Klamath Falls, Oregon Comments

"Don't move here"

Don't move here - 11/17/2010
2 1
james

I have been in this hole for almost a year and as soon as I can I am moving as far away from here as I can. There is nothing here, well except alot of drugs. The local cops are not worried about the drugs they are more worried about stopping someone doing 26mph in a 25 zone, and what ever you do don't drive around with out of state plates on your car. It would be nice if this S--T hole would just dry up and go away. But as long as the old timers are still around it won't they like it small after all they all have their retirement or are on welfare. If you read this and don't believe me just come here and look for your self. The north end of town has a truly beautiful lake BUT what ever you do don't swim in it you will get something you really don't want, and if you have dogs that like the water let them jump in they come out green. The people here are true meaning of small town small mind, very simple minded and most very mean spirited. again if this is in doubt just go into the downtown gas stations and other local businesses. Come to Klamtucky and find, well nothing. For the area homes that sell for the upper 100,000 to millions what a joke. There is nothing here oh wait we do have the GREAT store Wal-mart and of course the great K-mart and if you like resale shops we have a good will that sells Wal-mart and K-mart items for twice as much, oh how great this little back woods town is.. No jobs well unless you want to be a wal mart greeter or always ask the customer would you like to super size that. And of course there is always the gas stations, where you too can make not enough to live on. but if you just have to move to a small town, and you like drugs, no jobs, and one business after another closing COME ON DOWN.

back to Klamath Falls, Oregon Add a New Comment Report Abuse

Login to reply to Comments. (Membership is Free)

More Klamath Falls, Oregon Comments

James
Alma, MO

Quality of Life - 9/15/2016

Can someone comment on the following? 1) Why is the crime rate so high and is it really a problem or just in certain areas? 2) Is the tap water good tasting and safe to drink? 3) Is there a reason why homes are significantly less expensive than in other towns in Oregon? 4) Is there enough rain and is the soil good enough for gardens? 5) Is the hospital rated highly? Any comments about life in Klamath Falls would be helpful

Alex
San Francisco, CA

Do Oregonians Really Hate Californians? - 7/9/2016

My husband and I have been having a low key disagreement about this very subject. We're getting a bit older, we live in San Framcisco (natives) and I've been checking out different communities across the nation where we can move to in a few years. My husband is convinced that you folks hate Californians, and we shouldn't check it out for retirement. He has never been there; that's just the scuttlebutt from a couple of his friends. I said we have to check it out for ourselves. I mean I get being a bit protective of a place I've lived in for over 50 years. The population of S.F., whereas doesn't sound like a huge surge in 50 years, went from ~725,000 to about ~815,000 today. But, this town is only 7 miles wide and with the advent of the tech boom, there are few homes under $1,000,000 (THATs what makes me mad). My point is, I don"t dig it, but I don't hate the people who have moved here. We want to be able to live in a place that is beautiful (same reason people come here). So tell me, we're not jerks, although political, we keep it to ourselves and we're geniunely nice people. Would we be welcome? Please be honest. Thanks, Alexandra

Teri

Beautiful and unspoiled - 2/22/2016

Klamath Falls a quirky small town on the sunny-side of Oregon with about 30,000 people in the greater area (including the census area of Altamont). There are more than 3000 small businesses, and about 30 medium to large employers, but we definitely need more private-sector jobs. I think we have a good work force because the area attracts people who like to live a healthy lifestyle, and we have two colleges. With a lot of agriculture in the area, we have a culture with a strong work ethic. I have found it to be a great place to raise a family with schools that have higher graduation rates than the state's average, two performing arts theaters, lots of paved (and unpaved) walking paths and trails. We have an amazing sports complex for a town our size -- indoor field house, baseball, skateboarding and soccer fields. And they're going to have their own solar power to run the place. We have the only Arnold Palmer designed golf course in Oregon, the longest zipline in Oregon, the only national park in Oregon (Crater Lake), the only polytechnic university in Oregon, and the largest lake in Oregon (Upper Klamath Lake--measured by surface area). They harvest super-blue-green algae from it, so it's not a real popular swimming hole, but it's great for sailing, kayaking, canoeing and fishing. My opinion is that if you are an urbanite who measures self-worth by the number of clubs you can go to in a weekend, this is not your place. If you're a warm-weather suburbanite who is most comfortable in chain restaurants and big-box stores, and freaks out in snow, you might have some adjusting to do. But I'm thinking it will be for the better. We're the kind of place where your input at a city council meeting can actually make a difference. It's easy here to get involved and find ways to contribute to society.

Joanie

Love this small town! - 7/6/2015

My husband and I came to Klamath Falls in November of 2014, looking for a place to retire. We loved the small town right off the bat, and could't get over the friendliness of the people. We found a house we liked and bought it, unable to move into it until May of 2015. We stayed in a motel from Mid-December until May, along with our yellow lab. This is the 5th state we have lived in, having grown up in a mid- size town in Wisconsin. We lived in Kansas for 4 years, Pennsylvania for 16 yrs, and the San Diego area for the past 25 years. We weren't sure we would find Oregon our final stop, but absolutely love the state and it's beautiful forests, hiking trails, National Parks and waterfalls, and the lack of congestion, especially compared to California. Couldn't wait to get away from there. Settling in Klamath Falls has brought us such peace of mind. We enjoy small town living and find we have most of everything we need right here. Okay, so there isn't a large mall, but one can shop on-line!! Wal-Mart is okay to shop at, as is Fred Meyers where we can get most of everything we need. There is a nice Home Depot and we also love the local furniture store where the people couldn't have been more helpful and friendly when we were looking for new family room furniture. We love supporting local stores. Having driven to Medford just twice since moving here, we immediately got turned off by the traffic. If you want to shop at Costco, that is where you have to go, but we are not sure we want to renew our membership due to the congestion there. The drive over was gorgeous though. We have nice neighbors, a nice parish, found a good doctor, dentist and veternarian. We love the views from our home, where we see deer, so many birds, and Mt. Shasta in the distance. Waking up each morning to the birds singing is wonderful. Yes, there are some run down areas and we know of the drug problems, but for us retirees, we couldn't be happier. The cost of homes is much less expensive than in any other place we have lived. We have enjoyed walking down the quaint small downtown area, and enjoy Moore Park. I am sure not everyone would find this place the place to live, but it is exactly the perfect place for us to retire. We were both a little dissapointed in the past winter where we only got a dusting of snow, but did have many cold days. The summer has been much hotter than we expected but the nights usually cool down for comfortable sleeping. As far as cultural events, we have yet to miss any, and have not even been to a movie. Do we lead a boring life? No, I don't think we do. We have been married 50 yrs, I turn 70 next month and my husband is 71. We do not consider ourselves old fogies, but are content at being with each other, doing things we love to do when we want to do them, and find we have enough to read, and enough to view on the telly. We have traveled to numerous places in the Carribean, Europe and the United Kingdom. Have been to Canada, Mexico and all states but Alaska. So, we are ready to enjoy this small town and are more than content at living in beautiful Oregon and this friendly town of Klamath Falls. The only negative we find so far, is the lack of air travel accomodations. The air quality is of no problem (but having lived near smog city LA, perhaps we find it to be of little consequence to us), we love the clear sunshiney days and the great quality of life we have here. I just hope this review dosen't bring too many people here, because the town is just the right size. We do empathize with the unemployed and wish for a large company of some sort to come here and do some job hiring of those already living here. That would take care of some of the high unemployment numbers. I don't agree with so many negative remarks of people that have commented on this site, but to everyone there is a season.

Robert
Fremont, CA

Poor Quality of Life - 6/23/2015

Well, I've got to thank all the truthful people that left a post here.Thanks to all the negative post that have been posted here, I'll find another area to bring my performance engine manufacturing business to. This truly sounds like a hell on Earth. KF just lost what would've been about 600 good paying jobs (18.00 - 32.00 an hour) jobs. I can't see surviving in a atmosphere where I'd be fighting everyone from the city counsel to the police just to try to get a comfortable life going. If a city as small as Klamath Falls can't handle their drug problem/child abuse problem/air pollution, then they are destined for ruination.

Amy

Lived here for 2 months. - 10/18/2014

We just moved to KF from East Texas Aug 2014. Its funny, every person we've met has asked, why we moved here. The Town people have been very friendly but seem curious as to what brought us here. Its as if they know we chose this area with specific purpose. Its true we did! The area is gorgeous, we love it. Coming from Texas we noticed right off there was no one fishing or boating in August at Klamath Lake. That struck us quiet odd because in Tx where there is water and fish you see people. Being a customer of the blue green algae supplements from KF for years, I had an idea. I still wondered why people weren't swimming or fishing in the water, if the KF algae is healthy to ingest. After asking local people, I found a handful of answers from: water is to shallow for boats, its cold, the algae feels gooey to swim in, green film all over your boat. I did see state signs/laws at lakes, that you must scrub your boats to keep unwanted species out of lakes. That in itself is probably a deterrent. However, I also sensed there was a concern of many to swim or fish in Klamath Lake. They felt unsure/unsafe due to farming chemicals draining into it. Word has it, that fishing in spring is healthier before the algae blooms. Folks near Agency Lake (upper Klamath) who have lived here for years, say fishing & eating is good year round, never having an issue. The weather is interesting! Mild summer days compared to TX and drastic temp drops at night but its refreshing in this dry climate. People here warn us of the winters and encourage 4x4 trucks, good tire tread and to have plenty firewood. Its Oct now so I feel we are in for a winter surprise and we are making plans to buy a 4x4 diesel truck before Nov. About animals here, well hmm? People love horses here for sure, everyone has horses but dogs on the other hand; good luck getting a rent house. Having 3 large dogs, we had no choice but to find a house 15 mins out of KF near Keno. We are happy here but we do live further out then we may have initially chose and pay a bit higher rent. What I find crazy is; I'm still seeing the same houses we inquired about in August presently still for rent. This is most likely due to their unwillingness to bend on dogs or the high pet deposits. One house owner wanted 250 per dog and we had 3, yea, yikes. About jobs well my husband and 20 year old son both had jobs within the first month. However my husband had prior talks with his prospect employer before moving here. I have applied for 4 jobs so far, two of which were declined. As of present we are very happy here and its so beautiful. We like the people, we've had good experience's with law enforcement and have happily found that people do go swimming and fishing at the Lake of the Woods.

Linda
Palm Springs, CA

Wiki - 7/3/2014

We have been visiting KF for more than 25 years. We are retired now and have often considered relocating there. We have witnessed many of the things written on this blog - occasional bad air quality, midges, poverty, the great RR theater. We are fortunate to visit friends who have been raised in KF and are connected to some really great people. Our questions are: why no air service, quality grocery stores (or quality stores period). Plus the flight away from KF by JeldWen and rumors of OIT moving away? Why does the Chamber or powers that be seem so disconnected to such a beautiful valley? The downtown has some really good little stores and restaurants. But hardly enough to sustain outsiders with thoughts of relocating to a small town. Who's in charge, really? Is it the ranchers who continually pollute the lake? Or the politicians with no backbone? Is it the planning commission that has allowed a sprawling ugly mess beyond Main St? The Port Authority? The Military? Is there really a plan to make KF a "ghost town" as suggested by other bloggers? Where is the press? Is it stifled? Or in bed with the powers that be? We hear healthcare a nightmare. The Herald and News, if not TV, should be front and center on top of all these issues. Short of all that, what a waste of a such beautiful place.

onlinetv

DO NOT WORK for Sky Lakes Hospital (previously: Me - 9/28/2013

All the comments on this site regarding NOT living in Klamath Falls are TRUE!!! I have experienced it myself over the past couple months and I could not get out of here fast enough! The poor water quality (that is predominately in the newspapers currently, Sept 2013) is visibly disgusting. The air is not bad now, but as it gets colder I had been told to wear a mask outside in the winter since the poor air quality condenses here in the basin. In regards to dogs, people here are not friendly towards them at all. Despite what you read online about "the friendliest dog cities in Oregon"; Klamath Falls is NOT one of them. I have had more rude comments about having my beautiful chocolate lab with me on walks, in my car, staying at hotels, and not being able to rent a house or apartment. This town is NOT dog friendly in the least! Then there is the hospital, Sky Lakes. Sure its beautiful on the outside with all the millions of dollars they spent changing the name, the icon symbol (which supposedly is a three fold symbol: a dove, a flame, and a hand - go figure that one out); and changing the exterior of the building outside/inside. It is beautiful, but the quality of the staff and support staff inside is anything but the standard of care. You know that old story about 2 barbers in the same town across the street from one another competing for business? One barber had a beautiful haircut and a neat, clean, beautiful barber shop on the outside, but no customers inside. The other barber across the street had a horrible haircut, a decent but kinda messy shop; but had customers lined up around the building waiting to get in for an appointment. Why? The barbers cut each others hair since their was no one else to do it. The unsuccessful barber had a beautiful hair cut that the busy barber cut for him when he had time in his busy schedule. The busy barber had an awful haircut from the barber with the beautiful shop, but no business. My point is, Sky Lakes is masking many problems they have on the inside of the hospital with all the glamour and money they poured into beautifying the hospital and changing the name. TRUST me on this! I wish I could reveal stories that have happened since I have worked there as a provider, but I can not share them online. I would not let my kids, family or myself be seen there; and I am so thankful to have moved on to a better area and place. If you are new to Klamath, like the nurse I met last week that was starting at the hospital, please get out of there ASAP. It is just a low level, grimy place to live without an adequate supportive city infrastructure to make the area a safe place to live.

Air Quality is the worst - 8/11/2013

Klamath Falls has the worst air quality in Oregon. During the winter the air gets so bad you can't go outside. The town burns their trash and since it is in a basin the air can't escape. No smog checks, nobody follows the regulations when you can burn wood, and the air is dirty.

Not much to do - 8/11/2013

There isn't any culture except for the Ross Ragland, and performances are only half full, so we will see how long they can last. The ice skating ring at the running Y is nice, but other than that you need to drive at least 2 hours for real culture.

Do you like ice? - 8/11/2013

The snow isn't really a problem, but the ice on the streets get really dangerous. I saw a car one time slide through a crosswalk almost hitting a child walking to school. You need to have special tires when you move here. The cold weather starts in October and doesn't end until mid June, if you are lucky. Three months of being able to go outside is not enough.

Meth and Crime - 8/11/2013

We lived here for three years, at first it wasn't too bad. But, then 3 of our neighbors moved and rented their houses. Meth addicts moved in and we lived right by a school. There were drug deals happening by Safeway, and downtown wasn't safe to walk. Not to mention that Klamath Falls had the highest murder rate per capita in Oregon and has the highest child abuse rate. This happens when there are no jobs and poor quality of life.

Peter

Great place to live - 2/7/2013

Klamath is a great place to live. It is quiet, and peaceful. People are in general friendly and live a nice slow paced life.

Patty

One of the reasons why we're looking to move - 11/10/2012

We're retired both in our 70's and are looking to move to a more moderate climate, as Klamath Falls has long winters and the snow and ice aren't what most folks our age need to deal with (safety wise). Oregon is a pretty state and has a lot of nice people. We've lived here for over 50 years, but feel it's time to move.

Bp

Klamath Falls is for the birds - 11/5/2012

Where else in the Lower 48 can you watch a bald eagle perched over a lake in the downtown area? I have lived all over the US and choose to be here. The beautiful blue skies, the mountains and the wildlife are magnificent. Nothing to do? Fishing, camping, hunting, whitewater rafting; sorry mall rats - no mall. It's true that it's difficult to find a job here but the cost of living is reasonable and we have several treasures here in OIT, Sky Lakes Medical Center and the Klamath County Museum. Remember - Bloom where you're planted.

J T
Sacramento, CA

Excellent Place to Retire - but No Jobs - 7/8/2012

I'm a very grateful Baby Boomer, in that I recently retired, (though my monthly pension isn't much), and I not only retired, but I found a nice, inexpensive place to live. Where is it you ask? Well it's Klamath Falls, Oregon. Unfortunately the word is getting out now and so it will be just a matter of time before it gets discovered, and the home prices really take off. Here you can still buy a small older 2 Bd 1Ba home for under $65K, within walking distance of shopping, and there's always the bus to get around on as well. K Falls is located about 90 minutes from Ashland and it's world famous Shakespeare festival each summer, and also Medford, which has all of the shopping and amenities most anyone could ever want, and with the crowds too. K Falls is much less crowded, and slower paced, which is perfect for retirees, with good medical care here as well. And the weather isn’t bad either, if you like 4 seasons. There’s incredible fishing and with the mountains and Crater Lake nearby, there’s also all sorts of wonderful things to do, all year around. Both Ashland and Medford have already been discovered and are now too pricy for most retirees. Same with Bend, OR which is beautiful, but is very expensive. K Falls biggest drawback though is the high unemployment rate here, which is ok for retirees who already have a monthly income, or those who could get by on a part time job to supplement their income. Except for some professional jobs, requiring a professional license, most jobs here are minimum wage, and many are only part time. So for most of the younger crowd (18 to 40 years old) who are here, and are unemployed or underemployed, it may be best for them to move elsewhere for a better paying job (SLC, Phoenix or Texas are all good possibilities now), and then in 20 to 40 years, return to K Falls to retire. And it would probably be wise for most others looking for work, to just forget about moving to K Falls, as the few jobs here are filled by all of those who are already here. I think I'll enjoy spending my retirement here, and suggest that other retirees consider it as well. Check out the facts about K Falls here at Sperling, and then plan a trip to come check it out, if you’re still looking for a place to retire. But I wouldn’t wait too long, as more retirees are discovering K Falls and are moving in as well.

Brandi
Malin, OR

Klamath Falls - 3/12/2012

Reading all of the other comments made me kind of sad, really, that people think so badly of the town.. I am 24 years old, and was born and raised in Klamath Falls. People are not "uneducated" here or anything else that you people think who have lived here before.. The reason your dog turns green in the lake is because there are only two places on earth where the lake produces blue-green algae, and Klamath is one of them. Want to know what we do with the algae?? Check out www.e3live.com that site will tell you lots.. Oh and if you get grossed out, that is okay because the plant that sells it, well the owners are RICH and the employees get great pay and benefits.. Arnold Schwarzenegger and Kevin Bacon order the stuff.. I know cause my husband did their orders a few times.. Yes, it is boring in Klamath Falls and there is nothing to do, and I do suggest not moving here if you are broke, because you will stay that way. Yes, our cops are a$$ holes and the Doctors aren't any better but my honest opinion is that it's cause 98% of K-Town is on welfare and they don't get paid much. There are people here that are nice but you just gotta know who to talk to, just like when you live anywhere else!! Also, yes our teeth are bad, but it is because the cops are too busy building crap they don't need for themselves instead of our tax money getting used for fluoride in the water.. No fluoride, bad teeth, simple as that. (but there are a lot of meth heads here I do not understand why, but... yea that can mess up teeth too..)Also Honda is the most popular vehicle in Klamath, and I do agree that there is nothing to do but hang out at walmart and gossip for people.. (I actually just moved into Malin, 30 mins away from Klamath) but I don't pay any attention to those things.. If you mind your own business, you will do just fine!!

sachamo
Pomona, CA

Land of the Lost - 11/4/2011

Klamath Falls is no doubt one of the most dysfunctional places on earth. If you have thoughts of moving there take a few moments and read what I have to say.Jobs are very hard to find in K-Falls so packing up flying by the seat of your pants is not recommended. Basically there are a handful of large employers ie, Hospital,College, Jeldwin and the Air Base. If you are of a minority status please keep in mind there are very few mnorites in Klamath. The ones that are there are ostracized and alienated by the white majority. Take time to see how many minorities are employed at the above mentioned companies. Crime is rampant in K-Falls. Every neighborhood there has been affected by crime. Drugs are also a epidemic in K-Falls. Divorce and spousal abuse is extremely high in Klamath. Depression and mental illnesses in Klamath keep the docs and cops busy. If you like gossip and rumours you have found your place. Everyone has got some insight from all the people who like chaos. Wood smoke in the winter will keep your plugged up and the mosquitos and midges will torment you to death. Education for your kids, oh they will get one. Pregnancy and peer pressure from ignorant kids abound in Klamath. Marriage, ask around and see how often many of the folks there have been married. More than once is the norm. If you come from California be adviced you will be blamed for all of the problems in Klamath, but the local yocals will gladly take your money for there inflated price on their house. Politics and good old boy mentality of Mayberry gone bad is all left to say. Thank God almighty for rescuing me from Klamath Falls.

mike

climate - 7/21/2011

cold winter moderate summer

Abhd

I like it - 6/12/2011

I actually really like Klamath Falls. I'm from the Portland Metro area and I came down here to go to OIT for a Bachelor's degree, but ended up moving here permanently. There are a lot of nice neighborhoods, and because cost of living is so much lower than most places, a lot of people end up moving up here from California and building huge nice houses along the lakes or up on Nob Hill or out in the new subdivisions. There are older not so nice neighborhoods as well, but even they aren't usually bad so long as you don't move into the Mill's Edition. Klamath Falls is spread out so there has to be two or three of everything so that you don't have to go to the other end of town to get to a business. Example: Currently there are two Safeway's, three McDonalds, three Burger Kings, two Taco Bells, five Subways, five Dutch Bros, etc etc. We also have the Super Center 24 hour Wal-Mart which is nice. This city has a small town feel even though it's spread out and actually has a lot of businesses. Rush hour traffic is nothing. It might take you 10 minutes to get home in non-rush traffic, and 11 to get home during rush hour. I don't know about the public schools, but there is a good Christian pre-school -12th grade school called Hosanna. We like it here because it's pretty but also because there's so much outdoors stuff to do. We are within 30 minute driving distance of 6 or 7 sport lakes. You don't want to swim in the lakes here in town but they're good for boating, and kayaking. There's also Moore Park which is just beautiful and very large. It goes up into the hills and you can hike and bike. There's also a lot of hunting, fishing, off-roading, and other hiking opportunities close by. Not to mention the Lava Beds (caves) just south of the California border.

Next >>GENERAL