We have place information on 13 very cool categories, pick one or scroll down to see an overview.

Not so cheap - 5/21/2015
Apartments range from 500 to the thousands, but salaries are in the low 20k so COL, very relative

ease of use - 4/9/2015
I enjoyed myself at this site

Housing - 12/3/2014
Housing in Oklahoma City is one of the cheapest in the country. The city is fairly big in size so it is not as densely populated as some other cities. As of 2013, the population was 610,613. The area growing the fastest is the Edmond area which is just North of Oklahoma City. The downtown area is one of the worst when compared to other states in my opinion. It is a pretty boring city overall, which is why I am looking to get out of here ASAP.

Columbia, MD
Possible Relocation to OKC - 9/4/2014

I am considering a possible move to Oklahoma from the Baltimore, MD area with my Fiance'. We are both of asian decent and are in our late 20's. We do not do much partying anymore and now for the most part enjoy going on date nights and to the theater. We are looking for a place to start a future family.

Anyone have any thoughts of what type of a lifestyle change that we will need to consider moving from Maryland to Oklahoma? And we do not have any family or friends in Oklahoma, so will it be difficult to assimilate to the local population?

Oklahoma City is a mixed bag - 8/26/2014
I lived in OKC altogether for about 25 years, mostly because of my business. It's true about not being able to make friends unless you grew up there and/or have kids. People aren't so much unfriendly as they are content in their own little bubbles and not curious about anybody who isn't in their bubble. There are a lot of immigrants, but they mostly stick to their own ethnic communities.
Housing appears to be cheap, however repair costs and insurance are high due to the weather--ice storms, snow storms, hail storms, tornadoes,etc. An average year will see lows of 0 degrees to a high of 110 degrees.
Grocery stores are mostly a sorry lot. The library system is actually quite good. If you're into outdoor recreation head for the lakes, especially Hefner (bike path), Overholser (boat house with kayak rentals), or Arcadia (hiking trails and camping).
Jobs outside of health care, government and oil and gas are mostly low paid. Regulations are poorly enforced, especially in real estate (buyer beware.

DON'T DO IT - 5/31/2014
The only pro I can think about OKC is that low cost of living.
We moved here from Chicago a year ago for a job and we are just waiting for an opportunity to get out of here.
People here are odd as ever. I use to think they were just un-friendly but I also realize they are incredibly dumb and act as if you’re odd for wanting to have an intellectual conversation or if you show any kind of energy in your conversation. Most people here are rude as hell and customer service in this town is shocking. No grocery stores, well Whole Foods and Sprouts but they are like novelty stores, not regular grocery stores??? July and August you will be inside, too hot to go out, and the winter is milder temperature wise than the upper Midwest but the wind is wicked and very cold. Trash is everywhere! People do not pick up trash here and the winds are always whipping the trash all over the city. THE UGLIEST CITY you will ever see is OKC. It is so ugly it’s depressing. The phony Christians will drive you nuts quickly. If you’re single, a black professional, non-Christian, or LGBT you will have a difficult time here. Very few sidewalks in the city, they force you to drive everywhere. You will need a home security system here in OKC, this has to be the burglary capital. Auto insurance is high because of the yearly hail damage. You HAVE TO have a garage or carport. Tornadoes are a huge threat here, especially in April and May. But oddly, they talk about them here almost like they’re proud of them?? I guess because it’s so boring, tornadoes bring a little excitement. There is a reason why OKC has a bad reputation in the United States.

Oklahoma City is Cursed by God - 3/7/2014
A year ago my wife and I moved to OKC. Yes, there are some good folks there, but it is a dishonest lot of folks that call this red dirt town home. I got to know some local realtors and they were a shady bunch, deceitful, crooked and double-talking. Beyond the weekly earthquakes (which they all seem to have no idea why they have become so frequent . . . Ahhh it's called fracking), the 4.5 mile wide tornados that stay on the ground for 45 minutes, the scorpions, the monthly hail that leave tattoos on everyone's cars, the highest home insurance rates in the nation, the fact that they had to give the land away in the first place to get anyone to live here, the blood red dirt from all the underhanded broken deals with the Indians, or the UGLY lack of scenery, this place is hell on earth. Two months after relocating to OKC, I got a call at 2AM from my employer letting me know I was fired, with no prior warning or complaint, and the threat of arrest if I returned to the office. What a bunch of nincompoops. Further, while they profess to be "Christian" instead they are liars and embrace all kinds if unchristian lifestyles. If you want to go to hell, go to Oklahoma City. Even their state motto, "Sooners" embraces a cheating concept (Sooners were settlers that stole land before it was lawfully available).

Oklahoma City, OK
Things you should know before relocating to Oklaho - 9/23/2013
I moved to Oklahoma City last summer for a great job offer. I moved from an east coast city that I loved very much but could never find quality employment in. I was aware that OKC has a rather negative image nationally as far as cities go but I thought to myself how bad could it really be?

First, before I get into my main points, I want to mention the good about OKC. First of all, things seem to be improving here. Though this city is well behind most others its size in terms of amenities and things to do, it offers more than most people think it does. There is more to OKC than country music and rodeos, despite common myth. The city's formely dead downtown is coming to life as new condos, townhouses, and apartments get built. The city is starting to develop the bones of somewhere that may actually be cool to live someday. The Bricktown Canal, though artificial, is a pretty neat attraction. Other entertainment districts are starting to sprout up in neighborhoods surrounding downtown. If you are used to a larger city you may be underwhelmed but compared to where OKC once was, things are really coming along. OKC is a city that is really slowly but surely coming back to life. Plus, OKCitians are generally very proud of their city and most of them have the desire to see it progress. Many other cities with similar image problems don't have that advantage. Another thing I want to mention is though its a conservative city, you don't have to be a right wing, Glenn Beck extremist to live here. There ARE liberals in OKC, believe it or not.

Also, OKC has one of the best economies of any large city in the country right now, combined with the lowest cost of living for any place its size. With the right job, you can really live like a king here compared to other places.

Now, on to my main points. While I can definitely understand people liking OKC and wish I could embrace it myself, it hasn't been a good fit for me. I advise anybody considering a move to OKC to consider these things.

1. This is a family oriented city. One of the first things I noticed when moving here is how I stick out like a sore thumb being in my late twenties and not yet married with kids. If you are single, there are much better places to live. While I am under impression that this is a fun city for college aged youth, if you get too high in your 20s and don't get married it can be a real problem socially. Because of this, I have had extreme difficulty making friends here and still spend most nights alone.

2. This is not a beautiful city. Though things are definitely improving in this department, the lack of natural beauty as well as the climate that prevents a lot of plant growth have dealt the city a bad hand in terms of aesthetic beauty. OKC isn't alone in this aspect, but other cities seem to have made up for it with stricter building codes and landscaping. Until recently, there wasn't much of this in OKC, leaving much of the city to feel like a dusty truck stop somewhere in the Texas panhandle.

3. The weather is extreme. Though F5 tornadoes don't occur every year, they are continually a threat and must be at the back of everyone's minds every spring. Summers tend to be brutal and dry and winters, while milder than in the Midwest, are a little too cold for comfort. That leaves only a few months out of the year with placid weather.

4. The culture here is decisively blue collar. Though more and more educated people are ending up in OKC and this is one negative I expect to change eventually, for decades OKC had severe brain drain in which most educated people left for other cities. That still shows itself loud and clear in the culture here. People as a whole don't look highly on intellectualism or high culture. This is a very conformist place and I have found it difficult to be at any way different from the local social norm. Maybe I just haven't found my niche yet, but this has been my experience. Supposedly there are a lot more cultural events starting to happen so maybe this is changing, as expected with the recent influx of more educated transplants.

5. Lack of natural beauty. Sorry, no beaches or mountains. No tall trees. You can decent outdoor recreation in about a two hour drive in most directions from OKC.

6. Retail is mindbogglingly lacking. Not much upscale retail to be found here. Tulsa about an hour to the northeast has quite a bit and Dallas, three hours south, has everything you could want, but OKC is hardly a shoppers paradise on the high end of the spectrum. This doesn't really affect me as much but I thought I would mention it since a lot of transplants seem to take issue with this. What has been the most surprising for me is the lack of everyday amenities, such as quality grocery stores. There are a few, such as one Whole Foods and a few Sprouts, and one called Uptown Grocery in Edmond, but there are no major national chains or even quality local chains in OKC. In most of the city, you are stuck with the Super Wal-Mart or a store called "Crest" which is a little better than Wal-Mart but still very basic and lacks the variety of a good solid grocery store that you will find in other cities.

7. The liquor laws. I am sure you have probably heard about this if you are seriously thinking about relocating to Oklahoma, but this state has probably the most backwards liquor laws in the entire country. Grocery stores and convenience stores can ONLY sell beer up to 3.2% alcohol by volume. This pretty much limits it to big-name domestics. You won't find craft beer or wine at the local grocery store. Liquor stores on the other hand can sell anything but they cannot sell cold beer (government is afraid people will chug it in the car) and must close at 9PM and on Sundays. Overall you can work around these laws, but its another added inconvenience to living in Oklahoma vs living elsewhere.

Bottom line, I would have a hard time recommending just anyone move to OKC. I would say the best way to summarize it is its great for families or if you have roots here AND can deal with the negatives listed above. Singles over the age of 25 or so should probably look elsewhere. Depending on your demographic and your lifestyle, you will either love this city or it will suck the life out of you. I personally want to like OKC and don't want to go through the hassle of moving again but I don't know if I'll ever be able to have the life I want in this city given my circumstances. Take my review with a grain of salt as this is just one opinion from one guy on the Internet.

I have lived here for 9 years now------- - 9/18/2013
I agree with most of the other comments; Oklahoma City has good and bad like most cities. The good here is the abundance of open land, land you can own for a good price, affordable housing, jobs (low unemployment this current year) and 4 seasons, not super cold in the winter (as MN is when I lived there) and decent Spring and Fall weather, the people are friendly (and I use that term loosely) on the surface. Honestly, that is all the good I can find in my 9 years here. I am from the West Coast originally and I have lived in CA, NV, CO, MN previous to OK. The BAD out weights the good for sure. The bad- summers are miserable; humid, hot, bugs, snakes (poisonous), lakes here are muddy, the open land I spoke of previously, well they have littered all over their land. People here throw their trash out their car windows - and think nothing of it. It is windy here so trash is everywhere all the time. In OK I have met the nicest people I have ever met and the most nasty mean people I have ever met in my life. I think the nasty mean are a greater population though. IT is a good ol' boys club for sure - and women are treated as second class and dumb. If you are a transplant, if they don't know you, or know of you, you will have a hard time getting anywhere here unless you are married with kids, my husband and I are married with no kids. And no friends. If you are born and bred here you are not and Oklahoman you are an "okie", which is a 'club' in and of itself. Sitting in a room with people, and they know you are not from here, they will avoid looking at you when they are talking about "what's the name of that place, or where is this or that?" Like you would have no idea - even though you might live down the street from that place. Arrogance and Pride run rampant here in this is the so-called Bible Belt - Just talk to someone who is an OU fan -
There isn't much to do here, the weather is extreme at times, people eat terrible and are fat. People here have a lot of health problems.
There are better places to live then Oklahoma city.

Okc - 8/7/2013

Rellocation - 3/26/2013
I may relocate to Oklahoma City due to a job offer and I wanted to learn more about this city before I make a decision. I am a black man with a wife and a daughter and one of my concerns is race relations and a good place to raise my daughter and wanted some opinions before I make the leap. I am coming from the Baltimore, MD area.

Thanks in advance for reading.

Owosso, MI
My adult children are moving from Michigan to Okla - 11/21/2012

My adult Children are moving from Michigan, to Oklahoma City, OK and I don't want to live here in Michigan without them, so I am ready to move too.

I live on Social Security disability. I am looking for low income housing, as well as job placement services, as well as help with moving my belongings.

I do drive, and I have worked with individuals with disabilities and would like to get back into this line of work in Oklahoma.

My adult children cannot afford to help me to move with them, how can I do this?

I will be alone here in Michigan, I am divorced, and I don't want to live here in Michigan alone without my family.

How can I get help with finding a home, and a job in Oklahoma City, Ok?

Oklahoma--A decent place to Live--Minus the Mishap - 6/26/2012
I lived in Oklahoma for over 6 years. It has grown tremendously in that time frame. I will attempt to be impartial as I provide my opinion on the good and the bad, of Oklahoma.
The GOOD: It is relatively slow paced, which I found less hectic than living in Dallas. The traffic has increased due to lots of transplants, but it's do-able. The schools systems are pretty good, especially the colleges (OSU, UCO, OC, OCU, OU, OCC, OSU-OKC). The cost of living is relatively low (Housing, groceries, gas, clothing). People tend to be relatively friendly, at least on the surface. Okies engage in small talk in elevators, or while standing in line to place an order or make purchases. The highway system has improved and there is an abundance of jobs.
The BAD: Oklahoma still has the "good o'le boy system and is currently used in hiring. If were not born and bread in Oklahoma (especially a Texan), you may struggle a while longer to get a job. OU (Univ of Oklahoma) is over-rated. Residents (most of whom never attended OU) are the schools most loyal fans and advocates. OSU, the state of Oklahoma's official college, is often overlooked. There is extreme rivalry between OU fans and those of OSU, especially on the part of OU fans. Okies will engrave this excitement about OU in your head until it either explodes, you become an obessessive fan just like they are. In addition to imposing OU sports on you, Okies impose religion. We are in the heart of the BIBLE BELT region. While I am Christian, and religious, I find this very offensive. The weather is often cold in the winter and very hot in the summer, with damaging tornadoes (with large hail) from late spring to the early summer (March to June). If you are married, especially with kids, you will FIT in fine. If you were born and raised in Oklahoma, and don't relocate out of the state, you will survive well here like most okies. Socially, born and raised Okies (who never leave the state) along with married couples with kids, will find lots of social activity here. Okies have their established friends, most from church and from birth (elementary, grade school), and do not WISH to make new friends. If they discover you are new and from TEXAS, you won't stand a chance. Texas, due to the OU football rivalry, is Oklahoma's biggest enemy. Most Okies despise Texans, and you will be disrespected in traffic. I had to quickly get rid of my Texas license in order to have respect.
In addition: Okies tend to give off the impression that they are deeply religious and convicted to do what is right. However, I have found them to be racists, hypocrites, obessessive with sports, casinos, drugs, partying, and other contradicting behavior, contrary to religion.
Statistics: Highest incarceration rate of women, highest child abuse cases, highest divorce rates, are among a few alarming statistics. There is a high drug and prostitution rates also here. Oklahoma also ranked number 1 city for having lots of obese residents, and lots of smokers. This states that most should take their focus on their health instead of some of the things I mentioned.

Conclusion, if you LOVE sports (OU college FB or pofessional BB), are married with kids, are chain smokers, who are obese, and have your own set of friends and not looking to make new ones, Oklahoma may be for you. If you are overly religious or a judging fanatic, you will fit right in. If you like very slow paced cities, that are at least 10-15 years behind most other cities, you will be okay here. Good luck! You may have better luck than I did. It was not the worst place for me to live, but I have seen way better, and have actually lived out of the state of Oklahoma to know the difference.

OKC is a Nice, Affordable place, but has racism - 6/23/2012
In response to Darryl, who wrote a post in March 2012, I have to agree with most of what you say, but when it comes to racism, I partly agree and disagree. First, I must say that NO RACE has an excuse to be racist, not even Native Indians, regardless of what happened to them. You alluded to the fact that the US Army were commanded to force the Native Indians to obey their orders, even if it meant taking their lives. Have you forgot about the torture and murder of blacks in the Infamous "Tulsa Race Riot" of 1921, where both the local Tulsa police and military were ordered to destroy the black union of individuals, known as Black Wall Street, the ones who originally owned and earned the oil money in Tulsa. All that money the blacks made and it was taken from them, their land, houses, and possessions. The Native Indians were not the only ones who were taken advantage of or killed.

Back to Oklahoma:
Some likes regarding Oklahoma is that people are somewhat friendly, but from a "standoffish perspective" They are this way because they all were born and raised in Oklahoma and rarely left the area or state of Oklahoma, for that matter. Their circle of friends consists of those made in early grade school, up to high school. Most people know each other and each other's parent. This is characteristic of a small town.

OU Sports and various religious doctrine will be forced upon you, along with Republican politics, which overrides the Democrats. This is a red state and nothing of a Democrat nature even passes.

People are racists, especially against blacks, and focus on every negative things, including murder, or other crimes, that blacks commits. Read the blogs. When whites commit crimes, most people are hush about it.

Oklahoma has progressed in the last 10 years, but is still 15 years behind Texas, and I don't care how mad this makes Okies feel. IT is the truth. Just ask Okies, who are in Texas most weekends taking advantage of the futuristic, first class, and enjoyable fine dining and shopping. The roads are better, and there are lots of business establishments that are unheard of in Oklahoma.

If you are not young, married, or have kids, you will find social trouble in Oklahoma. Marriage is a requirement to fit in. Lots of "fresh out of high school" married couples. By the time they are in the mid 20s, some have been married and divorces more than once. High divorce rate because of the pressure to marry young, most incarcerated female population in the state, along with high cases of child abuse. Lots of meth, drug cases by Caucasian men. Minorities usually do marijuana. Many meth labs and people with no teeth as a result of the meth use. Surprising this happens in the heart of the bible belt, called Oklahoma.

Been in this state for 10 years, and I actually love/hate it, which equals like. I am okay here, but it does not satisfy me. The college education is great here and affordable. If you move to Oklahoma from Arkansas (except Little Rock), Mississippi, Louisiana, Alabama (except Birmingham), Tennessee (except Nashville or Memphis) and Missouri (except St Louis and Kansas City), you will absolutely love Oklahoma! Why? Because you already will be living in a bible belt, religiously fanatical area, and here would make you feel right at home. If you are Old fashioned, Caucasian Conservative Republican, you will fit in great in Oklahoma. Good luck! People from more fast paced states, outside of the bible belt region are staying away from Oklahoma, and generally move away fast, after they get here, usually within a matter of weeks or months. Great that we have an NBA, but it is going to take more than one NBA professional sports team to be considered a progressive state. IT is going to take many years, like 20-30 of them, and to get rid of the racist, conservatives in order for change to invoke this city right in the current century.. NO doubt!! Good luck!

Oklahoma City - 3/31/2012
Nice place to live with areas to suite everyone. Great NBA team. Crossroads of America. Cost of living is below national average.

1 2 3 4 5

Compare Oklahoma_City, Oklahoma to any other place in the USA.