Knoxville, Tennessee Comments

"Does it snow in Knoxville?"

Does it snow in Knoxville? - 12/20/2008
13 9
Bp

Knoxville has an incredibly mild climate with 4 beautiful and distinct seasons. In winter it can snow here, but rarely does. It occasionally gets below freezing, usually occuring only at night. The coldest months are January and February where the coldest it usually gets hovers around freezing. Knoxville gets alot of rain in the winter and occasionally it ices up. If it does snow here, it usually is just a few flakes and doesn't accumulate. Knoxville has had some big snow storms in the past, but I have lived here for 5 years and I have yet to see a significant snowfall.

With the exit of winter comes my favorite season in Knoxville - SPRING!!! At the end of March it starts warming up and the lush vegetation and beautiful flowering plants start to come to life. By the end of April, Knoxville is at the heighth of beauty. Simply leaving the house to drive to work is a pleasure as the beauty of the colorful spring here is breathtaking.

By May it starts to warm up and get more humid. Our summers, however, are just as mild as our winters. It rarely hits a hundred degrees in the summer and I have been surprised at how nice and mild our summers are as I anticipated much hotter and humid weather. The hottest and most humid months would be August and September.

Starting in October comes another breathtaking season - Fall! The leaves slowly change colors, the humidity drops and the temperature is perfect. This lasts all the way until the middle of November. Tourists flock to the Smoky Mountains to see the changing colors and the hills in Knoxville are just filled with the deepest shades of red, yellow and orange.

If you can't tell, I really like it here in Knoxville. It truly is a hidden gem of the USA and a great place to live.

back to Knoxville, Tennessee Add a New Comment Report Abuse

Login to reply to Comments. (Membership is Free)

More Knoxville, Tennessee Comments

GetReal

If you are thinking of moving here, or anywhere ne - 11/22/2016

Oh how we wish we had never moved to the Knoxville area! We researched everything before we did, but we had no idea about how low quality the people are here. We've been here 10 years and we still can't figure out what the heck is wrong with these people. We are affluent, educated, hard-working, loving, and social. We have the same values they espouse (but don't live up to), and we are ethnically like the large majority here. I could tell you stories about east Tennesseans and our interactions with them that would astonish you. We've tried everything to integrate and learn to like them over the course of the 10.5 years we have lived here. We have not made a single friend from this area. Our only friends are from elsewhere. They are only friendly if they think they can get something out of you, and when they do they don't even appreciate it - it just makes them want more. We've hired them, paid them more than they are worth, and STILL they don't do what you ask, don't show up on time (or at all), and lie even when the truth would work better to their advantage. Their words about being friends, are just words, there is no follow through. Yes, it is beautiful, inexpensive, conservative, has lots of churches (yah, get them outside of the building and see how they actually act), and there are tons of things to do outside (we like the weather at least), but the people have ruined it for us. We can't wait to get the heck away from these dishonest, lazy, distasteful, people. And get this - I grew up in KY! You would think they would at least be accepting of people from the south. Many places are hostile to Californians (even Texans who are the greatest people in the US), but these people are hostile to anyone not from their 20 mile radius. I've lived in Owensboro KY, Bowling Green, KY, Dallas, and Thousand Oaks, CA and I've never had trouble with people, until now. We have two homes here, one on the lake in Rockwood, TN and one in the city of Knoxville. Our girls have gone to school in both places, and even though they've lived here their whole lives they have trouble making REAL friends. Once you scratch the surface of the people here (even the kids) you find hostility, depression, negativity, big egos (totally unwarranted), and exclusion. Yes, it is beautiful, yes we could afford to build our dream home, yes the outdoor activities are fabulous, yes the schools are reasonably good within the city (NOT the country area), and yes we had such high hopes when we moved here, but NO it has not worked out for us - we are OUT of here ASAP!

GainesvilleFL
Gainesville, FL

Impressed after a visit - 4/21/2016

We visited last month after receiving a job offer. We live in Gainesville Fl now and we love it here, but the job opportunity makes it worthwhile to consider moving. Knoxville struck me as what Gainesville might be like in 30 years: a bigger city with an excellent University and a highly educated, diverse culture. The restaurants were excellent, the people were very welcoming, and the apartments and houses that we checked out were all very reasonably priced. Definitely considering the move!

Harry P.

Dismal - 4/20/2016

Dismal cesspool of a town inhabitant by degenerate people.

Valori

Allergies - 3/11/2016

This is not a good place to live if you have asthma or allergies!

Knoxville Website Designers

Could have culture shock! - 3/8/2016

I've been reading the comments, and I can definitely see how some people may have culture shock moving here. Also,l the hesitancy to accept outsiders sometimes trickles down into the school system. Think about this, there are people who have lived here for generations. The preferential treatment of the "Good Ole Boy" network is alive and well and evident in both the workplace and at churches.

Mariela

Boring - 1/26/2016

This is a pretty city due to a gloomy 120 rainy days per year. Not much to do, unless you like football and bible studies.

Robert

HIT THE ROAD! - 12/27/2015

To all of you who have moved to Knoxville from ANYWHERE else, I say this: If you don't like it here, the same highway that brought you here will take you right back where you came from so I suggest you make use of that information and GET OUT! I might even be willing to take a couple of days off work to help you pack. To those of you who say Knoxvillians are rude, I say this: What is rude is to move to a city by your own choice and then make ugly comments about how horrible it is. We did not force you to come here so if you don't like it here LEAVE!!!

Eddie
Menifee, CA

KNOXVILLE ROCKS! - 6/14/2015

Your cup is going to be either half full or half empty. That's up to you in ALL aspects of life. If you 'THINK' Knoxville is wonderful or you 'THINK' Knoxville is horrible, you'll be right! If you DO move to Knoxville, commit to a positive outlook and enjoy the rest of your life.

Jill
Cameron, NC

Visit Knoxville and see for yourself! - 1/18/2015

I have not lived in Knoxville but I have visited it several times. My husband was there for 3 weeks last year to open a new restaurant. I came and stayed with him while he was there. I found Knoxville to be very pleasant. We are from the north, well Ohio so not THAT much more north than Tennessee but I digress. I found the people to be extremely nice. We are HUGE Ohio State Buckeyes fans and one of us is usually wearing something with an OSU logo on it. In other cities we have lived in or visited, we've encountered rudeness and taunting simply because we wear our scarlet and gray proudly. This WAS NOT the case in Knoxville. We stopped at a Dick's sporting goods store to pick up a UT Volunteers shirt for our son. He likes to collect college shirts from all the places we've been. Of course, my husband was wearing an Ohio State t-shirt. A random guy shopping at the store stopped us and we had a lovely conversation about college football. He was a life long resident of Knoxville. Then, at the checkout, the cashier and my husband had a lengthy chat about the Volunteers and Buckeyes. All in all, we left the store with high opinions of the "locals". In fact, all of our interactions with the locals was pleasant. From restaurants, grocery stores to gas stations. I have read up on the air and water quality in Knoxville. I did not notice anything bad about the water when I was there and the air was clear and beautiful. I've seen it mentioned on several websites so I've been reading up on it. Yes, it seems like there are air quality issues in and around Knoxville. I attribute that to the mountains and years and years of coal mining. It seems the EPA is working quite hard to reverse these issues. Same goes with the water. The only thing I do agree with that I've read is that people seem to drive really fast there. I was doing 70 on one of the major highways but might as well been doing 35 for the way I was being passed. That aside, I look forward to moving to Knoxville. There seems to be plenty of jobs in my line of work (medical) and my husband's (restaurant management). There is no state tax, gas is cheaper there than where we currently live (North Carolina) and the housing market is booming. Rocky Top here we come soon I hope!

Elizabeth
Powell, TN

Knoxville, TN - 10/7/2014

My opinion is that Knoxville has so much to offer to all types of people. If you love to cycle/walk/run, we have great greenways. Have a boat? I can't begin to talk about all the great areas you can explore by boat...Norris Lake is my favorite. Pull your boat right up to the marinas for food and entertainment. Whether you are single or have a family, there is something for everyone. Market Square in downtown Knoxville and The Old City are definitely worth a visit. Night life is great as well. Movies on Market Square, Boomsday (google that), Mardi Growl, Biscuit Festivals, Chili Cook off, Rossini Festival and soo much more! Also we have Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg within a short distance. No boredom to be had here. There is always something going on in AND around Knoxville that you are sure to find plenty of life out there within a short distance.

Laura
Saint Petersburg, FL

Murfreesboro vs. Knoxville? - 8/5/2014

I'm debating between a teaching position in Murfreesboro and Knoxville. I am a single 42 year old who is a personal trainer & fitness competitor, and enjoys being involved with church activities. Can anyone recommend one city over the other? I'm relocating from St. Pete/Clearwater, Fl. Ideally, I'd like an area that offers southern charm, friendly folks, festivals, restaurants, sporting events, hiking, boating, and biking/runner friendly. Of course the potential for meeting quality, Christian men would be an added bonus! I'm torn between the areas surrounding Murfreesboro and Knoxville! Thank you!!!

jeanne
Deland, FL

Knoxville is a nasty place to live - 11/6/2013

I have spent moved a lot so believe me when I tell you that Knoxville is one ugly place. It is dirty, the air is filthy, the water is disgusting, there is radioactive waste in groundwater, cell phone towers and power lines protruding from the landscape, meth labs galore, nuclear plants, uranium plants, body farm, traffic, radon in half the homes, and a ridiculous housing market that is so inflated it's almost criminal. The people who live here are some of the most unattractive people I have ever seen. Many are deformed and mutant like. So not only is the city itself rated the ugliest city in America, the people are too.

jeanne
Deland, FL

Huge mistake moving to this hell hole - 11/6/2013

There are so many reasons to hate knoxville - filthy air,radon, lousy water, traffic, hillbillies, cell phone towers every 5 feet, power lines every where, nuclear plants, uranium plants, body farm, and ignorant sloppy people. Now one would think that with all the other negatives to the area that one would be able to find a nice home for a reasonable price, but you would be wrong. The construction quality is criminal at best. No one up dates their houses yet they ask prices as though it were midtown Manhattan. The also act like they are doing you the favor by taking your money for the crap house. House hunting in Farragut in particular has been the most miserable experience to date and we have moved many times. The entire experience has been so bad(which I won't go into on this post) that I have been advised to lodge a formal complaint with the board of realtors. So do not be fooled into thinking that Knoxville is a nice place to live, it is not

Honest

Knoxville is a horrible place to live - 10/25/2013

Knoxville is a horrible place to live. The people are mean, noisy, dirty and they will rob you as soon as look at you. They absolutely hate people from anywhere other than Knoxville. Yankees are scorned from the minute you open your mouth. My wife and i have lived here for over 18 years. We are finally moving back to the north where we belong. Jobs are scarce if you don't work for the university or one of the crooked utility companies. Traffic is horrible because every hillbilly with a car thinks he is a race car driver. With two interstates crossing roads here, the pollution is unbearable. Please, don't move here. YOU WILL REGRET IT.

Steve

Knoxville Living - 10/3/2013

What more could you ask for: City Vibe, small town feel A sports haven Low cost of living Close to mountains -- run up to have a picnic lunch and be back in time to pick the kids up at school Great medical facilities No better place if you love ORANGE It is a paradise for young and old

Allison

Never Move To Knoxville - 9/26/2013

I hate Knoxville, been here since May and it is nothing but a dirty town with fake people, poor job opprotunity, and no activities for a 19 if you aren't enrolled in the college. Diversity here goes straight from White Trash to Ghetto to Hipster. I am doing all I can to get back to Nahville where the lifestyle is actually enjoyable

Walter
Woodstock, CT

Nice city - 7/8/2013

We are relocating to the Knoxville area for several reasons! It's a nice area, the political climate is conservative and even though there are more democraps in Knoxville than the surrounding areas there aren't enough to cause the fiscal and social catastrophies they cause wherever they predominate, and can be. controlled with roach spray! The cost of living is quite reasonable, I have the right to defend myself and and the gun laws sane! No income tax is an attraction and plenty of jobs for those that actually want to work! Since we don't call 911, there is zero concern about the crime rate and someone mentioned that they were a former Knoxville police officer and that crime is under reported..... I have to note that minor crime is categorized and under reported in every jurisdiction, but it's tough to hide violent crime and really those numbers tend to be statistically correct! We are leaving the northeast because of the absolute infestation of democraps, fiscal insanity, insane taxes, stupid and flatly ineffective gun laws, a society devoid of manners and an overall preponderance of ignorance.

Brett

Median home price - 4/29/2013

The median home price in 2013 is around $140,000

Richard

Nice.. - 3/15/2013

Farragut is a very nice place to live.

Richard

Nice place to live... - 3/15/2013

The far Western part of Knox County is a delightful place to settle.

Next >>CLIMATE