wasting his own time, and constantly saying that if I didn't resolve this, he would arrest ME, not the abuser. He would not let me close enough to see his badge. When I was run over the cop did not take my statement, but held up the ambulance to take the woman who hit me's statement. When I called for police report I got a runaround all day. There is no culture or social life. The libraries have hardly any books and even the librarians are uneducated and did not know who Tennessee Williams was. The landlords have full rights and tenants no rights. The water is so bad that the sink plugs turn black and the black can't be washed off. If you are not from here, they hate you. They hate you because you can read and put a sentence together that is logical. The standard answer to any question about any subject is: I don't know or I wasn' there, so I don't know. Jobs pay 1980 wages and they are mostly garbage jobs. There is much white trash and ghetto trash and no noise ordinances. In fact, there are hardly any laws at all that give quality of life. The real problem is the lack of anything to do...How many times can you spend money on the ballet? The restaurants are overpriced and very very bad. The food in supermarkets is standard with hardly any interesting food unless you want to go to Whole Foods and spend a fortune. People are just nasty, stupid and rude. Yet they think they are really smart. Walmart is the only place to go. The weather is awful. Sometimes 118 in summer and dank and damp in winter. People live in their cars and then they go home and you cannot meet anyone just walking as you can in other places. Do not live here if you want a normal life.

10/13/2013
do not live in Tulsa
Tulsa is the most boring and beige place in the country. There is nothing to do. There is no scenery or flowers. Walking is dangerous. Drivers hate pedestrians and people here think if you are taking a walk, like people do all over America, that there is something wrong with you. I was run over while I had the right of way by a woman twice, who then had the nerve to tell me she didn't do it, even as a witness called the paramedics...even after I flew off the roof of her car. The cops here are good ole boys who hate women. If you are in trouble for domestic violence, be careful. One cop told me he should arrest ME for bothering him and wasting his time, then he stayed for an hour wasting his own time, and constantly saying that if I didn't resolve this, he would arrest ME, not the abuser. It didn't occur to this loser that it is his job to help resolve this or arrest the abuser. He abused me more. He would not let me close enough to see his badge. When I was run over the cop did not take my statement, but held up the ambulance to take the woman who hit me's statement. When I called for police report I got a runaround all day. There is no culture or social life. The libraries have hardly any books and even the librarians are uneducated and did not know who Tennessee Williams was. The landlords have full rights and tenants no rights. The water is so bad that the sink plugs turn black and the black can't be washed off. If you are not from here, they hate you. They hate you because you can read and put a sentence together that is logical. The standard answer to any question about any subject is: I don't know or I wasn' there, so I don't know. Jobs pay 1980 wages and they are mostly garbage jobs. There is much white trash and ghetto trash and no noise ordinances. In fact, there are hardly any laws at all that give quality of life. The real problem is the lack of anything to do...How many times can you spend money on the ballet? The restaurants are overpriced and very very bad. The food in supermarkets is standard with hardly any interesting food unless you want to go to Whole Foods and spend a fortune. People are just nasty, stupid and rude. Yet they think they are really smart. Walmart is the only place to go. The weather is awful. Sometimes 118 in summer and dank and damp in winter. People live in their cars and do not walk so you can not meet anyone just walking as you can in other places. Do not live here if you want a normal life. There are really no neighborhoods where there are shops and coffee places to hang out. It is very much in your car and home.

10/12/2013
You'll "Go Back In Time" Living in Tulsa...in a ne
Good place to live only if you're a doctor, lawyer, nurse, IT professional, engineer or retired rich person (or married to one)! Other jobs/occupations will pay you crap wages. School systems suck unless your family can afford to live in the suburbs (Broken Arrow, Jenks, Union, Bixby, etc.) Racism is alive and well. (This ALSO applies to acquiring a job.) Roads/highways/bridges are crappy and forever being worked on...AT A SNAILS' PACE! Oklahoma Turnpike System is a joke! No change? Unless you're driving on a MAJOR interstate or highway (Creek Turnpike), there are no toll both workers AND be lucky if there's a working change machine--which, usually there's not. You should see the number of drivers back up and change lanes for that! Shoot, I had to myself because I had forgotten twice due to being in a hurry! Oh, and DON'T let me get started on rest stops, but I will--THEY ARE OPEN SHACKS AND FULL OF DANGEROUS PEOPLE LURKING ABOUT! Raised in Tulsa, earned my college degree and then left the state ASAP! My quality of life has instantly improved (along with my paycheck)! I miss my family and friends (visiting them as often as I can) but don't want to move back there.

9/29/2013
Good place to live
Love this city, lots of lakes, rivers,100 mile of bike trails available that circles the city,homes are affordable to buy, rents are high,this city has lots of eclectic parts , lots of live music, fabulous downtown scene. The downtown has seen a huge influx of young professionals. Beautiful homes & lots of shopping offered from organic markets to farmers markets most of the year. BOK brings big names monthly - jimmy buffet for one. Just a fabulous place to call home.

Cheap...but disheartening
Its very cheap to live here yes, but everything else is pretty depressing about Oklahoma. The only priority is the energy market, while everything else goes to the wayside. The wages are low in every field, crime is high, education is atrocious, roads are terrible, cities are shrinking, and a huge portion of the population are lazy white trash. Meth is a huge problem. Parts of Tulsa are growing, which is a plus, but its still 5 years behind most of the rest of the country. There's no scenery, which is a huge bummer for someone outdoorsy like me. The weather is terrible, either extremely hot or extremely cold, with about 5 weeks of decent weather per year. Don't move here.

1 2 3 4 5 6

Compare Tulsa, Oklahoma to any other place in the USA.

Select a New Section: