Select a New Section:

Maryland

Start Your Review of Maryland, MD

7/8/2015
High cost of living
For a small state, Maryland is so overly taxed that it make the cost of living way to high for the benefits obtained from living in the state

5/30/2015
DC bedroom
I'm in Maryland just 10 miles outside DC. Nothing really to say. I guess I live here because I work in College Park, where UMD is. All the culture and fun is 10 miles away in DC.

5/3/2015
Lots of good colleges
There are lots of good colleges in Maryland.

1/26/2014
Nice variety
Nothing is too much, heat in the summer and snow in the winter are both moderate and fun.

10/31/2013
Difficult to get to the ocean
We wish it were easier to get to the ocean.

9/7/2013
Maryland is expensive
It is ridiculously expensive to live here. I have a master's degree with a full-time teaching job and I can't afford to move out of my parent's house. My wife and I will be re-locating as soon as possible, likely to Delaware where housing is much cheaper. You really need 2 full-time incomes to live in Maryland. 50K is about 15K too low to be able to have your own place unless you want to live in a ghetto in Baltimore or live really far away from work. That's especially true if you're paying student loans, by the way, but even without that I'd be having financial problems. I have a coworker (teacher) who works in my school in central Maryland area; her commute is 2 hours one way because it's cheaper farther out. Can't find a decent 1 bedroom apartment for less than $1100 here unless it is senior housing, a bad neighborhood, or near the border of another state.

8/17/2013
Recreation
There is a lot of things to do as far as recreation. Southern Maryland has the Chesapeke Bay where there is fishing, crabing,boating, jetskiing, windsurfing,and hunting. There is a lot of shoppig malls, parks, and restaurants. Annapolis has a lot of night clubs and is close to Washington DC. The cost of living is to high. I will move to another state when I retire.

5/29/2013
Culture & Recreation
LOTS to do in this area since there is easy access to Washington DC, Baltimore, and Maryland's Eastern Shore. Love it!

3/1/2013
Maryland: what to expect when nobody flushes the t
Liberal beyond all reality, corrupt and MD elected officials' favorite past time is laying awake at night ... figuring ways to spend YOUR money on others who refuse to work. Its just DC but, with one of the stars on the US Flag.

10/23/2012
high taxes
it is extremely expensive to live in Maryland

9/3/2012
cost of living
It is very expensive to live here although it is a fun place to live. There is a lot of traffic and regulations for everything. I think I would like a little more open space and room for my dogs to run off leash. They both have AKC obedience titles and listen well. I live in a community about 7 miles from downtown Annapolis so there is lots to do. This is a destination place to live for sure but you really pay the price for living here. High taxes and this is a one party state so its like living in a dictatorship with no say in our government.

8/24/2012
IMHO
Like with everything else, whether you will enjoy the political environment of Maryland is highly dependant on your own political views. Maryland overall is very liberal. Generally is batched with DC and Ma.. That said, the southern counties of St Mary's, Charles, and Calvert are somewhat more conservative. Due to the population distribution of the state which determines local representation in the state government, three localities controls what passes and what doesn't. Those are Baltimore, Montgomery, and Prince George. I view the state as a Tax and Spend state which also enjoys passing legislation to control behaviours. This can be seen on the alcohol and cigarette taxes, no smoking laws, no using cell phone while driving laws, etc.

7/20/2012
good place to retire
looking for a retiremant state and city all comments helpful

6/9/2012
MD is not the place we want to retire
We have lived in MD for more than 21 years. It has been a reasonable place to live and work during these years but going forward we realize it time to move. Our kids could not afford to buy homes in our communities and have moved to lower cost areas with better job opportunities, so despite having lots of friends still in the area, our roots are being pulled out of the area. In addition, the political and economic climate in MD are a serious concern. The liberal Democratic politicians are leading the state in a direction we disagree with. The dependence of the economy on federal government is viewed by many as a strength but that has its limits and downsides long term. It's time to get off this bus and get on another going where we want to be. Our focus now is finding a new destination.

2/24/2012
Vacation elsewhere in August
Summers in Maryland are uncomfortably warm and humid. It is estimated that over 800,000 residents if the greater DC area go on vacation during the month of August to escape the unbearable heat and humidity. It is very uncomfortable and we often stay indoors to avoid the exposure.

1 2 3 4 5

Compare Maryland, Maryland to any other place in the USA.

Select a New Section: