Search for any place in the USA:

SperlingViews - Henderson, Nevada

Overview, People, Health, Economy, Housing, Rankings, Climate, Crime
Education, Comments, Transportation, Cost of Living, Religion, Voting

79.08% of people are white, 5.90% are black, 7.47% are asian, 0.47% are native american, and 2.95% claim 'Other'. 14.20% of the people in Henderson, NV, claim hispanic ethnicity (meaning 85.80% are non-hispanic).

Have an opinion about Henderson? Leave a comment.

Tracy
Calhan, CO
Arthritis - 12/13/2013

We are thinking seriously of moving to a climate that is conducive and helpful for arthritis and surgical areas that get very sore in cold weather...Does Henderson have any kind of pool for re-hab??[read more...]

Erin
Weather in Henderson - 3/9/2013

I always say that Henderson has Nevada skies and California sunshine. The weather is really easy to live with here.[read more...]

ANDREW
Henderson/Las Vegas - 9/16/2012

Cheap housing, great entertainment......BUT Vegas area is VERY secluded! You can get anyplace around town in 30 minutes. This town get's old fast.Im always driving to LA or PHX....Moved here in 2001, departed in 2003 but returned in 2010 and cant wait to leave. Its a good place to visit, and it's cheap to fly/stay however there are so many more awsome cities in this US. Think twice before moving to Vegas.........I grew up on the atlantic ocean in Florida, have lived in Scottsdale,AZ, Houston,TX, Denver,CO (denver is really amazing) and Calabasas,CA......ask me anything if you want.have a nice day.[read more...]

stacey
Las Vegas, NV
places to live - 8/21/2012

places to lives seems the same alot even when changing things around.[read more...]

Dave
Temp - 2/9/2012

Perfect temps year round[read more...]

Abhd
Illegal to start a business in your own garage/hom - 12/17/2011

After serving my country overseas for decades I purchased a house here 3 years ago. My parents have lived here for 25 years or so. The only thing I wanted to do was start a small business in a small shop behind my house and help take care of my parents. I spent 11 years purchasing mills and lathes and storing them here, getting ready so everything was squared away when the time came. I purchased a home with a huge shop in the back (already made). Poured a new concrete floor etc., to get everything ready. I left Afghanistan a few months ago to start it. Happiest time of my life right! First thing I did was go down to the City Hall to get a business license. Imagine my surprise to find out that in Henderson, NV it is ILLEGAL to have any kind of home based business in your garage or shop. Unbelievable. Never in my wildest dreams did I even imagine that people could ban people from having a business in their own homes. They have taken that freedom away. So if Steve Jobs were here, it would have been illegal for him to start Apple computer. There would have been no Ford Motor Company, Hewlett-Packard or Harley-Davidson, etc. No wonder the country is so screwed up. All over this town are over-priced, industrial parks with row after row of empty buildings. They want 2k and up a month to rent them. Gee, I wonder why they are empty? Guess what you Henderson City Hall Rocket Scientist's? You killed off the start-ups before they had a chance to get big enough to need a 2,000 a month commercial building. I guess it's more important to keep the people that own the empty industrial parks paid than to give people their freedom to do what they want to do. So for me, instead of starting a business and maybe hiring some people later as my business grows, I'm selling off everything. Thanks Henderson. Thanks a lot. So much for entrepreneurship and helping small businesses. Come to Henderson if you want to flip burgers at McDonald's or work as a checkout person at WalMart. But if your an entrepreneur, my advise is stay as far away from this town as possible.[read more...]

Pat
Henderson, NV - 9/24/2011

I have lived in Henderson, NV for 3 years and I think that it's a great city and everyone that I have met are all very friendly. I do not have any small children that go to school here however, I heard that the "Green Valley" area has very good schools. By the way, the shopping is great at the "Gallera Mall" on Sunset Blvd plus, there are alot of great restaurants in the area to choose from. [read more...]

Susan
Unemployment in Nevada is at an all time high - 7/31/2011

There is little diversity in the job market in southern Nevada. The casinos are the number one employer here. Lost jobs and home forclosures run rapid. Henderson is a much more community interest city than Las Vegas.[read more...]

Abhd
cost of living in high - 6/2/2011

I would not believe the cost of living index for Henderson, NV. We pay an average of $600 a month for gas, electric and water and we live in a Pulte single story energy star home! We live in a igloo! We only turned our heater on a few times last winter. We make really good money and can not afford to live here anymore since the cost of living has more than doubled since we moved here 10 years ago. No income tax but there are plenty of other fees and taxes to make up for that; ie. car registration, LID's etc!!! Our electric costs get as high as $550 in the summer with the thermostat set at 78. Keep in mind, summer can last from April to Sept. Nevada does not get a break on the cost of water either even though we have Lake Mead because of the agreements that were made when the dam was built. [read more...]

Diane
Clark County Museum - 1/26/2011

The best Museum in the area, and the cheapest! (1-2 dollars per person) The street of historic homes that one can self-tour, is the best part, but right now in the Main Exhibit Building, there is a great exhibit with funny vintage TV commercials from the 50's and 60's...This place is a treat in the winter, because so much is outdoors...visit now before summer comes....but when it does, the houses are all air-conditioned...you just may not want to spend a lot of time exploring the Ghost Town and Mining Trail in the summer months. Open Daily, 9-4:30pm, except major holidays. www.clarkcountynv.gov, 702-455-7955.[read more...]

Diane
Clark County Museum - 1/26/2011

For between 1-2 dollars each (or zero for toddlers) you and your family can enjoy a great experience outdoors or in at the Clark County Museum, which is on a 30 acre site that includes the Main Exhibit Hall, a street of historic homes you can explore, a barn, Train depot and caboose you can go into, a Ghost Town and Mining Trail you can wander through, a Nature Trail to meander down, and of course a gift shop. This unrecognized gem is open DAILY from 9am-4;30 pm, except for 3 major holidays. You will see cottontails, ground squirrels, and maybe a jackrabbitt and roadrunner to boot. The Wedding Chapel they moved here fron the Las Vegas strip is beautifully restored, and there is a huge steam engine too. Photographers' paradise![read more...]

Al
Henderson - 9/5/2010

Henderson has the best schools in the Las Vegas Metro. If you are unfortunate enough to have to live in the Las Vegas area and have children choose Henderson. If you are smart....move out of the area entirely:)[read more...]

Patricia
Southwestern Paradise - 6/28/2010

Henderson, adjacent to Las Vegas, is a community dedicated to families and retirees. It is rich with community centers, parks, and year-round indoor and outdoor activities plus the proximity to Las Vegas entertainment. The greater metropolitan area (roughly 2 million) has a diverse population that offers culture from all over the world. The area is very contained, due to being surrounded by public and other government lands, providing an easy escape from the city into desert wilderness and national parks. Henderson has excellent infrastructure, affordable housing, good schools, great shopping and dining, and safe neighborhoods. There is always someplace new to explore. [read more...]

Dasboot
Covington, LA
Pros and Cons of Henderson - 4/24/2010

Lived in Henderson for 2 1/2 years: Pros: Housing costs are becoming more affordable and is almost in line with the national average. No state tax and relatively low property taxes (ranked second in the nation behind Alaska as far as having the lowest state tax and local tax burden). All essential amenities within a few miles. Plenty of running/bike trails. The weather is nice from September thru May. Always something to do with Henderson being in close proximity (20min) to Vegas and the casinos being open 24hrs a day. Many different places to camp/4 wheel within several hrs of the city. Cons: Very hot during the summer. It can be windy especially in the spring and fall (I believe this also depends a bit on where you live in town because of the terrain). High car insurance and license tags. Generally, the newer the vehicle the higher the tags will cost. Most houses are in developments which are situated on small lots <.25acre. Summary: I enjoyed living in and wouldn't mind moving back to Henderson. Henderson and Las Vegas have quite a variety of people from different regions throughout the US. I'm not sure how the schools are in Henderson as I don't have kids, but I've heard both good and bad. Outlook: Although unemployment is somewhat high right now, I wouldn't be surprised to see an influx of people/companies moving from California to Henderson/Vegas because of the close proximity and the relative cost of living. [read more...]

Al
great most of the year - 3/2/2010

4 months of summer too hot but rest of the year is great.[read more...]

David
Life outside Vegas - 8/24/2009

There seems to be a lot to do in this suburb of Las Vegas but the people here are definitely not as friendly as back in Florida. If you can put up with the heat it isn't a bad place to live but make sure your kids are grown first.[read more...]

Mark Judi
Hot & Toasty - 7/20/2009

If you are part lizard and love the heat, then this is the city for you. With Las Vegas as your closest neighbor there is plenty to see and do.....but you better like it HOT! Summertime is hot(triple digets) every day and it is quite warm in the evening as well (low's around 85). It almost never snows here and rain is very rare and very little of it.[read more...]

Stephen
Seven Hills in Henderson - 2/3/2009

I love Seven Hills which is a master planned community in Henderson, Nevada. There are plenty of clean walking trails (if you are an out door type) and crime is relatively low. I would like for the air quality to be a bit cleaner but considering the amount of people who have moved here in the last few years, it is still pretty good. The weather can be a scorcher, especially in late June lasting until September.[read more...]

barbara
Henderson Offers Affordable Living - 12/7/2008

Henderson, Nevada just minutes from Las Vegas offers affordable living.[read more...]

Breck
Education is a Nightmare - 11/18/2008

The education system in Southern Nevada is a total nightmare, I would rather starve so I can send my child to private school.[read more...]

Next >>