Tallahassee, Florida
SperlingViews

Below you will find all the  SperlingViews added about this city.
To find out more about this place, check out our complete Tallahassee, Florida profile.
Asha

city is claustrophobic - 10/25/2016

I thought It was just me, I moved here in late May 2016. I’m from northeast, been in Florida since August 2015. I live 6 miles from work and it takes me 17 minutes to get to work and 20 minutes to get home.(I have driven 20 mins to work before but that was 17 miles) I moved here from Mount Dora, FL for a better position in my company and now I wish I had never left. This city is claustrophobic for me, I have never lived in a forest before. The combination of the forest like 2 lane streets and the long lights has caused me anxiety while driving. I never would have moved here had I known, I also agree with the nothing to do and more expensive than lake county. And the summer here was hot, hot, hot, and soooo humid. The utilities are crazy, the rent is more and the food is expensive. Only thing to do here is go to the movies if you are not into sports. I have driven to Panama City Beach, Jacksonville and Orlando for something to do. Also you need to drive to Jacksonville or Orlando to get a decent price for airfare, my co-worker told me the Tallahasse airport charges the airlines more money, so the tickets out of here can be hundreds of dollars more than elsewhere and some airlines are not here. I am looking for another transfer within my company back to Lake county Florida area, although there is a 18 month waiting period between transfers. I’m out of here as soon as can. This place is not why I moved to Florida.

Polypureheart

An Isolated Island of Traffic - 9/20/2016

Tallahassee is all the traffic of a real city with very few big city amenities. It is also VERY ISOLATED, with little or nothing to do nearby besides Wakulla Springs. Although near the coast, you will have to drive at least an hour and a half to find a beach which is not swampy or swarming with bugs. I was draw here when Trader Joe's and Whole Foods opened, thinking Tally had finally reached big city status, but no. The Whole Foods is a dud, and the impressive plethora of natural foods stores, Publix, Starbucks, Target, shopping, plus some very nice city parks, do not make up for all that is lacking. I should have know Tally was a mistake in the beginning, but I was coming from someplace worse. The first time I visited here, I listened to hip-hop music blaring in the parking lot of the Holiday Inn all night. Later that day, we visited the mall and someone shot off a gun causing mass panic. The second time I visited, there was a stabbing in the lobby of our hotel and prostitutes hanging around in the parking lot. Tallahassee has grown up too fast, yet has never fully realized a cohesive identity of its own. A strange mix of students up here from Miami, State Government workers, Health Care workers, a diverse African-American population, young couples with toddlers who go to bed early, and most recently, Retirees, Tallahassee boasts crime at an all time high. I have watched the downward spiral of the Midtown area in the past three years, as crime and the homeless population have crept in. The most violet negative here is not the crime however, it's the students. Students rule here- they rule the road and they will basically wipe their butt with you if you get in their way. It's all ego, all me, all the time. For " The Most Highly Educated City in Florida," I have not been the least bit impressed. My graduate student neighbors are the loudest, worst neighbors I have ever had. Additionally, this State Capitol of Florida is more reminiscent of the slow pace, Southern cities of Alabama and Georgia, with all the road rage and bad drivers of Orlando and Tampa. The narrow canopy roads which encompass many residential driveways are not equipt for the heavy traffic which they see daily, resulting in a grid lock which traps people in their homes until rush hour has passed. Stop lights are ill designed, and include left turn signals which let one car through at a time, while a long line of cars wait through multiple lights. Businesses are not well stocked here, shelves are empty, and many stores are closing. It's hard to find what you need, and when you order it, mail service is unreliable at best. I have had multiple packages disappear, and have experienced extreme unprofessionalism in the Post Office. High speed internet service is slow, and Netflix can take up to a week to arrive from nearby Panama City, an hour and half drive away. During Hurricane Hermine, the mayor refused the help of the Governor to get the power back on, resulting in thousands of people (and pets) waiting in the blistering heat for 5 days or more because of political differences. Good luck getting any sleep in Tallahassee. Local trash pick-up is usually between 2 and 3 am, and includes a truck which goes BEEP BEEP BEEP constantly. Quieter nights are accented by random gun shots and sirens. If you venture outside Tallahassee you find yourself in the middle of nowhere, like a drop off a cliff into redneck, country living. As far as weather, it's more like living in the Carolinas or Georgia than like living in Florida. The summers are hotter than the Peninsula, with no sea breeze or relief, and the Winters likely dip below freezing and stay there. I've also experienced allergies I did not have in Florida proper from the many Pecan trees just North of here in Georgia. The nature is still wild and untamed here- the bugs are heavy and prevalent, and you will see wild animals in town, as Tallahassee is surrounded by heavy forest. It may be a nature lover paradise with all the gorgeous trees and parks, but all and all, Tallahassee is isolated and mediocre. There is no real airport, no concerts or events- just FSU football and blood curdling crime. Strangely, it is not the worst place I have ever lived, but the whole time I've been here, I have been thinking I cannot wait to get back to civilization.

Missy

Living in Tallahassee - 9/19/2016

Relocated her from midwest - typical southern city - very parochial & boring if you're looking for a vibrant artistic and rich cultural experiences that are diverse. However, nice for raising a family - as there are some great elementary schools here! I must say it is a beautiful place aesthetically - lots of green spaces & wildlife abound in every community even downtown.

Dennis

Tallahassee Weather - 10/2/2013

Generally hot from mid-May to mid-October. The Winter, generally mild, can have 30 degree swings from the morning low to the afternoon high.

Casey

Tallahassee - 3/15/2013

Tallahassee is a great place to live. I have lived in a big city before and Tallahassee has more wildlife, and more parks; two things I enjoy. The jobs vary. If you have a high demand field (STEM, or anything in healthcare) you can find a job here. Some other field of studies may also be able to find work here also. The pay varies also, but it is also a more affordable city to live in.

Leroy

Cost of living - 3/6/2013

Not ready for a comment at this point, just want info on living in Tallahassee

Sheri-Lyn

Tallahassee - 2/7/2013

It is a great college city but with that said, it is smaller than you might think. It is beautiful year round. In the restaurant business where I work though, jobs are hard to find-everyone has already worked for everyone (LOL)

Vincent R

Going East or West ........... - 4/9/2012

More to come.......... Just travel a little east or west of Tallahassee to see Beautiful small towns & Green Natural Landscapes for exploring with a camera & hiking boots.

lois

Great City - 5/20/2011

Tallahassee Florida is a great city for older adults. It is a beautiful city with big,beautiful trees. People are nice and helpful. Farmers market 6 days a week, library open downtown on Sunday. Moved here from SW Florida and LOVE IT!

Laura
Marianna, FL

The ArmPit of Florida! - 2/18/2011

Tallahassee is the armpit of Florida! Traffic is horrendous, crime is off the charts, the weather sucks and the schools are the absolute worst! Jobs are crappy - with so many college students/graduates running around town willing for work for minimum wage, employers don't pay more than that to fill even professional positions. Your other choice for employment is to work for the State of Florida and get paid in sunshine. It's nice to have a sunny day but it sure doesn't put food on the table, ya' know what I mean? If you love living in a mosquito-infested swampland next door to white trash living in run-down shacks then come to Tallahassee!

Susan

Not enough bang for the buck - 2/5/2011

There are some really great places here, but all in all it is too expensive for what you get.

pc_kitty

Learning Options for Higher Education - 1/2/2011

Tallahassee has a community college, two universities and a few technical schools. The community college also has several university partners which share its campus. Tallahassee is a great place to come for higher education!

Lisa

Family Town - 11/23/2010

If you don't have any family, do not move to Tallahassee, Florida. I moved here in 1996 from one of their small towns, but originally I grew up in Denver. Oh! My Lord why did I ever do that. The people in the community slandered me. They put my kids in jail. It is real poverty stricken. I am an african american women and single mother. I was discriminated against here, I was fired off of every job I ever got hired here, my lights were always shut off, and their so called public officials here when I complained to them, they did nothing about i, not even the damn Mayor. There is a historically black college here, florida state(mostly all white) and a all white community college here, and a technical school. So the town caters to the college students. If you are coming here to go to college, get your high school somewhere els, and then apply here, because the cops here are bad about putting you in jail, especially if you are black. A lot of black people in florida have had felonies put on them, and the blacks are put away for years. I got lucky and some lawyers filed things for me, but they took all of my money. This is a town full of haters. It is hard to make friends. The people back stab you, and they will nopt help you. Why I stayed here was because my children were in middle school and I didn't want to move them. You come to florida on vacation and end up on felony probation. The weather is humid all the time. When it rains, the lightening feels as though it is inside your house and you are about to get struck. I've never seen so many endangered speices walking around the neighborhoods, like amarillows, snakes, (lots of poisionous snakes), lizards are constanly hiding on your porches and in your windows, yellow jackets, and I got stung by a wasp and had to go to the emergency room, it hurted real bad. Other parts of Florida are beautiful, if I had of known I would have moved to South Florida, but it is much too expensive. I son't know what kind of people live in northern Florida, which consist of Tallahassee and Panama City, but this is a very strange town. There is always somebody stalking you. It's just bad. I can't wait to exit. It was a very bad choice to raise my children. I only have one left with me. I brought three. People here don't like outsiders.

Bp

College Town - 10/19/2010

This is not a good place for me to live out my retirement years. It is best for college students.

Daniel
Colorado Springs, CO

Important issues - 8/1/2010

The information I am finding on this website is very informative and important.

Jeremy

Tallahassee sucks. - 5/17/2010

If you live in Tallahassee, it is because you're parents moved you here because of their work, and now you're on your own, you're here for school, or you're off your freakin rocker. Besides getting an education (if you're completely rich) there is nothing to offer here in Tallahassee. Tallahassee's like a sad animal dieing slowly, and just needs to be put out of it's misery. If the resources that were being put into keeping this dieing city of life-support were placed elsewhere, say, Jacksonville, it would probably save at least one of the two cities. So, if anyone has nothing better to do than ride the ship to the bottom of the ocean, come join me in Tallahassee!

Robin

Tallahassee, FL - 5/3/2010

I've lived here more than 20 years, and things have improved considerably since I first arrived. There are definitely worse places to live.

Jackie

Low COL; Close to Universities - 4/26/2010

Tallahassee has a somewhat low cost of living which makes it a great place to live and save money. There are also 3 colleges in the city which bring about lots of activities and cultural diversity.

Hilary
Ponte Vedra Beach, FL

If you have to live in Florida...Tallahassee is th - 11/29/2009

In regards to weather, I think Tallahassee has the nicest weather for the state of Florida. Summers are hot but not brutal, and winters are cold but not brutal. Spring and Fall are the prettiest seasons where tallahassee reaches this sunny but windy medium which is really pleasant.

oquicha

no traffic - 5/28/2009

I'm not from Tallahassee but I have noticed that there is never serious traffic issues here and that is great for a student commuter.

Next >>