Select a New Section:

Unknown
Portland

Start Your Review of Portland, OR

1/30/2017
No Men. No Balls. Goodbye.
After 6 years in Portland I'm very happy to see the value of my house double because I'm leaving. I have made a few female friends and even a nice girlfriend who tells me, "Of course you don't like it here. Portland has no balls." And that's it in a nutshell.
The men in this city are remarkably lame.
So happy to be leaving so I can hang out with guys again.

1/26/2017
Yes Weird but Wonderful
Portland is a place that has a lot of character. The rain brings a lot of beauty. The food culture is unique and different than anywhere. Well worth visiting and staying.

1/26/2017
One of a kind
I’m a Portland native, and growing up I was aware that it was a special place and that I was lucky to call it home. Now it’s been “discovered” and there are a lot of changes and growing pains there. It will still be a great place to live, but it’s just not as affordable and it’s not as uncrowded.

If you can deal with a constant drizzle in the winter months, Portland is a lush and inviting city. Portlanders take pride in the enjoyment of “little things” like coffee, beer, and well-prepared food.

I live in LA now, and when I’m back in Portland I feel the lessened level of activities such as concerts and the like. But, I still love Portland and think it might be the perfect place to raise a family/grow up.

1/16/2017
Do Not Move to Portland If you Can Help It
Don't believe the lies that the liberal media tells you about Portland. I have lived and worked in Portland for over 4 years now. I thought moving back to the Northwest was gonna be great but this town is soooo very nasty that I had to move outside the city to get away from it. Below is a list of Con's.

1. Expensive to live in. All the greedy owners keep jacking the rents. You can't find a decent home for less than 300,000.

2. Homeless Love this Liberal Tree Hugger City, they crap and Pee on the streets, Nasty Nasty streets. Feces can be seen every day, guess who has to clean it. The business owners. What do you expect from a city that has about 12 homeless shelters in a 10 mile radius and free food. They bum and pan handle every day, harassing office workers and tourist.

3. Drug City fur sure, meth, heroine, lots of hookers and stuff like that. The water front on NATO Parkway where I work is full of drug addict needles, the water and grass is full of them. They live under the bridges and through food and garbage on the streets every day.

4. If you got money police will fine you, if your a poor homeless person you get a free pass, no matter if you did something illegal. (No its true)

5. Taxes are through the Roof, they tax workers to pay for their social programs, 33 to 40% goes to state social programs, wow, thats a lot.

6. Cost of living is through the roof. Gas, Food, Lodging,

The only thing here that is decent is the Public transportation System. Its really good. Almost like Germany System. Other than that I say its a really crappy town. I work for the Federal government and have lived all over the country. I would say cities that are more conservative are better to live in. I would not recommend the Liberal City of Portland as a 1st Choice.

1/15/2017
Odd place...
My husband and I are in our late 50s and grew up in Seattle. I also used to live in Tulsa and quite enjoyed it. We have been in the Portland area (PDX as it's known) for 17 years and this city is not for the politically faint of heart. The extreme liberal slant can cause the extreme right to come out as well. Not a lot of in between at least that you can talk about openly. It is one of the least "churched" areas in the country but there are church communities that are nice, but nothing like Tulsa. People are standoffish, smiley but not warm and unless you are totally into whatever they are into, strong bonds have been hard to come by. We have been fortunate to live in Lake Oswego and find a neighborhood that is very unusual, very nice people on our street that we've gotten to know. Lake Oswego is also very full of money and often full of itself, so we consider ourselves very lucky to have found nice ordinary folks. Saying that, the housing prices are around $500,000 for a very modest small home with very small yards right next to your neighbor. This isn't just in Lake Oswego, but in Portland as well. Portland has very high taxes, beware and the city always wants more. The groceries are very expensive, the roads are poor and they are trying to make bicycles the preferred mode of transportation. The schools all vary like any city, Lake Oswego schools are very good. The West side of Portland, Beaverton is crawling with people and the houses are cookie-cutter, but expensive. The traffic everywhere is horrible with few back routes. This winter has been another nightmare for the area as the city does not clean streets, but leaves people stranded at the top of hills til the snow melts. Oh, and the city streets are full of homeless people in tents. I hate to be so negative, but this place is not my cup of tea and we are considering relocating after retirement. Overall, this area is beautiful to look at when out travelling around and paradise if you ski, hike, drive a subaru and like travel to the beach on a regular basis. Otherwise, it's constantly raining except for the occasional summer sun. That's beginning to really get to me. Good luck, I hope you make the right decision.

12/17/2016
Portland Dec. 2016
Portland is a great place to live but isnt the workers paradise it thinks it is..at least not anymore. I've been here 7 years and felt the pinch of rent doubling and wages lagging far behind the housing price increase. Local employers believe that $12 hour is a very high pay rate in a housing market where a 450 sq ft studio rents for $1195. The traffic problems are getting much worse. The recent snowstorm...a whopping 2 inches..! completely gridlocked the city and most suburbs, which is funny because NW natives blab ALOT about their immunity to harsh weather. Funnier still, natives think that any temps over 79F are "Extreme Heat Events" and complain ALL Summer long about the oppressive heat. Ore natives are generally friendly people unless they encounter a Californian. The food is great, varied and affordable.
Hikers will be in heaven, the Gorge, Mt Hood, The Cascades are stupendous! Cycling of all types is supported here. City officials have gone the extra mile to include cycling in the traffic planning. The vast array of music shops, music venues and musical genres practiced is incredible.
The rivers are a great asset.
Taxation is high as it pertains to property and income, nonexistent when it comes to sales. Natives falsley believe that a .0000001 % sales tax would equate them with the Uber Evil California so they vote it down year after year and are very proud of that.
The penchant for massive facial hair, manicured, unkempt as well as bizzare is as strong as ever. If your waiter didn't exude follicles in your salad you've been denied! Know this if you plan to move here: it IS beautiful, relaxing and a great outdoor playground and you will be submerged in dialogue reminding you of how much better the NW is than any other place on earth every single day, all year long.
As for the rain trust me, the total rainfall has little to do with the fact that the sun disappears in early October and does NOT return until June. Unlike most climates, the NW sees a virtually permanent cloud cover for 9 months every year. The rain may stop from time to time but the moisture is held in and light held out by very thick constant clouds.

11/24/2016
Considering Relocation, suburb recommendations?
Hello,
My husband is considering taking a job that would move us to Portland from Tulsa, OK. We are mid/late 30's and have two elementary age kids. It's a good paying management position and we could afford a home for $400k. We are Christians on the conservation side but open to opposing views. Fine with moderates and some liberal views, but, honestly, far left is concerning. We love sports, the outdoors, hiking, camping, skiing so OR looks awesome. We love what we've heard about Portland food, craft beer, wine, and coffee. We're very down-to-earth not at all hipster but to each his own.
So, would Portland work for us?
Recommendations on suburbs with great schools, no more than 30min commute to downtown, and lean conservative? Would also love a good-sized lot, our kids are used to a big back yard as our current home is a little over a 1/2 acre.
Thanks!

6/6/2016
The kids' table
But now I'm done. Have lived here for over a decade and am leaving, finally. Portland is a wonderful city with great potential. Problem is, there's a wide streak of ineptitude and arrogance that makes accomplishing things more difficult than it has to be. Yes, on the surface, the customer service is friendly, but if you require one iota of effort beyond what's normally offered, that smile turns into a snarl real quick. Portland is ruled by the Peter Principle (people are promoted to the level of their incompetence). You will find here that you use the phrase "You had one job" way more than you thought humanly possible. And there are several realities that I have come to just accept: Never try doing business on a Monday (too close to the weekend), don't expect cheerful service in a restaurant on a Sunday (staff hung over). Forget doing business on a Friday (almost the weekend) or having anyone here conduct any commercial transaction with anything resembling "hustle" (needing things quickly and efficiently is perceived as you being "pushy"). And to those who say "it doesn't rain as much as they say," you must have come here in an off year, because it was November through June for all 11 years I was here, with a few exceptions. And actually, that's kind of good, because it explains the demeanor of the people. They aren't intentionally slow and cranky, it's just physiologically impossible to maintain a good mood without sunlight, and that's a scientifically proven fact. As for the overall vibe, I'm the rare older person (40s) who's not scornful of hipster culture. I can appreciate what the kids of Portland are doing with their artisanal food and their beards. I also realize with youth comes a certain amount of trial an error on things like service and other person-to-person skills. Problem is, the desire to be young forever bleeds into all age groups, and what you get are 55-year old business owners acting like they're 25 too. I've heard grey haired shop owners talk disparagingly about their customers in front of me, I've had middle aged store keepers ignore me as they gossiped with other middle-aged workers, and I've endured all sorts of inept f*ckery from people who had outgrown the spacy-is-cute phase of their lives like 20 years ago. And don't ever expect anyone to be contrite about their lame service, because that requires admitting a mistake, which seems physically impossible to some folks here. Bottom line: at some point, you have to be a grownup, but it seems like no one really wants to here, because it involves taking risk and being exposed to challenge. That's fine, not everyone needs to be a type-A high powered shark, but there is a benefit to everyone doing whatever job they have really well. That's how cities become great, not simply by saying they are like Portland does. Over all, if you want to act like a kid forever and avoid taking risks and live in a little protected bubble of groovy unreality, this is the place for you. And PS, it's not like I'm a Republican or anything. My politics actually veer toward the radical. I just have a work ethic that says even if you are scrubbing a toilet, you try to be the best toilet scrubber there is even if your ego tells you are really a rockstar.

3/22/2016
over it
Lived here for over a decade. This city ous not what it used to be. This place is too liberal for its own good. Mayor has a hand off policy regarding crime and homeless.The cost of living has sky rocketed making property taxes obscenely high. i do, however, enjoy the climate and many options of things to do. I miss you old portland.

1/10/2016
Portland pros and cons
I moved to Portland in 2012, so I'm still a relative newcomer. Before coming to Portland, I lived in Santa Cruz, Mt. View, Gilroy, and Palo Alto -- all cities in California.

Weather

It doesn't rain as much as everyone says it does. When it does rain, it's more of a drizzle. Summers are hot -- over 90 degrees every day for several weeks -- and the sunshine is intense. Spring and Fall are gorgeous. Winter is dreary, but it doesn't get very cold (45 degrees during the day) and snow is rare.

Housing

Prices have escalated during the past three years, especially in close-in neighborhoods that used to be very affordable. Lower income people are being priced out. Affordable housing and homelessness are the top two issues here. Small affordable homes are being demolished to make way for larger more expensive homes, condos, and apartments. Houses have appreciated by more than 20 percent in some areas since 2012.

Restaurants

If you're into good food, Portland is the place to be. Lots of variety, quality ingredients, and low prices are the norm here. The neighborhood farrmers markets are great if you like to cook.

Culture

Lots of small independent theatres, book stores, and galleries. Last year I saw 2001 a Space Odyssey in 70mm at the Holywood Theatre And attended several plays at a converted church within walking distance of my house (Portland Playhouse).

10/7/2015
Beautiful Region
If your a hiker this is an amazing place to live. The Coast, Columbia Gorge and Mt Hood will keep you busy for years.

Portland, as a city is average at best, but the outdoor life truly makes up for it.

The only thing that- I'm tired of is the endless decades long, immature and ignorant bashing of Californian's by a rather large contingency of under-achieving hippy dips. Most everyone else living here has a connection to California in some manner and welcomes them and everyone else with open arms.

2/20/2015
Portland quick overview.
Portland is a great town, but real estate is very expensive.
Urban growth boundary prevents suburban sprawl, but there are some nice nearby towns if PDX is out of your price range.
Portland is split mainly East-West by the Willamette river and North-South by Burnside street creating four main areas: NE, NW, SE, and SW. Downtown Portland is in SW, but the rest of SW is not really in a gridded format but more windy with street layout. NW has a mix of grid and chaotic street layout as it's built into the hills of the city. SE and NE is highly urbanized and gridded.
Mass transportation options connect all these areas very well.

2/9/2015
decline
See: Kitzaber

12/23/2014
In response to "A Place Where People Don't Shower
Your experience is interesting, considering Portland is one of the least religious cities in America. (Researchers found the greater area of Portland, OR-WA to be the least religious city with about 32 percent identifying as a religious adherent according to Huffington Post and a 2012 Gallup Poll still finds Oregon to be one of the most un-churched states in the country.)
I could reach for the low hanging fruit and simply point out that you misspelled laughable as laffable. But instead, I will point out that perhaps you shouldn't rely on a NY Times article and "short visits" to be your primary motivation to relocate. Did you actually interact with folks during these short visits? Did you visit more than one neighborhood, as they are all very dynamic and different, offering some sub cultures who like to smile and some who don't? I know this world can be a cold place, but believe it or not, not everybody's soul has grown so cold that they do not care to make pleasant, humane small talk with customers who they rely on for their business. Some people still actually like people, and see them as such. So I'm sorry, that must have been very rough for you to have people look you in the eye and treat you like a real person as you supported their business. And I'm wondering, were you wearing a t-shirt to let people know that you were in fact NOT a "proud Oregonian" so they knew to give you those icy cold stares that you attribute to them knowing that you were not a "proud Oregonian?" Or was it the icy cold stares that you were preemptively giving them in anticipation of the coldness you believed they would give you? Did they actually voice that they were afraid of you taking their job? Or was that again, perhaps your own paranoia? Did you ever consider that they were…what do they call it…oh yeah: genuinely interested in you? And it's not that Portland "thinks" they are a big city with world-class restaurants. They ARE a big city—or at least a major city—with world-class restaurants (recently voted 3rd best food in the nation). And if you don't like bone marrow ice cream: don't eat it. Must you be threatened by creativity and artisanship? And with 90% with a high school degree and 30% with a college degree or higher and 19 4-year colleges in the Portland metro-area, I think it's safe to say Portlanders have brain cells (and at least most of their teeth).

11/6/2014
"Whoever is responsible for PR in this city is an
Portlanders brag that the best thing about Portland is that within a short drive in any direction you can find beautiful wilderness and outdoor activities. Very true. Unbeatable landscape out there.

My neighbors tell me our neighborhood is good because it's easily accessible to the highway. And I agree: The best thing about the place is how easy it is to leave.

Compare Portland, Oregon to any other place in the USA.

Select a New Section: