Select a New Section:

Home / United States  /  Connecticut / Metro Areas / Counties / Cities / Zip Codes

Start Your Review of Connecticut, CT

8/5/2016
Climate of Conncticut:
Lived in New Haven on the Connecticut coast (Long Island Sound) for 5 years in College. Summers are hot and often humid, but I like the beach and warm weather so I loved it. Springs and falls were nice and often sunny (much better than WI were I come from). Winters were moderately cold with snow on a few occasions, but not winter is not long and very cold snowy like the far northern states and upper Midwest.

2/16/2016
EXSPENSIVE TO LIVE HERE
I CAN'T SEE RETIRING HERE IN CT WAY TO EXSPENSIVE , COLD, AND LOTS OF TAXES MAKE IT IMPOSSIBLE TO RETIRE HERE.

1/30/2016
Connecticut
Connecticut offers a good diversity of cultures, religion,heritage and employment opportunities. We have a variety of geography ranging from the shorelines of Long Island Sound to scenic mountain ranges, and an established highway system crisscrossing the state allowing easy access to seaside restaurants, vineyards, orchards and ski slopes and all business and vistas in between.

12/6/2015
Cost of living in CT
In the state of CT not only do we pay state income tax, but we have very high property tax. For a home about valued $200,000 we pay over $5000 annually. In addition we pay property tax on our cars, motorcycles, and boats. Then we have the sales tax of 6.35%.

Painful. The pay is more here becuase of the cost of living, but so are every other cost. Food, clothes, cars, houses, etc...

8/18/2015
Want Out
Very general statement: very expensive and the people are nasty.

3/9/2015
compare qol
Farmington/Hartford Connecticut (New England in general); Kalamazoo/Grand Rapids, Michigan (MI in general) (M), and Walnut Creek/Bay Area California (CA in general, which doesn't really exist there). Assuming an income of around 200,000. E, barely haning in there. Housing in desirable areas with top school systems, you will need more with kids factoring in sports and recreation singce nothing is free, it's all clubs, like the cadillac days of the 60s and 70s. M is manageable for a more modest decent education. There is a lot more that s free, like lakes and beaches and other recreation. Both Kalamazoo and Farmington share the inbetween two great and divergent cities, Chicago and Detroit and NYC and Boston, respectively. So access to culture and entertainment is the same better or worse depending on your cultural preferences, but cheaperin the M to be sure since CT, NYC, and Boston boast the highest COL anywhere in the country. To be sure you can afford anything anywhere at great sacrifice. The M is the easiest place to sacrifice without living in a crime ridden down and out city with bad public schools. On the W, it's more complicated because of the diveristy of economies in the Northern and Southern halfs of CA-NoCal and SoCal, and really within these spaces there is a lot of variation, but overall, places can be found that rival the M, but on the higher end of things in terms of QOL and of course, CA is the BIG CITY, anywhere you go you are permantly on vacation. Having said that, there is a somewhat homogenous feel to CA, fast, light, bright, grandiose, minimization of problem reality, but it's inescapable because of the environment and the weather and "possibilities", unless of course, you're in traffic. Speaking of which, there is only decent mass transit in NYC and to some extent, Boston. Both CA and MI are severely limited. The AMTRAK runs along the 95 corrider in the E from NYC (also to DC) to almost RI and up to Hartford. But it's slow and more expensive than you would think. The easiest lifestyle is in the midwest, all things considered. If your are into glizt and glamor, finance, and all things money, then the E is a good choice, if you are a dreamer and warm weather outdoors person, then the W is the best. On the E you will find more people who have lived there all their life (remember I'm talking NE, not South of CT), in the midwest some of the same but more movement, in fact, there's a lot of exchange between MI and CA mostly heading W but so

1/8/2015
Bridgeport Lumber
Northeast Building Supply offers a variety of products and services designed to meet the needs of our customers. Our specialized inventories and the expertise of our team members at each of our three locations are second to none. We are proud of our unsurpassed product quality, personal attention, and courteous service that have made us the valued choice of building professionals and homeowners throughout Connecticut since 1868.

12/13/2014
Worst State On Almost Every List
I grew up in CT; it is a very beautiful state with miles of coastline. There are extremely poor, crime-ridden cities (Bridgeport, Norwalk) but there are also extremely expensive safe cities. Farmington is one of the latter; although parts of it are dominated by woods, the Farmington River, farms, etc., it is right next to Avon and Simsbury, two extremely expensive suburbs of Hartford. CT is a one-party state with an abnormally large number of federal, state and municipal workers, all of whom have pension/health plans that they and and their unions guard jealously. CT is the bluest of blue states with a high income tax, high sales tax, high property tax, and punishing taxes on small business and the creation of small businesses. Bonuses are given to big, extremely successful companies for staying in the state. I've been priced out of my home state because my income hasn't changed in 10 years while the value of my house has gone down, the taxes on it have gone up, utilities and food have gone WAY up, cable/internet are very high, and there are 0-no job opportunities that would allow me to increase my salary. As I near retirement, CT becomes even less appealing because they tax Social Security and investments the same way they tax income. All my retirement $$$ will go to making sure that state workers, teachers and other union members will retire comfortably while I'll be lucky to be able to stay in my home. I'm getting out ... and so are 30,000 other people/year.

9/28/2014
why dont the people get a job
stop robbing people get off your butts and get a job.

2/24/2014
One of the only places where you get the full expe
My favorite thing about CT is definitely how true the climate is to each season: you get the most beautiful autumns, the freshest springs, as well as the harshest winters, however that is what makes CT one of the best places to live.

2/17/2014
CT TAXES
Politicians here can't find enough ways to take your money. TAX,TAX, and more TAXES. Their favorite sport is to chase seniors out of the state.

12/26/2013
Very liberal, very expensive
I like the CT town I live in, but it is becoming more and more expensive to live here. I hate the New England politics and with that, the cost to live here is high.

11/17/2013
Beautiful
I am from the Northeast area NY, CT and Jersey. I can say the best thing about living up here is being so close to NY and always having something to do and being able to experience and enjoy the 4 seasons. Certain areas are absolutely beautiful but unfortunately the cost of living is just getting to out of hand therefore I'm looking to relocate to Valdosta please provide any information that would help aid me in my transition.

9/25/2013
CT.
CT. Is a beautiful state.

8/10/2013
CT schools
The schools in CT are considered over average but the have similar problems as others. The problem is not the school or curriculum or location but the system which presumes miscommunication between the educators- each teacher cares only about his/her subject.

The new trends are encouraging though- particularly teaching chess in middle schools.

1 2 3 4 5

Compare Connecticut, Connecticut to any other place in the USA.

Select a New Section: