Select a New Section:

Louisiana

Start Your Review of Louisiana, LA

10/28/2016
Summary of LA IMO
I have lived here my whole life and I have to say it sucks. Summers are ridiculously hot. People are usually unfriendly. Home prices are through the roof. Third and fourth generation welfare leechers thrive. Crime is crazy in some areas. Don't think rural areas don't get hit either. We've had things stolen multiple times. You better lock it in a building and hope no one breaches it. Until sheriffs start telling criminals if you're on someone's property stealing you're on your own and if you get shot you can't sue if you live nor a family member can. There should be 2 states north and south. Below Alexandria is totally different. The Kisatchie National Forest is pretty. North Central Louisiana is much more pleasing to the eyes. Too much delta on the east. Most people live in shacks or mobile homes because of the home prices. Shreveport area sucks. Alot of methheads here. Just stating the facts when I say the higher crime areas are usually niggers not black people. There is a difference. You folks that call people racist in the south come live here a few months and you will see. Stay away from Monroe, Shreveport, Winnfield, Gibsland, Jonesboro, and Arcadia. Ruston is ok, but ridiculous cost of homes and land. Calhoun is becoming popular but it does come at a price as well. If I was to score LA I would give it a 6/10. Good luck.

Personal Experience While Living in Sienna Plantat
In regards to crime, schools, and some of the management while living there (it being a master planned community in an extraterritorial jurisdiction of Missouri City), I would not recommend moving here to anyone. I had some truly horrible experiences while living in Sienna Plantation. A member of my husband's employer's relocation team and the realtor who sold our home shared their mutual feelings of some of the management with my husband as well. I hope things have improved since we moved away.

10/24/2012
Small town. .but making a comeback !
Lake Charles promises great prosperity in future years. .suffering economically like most smaller cities, there are big plans for future growth in industry and construction. . Lot of social events, including a huge Mardi GRAS season, and excellent cultural events. . There is a state tax, but one of the lowest in the country. . If you love hunting, fishing and water sports, this is a great place to participate. . Poor seasonal climate. . Hot and humid. . Short winters. . No autumns. .and barely a spring. . Beautiful old and new construction. . A revival of downtown and the Garden Districi. .

7/3/2012
So sad for the people
I have lived in Louisiana all my life and never in the past considered leaving. It was the state I was born in.

I had hope in this governor that we elected. Bur it seems he is after the VP position in washington.
But he is making a mess of our state while he is in office here. A lot of people have been punished for opposing him and his ideas. Many have lost their jobs and even moved out of Louisiana.

The crime is horrible here. Every morning there is always a report of 1-2 shootings in the city somewhere.
I would not dare go out to Baton Rouge after 5pm. And what is there to do downtown after 5pm? Just a lot of homeless people and gay bars. Especially since they took all the movie theaters out. Made room for more bars.

It is sad. It use to be a wonderful town. We didn't even lock our doors at night. We use to live the American dream.
Now it is a nightmare.

By the way, last election, NO one ran against our present governor except a brave school teacher who would had at least looked out for our children hopefully.

2/25/2012
Re- lacting to Louisiana
I live in Lumberton, NC it's and o.k. place but I'm originally from Louisiana... I also serve in the Ministry, and I'm looking for a very good place in Louisiana... to go back home to God Bless!!!

2/21/2012
not best
when ur docs r telling that if u have a "special needs child" this is not best state to be in it makes one freak.

1/1/2012
Cost of living
The cost of living is high.

3/4/2011
Not bad but not great either
I definitely don't hate Lake Charles, but I would choose Lafayette over Lake Charles any day. One of the main positives about Lake Charles is the cheap cost of living. The same home in Lafayette could be more than double. Another great thing is the ease of traffic. I don't know if Lake Charles's traffic is good, or if Lafayette's is atrocious. Either way, that is another thing better than Lafayette. Lafayette and Lake Charles have a lot in common. The people are friendly and the food is great. Also, the weather is equivalent to a hot shower from April to October. That is primarily due to the oppressive humidity. I met a family from North Dakota, and I thought they were gonna die. They said, "It gets up to 90 degrees at home! I don't understand why this is so unbearable." In case you are new here, 90 degrees here is a huge difference from anywhere else. The water in the air just seems to magnify the sun. Lake Charles's economy is not the greatest, and there are not a lot of things to do. This is a great family oriented area, but if you are single and looking for fun, please don't do this to yourself. The schools are not the greatest either. Lafayette has better schools and a wealth of great activities to participate in. Lafayette may have awful traffic and a crazy cost of living, but it's worth every dime. Also, from personal experience and the experience of many family members who have attended both, ULL in Lafayette is a lot more vigorous and advanced of a curriculum, no matter what your major is. McNeese State University is the local school in Lake Charles, but I don't recommend it at all. One thing I should mention before I close this is that the population of Lafayette is nearly double Lake Charles. Honestly, both of these cities are great; it just depends on what you are looking for. Lake Charles has more of a small town feel, while Lafayette is a little busier, though it is still far from being a large city. If you plan on living in Louisiana at all, these two are great and so is New Orleans. Don't try Baton Rouge, Shreveport, Monroe, and Alexandria. The cities are dull with awful traffic. Shreveport in particular should come with a warning label. It's probably the most dangerous place you can find without leaving the country. Pack your bullet-proof vest if you are interested in visiting. Many of the small towns are great, but try to pick one near an interstate. That puts the larger cities at your fingertips.

1/10/2011
Make It Louisiana for Me
I am a Georgia transplant, and a LA. resident for 41 years. At one time I
thought that I would return to my GA. roots but LA's hold is too strong. One
of the things I like most about LA. is that it is a melting pot of so many
cultures. People from a myriad of cultures and walks of life blend into one
cohesive group, with very little prejudice. You won't find better food anywhere on earth, honest to God. Our state is full of history and breath
taking beauty. No matter where you are in the state, you are not far from an
historical area of great interest. LA. has been very big in the film industry, with countless movies at least partially filmed here. New Orleans is a mixture of party town (especially at Mardi Gras) and history jackpot. The Mississippi River boasts beautiful plantation homes that take you back to a simpler way of life. America's most haunted house is a short drive north of the capital city of Baton Rouge, the Myrtles. The people who's ancestors came here many generations ago tend to be very devoted to their culture, sometimes to the extent of shunning those whose family has been here a mere hundred years. A common question asked, as you meet a french matriarch is, "Where you from and who's you mama?" With your acceptance of them and enjoyment of their cultures, come their acceptance of you. Come and see our history, our beautiful live oaks, taste our food and soak up the sheer beauty of our state. You'll be back.

11/9/2010
Louisiana has a great climate
There's no problem with the temperature unless you were raised somewhere its' cold. The grass stays green over nine months a year normally, your feet only get cold during wedding, and most days you can go fishing. What more do you want? If you just got to be cod buy a good air conditioner or just fill the bath tube up with ice.

8/26/2010
A Great Place To Live!
Fantastic cultural diversity, low cost of living, fru-fru all the way to swamp rat here! Plenty of things for kids to do in the cities and don't forget the best out-of-doors adventures in the country (except snow skiing and mountain climbing). Its hot as one respondent claimed but in the 20th century A/C was invented. Buy one. Start days outside early and come inside at noon and nap like ordinary folks and then back outside around 4:00 and enjoy the wonderful Cajun nights. More festivals here than anywhere else. Drinking...Nobody forces you to! The most hospitable people in the entire U.S. Bon Temps.

johnsaul • www.sicksalt.com

5/18/2010
cheap
cost of living is cheap

11/17/2009
Not the place to be.
It's unbearably hot 6 months out of the year (which helps explain why Louisiana is the 47th healthiest state) It is always humid. Always. Unless you live in New Orleans, there is nothing to do in this state if you can't drink. The people judge you based on anything physical they see about you. and you have to have been in a town for at least 3 generations for people to not glare at you.

Louisiana is not a place to raise a family with happy children. It's too hot - they're never going outside. It's at least 95 degrees everyday in the summer. and there is nothing to do for your teenager kids who aren't willing to do drugs and drink in the "city".

1 2 3

Compare Louisiana, Louisiana to any other place in the USA.

Select a New Section: