Search for any place in the USA:

SperlingViews - Virginia, Virginia

Homes Owned61.08%
Home Appreciation-0.38%
Percent Religious44.83%
Commute Time29.4

68.58% of people are white, 19.39% are black, 5.50% are asian, 0.37% are native american, and 6.17% claim 'Other'. 7.90% of the people in Virginia, VA, claim hispanic ethnicity (meaning 92.10% are non-hispanic).

Have an opinion about Virginia? Leave a comment.

Edward
Palmyra, VA
Charlottesville? Not cool - 3/6/2013

I must say that Tunis is right about C'ville (as the locals call it). If you want to exist in a self-important college town then this is the place for you. Just about EVERYTHING is about the wonderful UVA, which gets really boring unless you just can not seem to get enough of the Cavaliers and their innumerable sports teams. Anyway, I've lived all over from Columbia, Missouri to Chicago to Honolulu to Little Rock to Tucson and I have no idea why this town gets so many awards. Oh, I forgo.... they have a bunch of vineyards where you can have a glass o vino......pleeeeeease spare me! The housing prices are ridiculous and higher than metro northern Virginia and it really is an obnoxious little overgrown college town with a few old buildings, mostly conservative old people (in the county) and spoiled youngsters at the BUS, combined with the local yokels who wish they were more Southern as they are just north of the real south. I find it to be a lousy place to live except for the time recreating on the lake and hiking. Oh yeah did I mention the marginal weather here. Yes, Virginia is for lovers alright I you love overcast skies 11 months out of the year (1 break in the cloudy skies in October)! I'm moving back out West where the bright, sunny skies, low humidity, and generally cool people live in harmony with each other and their environment. [read more...]

nick
Aberdeen, MD
CRIME EVERYWHERE - 12/27/2012

RE: Doe Hill VA 24133 It seems that everywhere I look in VA or WV the crime rate is absurdly high. I read that the southwestern stateline area of VA is infested with MS-13 thugs but, an isolated hunting region [called "seldom seen"] with your reported population of "11".....yes, "11" has a crime rate 1.25 times the national average ? Absolutely, rediculous !![read more...]

Kierra
Fairfax, VA
Super crowded - 12/7/2012

Its not so bad but its super crowded here I want to move to colorado because I love the wild life and I believe its a very pretty state. [read more...]

Michele
Chesapeake, VA
Chesapeake, Virginia - 11/13/2012

Chesapeake, Virginia is a great place to live and raise a family.[read more...]

SalukiDean
Stafford, VA
Poor Quality of Life - 8/26/2012

If you are in Virginia and work in DC, the quality of life is poor. Real Estate developers own the government officials. They pack in new homes regardless of need or ability of roads to accomodate denser population. The same developers made sure the Homeowner Association laws take care of homebuilders too...they pass their liabilities onto unsuspecting homeowners and move on to their next plot to get rich. Of course most schools here are new and well equipped....and your real estate taxes are going up 5-10% a year to pay for it. Try getting on I-95 some saturday afternoon to go to a shopping center or theater...we've had many occasions we had to turn around and go home....traffic was a killer. Cost of living.....yikes. Need a good quality and honest contractor? You have a 1 in 5 chance of finding one..... The embittered culture of compalining about losing the "War" still prevails too....rebel flags still fly. We're out of here as soon as I reach age 62.[read more...]

Prince George, VA
Virginia - 6/19/2012

Virginia is for Lovers![read more...]

Beth
Falls Church, VA
Expensive - 6/3/2012

Cost of living in northern va is expensive.[read more...]

Trenese
Brooklyn, NY
Relocation - 5/24/2012

Looking for a good place to rise my family.[read more...]

Ahmed
Springfield, MA
Moving to Richmond or Chester - 10/22/2011

I m thinking to buy a big nice con, store in richmond or Chester, VA. I have to choose one. the one in Chester makes more money but i m worry about racism, because I m from middle east. I m worry that if people know that i m from Middle east, they will not make business and support the store. I wonder if someone can give me an idea about people in Chester as far as if they are open minded... or shall I stick with richmond coz there are more mix race in it? plz help[read more...]

Pgh Gal
Sterling, VA
Northern Virginia - 7/9/2011

While I enjoy the diverse population of Northern Virginia, I am from southwestern Pennsylvania and find the people in Northern Virginia not nearly as friendly.[read more...]

Dee
Washington, DC
Northern VA - 1/11/2011

Live and work in NVA. Have been here for the last 10 years. While the cost of living can be a bit much the quality of life more than makes up for it.[read more...]

Homer
Vienna, VA
Vienna - 8/22/2010

This is a great place to raise kids. Great schools, 2 subway stations, and a wide variety of available recreational activities for people of all ages. Vienna Community Center has all kinds of programs for toddlers through senior citizens. On the down side, since this is a suburb of Washington, DC, traffic can be a major headache during rush hours, as people in places west of Vienna have to go through Vienna to get to DC and back. Also, housing is quite expensive in Vienna, as it is in most other Northern Virginia suburbs of DC. [read more...]

Richmond Virginia - 7/25/2010

The summers here in Va. can be pretty bad. Hot and Humid. OR VERY HOT and VERY HUMID!! Today is 101degrees and so humid you can hardly breathe!! I've lived here my whole life (59 yrs ) and it's ALWAYS been like this! I went to college in Santa Barbara Calif. and felt first hand what a difference lower humidity can make! We're planning on a move away from Va. soon to somewhere with lower humidity. Even the winters are sloppy with some snow and coldish. Fall and Spring can be very nice but JUST around the corner is SUMMER AGAIN!! Oh, did I say summer can last about 6 months!!! [read more...]

weather - 7/25/2010

nick
Aberdeen, MD
crime - 7/17/2010

I've been looking for property in both southern Va and WV. It's amazing and, very disappointing to read of rural, seemingly desirable sites in both states with high crime rates. I notice that many of these spots have low percentages of religious people and fewer with lower grade completion in education. Don't go by pictures or a simple driveby. You need to look at street corners and the night scene. Some of these places seem to be as bad as the big city I'm trying to leave.[read more...]

linda
Alexandria, VA
Weather - 5/29/2010

Cold, snow, dark, grey winters that last 5/6 months! Hot/humid summers, lots of bugs! No spring/fall without rain! Muggy, sticky[read more...]

David
Ashburn, VA
just like new england - 4/24/2010

just like new england[read more...]

ZoeMe
Herndon, VA
Northern Virginia Lifestyle - 3/5/2010

I have lived in the Northern Virginia area for most of my life--about 39 years (excluding 6 years away for college & grad school). I have also traveled a great deal all over the country (and outside of the country) during my 15-year career. In my opinion, Northern VA lacks the charm and uniqueness I've found in so many other places. That's not to say it is a bad place to live per se, quite the contrary. It totally depends upon what you are looking for. If you are looking for a place to easily make friends, charming neighborhoods, decent cost of livng, focus on extracurricular life, and ease in commuting this is definitely not the place for you. NoVA is very transient. It can be very snobby if you aren't "from here". It is very expensive to live here. McMansions are everywhere! There is a lack of sense of community in most areas (unless you live in towns like Vienna, Herndon, parts of Arlington, etc). You'll be lucky if you don't fall prey to "keeping up with the Jones'". There is a heavy focus on competition....your kids, clothing, accessories, cars, salary, house size, you name it. The culture is very work-oriented. People here spend a lot of time commuting and working. The first question people will probably ask is "what do you do?" i.e. where do you work. The traffic is terrible. Unless you live near your office, expect to spend a great deal of time on the road. Because it is less expensive to live further out, the congestion getting into areas like Reston, Herndon, Arlington is just awful. The great things about NoVA? Great restaurants. Shopping. Tons of options (not cheap) for schooling, daycare, etc. Lots of government work. You can get to the beach in about 3.5 hours in no traffic and the "mountains" in an hour or so but it is nothing like the beaches and mountains in other areas of the country I've been. The sad thing I've noticed is 90% of my friends who have moved away from NoVA, absolutely love where they are now and would never willingly return here. These folks have moved to areas including Charlotte, Raleigh, Seattle, Denver, Austin, San Francisco, Boston, NYC, etc. They find that other areas have more focus on living and having fun rather than working. They also find it much easier to make and keep friends. To summarize, I think everyone has to choose a place that makes them happy, enriched and fulfilled. I think NoVA is perfect for lots of folks and far from perfect for others. It totally depends upon what you are looking for and your[read more...]

Next >>