I lived in Reno for 12 years. if you have children the best High School is R.T.I. in Sparks. The best place I Lived was in S.W. not to close to Virginia Street. Past Arlington Ave. is the best but $. If you can stay for two weeks at a rental Wildflower Village has studios. Safe a bit old but good place.Go to Chamber for info ao things to do. I did Property Management for 10 years. Just Go to neighborhoods durring the day and night. You will see there is alot of foot traffic in S.W.Reno.Very dog friendly restaurants,and families.From S>W you can walk everwhere or a free bus downtown.Best of luck! Cathleen
You are such a Hater! Texas is awesome!
4 -5 stars:
- Less commute time.
- No income tax:).
- Shopping - Easy. I think there are 5 wallmarts (most of them are 24 hrs), 4 or 5 home depots in the Reno-Sparks area. No need to go California to buy anything.
- Medical – 2 Hospitals inside Reno. I don’t know how to compare the service quality. I heard +s and -s
- Climate – I liked it. It is not good as San Francisco or San Diego but lot better than east cost and Iowa. Less humidity (I’m not sure it is good or not)
- People are nicer. It is lot better than NJ- NY metro area.
- Lots of outdoor activities and great shows (Car, balloon race, air race etc.)
- Major cities like Sacramento and San Francisco are nearby.
- Skye area is close by. Several lakes are close by. Other Plenty of activities to do
3 stars or less:
- Less job opportunities compared to metropolitan cities. I worked in NY City but couldn’t find another one at the right time. Reno only helped me.
- Cost of living – I would say little above national average. Sales tax – 7.75% + Gas price is higher than most of the states that I lived but driving distance is less… One thing I hate here is the car registration fee. Car insurance is same as NJ-NY area. NJ – Very low gas price (now also) and low car registration fee (in 2003).
- Public Schools are not good as most of the other states.
- Crime rate – I don’t know… but have to watch out wherever we live… Some of my friends lost most of the items from their home while they were out… Good communities are available. I Had bad expeieriences in east coast also..
Sorry if I misstated anything. Little about me to know on what basis I wrote the above.. 4 stars and 3 stars.. I'm living in Reno for over 7 years and lived in different parts of the country Iowa, Virginia, Delaware, New York- NJ metro area.
The cons are the windstorms and the poor economy there. Otherwise, it is a great place to live. It is a sportsman's paradise. I like the SW which is so close to the timberline with tall pines and Lake Tahoe, and close to south Reno where the jobs are. We moved to the Salt Lake City area two years ago for work, but we want to go back to Reno as soon as possible (this SLC area stinks both literally and figuratively). Reno is a great place to live! It is a great place to bring up kids too.