Select a New Section:

Minnesota

Start Your Review of Minnesota, MN

9/30/2015
Living in the Twin Cities
Its a great place -- lots to do, diverse population. Negatives are cold winters and high taxes.

2/5/2015
SNOW SNOW SNOW
WHEN I FIRST MOVED HERE, SEEMED LIKE A NICE PLACE TO LIVE. THEN WINTER HIT, IT WAS ONE OF THE WORST WINTER'S TO HIT MINNESOTA IN QUITE SOMETIME. BEING FROM SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA, WHAT A RUDE AWAKENING. I WAS TOLD THIS ONLY HAPPENS ONCE IN A WHILE? SO I CHECKED MYSELF ON THE WEATHER CHANNEL. THEY INFORMED ME USUAL WINTERS ARE USUALLY WINTERS ARE AT FREEZING OR BELOW FREEZING. SINCE THAT 2007 I RECEIVED THAT INFORMATION I HAVE BEEN DESPERATELY TRYING TO RELOCATE BACK TO CALIFORNIA OR FLORIDA!

8/11/2014
Too cold in the winter
Too much ice and snow!!!

6/23/2014
Weather in Minnesota
It's cold, it's hot, it's humid!

10/16/2013
Nice place to live, but . . .
Minnesota is a great place to live -- if you have money. Now that I'm retired, I've grave concerns about the on-going increase in the cost of living, particularly in the areas that matter most to retirees, housing, food, medical care, transportation. I'm sad should I decide to leave here, but these concerns (well, yes, the weather can be extremely nasty!), but that is probably the choice I will make.

6/24/2013
Minnesota
Very nice clean state, great public schools, and excellent medical, however negatives are high taxes, cost of living, very cold and difficult climate, and feels like living in the middle of no where compared to the East Coast.

2/18/2013
High Taxes
Minnesota is known for its high cost of living a taxes. It one of a few states that tax income from all sources, including pensions and social security. The weather is also challenging.

1/25/2013
MN's east/west envy
I've lived in Minnesota most of my life mainly due to my job. Retirement is in sight and I plan to escape as soon as possible. MN has always been a high tax state, but it seems to want to emulate New York and California as much as possible. Recently, the governor has released his new "progressive" plan for tax increases. The climate alone is bad enough without competing for the title of "highest taxed state". Time to leave!

2/29/2012
Too cold!
Lots of dairy farms, cropland and mosquitoes. The lakes are clear and cold, people are pretty nice.

6/26/2011
cost of living
cost of living is very high

3/28/2011
Cold
Its cold but really great in the summer through fall.

1/24/2011
The winter are REALLY cold and REALLY LOOOONNNGGGG
When we talk about the winter here in MN, there is just no relative notion to it. The facts of the matter, without injecting my opinion, are that the winters here are REALLY cold. Now, when I say cold, I am not just talking about normal cold, like it gets into the teens and there is something to talk about cold. Oh no. I am talking about bone-chilling, booger-freezing, feels-like-your-exposed-flesh-is-being-stabbed-with-knives kind of cold. And the winters are LOOOOOONG. There is no equally dividing twelve months into four seasons here in Minnesota. I don’t care about the solstices and equinoxes. Those DO NOT APPLY here. Winter lasts at least November to April, sometimes October to May, and anyone who tells you differently is delusional and is trying to convince themselves, as well as you, of a LIE.

At first, when we decided we were making the move to MN, we’d joke about the weather. “Oh, it’s gonna be cold,” we’d say and follow it with lighthearted giggling. WE HAD NO IDEA. I often ask myself why under the sun did I not ask someone about the weather before we moved here? Why didn’t I talk with some of the locals we met on our house-hunting trip and ask them to tell me about it?

Now, I know there are people who love winter. They wait the long months of spring and “summer” for that first snowfall in October. And for them, this IS THE PLACE. They have arrived. But this was our epiphany experience after traveling to Texas in December. WE HATE WINTER. HAAAAAAATTTTTTTEEEEEEEEEE winter. Why on earth do we live in Minnesota? As we made the long drive back, we felt the ceiling closing in on us. Traveling north and seeing the snow pack gradually appear, we felt our freedom being slowly robbed from us. Freedom from coats and boots and gloves. Freedom from daily snow shovelling of the sidewalk and the driveway and the ROOF. The freedom to just go outside without any preparation or special gear and sit on the deck and grill without freezing. The freedom to garden and run on GRASS, to play ladderball and baseball, and to go on family bike rides. And yes, while much of the country has experienced a bit more winter in the last month than they are used to, we have been dealing with it since November. And while our friends in other states will for years talk about that really snowy winter they had in 2010-2011, for us here in Minnesota, this is just how it is. There is no hope that next year won’t be as bad. THIS IS WINTER in Minnesota

1/23/2011
Gotta get out of this place, if its....
Born and raised in MN. Stay away. This is truly a frozen wasteland.
Let me give you a partial inventory list of things to bring along. Purchase them out of state, out of season and save thousands.
4x4 vehicle,shovels,snow blower,salt sand, broom, tank heater, long extension cord. 4 snow tires, battery charger, space heaters, electric blankets, lots of carhart clothing, assortment of footwear..rubber, tall, lugged, lots of gloves, floor mats, unless you like salt and snow on your carpet, special windshield wash, ice scrapers, rubber scrapers, a case of furnace filters....And a hearty attitude.

12/31/2010
Mid-west Mid-Minnesota
In 1983, I moved to Sunburg, a small rural town where some old guys still speak Norwegian. This area is known as the Glacial Ridge Trail. There are rolling hills covered with farmland, lakes, woods, and wetlands. There are deer, pheasants, ducks and geese, crows and robins. This agricultural region is dotted with small communities that are both humble and proud of their Scandinavian lineage. Ya, you betcha!

It is cold; winters are harsh. But that seems to bring people together to get warm and talk, and it makes us tough. We survive the common enemy together and there is a bond between us because of it.

When spring comes, oh! the warm sun, flowers, grass, the smell of dirt; it has been gone for almost 6 months. Snow melts, trees bud, birds come back. Everyone comes outside after hibernation and Minnesota is "God's Country" again.

Summers are meant for lakes and we got 'em. There are over 365 lakes in Kandiyohi County alone. Well over the boasted 10,000 in the state. There is a thriving tourist season with resorts, fishing, boating, and chillaxation.

The humidity is high and when it gets hot it will take your breath away like a sauna. There are only a few weeks where air conditioning is mandatory. Otherwise, evenings can be cool enough to need a jacket and sit around the campfire. It is often calm winds which is nice, but that brings out the Stupid mosquitoes! Bring SPF-30 and bug repellant, you're gonna need it.

Fall is my favorite time of year. The tourists and snowbirds and bugs are gone. The mornings are crisp, trees burst into color, locals begin preparing for winter. There are county fairs, harvest is in full swing, and everyone is busy. Lots of farm machinery, tractors and semi-trucks on the roads. Geese and ducks fill the skies headed south. Days, you can wear a sweatshirt or light jacket and feel comfortable. Frost comes, mornings get darker, winter is coming.

Winter. Cold. Very Cold. Layers of clothes, boots, gloves, hat, coat - mandatory. Air bites anything exposed. Cars won't start. Everything cracks, nothing bends. People walk with small steps like tight rope walkers because of the ice underfoot. Your next step could send you to the hospital.

There is much to do in this frozen world. Ice festivals, hunting, ice fishing, snowmobiling, skiing, and gathering INDOORS next to a fire where it is warm. We dance and eat and drink, play games, go to school, and work on creative projects, arts and crafts. Most play hard on Saturda

11/18/2010
Winters
As age creeps up the winters are getting harsh. But all in all the four seasons are great for all kind of indoor to outdoor activities, from the arts to lakes and woods.

1 2 3 4 5

Compare Minnesota, Minnesota to any other place in the USA.

Select a New Section: