Richmond, Virginia Comments

"A Great Place to Raise a Family"

A Great Place to Raise a Family - 3/20/2006
3 0
Bob

My daughters are now 21 and 24 and Richmond was a great place to raise them in terms of youth sports leagues and a general feeling of safety as long as a few parts of town easily avoided were so. An hour to the beginning of the Blue Ridge Mountains and an hour and 45 minutes to the ocean, 40 minutes to a large recreational lake and an hour and a half to two to Washington D.C. provides all the recreational and cultural and historical sites to visit you would need for any weekend excursion. The Counties in the Metro area have decent numbers of recreational parks and available for public use facilities (baseball diamonds, soccer fields, general parks and green space). Cost of living in terms of raising a family is moderate as well. Additionally, the public schools in all the counties outside of the City itself are well regarded and among the best in the State, and can lead, as it did with my daughters, to placement at several excellent public University that are nationally ranked.

back to Richmond, Virginia Add a New Comment Report Abuse

Login to reply to Comments. (Membership is Free)

More Richmond, Virginia Comments

Nicole

Overrated City - 10/10/2016

Do not like this city and living here at all. People like to hype it up just because it's the capital city. Sure, it's got some arts and culture, but I don't consider looking at murals on dirty city walls and shoving food from local restaurants into my face as a fun past time. I go to VCU and it's also hyped up in just about every aspect, absolutely overrated. All my friends are back home in Hampton Roads, I have not made any friends in this useless city because people are so unapproachable and everyone walks around like they are dead. People here are immature and live in their own bubble, Richmond is definitely not a part of the adult world. The nightlife here is lackluster as fuck, you can find a waaaaay better and more popping night scene back in VB where I'm from. A lot of the same stuff I can find/do in Richmond, I can do back home, so it really baffles me when people try to compare the amenities between the two. Richmond is dirty, disgusting, and rough, and can leave you in a perpetually bad move. Cannot wait to leave this place and never come back.

Mayra

Nothing good - 7/12/2016

I never had a negative a word to say about Virginia since I moved here 13 years ago, until this last year when I moved to Richmond. In a nutshell; rude and mean people, dirty and lots of crime. Basically nothing to be jealous from Miami, NY or LAX.

Brian

Update -- Negative Vibes - 6/10/2016

This is the original poster of the February 2016 review, and I'd like to give an update after several months. After reading over my initial review, I realize it's more vitriolic and emotional than what I originally intended it to be. However, I do want to stand by my views. Even if you live in a nicer, cleaner part of town, there is such a widespread insularity and provincialism across the area that it makes what I consider normal experiences in other cities to be exceptional here. I hate that I've now come to expect unprofessionalism, mumbling responses, averted eyes, and strange attitudes in many commercial environments. And I'm not talking about "disenfranchised black folk" but black, white, young, and old. The strange thing is that I run into this attitude LESS when I get further outside the city into more rural areas; and, when I do see it, it makes sense because that's just how small-town, country places are. Richmond is too large to have such an insular mindset. Perhaps other older cities are like this and I just haven't experienced it before. A friend from Richmond told me once that what I have to understand is that the South was built upon developing a relational dynamic of oppression in which people controlled each other, physically or emotionally. I think that attitude has been passed down, both in the white and black communities, so that the common way people interact with each other is through an indirect, controlling dynamic of fear and shame. On the whole, people feel more guarded, suspicious, and sensitive than anywhere else I've lived, and I think that anyone desiring to move here should be aware of that before coming. There are exceptions, of course, but if you are the exception, I think you will always be feeling like you're fighting the culture -- or you'll have to simply ignore it. And I don't want to fight or disengage from my city. It's not right. All that said, the river is nice to go to sometimes, and I LOVE the fancy houses, picturesque estates, and old rowhouses. And I also like the desire to keep traditions alive, but people need to start questioning the health of those traditions and whether they are building walls more than breaking them down.

Brian

2015 - Negative vibes and a culture of mediocrity - 2/6/2016

I've lived in Richmond for 7 months now after being forced to move here from Dallas-Fort Worth due to health issues. Before that, I lived in Los Angeles-Orange County for 5 years, and I was raised in southeast Michigan (Flint and Detroit). I am trying to be fair with the following review, though it may not seem like it. I really wanted to like Richmond. Within the first three days Richmond struck me as a southern Detroit without the cosmopolitan benefits and amenities of the Detroit metro area, and this view has only been solidified the longer I stay. The impression I get is that the city feels like an old, run down dollar store where a couple aisles sell fine rugs and Patek Philippe watches on shelves made of oak and stone, and one aisle sells craft beer. I wish I could say that the city was as vibrant or energetic as it is sometimes advertised to be, but it's not. There are fancy historical buildings and some new things, but I feel like there is a culture of mediocrity, complacency, and apathy. On top of this, the city is gritty, spooky, and tough feeling, and this provides some excitement for suburban young people who want to "make a difference." The combination of complacency and toughness is very unnerving to me, and it reminds me of someone who is repressed -- someone who wants to just BUST OUT but feels trapped. I am generally a vibrant, outspoken person, but I feel like it's been beaten out of me here. It's hard to describe.

jennie

Ha - 12/16/2015

ha

Stephen

Terrible Place to Live - 11/11/2015

Hands down this is one of the worst places I've ever lived or even visited. There is nothing to do here, the people are not friendly and the endless number of transient street beggars is unsettling. The cost of living here is about the same as it is everywhere. The restaurants are moderate to expensive and the quality of food served is mostly hit or miss no matter where you go. The area boasts craft beers so if you want some expensive terrible tasting beer that leaves you with a bad taste in your mouth this is the place to be. In downtown you are confronted with after hours adults on skateboards. Yes, I said adults. If you like to walk along the river good luck stepping over dog poop and garbage. A Saturday visit to the river brings a smile to your face if you find tattooed overweight people with body piercing funny. There is no place here to get a good haircut and most of the women cutting hair look like the women you see walking around the river - which is not funny. While there are many people riding bikes I'd say they are either doing it to show they can do it or they can't afford a car. Biking is dangerous and while you can join the meet up groups and RABA you will be on your own unless you are part of their clicks. The capitol to capitol trail connects Richmond to Jamestown and if you enjoy riding on a sterile extra wide sidewalk with no place of significance to stop for 53 miles then you will have fun on the trail. If you have to locate here for work and have kids make sure to review schools and neighborhoods. Both are spotty at best. The downtown area hosts VCU University and it is conveniently located across from a park settled by homeless people and vagrants. Richmond is truly a great place to leave.

John
Londonderry, NH

Richmond - 7/24/2014

I live in the western suburbs of Richmond, and the quality of life here is excellent. In the past I've lived in Boston -- a great and exciting city; and I've lived in southern N.H. -- a wonderful place to reside; and Richmond holds it's own with those places in terms of quality of life. I love nature and history, and for a nature/history lover Richmond is fantastic. Within easy driving distance of Richmond are some of the most interesting Civil War battlefields in the country; you've got old historic plantation houses along the James River; you've got Colonial Williamsburg, Jamestown (North America's oldest English settlement); and Yorktown (where the Revolutionary War was decided.) You've also got numerous fine universities and many non-historical attractions. These include the gorgeous Blue Ridge Mountains; Busch Gardens and King's Dominion; Virginia Beach, and great walking/biking kayaking opportunities along the James River and elsewhere. The western suburbs of Richmond are a safe and peaceful place to live --especially for a nature and history lover.

J
Glen Allen, VA

Richmond has really gone down hill - 2/18/2014

I used to live in Richmond early 2000's, recently returned, and absolutely HATE it. This place was a far cry from decent before, but was mildly tolerable, not any more, it's really gone south, and although there is a large white pride community, there is no "southern" pride. Pretty much every day, in my observation, people around here are rude, and I don't mean just ignore you rude, but go-out-of-their-way to be jerks kind of rude. It's jaw dropping to me how ridiculous the general population of this place comes off. If they aren't rude, they are complete idiots, which I suspect is the result of years of horrible public education finally catching up. Then you have the highest level of frustration with the people around here, the combination of the two, rude and stupid. Don't DARE walk your dog around here, most streets don't have sidewalks and you take your life in your own hands because people are too self-absorbed to give a millimeter, they will not slow down and they will not move over or yield to a pedestrian. In fact it seems more like they feel accosted that you would dare walk your dog in their neighborhood, literally, as if they own the street. The drivers in this place are just unfathomable, really, it's just amazing to me how poor people drive here, and have ZERO regard for anyone else on the road. They simply refuse to acknowledge there's even anyone else on the road but themselves, absolutely amazing. I've never lived anywhere filled with so many "jerk" people in my life, it's boggling to the mind. I don't know what it is with people around here, the water, the pollution, the economic stagnation, the list could go on forever; but this place is a dump, it's filled with really crappy people, and I wouldn't have come back here if I had a clue, and it's all I can do to get out of here as fast as I can. People always tout the activities around here, which would be great if it wasn't for having to deal with all the jerks everywhere you go, the river would be nice if you didn't have to deal with street gangs and the parks would be nice if again, it weren't full of bums and gangs. Pretty much what used to be fun around here just isn't worth it because the general people you have to deal with where ever you go just takes the fun out of it. I'm not kidding, people are really stupid and real jerks around here, don't waste your time with this crap hole place, it's not what it seems in any regard. Oh, and for all the dang stores and malls, there's NO specialty stores, like oh, a decent electronics store, or computer store. Everything in Richmond is big box, corporate chain, same ol' same ol' run of the mill stores, and lots of them. This whole place feels like one big Walmart. Actually, it feels more like a Dollar Store, and the education system is the 7-11. Pathetic, dirty, rude, and stagnant, that's Richmond.

Billy
Spring Valley, CA

Be very careful.. - 1/28/2014

High street crime (assault, muggings, rape). Be very careful not to walk alone in most areas and never at night. Pay more for a safe area to live especially if white. Not the best place for SWF's. Lots of anger and hatred for whites. Just be careful.

Billy
Spring Valley, CA

Be Very Careful - 1/28/2014

Be very cautious around Richmond. High crime with exceptionally high assault and rape occurrences. Stay in safe places and do not walk alone at night anywhere. Not a good place for SWF's.

Robin

surrounded by VCU - 1/22/2014

Living in The Fan district, in a century-old townhouse, is a fun & exciting place to be!

Stephen

Bad Info - 8/15/2013

Zip Code 23233 is Henrico, VA not Richmond, VA. Doublechecked and you can only look up info for cities, which leaves out most places. Info for 23233 is showing Richmonds info, not Henrico's. I can only assume this site has tons of bad info if that's how it's being done.

pallavi
Wheeling, IL

Hey! Me and my husband are going to get shifted t - 6/27/2013

Hey! Me and my husband are going to get shifted to Richmond.My husband's office will be in downtown,so i am seeking for a residential area nearby, which should be "safe" and "green" as well.please help me with your valuable suggestions.

Jeanine
Orlando, FL

Right wing conservative/snooty - 10/2/2012

Definitely not a "live and let live" area. If you are right wing conservative, self righteous, and have a need to be in your brother's business, move here.

Jaime

Too many smokers and too many allergies - 6/20/2012

This place has caused allergy induced asthma! Every time I leave it clears up. We have extreme levels of outdoor mold most of the year. And a lot of air quality alerts in the warmer weather now. Those with existing breathing issues should avoid. It was better here when we came in 2003, the air was very good. Now I feel sick with almost no enery most of the year. Looking to move, since I am in my 30s. I would rather live somewhere without such mold levels. Very high on the spore count is over 50,000. We have had in the hound dried thousands several times. I don't know why there is such mold all of the sudden. If you are allergic to mold definitely do not move here!

Kimberly

Great place to raise a family - 4/2/2012

I grew up in Richmond and if you're looking for a place with good schools, low crime, low taxes, all 4 seasons - mild winter, low unemployment - this is a great place to raise a family. The counties - Chesterfield(southside of the river), Henrico(west side of the river), Goochland(country), Powhatan(country) all have excellent public schools. The city of Richmond is continuing to improve the public schools but they don't compete at all with the county and private schools. There are a few elentary schools in the city that are excellent. Most people I know with children that live in the city limits send their children to private school. But the county public schools are really giving the private schools a run for their money. Richmond is 2 hours from D.C. and VA Beach, 3.5-5 hrs from NC Outerbanks, 5 hrs to NYC, 2hrs to the mountains and 1.5 hrs to the Chesapeake Bay-many Richmonders have second homes near the bay and on the Rappahanock River. Lots of people invloved in sailing/boating/fishing on the bay. Richmonders refer to it as "going to the River or Rivah" this weekend as going down to the Rappahanock or bay area. So it is centrally located. A lot of NYC people moved here after 9/11. They chose Richmond because it was south of DC where you were out of the traffic congestion of DC/Baltimore/Philly/Newark/NY. Once you hit Richmond, it just opens up and slows down. Negatives - true Richmonders can be very cold to people who have relocated, but that is slowly changing with the younger genereation. But this has been a complaint from friends/clients I've encountered who've moved here. I also hear a lot you either "love it or hate it" here. Some people complain there's just nothing to do here and it's too quiet, other people that have moved here think it's the best city. everyone is different. It does carry the nickname "the city stuck in time" because Richmonders hate change. Very conservative but there is a young population of liberals here as well. Not many laws to protect gay people, you can be fired for being gay, but I don't think the law is actually used. Supposedly, 80% of VA's believe this law should be changed but it has yet to be put on the ballet. The young generation is helping to improve this. I have lived in Boston and St. Louis and miss the activity of a bigger city with a lot to do. We don't have a sports team - unless you count the baseball team the Squirrels. Richmond has a big art scene, great restaurants, the James River runs straight through the city, so lots of boating and kyaking. The city is mainy quiet on the weekends during the summer because people escape to their River houses or Beach houses, so it very slow during the summer months. Plus the college kids are gone - Virginia Commonwealth University (VCU) -great school and The University of Richmond - also a wonderful school and gorgeous campus. Hope this shines some light on my birthplace!

Deanna

Richmond, VA - Affordable and Fun. - 2/15/2012

I've lived in Philadelphia, PA - Arlington, VA - Stamford, CT - Tampa, FL to name a few and absolutely love Richmond. Housing is very affordable, you can get to anywhere in Richmond in 20 minutes, there are tons of restaurants, it's a very active city and is also 2 hours from the beach, mountains and D.C. It's easy for young professionals, families or students to find their niche in Richmond and stay. Some people do knock it for being 'boring', and those people do leave.....and then come back realizing how good they had it here.

RTR78
Midlothian, VA

Midlothian, VA - 1/19/2012

Recently relocated here for my wife's job. Seems to be a safe, nice suburb of Richmond (25-30 mins on toll, 35-40 mins no toll). People are nice, the main road (Midlothian turnpike, is busy with lots of businesses, upscale car dealerships, and plenty of old/ new housing options. All in all, good place to be.

maria
Frisco, TX

Are there any "new" areas or suburbs? - 1/1/2012

We may be leaving our beautiful Frisco Texas to move to the Richmond area and I am wanting to get some opinions about suburbs or neat areas I might miss when I come to visit. Are there gated communities? The job my husband is looking at is in Chester but we are open to any community nearby. Thanks

Gerry
Chesterfield, VA

Weather - 9/23/2011

Richmond has good weather. It is not too hot in the summer and seems to be protected by the mountains again snow. Ice however is worst. It has a mixed population of races. It is a small big city.

Next >>GENERAL