Atlanta, Georgia Comments

"Best School Districts in the Atlanta Suburbs?"

Best School Districts in the Atlanta Suburbs? - 3/22/2010
86 22
Julie

My husband just found out that he got a job in Smyrna, GA (just north of Atlanta), and I wanted to start looking online at houses. Can anyone tell me the best school districts to look at? Are the public elementary schools good, or should we be looking at private schools?

Thank you!

back to Atlanta, Georgia Add a New Comment Report Abuse

Login to reply to Comments. (Membership is Free)

JAZMIN

re: Best School Districts in the Atlanta Suburbs? - 8/11/2010
i need someone to give me the scoop on atlanta, ga..my husband and i and our 2 babies plan to move down there from Jersey...is it a good place to move to? are the rumors true about relationships, married couples, the man to woman ratio being 5 women to 1 man, economic opportunities, schools, best place to find a home...so on and so forth....thank you!

More Atlanta, Georgia Comments

Tyler
Ellijay, GA

Never Again - 10/1/2016

Reading some of the negative reviews here about Atlanta is refreshing, but it needs much more. I have lived in Atlanta almost all of my life save for my years of infancy and a few years I spent away for college. I developed an emotional attachment to ATL because, well, it's not exactly the worst place to be for several reasons. It's very green, and it gets a lot of rain. Summers are hot and humid, and the winters are cold to mild. The cost of living is a tad bit lower than in other major cities like San Fransicko, although it's still pricey. There is a lot of diversity and a lot of people from just about anywhere. Farmers markets, Trader Joe's, Whole Foods and others are very convenient for organic shopping. It has sprawling suburbs to live in if you still want to be close to the city. There is no shortage of things to do. Just about everything is there. However, this isn't about the climate or activities to engage in. This is about the culture, and this isn't limited to just Atlanta. People. I have seen others review Atlanta and raving about how nice and courteous everyone is along with that good ol' "southern hospitality". That's not true at all. People in Atlanta (and in most of AmeriKKa) are very socially inept (practically incapable), flaky, lazy, ignorant, stupid... you name it! They're all in to the typical sports culture and television and can't converse about much else, and if they do, it doesn't last long. That goes for just about anywhere you go, though. There are oodles of rednecks. Throughout my years as a young adult male living in and around Midtown, I cannot describe to you how city atmosphere in AmeriKKa strangles your social life. Just total wimps the people are, and that goes for everybody. Try saying hello to your neighbor and listen to their squeaky little responses. Almost everyone in the stores are little drones, and I understand their tumultuous demeanor when they are working for $9/hr., but judging upon the quality of character that ATL locals have to offer, they can stay there because they are not worthy of anything else. You will find that people love their pets and their cell phones and material items far more than their neighbors as human interaction is devalued in city life. The women?? Oh, now we've got trouble. Atlanta women are very outwardly unattractive (especially the white women) because of their inward shortcomings. While I was still living there, I couldn't even SEE an attractive woman let alone find one with a reasonable attitude and who leaves her phone in her purse. If you are a heterosexual man who is seeking love with a truly attractive woman, do NOT go to Atlanta!! You will end up hating them and blogging and making videos about them or even telling them off in person as I have (women-suck.blogspot.com). I think a lot of men are experiencing that more as well across the modernized world as the quality of people drops like a stone in water (especially when it comes to women). There are other reasons contributing to the rise in homosexuality like chemicals in can liners and plastic bottles (BPA), fluoride in the tap water, women acting like mental patients, the media's influence, but I'm surprised no one on this site has mentioned how flaming gay Atlanta is. Don't go driving in town during the middle of October because all of midtown practically shuts down for the pilgrimage of the fags for the annual pride parade (them walking naked in the streets and claiming how oppressed they are). Gay culture in Atlanta is pervasive, and it tends to pressure people to accepting their lifestyle as normal. I don't have to approve. What's even stranger about this city is that I have had more success with women in some of Atlanta's gay bars than almost anywhere else. I don't attribute this to mean that the gay community is so much more "open and accepting". I have my own theories, but if I have to go to homosexual hang-outs to meet an attractive black woman who isn't on a power trip, something is wrong. Freedom. Political ignorance abounds in ATL, and business owners do everything to comply with the criminal mandates of government. Atlanta is not like Texas or New York where people get angry when their politicians throw away public funds on useless junk or impose new mandates. ATL has no heart and rolls over more than a lot of other cities. If people in AmeriKKa (and ATL) would read a book and turn off the celebrity gossip for just a New York second, that knowledge will become power, and power becomes freedom, and freedom becomes wealth and prosperity (and a way out of working dead-end grocery cashier and restaurant server jobs). The economy of jobs in Atlanta is terrible just like other people are mentioning. There is demand for a lot of IT and techie jobs in ATL, which is good; however, for everybody else, you'll be bringing your college diplomas with you to apply to bag groceries at Kroger and printing your motor vehicle record to bring in an attempt to be a server at a run-down Taco Mac. There are too many people hurting and trying to find jobs, so many recruiters and hiring managers will hardly give you the time of day. Just like any major city, you will find lots of homeless in the "land of the free", and people that have enough funds to feed themselves and go out for a Friday night will not give a dime to those in need. So many people are receiving welfare, and they don't really care to try to do anything to pull themselves from government dependency. All in all, Atlanta will make you hate your life, especially if you are a straight man. If you're successful enough in business to provide for yourself in ATL, there is still a wealth of other things in life like activist groups, romance, family life, etc. that Atlanta (again, like most other cities) just can't offer. I got to a point where I just let my apartment rent lapse. I filed some motions with the court to prevent the eviction action, but when it came time to leave, I will never look back or go back to Atlanta because I hate it so much. I had pretty much everything out of my little city apartment (that had very little space for high costs), but still, you see the resident police officer trying to bully you and toss whatever they can find out on to the streets because people in Atlanta have very bad hearts and tons of personal issues, and that's why they are so mean-spirited. You can't bully me, though, as I have given you a piece of my mind the entire time I hated my life as I drowned along with you in that damn place. Now, I'm not in the city, and while it may not have some of the perks of being in the city and the conveniences it offers, people around here greet each other and treat each other with respect. Seriously, Atlanta and AmeriKKa can sink to the bottom of the ocean, and I know the worst is yet to come because not only is the government illegitimate, but the people in these places do not understand what it takes to be fully independent adults. I have tons more to add, but this is enough.

Matthew
Gainesville, FL

worst city for income and health care - 7/25/2016

moved to Atlanta when I was 14, left when I was 25 and don't want to ever back. It's impossible to live within 30 minutes of work if you're a member of the working class. People in San Francisco laugh at people in Atlanta who complain about the cost of living, but what they don't realize is that middle class incomes in San Francisco are about four times what they are in Atlanta. Minimum wage in Atlanta is the same as the federal, even though Atlanta is the most expensive city in the Deep South except Miami, even more expensive than Tampa. You have to live in the suburbs in order to buy a gallon of milk for less than $4. Also, the healthcare system is so crooked. People who can do yard work with no difficulty can get disability but thousands of residents with a real disability are told they don't qualify, probably because the state doesn't have enough revenue to give them disability because too much of their revenue is given to too many people who don't really need disability. And if you have a teenager who you think might have Asperger's but hasn't been diagnosed yet, stay as far away from Atlanta as possible. Only one autism center evaluates anyone over 14, and even that one has an age limit of 21. And outside autism centers, only private professionals evaluate people of all ages, and none of them accept insurance and they all charge at least $500 up front. If you have a disability, anywhere in the South outside east Florida is stuck in the 14th century

Shalonda
Fairburn, GA

Home for sale - 6/9/2016

I live in Fairburn GA. It is in South Atlanta in a lake community, directly across from the lake. My home is currently for sale, 7955 Stillmist Dr. Fairburn GA. Please view.

Shalonda
Fairburn, GA

Home for sale - 6/9/2016

Tease
New York, NY

Moving to Atlanta - 3/2/2016

From NYC moving to Atlanta. Where to live (have my senior disabled mom with me)? I hear that Northeast, GA (Lawrenceville, Snellville etc.) is nice and mostly safe (There is no place on this earth that is completely safe and/or without DRAMA- This is not Heaven). So, thriving school and church areas etc., would be suffice. We are very Street Smart so Atlanta would not scare us. There has to be some decent areas in Atlanta. I wonder if Atlanta gets a bad rap due to the majority of the population being African Americans ( As Harlem and certain areas in Brooklyn NY).

Darlene
Austell, GA

Atlanta is not a good place to live - 3/1/2016

I moved to this Atlanta thinking that they have many opportunities in the workforce. It is not true, I work in the medical field and cannot get a job here. I been living here too long, and ready to move from Ga. The people here have mistreated, lied, and broke into my home about 5 years ago. These people are very rude, backstabbing, and jealous. You cannot make friends with anyone because you will be afraid of what they may do behind your back. I have had a tenant that live next door to me, and I allowed her to come inside my home. She got very jealous of me, when she seen my furniture she begin to copy it. She put the same furniture in her house. And I went on Link IN these same woman copied some jobs from what I have on my profile. I do not trust these people in what they do they are serious backstabbers. I will be moving this year, cannot take this CRAP anymore!!

Preston
Stockbridge, GA

Jacksonville or Tampa??? - 2/22/2016

Ready to leave Atlanta, GA where I was born and raised because of overpopulation and the traffic that comes with it. Lived in New Smyrna Beach, FL for a short while years ago and loved it but the job market is poor for what I do (CNC machinist). Lots of jobs in Tampa and Jacksonville but I've never spent time in either so some advice on which place is better would be greatly appreciated. Keep in mind that the quality of the beach is very important!

Shar
Lawrenceville, GA

I wish someone would have been able to warn me!! : - 2/20/2016

We didnt have a choice. NCR relocated world HQ to Atlanta after 120 years in Dayton. After a year looking in Ohio, we packed up my youngest daughter, left my oldest daughter, & son n law, my husbands 2 kids, ailing mother, hubbys father...entire family. My husband was with NCR for 27 years. April they kicked him to the curb. Said they didnt have a position for him any longer...27 years GONE. I have been in Medical Management for 25 years. I have already been through several offices here. People here are the flakiest people I have ever met. Just when you think you have seen it all. Weirdest thing is, most of them didnt originate here....has to be something in the water...probably extra floride. I have never been unemployed in my adult life, nor has my husband. Now BOTH of us have been looking for work for almost A YEAR!!! The numbers are padded, unemployment is off the chart, auto insurance cost more than twice what I paid in Ohio because people here drive like lunatics. Now both of us are out of work and cant even get a loan to move since we are both out of work. People here assume everyone else is a criminal, no trust, no love, no compassion. It totally feels like I have been dropped on another planet!!! I will say the lakes are beautiful here and we love the look of the suburbs, but I have never experiences such a cold place!!!!! I am however grateful to have 2 great neighbors. I guess I got lucky. People typically dont go outside, nor do they talk to each other. In the Midwest, all of us knew our neighbors and helped each other. I have seen others comments that match my own.. They are telling the truth. I didnt realize why most High School kids take the bus until we saw what it costs for insurance...its CRAZY because of the wild drivers. Maybe southern hospitality exists in Savannah but not in mecca Atlanta!!!!!!!! If you are looking for contentment, ATL is not where to find it! NO BALANCE AND if you are taking a job at NCR have a back up plan!

Malka

Do Not Consider Relocating to Atlanta Georgia or S - 1/27/2016

My spouse's job relocated our family to the Atlanta Georgia area. I thought it was going to be a great move for our family. Prior to moving to Atlanta I heard that it was hard to find a job in Atlanta. I had hopes for Atlanta and thought that maybe it would be different for me. Turns out everyone who told me not to move here was right. The unemployment rate is ridiculous high, it is very hard to get a job here, and the schools are not diverse in affordable areas. Atlanta is very segregated; rich from the poor and black to white. Atlanta is a nice place to live in you are well off or have a decent paying job to live. If you are low income I repeat DO NOT MOVE TO ATLANTA!!! My spouse and I are middle class with just my spouse's income alone. I'm not happy being a stay at home spouse.

Lawanda
Lithonia, GA

What the hellll - 9/26/2015

Someone told me not to move to Atlanta, but did I listen, he'll no. I've lived in alot of places but I have never lived in a place where people are killed EVERY DAY and robbery is ridiculous, they don't just rob but they have to shoot you and most killings are by these ugly scary looking varmints under the age of 25. And what the hell happened to the dam sidewalks, there's no SIDEWALKS here, pedestrians have no rights here, you and your family can't even take a walk nowhere , no sidewalks. People are getting ran over by cars all the time and the mayor don't do shit, he doesn't care. Someone is always scamming someone. I have never been a victim of fraud until I've moved here. I've been ripped off by a car lots, I'm in line filing taxes and 2 people in front of me are victims of someone filing taxes using their ss#, I'm feeling sorry for them on to find out when it was my turn I was also a victim, I flipped out. DMVS not turning in drivers license plates so I get a letter in the mail saying I been in an accident, good thing I had proof I didn't have the car anymore or I would of been going to court for an accident I am not even involved in. A whole school system going to prison for school fraud, meter people putting tickets on cars for no reason to meet a quota at work, water dept people going to restaurants and trying to get free steak meals by threatening to shut off water or something... and theres so much more, thIs craziness were all on the news. Dammit I will be out of here soon and never looking back.

Jeannette
Philadelphia, PA

Moving to Atlanta - 8/25/2015

I want to move to Atlanta from Philadelphia, PA. My husband and 5 year-old will be moving as well. I'm a Librarian and my husband is a truck driver. We're African-American and are looking for a single family home no more than 200k. Any recommendations on a nice neighborhood with a good public elementary school.

Natasha

Get a lot of house for a little a month!!! - 5/19/2015

Here in Atlanta, Ga. you can get a whole lot of house for little to nothing in comparison to most other major cities!

Evan
Canton, GA

Don't ever move here!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - 3/31/2015

I moved to Georgia two years ago for a position within an engineering company. I grew up in California, have lived in Las Vegas, and Portland, Or. Whatever you do don't move to Atlanta, in fact don't move to Georgia in general. 1. Traffic. I thought California was bad, but atlanta has some of the worst traffic I've ever experienced. The drivers in Atlanta are also the worst I've shared the road with. People act like they own the road, I'm not even sure they realize there are other cars on it! 2. Crime. The crime is horrible here, even if you live in the "safe" areas, you're not safe because when someone that wants to rob you knows the wealthy areas to go and get you. Happens everyday. 3. If you live too far away from Atlanta, you enter redneck territory. I had to do some work in Jasper, Ga which is 30 to 45 minutes north of ATL. I heard two men talking about our president saying, "if that n-word walked in her right now I'd kill em!". Dealing with people in Jasper was like experiencing a Jerry Springer episode first hand. 4. People here are the rudest people probably on earth. Southern hospitality is a damn lie!!! Do yourself a favor move any where else. Ps. The good schools are a joke compared to public schools in other states.

Nichelle

Atlanta is not the black mecca you think it is - 3/7/2015

I moved to Atlanta after being convinced by family and friends that it would be a great plus for my career since black professionals are doing so "well." What I found is that this is a slave state and most companies are run off contractors or what they call consultants. They do this in order to pay mediocre salaries and not pay full benefits. There are very few jobs so you can be a professional with a graduate degree and years of experience, but have to settle for almost minimum wage to survive. I have gone into interviews and been given a questionable glance or even in some cases asked, So "you" are the candidate? As if they didn't expect me to be black. I think mainly because of the well-known companies that I have had the privilege to work for and my training. It is surprisingly segregated here. There is even a noticeable difference in neighborhoods. In almost every area I traveled (and city data I researched), the gated and plush communities are usually less than 15 percent minorities and the run down areas where buildings are abandoned are usually inhabited by over 80 percent minorities. This was not the case in the large city from where I relocated. In my old area, it was common to see upscale areas that were diverse. In Atlanta, you can literally drive across the street from the upscale area and see a failing area. It's as if a line was drawn and the minorities were told not to cross it. I know racism exists everywhere, even in my previous city, but I was surprised at the racism I saw in the workplaces in ATL, which of course is where minorities are usually contractors (not full-time) and everyone else is a Director, Manager, etc. I want to leave here so badly that I almost feel like moving back to my other city without a job and take my chances on finding one when I get there.

Josh

Excellent Bang for Buck - 12/20/2014

In Atlanta, you get a lot for your money. It's not the best city in a lot of categories but it's better than most other big cities in many ways. Quality of Life and Cost of Living intersect in Atlanta. You can spend more and live somewhere else that's better but if you want to get the most bang for your buck, Atlanta is your place.

Rochelle
Morrow, GA

DO NOT MOVE TO ATLANTA!!!! - 12/4/2014

The worst place I have ever lived. There are NO jobs, too many people living in this one little area, people are ruder here than in NYC, rents are no longer cheap, people are not friendly, what else? I moved here because everyone kept calling Atlanta a mecca. Uh, no. Three years of my life wasted that I cannot get back. I am out of here the beginning of the new year and I wouldn't come back if you paid me. More hype than anything I assure you. So if you want to move where people aren't too bright or welcoming, the job market sucks, men have a bigger high heel collection than you do, this is your place! Me? back home here I come!. Hope this helps SOMEBODY from making the biggest mistake of their life. I warned you. :)

Eric
Dahlonega, GA

Overrated - 10/9/2014

I've seen Atlanta described as pretentious, snobby, backstabbing, wannabes, generic, ghetto, and other less than flattering terms, and unfortunately they are all pretty much true. This city pretends that it is the same league with NYC, LA, and Chicago, but the only people who truly feel that way are those who've never been outside of Atlanta. Atlanta is Birmingham on steroids. Atlanta is a big fish in a small pond, and is completely delusional. Atlanta might be the NYC of the Deep South, but really, how big a deal is that? Craphole of a city.

Sheila
Alpharetta, GA

RE: Do not move here if you don't do well in high - 8/22/2014

Atlanta is very green, but we do have orange, clay soil (used to make bricks). I am anxious to leave here as soon as possible. The summers are long, hot and humid. I long to open my windows and feel some fresh air, but that's not possible in the summer. The spring is much too short and, even though it may be pretty due to flowering shrubs, I still cannot open my windows because of all the pollen. In addition, I have allergies. The fall can be pretty, but, again, way too short. Cold weather comes too quickly. And, winters, though usually fairly mild, can be cold and still very humid. We do sometimes have ice storms. Because it is so hilly here, everything shuts down and grocery stores find their shelves have been cleared! You'll find most trees and shrubs have their roots growing close and even above ground level due to the heavy, clay soil. I need to get out of here! I've been here since January of 1992. There's a reason it's called "Hotlanta"! Even when it's 70 degrees in the morning, I'll find myself dripping wet when I'm outside because of this awful humidity. If spring, summer and winter weather is important to you, do not move to the Atlanta area. Midwesterners do not do well here at all.

will

no smart growth - 8/12/2014

I have lived in the area for a generation and it has grown by a factor of 10...yeah from 350K to 3.5million. A good ole boy mentality without a clue of how to grow a city that is not centered around SUV's clogging the streets and expressways.

Randy
Chicago, IL

Laughable.... - 8/9/2014

I can't help but to shake my head with hysteria. I've patrolled every major city forum on this website. I've been visiting for years but decided to post my first comment. If you visit any forum about any city.......you're going to read more negative reviews than positive. It's in peoples nature to think negatively. It's easier. The "bad" reviews about Atlanta are way over the top. People seem to be looking for a utopia. It doesn't exist. Stop looking. Try to do the best you can with where you are.

Next >>EDUCATION