Review of Tampa, Florida

I should have done my homework...
Star Rating - 8/25/2018
Where to start. I haven't noticed a groundswell of anti-outsider sentiment because everyone is from somewhere else. Anecdotally (based on license plates I've seen) it does seem like the bulk of transplants are climate refugees fleeing from the frigid NE and Ohio. The irony of climate refugees fleeing to coastal Florida is not lost on me.

I mention the number of transplants you'll find here because how you feel about Tampa (and Florida in general) depends on where you're moving from. I suppose if you shoveled snow in 28-degree weather for 4-5 months of each year, then Tampa may look like Valhalla. I relocated from a beautiful and temperate part of the country to Tampa for work. Generally, I find Tampa charmless and in many ways, I feel like I stepped back into 1986. Here's why:

1. Florida has some of the most aggressive drivers I have ever encountered. Weaving in an out of traffic at 30 mph over the speed limit, each time within 18 inches of your bumper. No signaling. Refusal to let you merge. Odd traffic control (making left-hand turns across 3 lanes of oncoming traffic zooming toward you at 50mph). Florida has some of the worst pedestrian safety in the country. It also has more uninsured drivers than any other state, a big problem with wrong-way drivers, and some of the highest car insurance premiums in the country (mine went up 40%). I wouldn't think about riding a bike here or even walking in parts of Tampa. I spent my first 3 months in near tears whenever I had to get in the car, which is important because...

2. You will have to drive everywhere. Tampa and surrounding areas do not have much in the way of mass transit. You will be in your car all the time, and much of what is interesting (parts of downtown, the beaches, St. Pete) is a 45-minute drive away. I had a friend visit me from my hometown and every time we wanted to go somewhere, we'd punch it into Waze and it was always 45-60 minutes away in what I have already mentioned are stressful driving conditions even under the best circumstances.

3. What isn't from1986 is the cost of renting. Buying is cheaper than renting and housing prices are a bargain here compared to many parts of the country. I didn't want to buy until I was sure I wanted to stay long term. Renting is not inexpensive and Florida has few tenant protections that you may enjoy in other more progressive states. A decent and safe 1 bedroom apartment in one of the many huge apartment complexes that dot this area will cost you at minimum $1,200 a month, plus nonrefundable pet deposits of $300-$400 each and pet rent (despite paying aforementioned deposits) of $20-$40 per month. I should have done my research a bit more carefully since this is easily obtainable info. As it turns out, I moved from a higher cost geography and took a large pay cut, but because of my relatively low fixed costs in my hometown, my monthly living expenses have actually edged up. Again, this depends on what you're used to. Do your research because the pay here isn't all that great.

4. Tampa is not a progressive city. There is a general lack of environmental awareness that befuddles me considering it's a state surrounded by water. For example, my garbage collector offers bi-weekly curbside recycling, but I had to provide my own containers and very, very few of my neighbors participate in this. I am from a part of the country where reduce/reuse is a way of life. I'm treated like an exotic creature for bringing my own bags to the grocery store. Piggybacking on this lack of environmental awareness is the general weirdness that is Florida. When I jokingly asked my cable installer if he had any advice for a new FL resident and he responded by telling me to buy a gun.

5. Tampa suburbs. Suburbs anywhere tend to be uninteresting places, but in Tampa, factor this by x10. I live in a suburb that doesn't have a downtown but is a confluence of highways lined with chain restaurants, outlet malls, and gated communities. You can get concerts in Tampa and Orlando, but other smaller cultural happenings are hard to find (smaller artists, bookstore readings, independent movies, small coffee shops, etc.)

6. Florida is a transient place. I've met a lot of people who moved here because they had great memories of summer vacations in Florida when they were growing up. I get it - nostalgia is powerful. Some move here and love it. A lot don't. Living in Florida is a little like living in Las Vegas - lots of people cycling in and out. That has an impact on how invested people feel in their local community.

7. The weather. Yeah, it's hotter than Hades from April through September. Surprisingly, this didn't bother me all that much. I have AC at home and at work and am generally not an outdoorsy person. If you want to be outside at 5 pm in August then you are in for a big surprise. I posted a photo of a summer downpour on my Facebook feed and one of my hometown friends mentioned how "refreshing" that would be. Uhh, no. There is nothing refreshing about warm rain when it's 95 degrees outside. Side note - FL landlords are not required to provide AC to tenants. Heat, yes. AC, no. Most do because they want to get their place rented. There are people that live here without AC but I don't know how they do it.

My advice is likely relevant for people who value the same things that I do. Really examine those values before you move to a new city and consider how you live your life on a daily basis. Sure, the beaches are beautiful, but will you go every weekend or even monthly (the answer is probably not). What is your commute going to be like? Can you easily live your values here, whatever those may be (ie leaving a small environmental footprint, being able to support small businesses, etc.)

Allizon | Land O Lakes, FL

6 Replies

Why did you write your long, nonsensical, subjective and factually wrong review for Tanpa when you live in a poor outlying community over an hour away? I get it, you people move here are immediately agree to learn things aren't exactly what you're used to. Go home, problem solved.
Christopher | Brandon, FL

Traffic and congestion are indeed terrible and getting worse since there is basically no mass transit. Weather is great (in winter) and there is always something to do. Tampa is an event and party town. A lot of transients, of course, and there are loads of bad and aggressive drivers. Being Florida, you know lots of weird stuff is gonna happen here. But I have lived here for 40 years and if I didn't like it here I would have moved by now.
Ed | Brandon, FL

Obviously you have not been to Vegas! Vegas is like #1 when it comes to transiency! We have soooooo many people moving in from California because of cheaper homes and rental property. But since they have moved here, the average rent for a two bedroom is about 1400.00 now. So many illegals and foreigners here, that its hard to find an American! Most jobs in casinos are held by foreigners (mostly Chinese, Filipinos, and African Countries), 90% or more of our hospital staff is Asian, as well as shipping in boatloads of teachers from the Philippines! The weather gets hot, but it's not humid. I enjoy the hot weather so Florida does not bother me. The crime in Vegas is getting worse. With the number of people moving here daily from other countries crime has gotten out of control. Police do not in force many traffic infractions and actually, you do not see a lot of cops around, except during special events, concerts... mega OVERTIME for them! We have so many gangs moving in, its unbelievable. Many people do not realize the homeless population taking over our neighborhoods either. I live on the Summerlin (supposedly, high class town:(:(:() and the homeless have taken over our area. My home is worth over 300,000 and basically in my backyard, there are tents set up and of course, no cops around to enforce anything. When we moved here there were a few lanes of traffic, now we have 5 lane highways (similar to CA.) and a lot of these people DO NOT KNOW HOW TO DRIVE. We have daily accidents, flip overs, motorcyclists killed, hit and run none stop!! My insurance went up and when I asked why, I was told because of all the uninsured people driving in Vegas. Vegas is also not very diversified. In fact, its very racist and people stay to themselves and very seldom go outside of there home. Very hard to get to know your neighbors! So after reading your stuff and me analyzing Vegas, I think Ill be moving to Tampa, your dads can't touch the bass here in Vegas.
eva | Spring Valley, NV

Mohamed |

**contact people live in Tampa Florida. I would like MEET NEW PEOPLE IN TAMPA, FL very soon I will move to live in Tampa Fl. In fact really I love meeting new people where I live inside Tampa Florida. I am EgyptianAmerican* live in USA. * I need good American person as good kind friend will live with me and work with me so will be my life partner and my business partner too. About my new Business in USA. (1)-I want open new shop for sell Egyptian & touristic products, EGYPTIAN SOUVENIRS shop + (2)-pharaonic Egyptian Restaurant. + (3)- Establish a cultural social club. , I am the owner of an idea and founder and general manager of a social cultural club in the United States of America. For help and support and service the American community &USA and for better life .Do you like live aand work with me in Ttampa,, Fflorida now okk please contaacctt me and tell me aabout you with your photo, I hope wwe become very good friends and also my business partner.. *-*-*-*-*-*-*-* *{{ World cultural social club soon in USA.}}* ~=================================~ *(Good News:: NEW NEW ~ 5 excellent projects in the United States-you can work and collaborate and participate together for American society & USA~)*Successful local and international projects..For the love of United States.For the love of USA.:: =TOGETHER WE WILL MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN= we all love USA., and we all work together as good group= great team for Service and help the American community US society for a better life filled with love, peace and happiness.+/-Now you can join a group United States fans Lovers of the United States, You can work and participate in the World Social and Cultural Club. *-We accept new members of the good American people of all ages famale and male. *-now we all will work together for make America great again.Let every nation know what America is and what the great American community is? -Together, We will make America strong again. We will make wealthy again. We will make America proud again. We will make America safe again. And yes, together, we will make America great again.-Together we can make new USA No.1 in world. Come join the cultural social club members, and get a job or a work you love, with our club you will to do what you love. We accept all American citizens, US citizens, Local Americans and residents of the United States of America, and also Immigrants residing in the United States of America, especially immigrants from Europe, Japan, India, Mexico, Sultanate of Oman and from all over the world in all states *(from the 50 states in USA), Of all ages from 15 years to 95 years. Everyone will find what he wants and wishes with us to make your dream come true. "there is something for everyone". = NOW we looking for to find a good business partner in USA. for cooperation and participation together, all my projects ready for immediate implementation in just case I have everything I do not need anything except creating a loyal business partner and collaborator to work together and share and Preferably whohas a suitable place fit to create and open to create social club and open shop or store, or restaurant, or a cultural social club, Such as a house or office or shop or a large house, or office in the United States,It is located in a large city in any state of the United States. Also I need with me and beside me in my new business some good people to work with me such as Club members and founders Club and Members of the Board of Directors, Secretary, the staff, Employees and workers of all disciplines, all fields and different work areas, The team of workers with all kinds of crafts, trades and different professions, A team of workers in all trades and professions and business of various miscellaneous, Like: home Nurse, nanny, babysitter, Housekeeping, Housewife, housekeeper, Lady maid, female servant, cookery home cook, Hairdresser, Specialists in care of beauty and health of body, body care and makeup, customer service, Dealers, Saleswomen, Car owners and car drivers, Also Working team from all categories of American society such as intellectuals, elite, the elite in society, elite in government, the power elite, Government officials, wealthy in the US, university professor, School teachers, Human development specialists, experts, Trainers and consultants and those with experience in computer, internet, languages, translation, engineers, doctors, nursing, social work, public relations, Publicity, advertising, Media, television and press, Printing and Printmaking, marketing, , exhibitions, tourism, travel, , Merchants, Traders, Owners of shops and stores, Serious respectful investors, Businesswomen and businessmen, Artists and celebrities, artists and celebrities of American society, Famous Americans IN USA and other categories of society from all fields and disciplines. +We hopes to bring community together with love. *(All for one and one for all)**(You only win when you help others win )*("Help others achieve their dreams, aims and you will achieve yours.")* Even if you're old age senior patient single alone without Companion -Like divorced or widowed-can also participate or volunteer. in a place like a house or an Office or shop or any place of work, or Volunteering for anything available that you can volunteer for charity, In order to establish and implement projects, in USA, Even if you live alone in a big house and need for facilities and want good accompaniment and you can participate or volunteer in place of work.We promise you that ill serve all the staff will serve you take care of you act as family and friends, escorts you to your care and attention is always and constantly.Please do not hesitate to contact us:TEL.: 863-214-0567.add us and chat on Facebook messenger; (America Jobs) **{(Support, aid,motivation, and encouragement for the best and continuing):=We accept donations, granting from the loyal people who love America for Real, As well as grants from international organizations and institutions.=You can volunteer Donation, contribution, tender, aid, gifting, giving, subvention, Contribution anything that's available to you, and you have whatever,no matter what, no matter how much we all love America, and we are all responsible. Everyone will give and donate for the establishment of the club, for charity, for helping the American community We need some employees, workers, minds and hands in all fields and disciplines FOR WORK WITH US IN MY NEW -PROJECTS IN USA. Charity. charitable works,And more, we have alot of things *with our club you will to do what you love. *For more information please contact phone number: TEL.: 0020504951468 *-We are optimistic we give hope and opportunity to the youth of America and all recent graduate alumni of universities and colleges and various institutes and schools of all disciplines, From all different disciplines. *- We open the doors to all young Americans and all graduates of schools, institutes, colleges and universities from all different disciplines. *-You can work and share with your time, your thoughts, your efforts or your hand, and anyone who has a good kind heart, a loving and compassionate person who can also share his or her feelings, or his material, physical financial or moral support. *-Important we will cooperate and participate in the good works for a better life all over United States territory that lies between two oceans , Such as those passengers together in one boat or one ship. All of us together must cooperate and share for love and safety of the United States and the American community and we all live together as one family we love and support and interest and benefit the American society locally and globally, we are all of us officials responsible will be working together for America and the world, too. ~{ For more information contact phone number: 0020504951468}~ **+ Note: the first 100 contact will choose them The main founding members and have the opportunity to be among the members of the Board of Directors, They will also participate in a group of trips inside and outside the United States on an enjoyable fun trip to visit Egypt, Oman, UAE, Europe, Japan, India.and more Tour to visit all over the world. Also with us you will get some new good friends, life partner and learn foreign language for free and you get many gifts. +NOW CALL PHONE NUMBER: {0020504951468} +Send to E-Mail: welcometonewlife@gmx.com ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ *-The club's program has 100 different activities that suit all the tastes and interests of every member of the American community. Everyone will find what he wants. *-/- If you have a desire to join the world cultural social club and participate in all Club activities and events you can now join type full name, sex, age, date of birth, occupation, full House address and telephone number, email address and any page or website of your own. And the picture you Send to E-Mail: +NOW CALL PHONE NUMBER: {0020504951468} + add us and chat on Facebook messenger; (America Jobs) Mr. Mohamed El-Sayad,The idea owner, founder and general manager of the club "World cultural social club" in USA ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Be active with us, change your life,change your lifestyle, make life better... Come join Family members LOVE USA....Love will keep us together - We Are Stronger Together .Union and cooperation we get the strength of the group, The power of the community, "We will make the American dream and realize the American dream".-We make the whole world love and respect America-. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ *Together we will making the world a better place +With the world cultural social club, you will have a happy new life.! ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Mohamed |

Tampa Florida+Contact people live in Tampa Florida. I would like MEET NEW PEOPLE IN TAMPA, FL very soon I will move to live in Tampa Fl. In fact really I love meeting new people where I live inside Tampa Florida. I am EgyptianAmerican* live in USA. * I need good American person as good kind friend will live with me and work with me so will be my life partner and my business partner too. About my new Business in USA. (1)-I want open new shop for sell Egyptian & touristic products, EGYPTIAN SOUVENIRS shop + (2)-pharaonic Egyptian Restaurant. + (3)- Establish a cultural social club. , I am the owner of an idea and founder and general manager of a social cultural club in the United States of America. For help and support and service the American community &USA and for better life .Do you like live aand work with me in Ttampa,, Fflorida now okk please contaacctt me and tell me aabout you with your photo, I hope wwe become very good friends and also my business partner.. REPLY DIRECTLY TO MY E-M,A,I,L welcometonewlife(AT)gmx.c,o,m *-*-*-*-*-*-*-* *{{ World cultural social club soon in USA.}}* ~=================================~ *(Good News:: NEW NEW ~ 5 excellent projects in the United States-you can work and collaborate and participate together for American society & USA~)*Successful local and international projects..For the love of United States.For the love of USA.:: =TOGETHER WE WILL MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN= we all love USA., and we all work together as good group= great team for Service and help the American community US society for a better life filled with love, peace and happiness.+/-Now you can join a group United States fans Lovers of the United States, You can work and participate in the World Social and Cultural Club. *-We accept new members of the good American people of all ages famale and male. *-now we all will work together for make America great again.Let every nation know what America is and what the great American community is? -Together, We will make America strong again. We will make wealthy again. We will make America proud again. We will make America safe again. And yes, together, we will make America great again.-Together we can make new USA No.1 in world. Come join the cultural social club members, and get a job or a work you love, with our club you will to do what you love. We accept all American citizens, US citizens, Local Americans and residents of the United States of America, and also Immigrants residing in the United States of America, especially immigrants from Europe, Japan, India, Mexico, Sultanate of Oman and from all over the world in all states *(from the 50 states in USA), Of all ages from 15 years to 95 years. Everyone will find what he wants and wishes with us to make your dream come true. "there is something for everyone". = NOW we looking for to find a good business partner in USA. for cooperation and participation together, all my projects ready for immediate implementation in just case I have everything I do not need anything except creating a loyal business partner and collaborator to work together and share and Preferably whohas a suitable place fit to create and open to create social club and open shop or store, or restaurant, or a cultural social club, Such as a house or office or shop or a large house, or office in the United States,It is located in a large city in any state of the United States. Also I need with me and beside me in my new business some good people to work with me such as Club members and founders Club and Members of the Board of Directors, Secretary, the staff, Employees and workers of all disciplines, all fields and different work areas, The team of workers with all kinds of crafts, trades and different professions, A team of workers in all trades and professions and business of various miscellaneous, Like: home Nurse, nanny, babysitter, Housekeeping, Housewife, housekeeper, Lady maid, female servant, cookery home cook, Hairdresser, Specialists in care of beauty and health of body, body care and makeup, customer service, Dealers, Saleswomen, Car owners and car drivers, Also Working team from all categories of American society such as intellectuals, elite, the elite in society, elite in government, the power elite, Government officials, wealthy in the US, university professor, School teachers, Human development specialists, experts, Trainers and consultants and those with experience in computer, internet, languages, translation, engineers, doctors, nursing, social work, public relations, Publicity, advertising, Media, television and press, Printing and Printmaking, marketing, , exhibitions, tourism, travel, , Merchants, Traders, Owners of shops and stores, Serious respectful investors, Businesswomen and businessmen, Artists and celebrities, artists and celebrities of American society, Famous Americans IN USA and other categories of society from all fields and disciplines. +We hopes to bring community together with love. *(All for one and one for all)**(You only win when you help others win )*("Help others achieve their dreams, aims and you will achieve yours.")* Even if you're old age senior patient single alone without Companion -Like divorced or widowed-can also participate or volunteer. in a place like a house or an Office or shop or any place of work, or Volunteering for anything available that you can volunteer for charity, In order to establish and implement projects, in USA, Even if you live alone in a big house and need for facilities and want good accompaniment and you can participate or volunteer in place of work.We promise you that ill serve all the staff will serve you take care of you act as family and friends, escorts you to your care and attention is always and constantly.Please do not hesitate to contact us:TEL.: 863-214-0567.; (America Jobs) **{(Support, aid,motivation, and encouragement for the best and continuing):=We accept donations, granting from the loyal people who love America for Real, As well as grants from international organizations and institutions.=You can volunteer Donation, contribution, tender, aid, gifting, giving, subvention, Contribution anything that's available to you, and you have whatever,no matter what, no matter how much we all love America, and we are all responsible. Everyone will give and donate for the establishment of the club, for charity, for helping the American community We need some employees, workers, minds and hands in all fields and disciplines FOR WORK WITH US IN MY NEW -PROJECTS IN USA. Charity. charitable works,And more, we have alot of things *with our club you will to do what you love. *For more information please contact phone number: TEL.: 0020504951468 *-We are optimistic we give hope and opportunity to the youth of America and all recent graduate alumni of universities and colleges and various institutes and schools of all disciplines, From all different disciplines. *- We open the doors to all young Americans and all graduates of schools, institutes, colleges and universities from all different disciplines. *-You can work and share with your time, your thoughts, your efforts or your hand, and anyone who has a good kind heart, a loving and compassionate person who can also share his or her feelings, or his material, physical financial or moral support. *-Important we will cooperate and participate in the good works for a better life all over United States territory that lies between two oceans , Such as those passengers together in one boat or one ship. All of us together must cooperate and share for love and safety of the United States and the American community and we all live together as one family we love and support and interest and benefit the American society locally and globally, we are all of us officials responsible will be working together for America and the world, too. ~{ For more information contact phone number: 0020504951468}~ **+ Note: the first 100 contact will choose them The main founding members and have the opportunity to be among the members of the Board of Directors, They will also participate in a group of trips inside and outside the United States on an enjoyable fun trip to visit Egypt, Oman, UAE, Europe, Japan, India.and more Tour to visit all over the world. Also with us you will get some new good friends, life partner and learn foreign language for free and you get many gifts. +NOW CALL PHONE NUMBER: {0020504951468} +Send to E-Mail: welcometonewlife(AT)gmx.c,o,m ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ *-The club's program has 100 different activities that suit all the tastes and interests of every member of the American community. Everyone will find what he wants. *-/- If you have a desire to join the world cultural social club and participate in all Club activities and events you can now join type full name, sex, age, date of birth, occupation, full House address and telephone number, email address and any page or website of your own. And the picture you Send to E-Mail: +NOW CALL PHONE NUMBER: {0020504951468} + messenger; (America Jobs) Mr. Mohamed El-Sayad,The idea owner, founder and general manager of the club "World cultural social club" in USA ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Be active with us, change your life,change your lifestyle, make life better... Come join Family members LOVE USA....Love will keep us together - We Are Stronger Together .Union and cooperation we get the strength of the group, The power of the community, "We will make the American dream and realize the American dream".-We make the whole world love and respect America-. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ *Together we will making the world a better place +With the world cultural social club, you will have a happy new life.! ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ REPLY DIRECTLY TO MY E-M,A,I,L welcometonewlife(AT)gmx.c,o,m