Select a New Section:

Hawaii

Start Your Review of Hawaii, HI

11/11/2015
Cost of Living
The cost of living is very high in the State of Hawaii. However, the beauty of the islands and its people is what keeps people from leaving.

4/10/2014
Aloha
I love people from all other the world this is so cool such a good people here.

2/17/2014
moving to hawaian islands
my wife and i have traveled to Hawaii three to four times we been to 4 of the islands once and the last few times to Oahu ,Maui mostly . we are think of moving over from the mainland probably rent first and buy after we like Maui less people there than Oahu but finding work is that a problem ??

info and weather
I need a place to live where my health can get better... low humidity, sunshine, 70-85. I'm looking 4 a small place 1 bd/1 bath, (or even an efficiency) not real fancy- but clean and in good condition. I need to have close access to a pool. also necessary for my health. I can't afford a high price of living, as I am on SSDI. I would hope that I could get an increase in my payments to keep up with the higher prices. It doesn't have to be Hawaii, but somewhere with the same weather stats.

11/7/2012
Yup, It's an Island, Good and Bad...
I was born and raised in HI, spent 30 years there, and am part-Native Hawaiian. Ha, yes - island living is not for everyone. The good side: the weather is fantastic pretty much all the time, although warmer and more humid than CA (where I lived another 10 years). (Someone else on here complained about the lack of A/C - you're just too used to it. I didn't have A/C until I moved to the mainland. Open your windows, take advantage of those great tradewinds.) The people are nice and normal, it's pretty safe overall, and the food options are great (especially if you like asian cuisines - HI has the real deal). The beaches are beautiful, and there is greenery and birds around you everywhere. The people are tech-savvy and "wired". The majority are asian or part-asian - it's a pretty diverse and cosmopolitan place, but somewhat slanted towards asians.

That said, there is a bad side: it *is* an island. It's crowded, there are cars and people everywhere. It's expensive - you're pretty much held hostage when it comes to housing, gas is expensive, and most goods must be shipped in from the mainland, making them pricier. Good housing and good jobs are coveted and limited, and jobs do not pay as well as they might on the mainland. Your paycheck will not go as far as you're probably used to. The public schools probably are bad (I wouldn't know, I went to a private school). Distance-wise, nothing is that far, but the traffic can be pretty bad, depending on your route. There is the potential for hurricanes and tsunamis, but anything really bad is pretty rare - last bad hurricane was 20 years ago, and it only hit some areas bad. Last bad tsunami was 60+ years ago, and it was before the creation of the tsunami warning system in the Pacific. Heavy rains do happen.

Many who are born in HI end up attending college elsewhere, and then staying, since the COLA is much, much lower elsewhere. Those who stay or return often do so because of family. It's a place people stay in or move to out of love for the place and the people. It is not a place to go to if you want to have lots of money and want to be able to afford lots of creature comforts, without having to work much or possibly get two jobs. Jobs and housing will be limited and not fantastic, but the weather, people, culture, and scenery might be enough for you.

10/13/2012
Moving on ...
I'm interested in moving in the next 3 yrs and would like to compare areas.

8/29/2012
Housing
high cost of housing

6/3/2012
Living in Hawaii
Beautiful place to live with almost perfect weather. Unfortunately, cost of living is way too high. The cost of shipping is also much higher for most products sold on the internet especially from the mainland.

12/13/2011
Warm and Dry
Kihei is a warm dry area on Maui. basically desert like the coastline is developed with beautiful parks and beaches. the lush vegetation of the developed areas are in stark contrast to the native surrounding area, but living in Kihei puts you in 10 to 20 minutes to almost any climate condition you want.

12/4/2011
Cost of Housing
Very Expensive

8/22/2011
If you're thinking about moving to HI...
I moved here about 5 years ago to Oahu. At first, it was great; great views and beaches. Then the reality struck - high cost of living and non-local racism. Cost of living was something that I was aware of, hence was able to deal with it. However, constant and very subtle non-local racism is not.
I personally have not had any racial (based on skin color) incidents, however, suffered from very subtle non-local racism.
I even encountered non-local racism from college students aging from 18 to late 20s. This is an evidence of how wide spread racism exists in Hawaii no matter how educated the local person may be; even the new generations are affected by it and are offenders of racism.
All of my friends are people from outside of Hawaii of any races except for one friend who is a Hawaiian descendant who resided in the mainland for a few years, which in her opinion, opened up her view.
Some friends of mine were cursed or received derogatory comments at work. One friend who almost lost his knee cap due to work accident could not even report the accident because of the locals. I, personally, am suffering from non-local racial hostility at work.
There is no more Aloha in Hawaii unless you are a tourist.

8/18/2011
means of transportation
very convenient

4/13/2011
It's a beautiful state but you pay for it
I really don't like living here cost of living here is to high. And not to much to do here. Just movies beach alot of barbeques.Traffic sucks. You would need a good paying job to survive here. And this stste has one of the highest gas prices. Better if we all ride horses to work.

1 2 3 4

Compare Hawaii, Hawaii to any other place in the USA.

Select a New Section: