Tampa, Florida Comments

"Update on Tampa Area - August 2010"

Update on Tampa Area - August 2010 - 8/23/2010
2 0
Susan

In the Tampa Bay area the housing market is one of the worst in the country. You do have the beaches, sports and nearby attractions. There is no income tax, but they dollar you to death. Example: Duplicate Title for your car last year was $25, this year $85. Be ready to shell out a boat load for new tags now-at lease $300 per vehicle.
Schools here are horrible. I wouldn't put my kid in a FL school if my life depended on it. Crime is totally out of control, with armed robberies on the increase. The only jobs available are low income service jobs or public sector such as schools, government. Traffic is a nightmare and the weather is very hot and humid for 9 months out of the year. (not to mention hurricanes). Oh, and if you purchase a home, your homeowners insurance will cost you $2-3K per year and your property taxes will cost $6K on a $300K home.

Tampa is a nice place to vacation - not to live!

back to Tampa, Florida Add a New Comment Report Abuse

Login to reply to Comments. (Membership is Free)

More Tampa, Florida Comments

Eric
Lewisville, TX

Need lots of Opinions and Feedback......Considerin - 11/6/2016

Hello Everyone!! I am 35 years old African American college educated professional single man that is considering a job transfer to Tampa. I have a few concerns and would like some honest respectful feedback. I have lived in Dallas for 5 years and it's just no longer my cup of tea. I have been to Tampa on vacation and liked the city but would like feedback on issues surrounding diversity, quality of life and possibly dating (women) in the Tampa area. Here are few questions you can answer for me and of course feel free to add anything else you feel would be of value. 1. Cost of Living? 2. Of course everywhere has it's dash of racism but in regards Tampa do most people get along or is there racial outburst among blacks, white, latinos and etc. 3. Would you call Tampa a singles town? 4. Low or High Crime Rate? 5. Weather and Air Quality? Good or Bad? 6. Lot's of bugs or not too many? 7. City Corruption among law enforcement and local government? None, Normal or Extreme? Thank you kindly looking forward to your feedback.

Robert

Affordable but very hot humid and rainy summer mon - 10/9/2016

I’ve been living in Tampa for 12 years and unlike, some posters on here, I have no hidden agenda. Tampa is a great place if you’re looking for affordability. Houses are cheap and taxes are low (no state tax and homestead exemption for full time Florida residents). Beaches in nearby Pinellas County are among the best. However, expect to drive an hour each way to get to the beach. Now the cons – Hot humid summer - summers are very hot and humid. In fact they’re miserable and it pours heaving rain every afternoon. Any outside activities need to take place early morning or early evening. And all that heat and humidity breeds lot of bugs. Don’t go to any of the parks without bug spray or you’ll be mauled by mosquitoes. Very low wages – companies much lower compared to other job markets Terrible system of roads and traffic – many accidents due to poor/confusing signage Too many bad neighborhoods throughout central Tampa – local ole boy government has done nothing to improve the situation Minimal walk-able areas – expect to do lots of driving. A lot of strip malls throughout. There are a few walk-able areas downtown that are nothing to brag about. Overall, I would say Tampa is a good place if you want cheap affordable housing to raise a family if you don’t mind the brutal summers, traffic and can find work that pays a decent salary.

Erik

Hate it here... - 9/17/2016

I've lived in South Florida for the past 10 years and while it was nice for many years, after My wife and I had a child we began to feel that maybe South Florida was not where we should be being that it's overcrowded, people are unfriendly, schools are bad and urban sprawl has caused many undesirables to start encroaching on neighborhoods that were once nice. (Coral Springs, for instance, was a great place until a couple years ago. Now it's packed with people, apartments are going up everywhere so it's only going to get worse, and crime has gone up considerably.) Instead of heading back to Pennsylvania, which is where we're from, we did a little research and found out that Tampa was a supposedly a good place for families, better cost of living, schools and really laid back. We decided to move. Boy were we wrong. It's honestly no different than South Florida and worse to some degree. Not as crowded, but the same rude people, the same horrid drivers, schools are poor. While there are good people here, (I've made some life long friends here), there is a ton and I mean a TON of trash living here too. I grew up in the military so I've been around and I can honestly say I have never disliked a place more than I dislike Tampa. We've got six months left in our lease and we're moving back to Pittsburgh. it can't come fast enough.

Erik

Pass onTampa... - 9/16/2016

I''m originally from Pennsylvania but I've lived in South Florida for 5+years. I also grew up in the military so transitioning has never been an issue for me. I moved to Tampa From Fort Lauderdale for a job I couldn't pass up and I can tell you that I have never wanted to leave somewhere so bad in my life. They say South Florida is its own entity, separate from The rest of Florida. Wrong! Florida crazy is Florida crazy no matter where you are down here. It's just like south Florida, except not as crowded and you live in a swamp as opposed to a growing urban jungle. Maybe once, I would have thought Tampa was a great place to be, but that time has definitely passed. If you're thinking Tampa might be for you and your family, DO YOUR RESEARCH! I've got 6 months left of my lease and I swear it can't come fast enough.

Jim

Quality of life gets worse every year in tampa - 5/26/2016

So you love to sit on roads during majority of day as though you are in a parking lot? Then this is the place for you. Regardless of how much construction has been done here, there are saturation points "everywhere" here. There is nice easy drive to the store or anywhere Elise. I lived here the last ten years and also between 85-88, and right now is the worse I ever remember. If you never have to get in a charm then perhaps not so bad. I never tailgate nor stop quickly yet have been hit five times all the other drivers fault, so has every friend I know. Drivers here get ruder every year, of all ages, all cultures, and sexes, people have just gotten nasty here. Trip from the Kennedy to carrollword less than 6 miles may take two hours, trip from Palm harbor to downtown Tampa now 2 hours to get parked, less then 20 miles to work, public transportation between counties is horrible, four hours to get to work for a short distance, ohm and buses stop on the main roads for there are no pull offs. I as here ten years ago for hurricane evacuations, forget it now, there is no way this tri-county area could Handle such an evacuation now. This place is a haphazard place of development, unplanned, and has become downright dangerous, going anywhere has no become no small task, if I were in the edge of the outskirts of Tampa, I could drive to another state faster than I can get across town. Very sad situation. Once again, population growth here just destroys another land mass here, go ahead Tampa government, incentivize business to come here for tax revenue to put in your coffers, while doing nothing that improves overall quality of life here.

Carter
Safety Harbor, FL

This city is amazing - 4/15/2016

I was born in and grew up in Fort Lauderdale and it was great, 1990s and all and the times were different, when teachers actually wore button up dresses and before cellphones, Internet, before all of that, the place was incredible, safe and family friendly I used to play outside every single day, bikes, scooters, playing with a tree you know before video games, Xbox, before all of that, when furbies were trendy remember that? I live there for nearly two decades and Ive lived all across the United States in nearly every major metro area in the US and I lived in Tampa for 3 years recently, moved back to south florida for a year and then moved back to Tampa. The quality of life is so much better in Tampa than South Florida, the people are still nice and still have manners, the drivers drive normal if you know what I mean and the place is just perfect. South Florida is only decent for people who have a lot of money or maybe if you're really, really attractive and really lucky you'll be a trophy wife or maybe you'll win the lottery but other than that the rest of the population is just barely getting by and it shows, they look miserable, it's written all across their faces and it was really noticeable after living in Tampa for 3 years. If youre not a trust fund kid from Palm Beach or a successful lawyer, doctor or golddigger youre probably working a minimum wage job at Target or stuck in a dead end job with a wife you dont even like and kids you regret barely scraping by with an average life and hating every moment of it but hey what can you do right? Thats how most people live in South Florida now, rat race, miserable and just getting by pretending to enjoy life but everyone looks miserable! Everyone I know from Fort Lauderdale who went to colleges in different areas of Florida and other states have not gone back to South Florida and have no plans of going back, some go back for a couple months and haul out of there as fast as they can because they notice after living somewhere else that South Florida is not livable anymore. There's no reason to live like that, with the rude people, crazy drivers and high crime rates, it's like a government experiment to see how they can drive you crazy down there, it wasn't always like that! But anyway this is a review for Tampa not south florida, the quality of life in Tampa is infinitely better in 2016 than South Florida, the people, oh my goodness the people are so nice and sweet and well mannered and respectful I feel like I'm living in a pretty perfect postcard like seriously I don't know why you'd love anywhere else in Florida, Orlando without Disney is um, well there's a reason Disney makes so much money, there's nothing in Orlando but Disney and UCF but Tampa is amazing it has everything you could want without feeling like you're in hell, actually quite the opposite it's beautiful, quaint, family friendly, safe you have USF and the military base, you have retirees and tourists from Canada, you have spring breakers but not the lunatics that go to Miami, actually nice, respectable and adorable people from up north. Sure there's only one Costco in clearwater and one in Brandon but I hear they're opening another one near west chase but don't quote me on it. I love it's so incredibly different and there's plenty of schools, restaurants, bars etc whatever you need and God did I mention how sweet the people are? I love Tampa and highly recommend the place to anyone looking for a medium sized metro area in Florida that is family first and yet has everything you need or want. Seriously I don't really want to leave!

zavion
Riverview, FL

Making a little better - 1/17/2016

Tampa is a wonderful city to live but i think they have potential to turn this medium sized city into a roaring metropolis . I think they should make the rest of the Tampa bay are look like Ybor City ,you know like more apartment buildings and u know just city life instead of the quite medium town city thing , if anyones ever been to Los Angles then you know when i say make it look more like a city i mean like you know small or medium sized building's in every part of the bay area . I think by making it look more like Ybor City it will attract more people to live or visit , ik i'm probably about to get criticized by everyone but just think about it , Thank you.

conrad
Philadelphia, PA

possible move from Philly to Tampa - 12/28/2015

I live in Philadelphia, Pa making about $25 an hour ($52000 annual income) supporting a family of 8 on that one income. Been offered a job in Tampa making just $15 an hour ($31200 annual income). I know it's a hell of a cut in income, but the wife REALLY wants to move to Florida. Would the cut be offset by the lower cost of living in Florida? Good move? Yay or Nay?

andy
New York, NY

Tampa Bay - 10/9/2015

We would like to go live in Tampa family 2 children. No comments about living in Tampa. Very sorry.

Jennifer
Hernando, MS

Tampa a good place for someone who can't drive? Sp - 9/7/2015

Hi, we are thinking of relocating to Tampa and we a special needs son that can't drive but can walk and bike. Would Tampa and surrounding areas be a good place?

Lynne

Summer in Tampa, FL - 7/23/2015

Summer in Florida is hot and humid. If you're lucky, it rains and then it's bearable. When it doesn't rain.....

Phillip

Tampa Bay Area - 6/12/2015

I was born in Los Angeles, Lived in La Jolla, (San Diego) for 10 years of my Career. Loved it! Moved to Columbus, Ohio for a Promotion for 3 years. Hated it. Seriously it rained for 17 straight weekends and I got the weekends off. Lived in New York City for 10 Years, Loved it for work but after getting married and having our first child could not get out of there soon enough once she turned 2 years old. Worked from home and could really move anywhere and a studied Florida and Settled on Tampa. The youngest demongraphic in all of Florida at the time I believed the avg. age of a married couple was 33 years old. While Miami was NYC South and the same ole well you know, and Up north Jacksonville was much cooler temps in the fall and winter and Orlando while nice had no Beaches. And growing up in Cali the Beaches where important to us. Was concerned about Hurricanes but my studies showed that Tampa was very difficult to Hit being on the West Coast of Florida, yes it is still possible but far less likely than the Eastern Sea Board, Miami and the Panhandle of Tallahase and west of that. Long Story Short. I like this place. Cost of living is low, because the Job Market is soft. You get a Lot of Home or Condo for you Money. We have the NHL, The NFL, and MLB and you can see life coming from a mile a way here... People are cool, Nightlife is Decent, Weekends are Outstanding and Resturants are Hit and Miss but there are Enough good ones once you know your way around. Great Concerts and the Gulf of Mexico Beaches are White Sand not Bround Sand like the East Coast of Florida, if you like Golf this is Paradise. If you like Night Life we have that too. If you just want a great place to chill and raise your kids this place is Awesome for Kids. Need I say more? Hope this helps.

RUBY
Columbus, OH

READY TO MOVE TO FLORIDA ! - 1/7/2015

MOVING TO TAMPA IN 2018. ANY SUGGESTIONS ON WHERE TO LIVE CLOSE TO TAMPA ? MY HUSBAND WILL BE WORKING IN TAMPA BUT, I WANT TO LIVE WITHIN 5-10 MILES OUTSIDE OR NEAR TAMPA.

Ari

Governor and Attorney General dont believe in gay - 12/18/2014

I just don't like that they're doing everything they can to prevent me from marrying my soulmate. They should allow the courts' rulings to stand instead of spending all of the taxpayers' money into tying the courts up with appeals.

Getting Around Tampa - 4/22/2014

I love the idea of a city feel that Tampa has to offer. Theatre, culture, etc. The only question I have is how large is the city? Is it medium or large? I have a horrible sense of direction and fear I'll always get lost. I would need a gps to get around if it's too big. Is it intimidatingly big?

How Large is Tampa? - 4/20/2014

Is Tampa considered a large or medium city? I was thinking of retiring there. An extremely large city where I would get lost intimidates me, although I have a gps. I was thinking of a moderately large city but not too large. Is it easy to get around without getting lost?

Quality of Life in Tampa - 3/12/2014

I'm planning on retiring in 8-9 years. Is Tampa a good place to retire? I want to live in a place that has a lot of theatre/arts, comedy clubs, etc. A lot of people say it's too hot. I love the warm weather and have a pretty good tolerence for it. Crime is also an important factor. I realize every city has a lot of crime, but just how high is it? Is the city very large? Easy to get around? Is the general area of housing nice or run down? Comments please!

Doug Hart, Tampa Recruiter

Tampa FL - 2/26/2014

A moderate cost of living area, 12% below the national average, with gorgeous weather most of the year.

Joseph Joffo

About Tampa and Tampa Bay Florida - 2/9/2014

Tampa and Tampa Bay are home to some of Florida’s most beautiful beaches, exciting theme parks and museums! Tampa International Airport is the 31st busiest airport in the United States and has flights coming in from all over the world. Tampa is a perfect destination, connecting you easily to beaches on the West coast of Florida Clearwater, St. Petersburg and Treasure Island are within a short one hour drive. You can easily drive to Orlando checking out the popular attractions like Walt Disney World, Universal Studios or Sea World. Renting a car is the most accommodating and logical way for sightseeing the action packed Central Florida tourist attraction. Using your rental car allows you to see some of the best kept secrets that the main stream tours do not offer. Such destinations like Anna Maria Island, Caledesi State Park, Fort de Soto State Park and the Gulf Coast are impossible to reach without a rent a car. You could travel south to the Everglades, Naples and Sanibel Islands to see some of nature’s best. You could also head north west from Tampa to Tarpon Springs, a Greek fishing village that’s known for its historic past as the sponge diving capitol. Maybe you’re more about thrills and adventures? Head east and visit the Richard Petty driving experience and see how it feels to be a NASCAR driver for a day. You could also visit Wonderworks, an upside down attraction for all ages. Orlando is also known for its many dinner show theaters to keep you entertained like Medieval Times, Pirates Dinner show or the Out of Control Magic Show. Families can find so many things to do and the options are practically unlimited. If you’re looking for a more romantic trip, head over to the East coast and see world famous Cocoa Beach or Daytona Beach, where you can shop at the Boardwalks, catch breath-taking sunsets and soak up the sun. If you want to travel a little further north on the East coast, the United States oldest city is St. Augustine. Here you can learn about the history of our country as well as take famous ghost tours in the Fort or stroll in a city tour. Back in Tampa, you can visit places like the Florida Aquarium, MOSI, Glazer Childrens Museum, Ybor City. Sports Fans can’t get enough of our town. There are numerous venues to catch a game at any time of the year. With The Tampa Bay Rays, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, NY Yankees winter training headquarters, Tampa Bay Lightning or the Rowdies there’s always a game going on is shopping more of your guilty pleasure? You will love it here! We have major shopping malls, boutiques and lots of outlets inTampa. The different shopping options offer wide ranges of prices and interests. Another thing you can’t get enough of in Tampa is food! There are so many unique and multi-cultural options ranging anywhere from Cuban to Peruvian or French to Greek Cuisines. Unlike some other popular vacation spots, Tampa Bay has affordable parking prices. You won’t have to worry about so many extra surprise expenses when traveling here. Renting a car from Econo Car Rentals is one of the best vacation decisions you can make, allowing you freedom to make your own schedule. Frequent travelers can benefit from our Loyalty Rewards program to help save even more money !

Debra

just moved to New Tampa from San Diego Ca - 1/11/2014

My husband is getting into the purchases of Tax Liens both liens and deeds and we were interested in different areasin Florida mainly mid to Northern Florida

Next >>ECONOMY