Select a New Section:

COL
great cost of living

11/19/2014
Experience all 4 seasons
If you want variety, Indiana can provide it with 4 distinct seasons.

10/13/2014
Indiana's Responsible Fiscally
I came from Illinois, so I was amazed to find that Indiana is very fiscally responsible. We actually got a tax rebate since there was a budget surplus!

12/3/2013
Bloomington IN Made me hate the USA
- I was born in Maine, went to college in Idaho, lived and worked in Florida, North Carolina, Mississippi, Tennessee, Louisiana and finally moved here or rather became trapped legally in 2011. Of all those States I listed above (AND ENJOYED!), many are widely considered: racist, backwards, uneducated, poor, miserable and corrupt, Indiana is by FAR the worst State I have ever lived in. I came here to visit friends two years ago and was arrested on three trumped up, bogus charges and threatened with eleven years in prison (do five). I took 6 years of probation instead. Mistake. I should have just done the time and been out of here a year earlier, this State is it's own prison. I have by no means been an angel during my life and have made real mistakes which I am very sorry and accountable for but coming here was the stupidest and most self destructive decision I have ever made in my life.
- I live in a town called Bloomington , which I understand by Indiana standards is some sort of liberal oasis in this sea of redneck, retardation that is the Hoosier State. Bloomington is not a liberal city, there is not one gay bar in the whole damn town, yet the local I.U. enthusiasts LOVE to boast how Bloomington has more gay people per-capita than anywhere else on earth. The cops are evil, people are cold, there is very little music here at all despite the fact that IU boasts The Jacobs School of Music. There is a surprisingly large homeless population which is constantly harassed by the police and funneled in and out of the jails, prisons and the so called "5th floor" mental hospital.
-The absolute, very worst and most frustrating part of living in "Gloomington" IN, is: the constant and rigid indoctrination that Bloomington really IS a cool place. The people here defend it with the same reverence, fear and awe displayed by a battered women or hypnotized cult follower! The PRETENSE is what drives me crazy. At least in Mississippi, Louisiana and other places I have lived they admitted and acknowledged their situation. They were content and comfortable with their ways how ever skewed and these states had incredible food and culture to off set misgivings. The City of Bloomington buries it's head it's in it's own racist, deaf, dumb and blind sands egotism and simultaneously touts it's hideous, headless corpse around proudly like it's the new Castro District of the midwest. The only thing this town doe not try and hide is it's legal and political corruption. The town is a

6/19/2013
Home is where the heartland is...
The cost and quality of living continues to surpass my expectations.

6/30/2012
shelbyville, indiana
hi there. i am new to this site. i appreciate reading and learning about new places. presently i live in shelbyville,indiana. it is a nice place. there is low crime here and it is a clean area to iive in. i will say that our weather is very weird. today it was like 106 degrees. it is a dirty heat. i have lived out west, in the military and and overseas, it is just a different type of close heat. these last few years we have been getting winter ice storms. this past winter i slid out of my drive to go to work, and then i slid in my drive when i got home. that was really scary.i really hate the cold. thank you for this site. i appreciate you. have a nice day. warm regards, claudia

2/27/2012
Quiet & Conservative
That sums up Indiana - for the most part. With a church on every other corner, no liquor sales permitted on Sunday EXCEPT at restaurants, the atmosphere is fairly mundane.
It has it's crime, Indianapolis has even been on one of the regular cop shows. So it's definitely not innocent. But it's far from Las Vegas. There are no mountains, no oceans or beaches - unless you want to count the dunes on lake Michigan or Indiana beach on lake Shafer.
If you are looking for low cost of living and a fairly quiet life, Indiana is a good state for that.

12/5/2011
Great If You Are A Republican
Indiana made history in 2008 when it voted democrate for the first time in a presidential election in like 46 or 64 years...all though the state goes through periods where leaders work in a bipartisan manner like the senator team of center leaning Republican Richard Lugar and Blue Dog Democrate Evan Bayh. But like all good things that team came to an end and Mr. Lugar is left standing alone on Capital Hill defending the middle ground for those of us who still believe it exists. Rhe state wasted untold amounts of my tax dollars to amend the state's constitution to criminalize same sex unions. That was the deal breaker for me. Seperation of church and state does not exist here. Leave your union membership at the door. Expect everyone around you here to assume you did NOT vote for Obama. And don't expect the local high school to teach your children evolution side by side w/creationism like federal law mandates. They just see that as some no good outsiders oppinion...unless of course that outsider is Jesus Christ or one of his followers. Think Chicago's got gangster political problems? Who do you think it's little sibling Indianapolis learned from? There's still a lot of those old partnerships thriving here today. I thought that maybe when my generation got old enough we would help pull politics into the middle around here, but not enough of the old, white, rich, protestant, men have vacated their positions yet. Too socially conservative and Christian based politics here for me to wanna spend another 35 years here. Getting out ASAP

7/12/2011
moving to Fort Wayne IN
Hi, my company is relocating me to Fort Wayne from San Francisco Bay Area. The company has offered $75,000 per annum. Can someone tell me if that is a reasonable income to live decently there?
Can someone give me an idea. When would a 3 bed decent accomodation rental be in a good neighborhood. I have two middle school going kids..

6/12/2011
Central & Southern IN
Central and Southern IN have a lot to offer. Indianapolis has many quality hospitals and medical facilities. Bloomington is a great college town. There are rolling hills and quaint small towns in the south. There is something for everyone to enjoy!

4/9/2011
Indianapolis Indiana my point of view
Indianapolis has a few goods and a way more bad...
Yes its cheap ,but the lifestyle is horrible..
people here are racists , fake , polite(fake polite) ,there's a lot of trash and rednecks !.big % of men have no jobs, no teeth ,no fashion common sense , no education ,and very stack up.....Most of Hoosiers never been out of Indiana there whole life's.!?!!i was shocked about it!! and i am sure and i know there's some very nice people,who don't belong to this category , but i live here almost 7 years ,and i lived north side, south side, west side, east side ..basically all the sides of Indianapolis and is pretty much the same.except north side when you have rich ignorant uneducated people..NOT ALL...but the majority!
and veeeeery racist.!!!!!! very very!!!they dont like Diversity here, and if you from Europe they can NOT tell the differences between latino race and European..!!! also they are racist to each other..blacks with latino - white with black and so on.....I do not like it here ,but because of very wrong choices that i made i have to be here for little more while...after that i will DEFINITELY MOVE OUT OF INDIANA..

12/23/2010
Lake Effect Snow
It just gets way to cold and snows too often! A little change for the seasons is one thing but snowing all winter is just not for me! It's time to find a new city!

6/28/2010
Northwestern Indiana
Living near the Dunes is great, plus close to Chicago. So outdoors and indoor stuff to do. The Dunes has beaches, camping, boating, fishing, hiking trails and a varaity of other outdoor activities. Chicago has concerts, zoos, musuems, aquarium and more. It is a very nice place to have some of both worlds.

4/8/2010
Climate
The temperature in Indiana changes on a daily basis. Yesterday it was in the 70s, today it's in the 50s. It's supposed to be in the 30s by morning. "If you don't like the weather now, just wait 5 minutes and it will change."

8/4/2009
Too cold Too long
it's the state of a never-ending winter-now that summer is nearly over we are just now beginning to experience spring!!

1 2

Compare Indiana, Indiana to any other place in the USA.

Select a New Section: