St. George, Utah Comments

0 1
Thomas

i

back to St. George, Utah Add a New Comment Report Abuse

Login to reply to Comments. (Membership is Free)

More St. George, Utah Comments

Donald

The red rocks are amazing, however... - 11/28/2016

I love living in southern Utah. My family actually moved to St. George from Cedar City (which is also beautiful, but that's for another day) about 3 years ago. I'll admit there was some adjusting to the heat, but we couldn't be happier here. There is so much to do: hiking, swimming (sometimes both at the same place), fishing, theater, arts, golf, tennis, etc. There are drawbacks too. For one, the heat can get a little intense for some , but I always tell people that everywhere you go has air conditioning and there are hundreds of pools and splash pads throughout the city. Plus, spring begins 2 months early and warm weather lasts right into November. The other thing that is kind of a drawback is that if you are active at all, red dirt gets everywhere. But I notice it more than most because I'm a carpet cleaner (stgcleanestcarpets.com). Anyway, all in all, I would say St. George is a great place to live. Although maybe I should've told you how horrible it is so that you wouldn't want to move here. Kidding. Kidding.

sharon

Do your homework - 5/5/2016

I have lived all over the world including Canada and South America and quite a few places in the States so have lived in different cultures and feel I can be fair in my assessment of St George. I was attracted to Utah as a teenager because of the non drinking, non smoking etc lifestyle that I preferred and wanted a change from the heavy drinking etc culture of Great Britain and France where I was raised. My husband and I are loners so being accepted by the local Mormons is not important to us as we make a living outside the state and do some work in Southern Utah.My husband is an International sculptor with pieces in several countries in public places. In between commissions he does custom stone work on homes and buildings and charges a third to a quarter less than local tradesmen. He turns up when he says and gets the job done and does not gouge people and that is very different from the local tradesmen who have poor work ethic and if you are non mormon they will purposely leave you hanging and unsure if and when the work will be done if ever. Some local trades people that my husband contracted with were caught out and busted and were heavily fined. Dishonesty is also very normal and poor treatment of non mormon trades people is the norm. Retirees that move here might love it but they do not have to work or have their children in school and I will tell you that there is discrimination but not as bad as it used to be but it is still there. We all have a right to our religous views but it is decidedly unchristian to bully and shun those who are not of your faith and this is how you know that Mormonism is not based on Christianity. The old biblical saying of Thou shalt know them by their fruits. On the other hand there are coffee shops and funky pizzerias that were not here even ten years ago and I notice much more fashionably dressed women than there used to be which is a nice change from the drably dressed Mormons who I guess think it is a sin to wear color There are more deli type supermarkets that cater to food from other countries and that is a nice change.A lot more shopping than there used to be and some very nice restaurants have opened. Most jobs in Utah are low paying and there is resentment from locals towards outsiders that appear to be affluent. There are good things about Utah as in a lower crime rate and towns very clean but the Mormons are a strange lot and act very much like cult members which they are. If you decide to move here and are non mormon quickly affiliate yourself with a church or groups that interest you so you will not feel isolated. After the honeymoon is over and you fall to earth with the realization that even thought you maybe mormon from outside the state you are still an outsider and not one of the elite families. Many out of states Mormons have moved here expecting to be swept up and held to the bosom of the members but sadly that does not happen too often unless of course you are Mitt Romney and very wealthy.

Kathleen

Don't move to St. George, UT - 4/6/2015

We moved here 10 years ago and can't wait to move. The school system is one of the lowest in the country. If you're not Mormon, you will not fit in. I thought the house prices were OK, considering, low heat bills and very low property taxes. The people that are from somewhere else are the friendly ones. The locals do not know how to make eye contact. It's very hot in the summer, though I do like the very dry weather and winter is just a bit to cold. If you must move here, then I would rent for a year to see if you really like it.

Camille

Saint George a wonderful place to live - 3/15/2015

Saint George is comprised of many little neighborhoods. I have lived here for 40 years. The climate is beautiful but dry. We really only get two major seasons, summer starts in April and goes until November, Fall lasts from November until the week before Christmas. Cold winter is from Christmas through January. Spring starts February to April. the spring is beautiful but windy. The crime rate is low. There is one predominate religion. The cost of living is average. We have a 4 year university. The people are quite friendly. Because of the beautiful weather Saint George hosts many outdoor events all year long. Saint George is a wonderful place to raise a family. I am moving because my adult children found jobs in the east.

George
Dallas, TX

Return to the Dream of the 1950's- early 1960's - 11/27/2014

Utah police are trained in Saint George with the result of a plethora of police presence mostly on BIKES! They patrol the streets at night. It is safe to walk downtown historic district anytime of night or day. People are amazingly friendly and helpful. There is a good cross section of shopping. Women's fashions at Ace Hardware. AKA Hurst General Store, is shockingly good. AT the high end is Dilliards which has a better assortment of clothing than in stores around high density Salt Lake City. The red bluffs are all around. The horizon views are beautiful enough to cry over, even from the Walmart parking lot. The schools are safe and caring albeit with a SRONG Mormon bias. You will get stares if you wear a cross necklace, for example and the teachers keep Books of Mormon on their desks and teach students that coffee is "a drug." Apart from the the DRAMA departments of all the High Schools are outstanding. There is even one High School that is dedicated to it, Tuachan. There is wonderful outdoor theatre on summer evenings there. There are more than one venue for theater productions. The park in the center of the Historic Distict is very charming and suitable for young children. The brick reproduction 19th style Library is vast and has a superb Library for young children feature a Down's Syndrome woman who works there with the children. They have a reading hour for children to drop by, sit in a circle and listen. Only one draw-back. The weather in Summer is VERY HOT and sometimes also a bit humid. Temps get up to 120 F. Pharmacies are open on Sunday and there are a good selection of teas and coffee and a centrally located, easy access liquor store for non-member "snow birds" who arrive every winter. Brigham Young made his winter home in Saint George and at one time so did Robin Williams. It is a suitable location for everyone from rich to poor. And speaking of poor, there are a lot of very sweet Spanish immigrants, mostly Catholics who attend the Catholic Church, St.George Parish. Father Martin is also a Mexican who received his formation in Mexico and at Mount Angel Abby in Oregon. He is a most beloved Priest. Mormons often visit for the Cinco de Mayo and Midnight Mass.

bob

saint george - 10/31/2014

sucks if you are not lds especially if you are trying to find a job.

Justin

vdasaaed - 10/22/2014

glog

Drew

#sosick!! - 2/13/2014

St. George is soooo awesome! there is tons of stuff to do if you like outdoor stuff. there are tons of mountain biking trails and hiking trails all over the place. st george is so beautiful, the red rock is amazing. also there are TONS of off roading trails and places to go, its just as good as moab!!!!!!!!!!!!!:):)

Shaylynn

hot and dry

Susan
Fresno, CA

Bored in St. George - 8/3/2013

I lived in St. George for only 6 months. I am single and 52 years old, and was looking for a change from Fresno, CA -- less crime, friendlier people, and a new start. If you are not Mormon, you will not have much to do, and they pretty much stay to themselves. If you are Mormon, they will embrace you and you will have lots of companionship and activities. I found the Mormons there to be clickish and not welcoming. Finding people to socialize with was difficult, and the bars only offered drunks and I also witnessed a drug deal the one time I went to a bar looking for socialization. Also, there were only 4 people at the bar on a Friday night!! The scenery is beautiful, and I was there from January to June, and the weather was lovely then. Jobs were scarce. I was unable to find one. I wondered if they were pro-Mormon when hiring -- There are literally Mormon churches ALL OVER the place. I'm talking probably 20 wards in the city of St. George and suburbs. I might even be underestimating.

Gazlene

My opinionn - 2/18/2013

I have lived in the st george area ever since about fourth grade, so I guess ill just go through the pros and cons of living here. Pros: Nice climate. We have an average temperature of about 60 degrees here, and while it can get very hot in the summer (100-110 degrees F), it is otherwise very nice year round, with very little rain or snow Available housing. Despite economic concerns, we are still a growing area, and you can probably find a house somewhere Safe. There is only one bad neighborhood in All of the St George metropolitian area, and that is dixie downs. If you can avoid buying a house there though, the rest of the city is pretty nice. Recreation. We are only about an hour from zions and about two hours from lake powell and mead. There are probably more im forgetting there is so many outdoors oportunities here. Low Traffic (well, kind of). Traffic is getting worse here, but for now, we have it pretty good. It only really gets bad around Dixie State College, Middleton, and St George Boulevard. CONS Religion. This, actually, could be taken either way. You probably guessed this already, but Utah is extremely mormon. If you are mormon, this place will probably be heaven for you. Most mormons are ok, but a few of them can be EXTREMELY judgmental, especially here in utah. Climate. Once again, it can get extremely hot here in the summers. Nightlife. It isnt that good. There is an ampitheatre in Ivins where there are plays and concerts, but it is mainly geared towards the elderly. Shopping here is awful. We have a mall, but it only has one floor and lacks a lot of stores that a regular mall has (hot topic for example). Sadly, Its a two hour drive to vegas for a good nightlife here. Politics. VERY VERY REPUBLICAN. If you are a liberal here, like I am, you might as well have no vote here. Healthcare. If you have any kids with metal disorders or have one yourself, do yourself a favor and dont move here. As a sufferer of anxiety disorder and ADHD, I can safely say the psychiatry here is horrible. This is mainly because there are very few of them here and they are so busy. I have lived here for about ten years now, and none of my conditions are treated in the least. Traffic. Like I said, traffic is getting worse here. I actually see st george boulevard backed up sometimes, which never happened before. So, depending on who you are, and what you want out of a city, you will either love or hate st george. Personally, I would recomend it for a good place to raise a family, mormons who want to feel more at home, or for elderly people. Personally it isnt for me, but that dosent mean you will hate it either.

parker

desert - 2/13/2013

an hour and half from Las Vegas same climate

Austin

Saint George, Utah. The greatest place to live sin - 2/13/2013

It's very warm here and everyoneloves it.

austin

Climate - 2/13/2013

It's hott!!

Whitney

Climate - 2/13/2013

Like Vegas weather

Taylor

Livin' in the desert. - 2/13/2013

It's really hot and I hate it.

Taylor

religion - 2/11/2013

mainly mormon

jason

football - 8/21/2012

i would like to find a good city for a football team.

Dylan

Awesome Place! - 8/20/2012

It's an awesome place to be!

Next >>COSTLIV