Kalispell, Montana Comments

"stay away"

stay away - 7/11/2009
13 20
Dan

Kalispell is a great city. Please do not move here. WE do not take to outsiders We cling to our guns and religion. This is a one party town Republicans If you are a Democrat we will run you out of town

back to Kalispell, Montana Add a New Comment Report Abuse

Login to reply to Comments. (Membership is Free)

re: stay away - 7/11/2009 - 9/3/2009
I'm sorry, but I live in Kalispell, too, and I happen to love it here. I'm a democrat. I've lived here for 16 years and I haven't been shot or converted. I moved here. The community was warm and welcoming, for the most part. The people like Dan(see first post) are not the norm. Kalispell is just like any other town-there are all types of people, political views, religions, cultures, and ethnicities.

james

re: stay away - 7/11/2009 - 6/19/2013
where i come from only f@gs and women say pleeze and you don't sound female , but respond to this email and I'll give you my location and bring your gun sissy, I'll be there

jordan

re: stay away - 7/11/2009 - 11/1/2010
hi i was wondering how its racial diversity is like in kalispell ive visited once and have planned on moving there ever since but i get a feeling if i move there i will run into some radical racists or something so can someone get back to me on this??.....im half white half black just for the record =)

Explorer

re: stay away - 7/11/2009 - 9/9/2016
A member of my family moved to Kalispell a few months ago, and the people have been wonderful and welcoming. They certainly DO take to outsiders! Nobody would care much less ask what political party anyone belonged to. I would not take the above post seriously, as he does not sound like an honorable, respected member of the beautiful Kalispell community, much less have any of the religion he claims to have.

More Kalispell, Montana Comments

Carissa

Kalispell USE TO be one of the best places to live - 9/29/2016

Kalispell has been a great place to grow up, however with the advancement of the city and everyone moving here that has changed. The crime is starting to get out of control. The jail is at full capacity 95% of the time. The amount of drugs that have been confiscated has doubled since last year alone. The price of housing is becoming outrageous because the growth that is happening cannot keep up with the amount of undesirable people moving here. Unfortunately the people who decide not work and would rather collect welfare seem to enjoy moving here because it is easy to collect benefits. The locals here are nice, however tired of the government leaches and crime happening here! Employers of restaurants cannot find enough help to stay open their normal hours. People receiving welfare should be required to help out the community or work part time!

Jason

Good for single rugged individualists, but not fam - 6/6/2016

Kalispell is an unhappy town in a beautiful setting. Its residents tend to behave like the deer: you see them everywhere, but they are skittish. You constantly ask yourself how people can be so unhappy in such a beautiful, wide-open place far from the maddening crowd? I moved here with my family 1+ year ago and only just met my neighbor because he lost something on my property. We learned in the past year are that Kalispell has major social issues from multi-generational poverty and substance abuse. There are a lot of drug addicts and alcoholics and children of them. You get the feeling, from meeting the older natives, that it was a much nicer town a few decades ago but even they will admit that people here do keep to themselves. Kalispell is small enough that your children will be exposed to the sort of poverty and social issues that in bigger cities you might have been economically segregated from. While this may be more "real" it can be extremely unpleasant and traumatic for your children to participate in it. I'm talking homeless children, children in group homes, kids who have sex at age 10, etc. We were advised the only way to get around the good kids and parents was to put our kids into sports. The few private schools here are packed. That being said, the teachers seem to really care and the class sizes are small, but there are few open house type events and we really have no sense what our child is learning. One of the positives about Kalispell is the "live and let live" mentality where they tolerate and do not intrude on other people's business. For individualists this is very freeing, and it seems to extend even to children who can dress pretty much how they want and other kids do not bother them. But the dark side is they just seem to turn away and not face the problems head on. I think this mentality is why they are very defensive about the problems here. Kalispell is not conservative in the sense that Idaho or Texas is conservative. I would describe it as rugged libertarian with a naive veneer of liberalism. They haven't had their jobs taken by illegal aliens here so they assume anything negative against immigrants is "racist". Kalispell is one of the few cities left in America where the "jobs Americans won't do" are all done by Americans. Fast food, landscaping, construction--all Americans. A local teacher told us that seasonal affective disorder plays a major role in shaping people here, and I agree. The winters are brutal--not from cold or snow--but from the endless gray. Kalispell averages 151 sunny days a year, whereas Seattle averages 152! Seattle has tanning booths on every corner just for people to survive SAD but in Kalispell the tanning booth equivalent are the tiny casino bars on every corner. Keep in mind too that Montana is 4th in the nation for alcohol consumption and 3rd for suicide. I cannot speak for the rest of Montana, but on my last flight to Kalispell, the flight attendant who had 15-years of experience, told me the friendliest people she has met during her career were from Montana, EXCEPT for those from Kalispell. She told me that, and I agree with her. Another resident told us she commutes to Kalispell from nearby Big Fork because people are much friendlier there. I know I have painted a bleak picture, but it cost me a lot of money and time to discover this, and I wanted to share it with families who imagine Kalispell to be Mayberry because they are taken by the scenery and quaint downtown. Yes you can get a big house on a huge lot against a river. Yes deer roam through it and bald eagles fly overhead, but when your children are crying bored lamenting they can't find one friend to come over to play, and your neighbors won't even look at you, it doesn't amount to much. If I were a single person not looking for love, but a devoted lover of nature, Kalispell would be great. People do not mess with you. There is not an artificial, wealth-generated manufactured culture. You can have a loaded gun in your car when you get stopped for speeding and the cops won't blink an eye. Nature is everywhere in big, often scary, proportions. There aren't laws and regulations strangling you from every angle, and aside from housing it is cheap to live here with no sales tax. When we leave, I will surely miss the scenery, the "breathing room" that so much open space gives me. I also realize that Kalispell does have something most American towns do not. It is that sense of being more of an individual, of having more personal space and freedom to be who you are. I am sure over a decade or so, that would all seep into my bones, and perhaps balance out my need to for more human interaction and friendly banter. But our kids deserve a better educational and social environment than this, so we're off to find Mayberry 2.0.

Ian
Lynchburg, VA

Advice? - 1/31/2016

My wife and I are actually looking to move to Montana and Kalispell looks absolutely incredible. I am a law student at Liberty University (which is very conservative) and comments like this have placed Kalispell on our radar. My wife and I come from a small town in East Tennessee called Knoxville and quite frankly Kalispell sounds a lot like home with more room to breath. All this being said, it is a tough legal market and I am not sure if the market is already flooded there. If you could give me some insight that would be wonderful.

Karol

Kalispell Weather - 4/12/2015

I have lived here about 15 years I am single and moved here due to love of the outdoors. I live on the outskirts near Kila and am 40 miles from Glacier Park. Spend all summer RV'ing in the park and over the border in Canada and around Flathead Lake. I lived in Alaska 18 years and other places in the West and must say that the Kalispell area in NW Montana is one of the most beautiful of all places. The Flathead Lake is awesome being so clear and blue. If you ski, you have Whitefish resort only 15 miles N or Kalispell. The summer begins about end of May and goes through mid or late September. Fall is Sept of Oct through November. Winter months are usually Nov through February. Winters are not as harsh as some of our NE states. Windstorms and thunderstorms are infrequent here due to being protected by the mountains on all sides. Kalispell sits in the Upper Flathead Valley which is about 3000 ft elevation. There can be a few significant snowfalls each winter though. You would be wise to buy studded tires for your 4 wheel or front wheel drive since it gets icy a lot. The winter months can be very dreary. Very heavy overcast will last weeks at a time. There are few sunny days for the 4 winter months. Due to the elevation there is usually a 30-40 degree difference between day and night temps, which is nice when it is 90 degrees or so in the summer months. Shopping centers are being built steadily, housing growing and there will soon be a bypass at West Kalispell to the main shopping center. Very low crime and I feel safe everywhere. Lots of biking trails and cross country trails. People are really down to earth and caring for the most part. A very good wholesome climate to raise a family. Traffic is not bad and there are no freeways up here. I am retired so i don't know about jobs here. I would recommend Kalispell highly to outdoor enthusiasts, skiers, rv'ers hunters and fishers, cyclists and kayakers. Gorgeous place, except for the 4-5 months of long and dark winters. If you don't have seasonal affective disorder this is the place to be if you are an outdoors enthusiast.

Coremungus
Lisle, IL

Unibomber NOT a Montanan - 2/16/2014

Coremungus
Lisle, IL

Unibomber NOT from Montana - 2/16/2014

Actually politically correct individuals would be happier elsewhere. And the "Unibomber" was from Illinois and was only hiding out in Montana. He reflects nothing from Montana culture. Those politically correct individuals are not well equipped for the rugged mountain lifestyle of Kalispell. Kalispell is an incredible place to enjoy natural majesty of the outdoors. Schools are very good and housing is affordable. The difficult part of living there is the local economy. Most people living there are local low paying wage earners. If you have a decent job making good money, it can be the best possible place to raise a family. If not, it can be quite an economical challenge. Those looking to move here with entitlement mentality will not likely thrive socially or economically. Those like-minded self reliant individuals will find an amazing experience.

John
Grand Island, NE

Abhd's hate speech rant - 5/18/2013

This is basically a very good example of hate speech. Montana is still America and we are all still Americans no matter where we are from. I have friends and family in both Helena and Bigfork and they certainly do not share this idiots views.We have the Constitutional right to travel any where we care to, without papers like in other commie countries do and we should not have to worry about some backwoods crazy person like this fool telling us to stay away. I am also a conservative politically but I do not tolerate others talking down, even threatening my other fellow Americans by warning them to stay away from ANY part of this beautiful land we call America. I have lived in the Grand Island Nebraska for 30 years and have NEVER seen or heard anyone ever tell other American people to stay away. This is all of our country and we have the DUTY to share it with each other openly and peacefully. If we cannot get along with each other than how are we supposed to protect our country from an out of control government who seem hellbent on removing every right and freedom we have from us and replacing them with some Orwellian way of life. Please remove this idiots posting. It is irresponsible and asinine and it gives ALL of us a very bad name. Thanks Abhd, thanks for showing us the WORST that America has to offer. No wonder the Uni-bomber was from Montana. Please feel free NOT to add to humanity's gene pool !

Abhd

To funny - 4/27/2011

Your right, we dont like clubs, this is our state where we like things just the way they are. If you want diversity and that huggy happy crap keep your butt in LA. It makes me laugh when somebody complains about it being cold. Take a look around, you moved to the mountains for christ sakes. we do like our guns if that bothers you move to California or New York. PS take your electric car with you.

Bp
Kingston Springs, TN

Conservative, beautiful, and home - 1/19/2011

Kalispell has been a great community to move to. Frankly, I read some of the reviews here and smile. No, there is no clubbing. No, it's not diverse. Yes, it's conservative. And that's what in my eyes makes it perfect. It's been a wonderful place to raise a family. The people have been friendly, the hunting is awesome, the hiking, the fishing, snowshoeing.... I only hope this place doesn't continue to grow too excessively, to diversify. Frankly, I've come from that sort of place. Inevitably, the crime is astronomical, the people aren't nearly as friendly, the traffic is burdensome, everyone's looking for a handout, the schools are crap and drugs run rampant. You don't have any of that here. I'll take homogenously functional any day. As for competing for wages, I'm a physican, so frankly, there's a shortage of us, so it hasn't been bad in healthcare.

jordan
Missouri City, TX

diversity - 11/1/2010

hey i was wondering how the diversity in kalispell is because ive visited once and have planned on moving there ever since but i get the feeling i will run into some radical racists there.....just a kind of vibe idk y.....im 17 on an unrelated note =)

Great Town!! - 9/3/2009

I have lived there for 16 years. It really is a beautiful place, and it is not just a place for rich people. It is a normal town with all levels of wealth. You only need a good job and high paying wages if you want to live on expensive lake property. Most recreational activities are free to the public, and there is a great school system. All-around, a great place to live.

Kalispell - 9/3/2009

Dan

stay away - 7/11/2009

Kyle

A little bored - 2/2/2009

All in all kailspell is a great place. very beautiful with lots of outdoor activities. thr only thing i hate about it is the night life after nine especially on the weekdays it's like they board up the windows and all is dead i can see where some would like that but for me i want a little more adventure

April

Transportation - 12/20/2008

Although there isnt a lot of public transportation there isnt a lot of traffic making it easier to get places

Amanda

Beware of Kalispell. Move to Missoula instead. - 11/6/2008

I do not advise anyone to move here. If you are moving from another state you will be seen as an "outsider". My husband has been called racial slurs to his face at work by his co-workers and boss. He happens to be half caucasion and half hispanic. He quit the first job because the harassment got to be too much. There are not many opportunities for advancement employment wise here and there are also not many things for children to do. Check out city-data statistics before considering a move here. It is very pretty and there are many outdoors types of things to do here but that is about it. It is also very cold in the winter time. This is not a community for the faint of heart. I would suggest moving to Missoula instead.

Linda

Living in Kalispell - 10/13/2008

I've lived in Kalispell for 9 years now and I must say I don't like it. If I was not married I would move elsewhere where it is always warm. What is it like to live in Kalispell? Well, if you like to live a very simple life, then this is the place for you. Clubbing is virtually non-existent, cultural events are scarce. Housing is expensive, jobs are plentiful if you like to work retail and not to mention salaries are horrible. If you like the great outdoors, then this is the place for you for ALL seasons. Winters are long and dismal but mild. Summers are virtually nonexistent. They don't last much. Lets say you have money, want a vacation home, are retired and don't mind winters, like doing all types of outdoor activities, then this is the place for you. As for me, I can't wait to move. If you're thinking of moving here, come prepared.

Abhd

Blah - 8/13/2008

I've lived on the West Coast...I've lived on the East Coast...and a few places in between. And this has to be absolutely the worst place I've ever lived. The winters are long, not as harsh as one would think, but long none the less. It's a beautiful place to visit but living here is amazingly difficult. It's hard to find a place to rent under $1000.00 per month, which may seem like a bargain to some (depending on where your at now) but not so much so when the average job for the average Joe pays $8.50 per hour. There seems to be a lot of married people here, not much in the way of "single life activities" The town it self isn't prepared for any kind of growth. It takes about 20 minutes to get from one side of town to the other and that's like 5 miles if that. There is no public transportation. On a positive note I will say the crime rate is relatively low. Most of what I've noticed going through the court is DUI's and domestic disturbance kinds of things.

Brett

Vacation vs Living Here - 3/31/2008

Kalispell is a great place to vacation if you like outdoor recreation or beautiful scenery. But if you’re thinking of moving here be prepared: there are definitely not 151 sunny days – there are about 70 (trust me, I’ve been here for years - and check the chamber’s page too). Kiss the stars goodbye – it’s always cloudy. Expect to miss all wonderful astronomical events because of this. The Flathead Valley has only 6 weeks of true summer weather (shorts & tshirts) – beyond that you will be wearing jackets and pants at some point every day or you will be cold. Lakes and rivers don’t get real warm, even in the summer. Winters are mild, but it’s definitely a long, dark season with short daylight hours, and thick cloud cover – expect to have SAD most of the year. Job opportunities are limited, and often seasonal. People with college degrees can expect to do work that does not require a degree. The cost of living (especially housing) is expensive in comparison to average earnings. The average Joe needs a working spouse to afford an entry-level house. Property taxes are high. Communities are highly conservative-Christian. Social hot spots are non-existent. Shopping is limited, but improving due to area growth. There is a community college, but no university. If you like to read genres other than fiction, expect to use inter-library loan. Airline ticket prices are off the charts! On the upside, it is a safe and caring community, still fairly quiet, and definitely beautiful all year long. Great views, no tall buildings around. There is no sales tax and you don’t have to wait in line anywhere.

Erin

Can't wait to leave - 1/26/2008

Cliquish, clannish, SAD, conservative, good ole boys, maniacs w/ guns; easy to see why the Uni-bomber made Montana home.

Next >>GENERAL