Portland, Oregon Comments

"From Dallas to Portland"

From Dallas to Portland - 7/31/2011
2 0
Olivia

I have been a little discouraged to read some of the reviews on here. I suppose that when someone loves their city, they're less likely to take to the internet to tell about it (probably because they're out enjoying themselves). However, I'm considering moving closer to family and Portland seems like a great place. I'm originally from So. Cal. I hated the congestion and crime. I've also lived in the mid-West (cruel, harsh winters). Currently, I live in Dallas, TX.

Most of the reviews list the dreary climate as a huge negative. I'd like to hear from some people who don't really mind it all that much and how they go about mitigating some of the effects of seasonal depression. Yes, it's sunny in Texas, but most of the time it's either too hot or too cold to get outside and enjoy it. This year has been particularly bad with 30+ days of 105+ degree heat.

Someone here complained that Oregonians are not quick to be friendly and that the overall social climate is rather hostile. This is exactly how I feel about Dallas. It's really a melting pot so, the myth of "Southern hospitality" is just that - a myth. Since Texas wasn't hit nearly as hard as the rest of the nation, our real estate market is in a little better condition. However, we have had a HUGE influx of people from the coasts and over the last 2 years, prices have shot through the roof. I wouldn't mind paying 15% more in for housing if it means that there are things to do other than eat and shop! Not to mention, the school districts here are some of the worst in the nation and the homeless population is astounding.

Despite all that, I don't think Dallas is a horrible place to live and I'd choose it over most major cities. The question I'm trying to answer is even if I were making a lateral adjustment on the elements of crime, friendliness, real estate, homeless/unemployed statistics, and the cost of living...how gray is too gray to play outside?

back to Portland, Oregon Add a New Comment Report Abuse

Login to reply to Comments. (Membership is Free)

More Portland, Oregon Comments

joe

Do Not Move to Portland If you Can Help It - 1/16/2017

Don't believe the lies that the liberal media tells you about Portland. I have lived and worked in Portland for over 4 years now. I thought moving back to the Northwest was gonna be great but this town is soooo very nasty that I had to move outside the city to get away from it. Below is a list of Con's. 1. Expensive to live in. All the greedy owners keep jacking the rents. You can't find a decent home for less than 300,000. 2. Homeless Love this Liberal Tree Hugger City, they crap and Pee on the streets, Nasty Nasty streets. Feces can be seen every day, guess who has to clean it. The business owners. What do you expect from a city that has about 12 homeless shelters in a 10 mile radius and free food. They bum and pan handle every day, harassing office workers and tourist. 3. Drug City fur sure, meth, heroine, lots of hookers and stuff like that. The water front on NATO Parkway where I work is full of drug addict needles, the water and grass is full of them. They live under the bridges and through food and garbage on the streets every day. 4. If you got money police will fine you, if your a poor homeless person you get a free pass, no matter if you did something illegal. (No its true) 5. Taxes are through the Roof, they tax workers to pay for their social programs, 33 to 40% goes to state social programs, wow, thats a lot. 6. Cost of living is through the roof. Gas, Food, Lodging, The only thing here that is decent is the Public transportation System. Its really good. Almost like Germany System. Other than that I say its a really crappy town. I work for the Federal government and have lived all over the country. I would say cities that are more conservative are better to live in. I would not recommend the Liberal City of Portland as a 1st Choice.

Patty
Lake Oswego, OR

Odd place... - 1/15/2017

My husband and I are in our late 50s and grew up in Seattle. I also used to live in Tulsa and quite enjoyed it. We have been in the Portland area (PDX as it's known) for 17 years and this city is not for the politically faint of heart. The extreme liberal slant can cause the extreme right to come out as well. Not a lot of in between at least that you can talk about openly. It is one of the least "churched" areas in the country but there are church communities that are nice, but nothing like Tulsa. People are standoffish, smiley but not warm and unless you are totally into whatever they are into, strong bonds have been hard to come by. We have been fortunate to live in Lake Oswego and find a neighborhood that is very unusual, very nice people on our street that we've gotten to know. Lake Oswego is also very full of money and often full of itself, so we consider ourselves very lucky to have found nice ordinary folks. Saying that, the housing prices are around $500,000 for a very modest small home with very small yards right next to your neighbor. This isn't just in Lake Oswego, but in Portland as well. Portland has very high taxes, beware and the city always wants more. The groceries are very expensive, the roads are poor and they are trying to make bicycles the preferred mode of transportation. The schools all vary like any city, Lake Oswego schools are very good. The West side of Portland, Beaverton is crawling with people and the houses are cookie-cutter, but expensive. The traffic everywhere is horrible with few back routes. This winter has been another nightmare for the area as the city does not clean streets, but leaves people stranded at the top of hills til the snow melts. Oh, and the city streets are full of homeless people in tents. I hate to be so negative, but this place is not my cup of tea and we are considering relocating after retirement. Overall, this area is beautiful to look at when out travelling around and paradise if you ski, hike, drive a subaru and like travel to the beach on a regular basis. Otherwise, it's constantly raining except for the occasional summer sun. That's beginning to really get to me. Good luck, I hope you make the right decision.

Jubal

Portland Dec. 2016 - 12/17/2016

Portland is a great place to live but isnt the workers paradise it thinks it is..at least not anymore. I've been here 7 years and felt the pinch of rent doubling and wages lagging far behind the housing price increase. Local employers believe that $12 hour is a very high pay rate in a housing market where a 450 sq ft studio rents for $1195. The traffic problems are getting much worse. The recent snowstorm...a whopping 2 inches..! completely gridlocked the city and most suburbs, which is funny because NW natives blab ALOT about their immunity to harsh weather. Funnier still, natives think that any temps over 79F are "Extreme Heat Events" and complain ALL Summer long about the oppressive heat. Ore natives are generally friendly people unless they encounter a Californian. The food is great, varied and affordable. Hikers will be in heaven, the Gorge, Mt Hood, The Cascades are stupendous! Cycling of all types is supported here. City officials have gone the extra mile to include cycling in the traffic planning. The vast array of music shops, music venues and musical genres practiced is incredible. The rivers are a great asset. Taxation is high as it pertains to property and income, nonexistent when it comes to sales. Natives falsley believe that a .0000001 % sales tax would equate them with the Uber Evil California so they vote it down year after year and are very proud of that. The penchant for massive facial hair, manicured, unkempt as well as bizzare is as strong as ever. If your waiter didn't exude follicles in your salad you've been denied! Know this if you plan to move here: it IS beautiful, relaxing and a great outdoor playground and you will be submerged in dialogue reminding you of how much better the NW is than any other place on earth every single day, all year long. As for the rain trust me, the total rainfall has little to do with the fact that the sun disappears in early October and does NOT return until June. Unlike most climates, the NW sees a virtually permanent cloud cover for 9 months every year. The rain may stop from time to time but the moisture is held in and light held out by very thick constant clouds.

Erin
Tulsa, OK

Considering Relocation, suburb recommendations? - 11/24/2016

Hello, My husband is considering taking a job that would move us to Portland from Tulsa, OK. We are mid/late 30's and have two elementary age kids. It's a good paying management position and we could afford a home for $400k. We are Christians on the conservation side but open to opposing views. Fine with moderates and some liberal views, but, honestly, far left is concerning. We love sports, the outdoors, hiking, camping, skiing so OR looks awesome. We love what we've heard about Portland food, craft beer, wine, and coffee. We're very down-to-earth not at all hipster but to each his own. So, would Portland work for us? Recommendations on suburbs with great schools, no more than 30min commute to downtown, and lean conservative? Would also love a good-sized lot, our kids are used to a big back yard as our current home is a little over a 1/2 acre. Thanks!

Co Co

The kids' table - 6/6/2016

But now I'm done. Have lived here for over a decade and am leaving, finally. Portland is a wonderful city with great potential. Problem is, there's a wide streak of ineptitude and arrogance that makes accomplishing things more difficult than it has to be. Yes, on the surface, the customer service is friendly, but if you require one iota of effort beyond what's normally offered, that smile turns into a snarl real quick. Portland is ruled by the Peter Principle (people are promoted to the level of their incompetence). You will find here that you use the phrase "You had one job" way more than you thought humanly possible. And there are several realities that I have come to just accept: Never try doing business on a Monday (too close to the weekend), don't expect cheerful service in a restaurant on a Sunday (staff hung over). Forget doing business on a Friday (almost the weekend) or having anyone here conduct any commercial transaction with anything resembling "hustle" (needing things quickly and efficiently is perceived as you being "pushy"). And to those who say "it doesn't rain as much as they say," you must have come here in an off year, because it was November through June for all 11 years I was here, with a few exceptions. And actually, that's kind of good, because it explains the demeanor of the people. They aren't intentionally slow and cranky, it's just physiologically impossible to maintain a good mood without sunlight, and that's a scientifically proven fact. As for the overall vibe, I'm the rare older person (40s) who's not scornful of hipster culture. I can appreciate what the kids of Portland are doing with their artisanal food and their beards. I also realize with youth comes a certain amount of trial an error on things like service and other person-to-person skills. Problem is, the desire to be young forever bleeds into all age groups, and what you get are 55-year old business owners acting like they're 25 too. I've heard grey haired shop owners talk disparagingly about their customers in front of me, I've had middle aged store keepers ignore me as they gossiped with other middle-aged workers, and I've endured all sorts of inept f*ckery from people who had outgrown the spacy-is-cute phase of their lives like 20 years ago. And don't ever expect anyone to be contrite about their lame service, because that requires admitting a mistake, which seems physically impossible to some folks here. Bottom line: at some point, you have to be a grownup, but it seems like no one really wants to here, because it involves taking risk and being exposed to challenge. That's fine, not everyone needs to be a type-A high powered shark, but there is a benefit to everyone doing whatever job they have really well. That's how cities become great, not simply by saying they are like Portland does. Over all, if you want to act like a kid forever and avoid taking risks and live in a little protected bubble of groovy unreality, this is the place for you. And PS, it's not like I'm a Republican or anything. My politics actually veer toward the radical. I just have a work ethic that says even if you are scrubbing a toilet, you try to be the best toilet scrubber there is even if your ego tells you are really a rockstar.

Laya

over it - 3/22/2016

Lived here for over a decade. This city ous not what it used to be. This place is too liberal for its own good. Mayor has a hand off policy regarding crime and homeless.The cost of living has sky rocketed making property taxes obscenely high. i do, however, enjoy the climate and many options of things to do. I miss you old portland.

Jacquie

Portland pros and cons - 1/10/2016

I moved to Portland in 2012, so I'm still a relative newcomer. Before coming to Portland, I lived in Santa Cruz, Mt. View, Gilroy, and Palo Alto -- all cities in California. Weather It doesn't rain as much as everyone says it does. When it does rain, it's more of a drizzle. Summers are hot -- over 90 degrees every day for several weeks -- and the sunshine is intense. Spring and Fall are gorgeous. Winter is dreary, but it doesn't get very cold (45 degrees during the day) and snow is rare. Housing Prices have escalated during the past three years, especially in close-in neighborhoods that used to be very affordable. Lower income people are being priced out. Affordable housing and homelessness are the top two issues here. Small affordable homes are being demolished to make way for larger more expensive homes, condos, and apartments. Houses have appreciated by more than 20 percent in some areas since 2012. Restaurants If you're into good food, Portland is the place to be. Lots of variety, quality ingredients, and low prices are the norm here. The neighborhood farrmers markets are great if you like to cook. Culture Lots of small independent theatres, book stores, and galleries. Last year I saw 2001 a Space Odyssey in 70mm at the Holywood Theatre And attended several plays at a converted church within walking distance of my house (Portland Playhouse).

Joe

Beautiful Region - 10/7/2015

If your a hiker this is an amazing place to live. The Coast, Columbia Gorge and Mt Hood will keep you busy for years. Portland, as a city is average at best, but the outdoor life truly makes up for it. The only thing that- I'm tired of is the endless decades long, immature and ignorant bashing of Californian's by a rather large contingency of under-achieving hippy dips. Most everyone else living here has a connection to California in some manner and welcomes them and everyone else with open arms.

Keith

Portland quick overview. - 2/20/2015

Portland is a great town, but real estate is very expensive. Urban growth boundary prevents suburban sprawl, but there are some nice nearby towns if PDX is out of your price range. Portland is split mainly East-West by the Willamette river and North-South by Burnside street creating four main areas: NE, NW, SE, and SW. Downtown Portland is in SW, but the rest of SW is not really in a gridded format but more windy with street layout. NW has a mix of grid and chaotic street layout as it's built into the hills of the city. SE and NE is highly urbanized and gridded. Mass transportation options connect all these areas very well.

Ted
Fairview, OR

decline - 2/9/2015

See: Kitzaber

Kelsi
Bend, OR

In response to "A Place Where People Don't Shower - 12/23/2014

Your experience is interesting, considering Portland is one of the least religious cities in America. (Researchers found the greater area of Portland, OR-WA to be the least religious city with about 32 percent identifying as a religious adherent according to Huffington Post and a 2012 Gallup Poll still finds Oregon to be one of the most un-churched states in the country.) I could reach for the low hanging fruit and simply point out that you misspelled laughable as laffable. But instead, I will point out that perhaps you shouldn't rely on a NY Times article and "short visits" to be your primary motivation to relocate. Did you actually interact with folks during these short visits? Did you visit more than one neighborhood, as they are all very dynamic and different, offering some sub cultures who like to smile and some who don't? I know this world can be a cold place, but believe it or not, not everybody's soul has grown so cold that they do not care to make pleasant, humane small talk with customers who they rely on for their business. Some people still actually like people, and see them as such. So I'm sorry, that must have been very rough for you to have people look you in the eye and treat you like a real person as you supported their business. And I'm wondering, were you wearing a t-shirt to let people know that you were in fact NOT a "proud Oregonian" so they knew to give you those icy cold stares that you attribute to them knowing that you were not a "proud Oregonian?" Or was it the icy cold stares that you were preemptively giving them in anticipation of the coldness you believed they would give you? Did they actually voice that they were afraid of you taking their job? Or was that again, perhaps your own paranoia? Did you ever consider that they were…what do they call it…oh yeah: genuinely interested in you? And it's not that Portland "thinks" they are a big city with world-class restaurants. They ARE a big city—or at least a major city—with world-class restaurants (recently voted 3rd best food in the nation). And if you don't like bone marrow ice cream: don't eat it. Must you be threatened by creativity and artisanship? And with 90% with a high school degree and 30% with a college degree or higher and 19 4-year colleges in the Portland metro-area, I think it's safe to say Portlanders have brain cells (and at least most of their teeth).

Charles

"Whoever is responsible for PR in this city is an - 11/6/2014

Portlanders brag that the best thing about Portland is that within a short drive in any direction you can find beautiful wilderness and outdoor activities. Very true. Unbeatable landscape out there. My neighbors tell me our neighborhood is good because it's easily accessible to the highway. And I agree: The best thing about the place is how easy it is to leave.

S
Happy Valley, OR

Great Arts Climate - 10/10/2014

Portland makes the arts accessible to everyone. All ages, all incomes. There are amazing opportunities to enjoy music, theater, visual arts, crafts across cultures and ethinicities.

Angel

Portland is only good for a very few - 10/7/2014

I've lived in Portland off and on for years since the mid-1970s (been here taking care of family). Portland as a whole likes to believe it's very "livable", and "cool", and "weird", but Portland is mostly just self-congratulation and conformity. It's just an odd city little city that still hasn't become what it claims it has been all along. Like most places, most of Portland hasn't recovered from the Great Recession. For example, more and more jobs here require a college degree for work that doesn't require a college education (I've seen receptionist jobs requiring a 4 year degree), and want to pay you $12 an hour part time. Portland's biggest problem, however, is that Portland's economy was ridiculous even before the Great Recession - and it had been even back into the 1970s. It's just not ever been able to be a "big player" like Seattle or San Francisco, and never been able to attract much industry/tech that actually puts good money into the local economy (e.g., sure, Nike is here - but the people making Nike shoes are thousands of miles away being paid slave wages). This never changes about Portland, and all the bluster and bragging from the local government, et al, doesn't change that. So unless you are already a person of money, don't come expecting to do well or find a good job here. Could it happen? Sure it could. But you could win big playing Bingo at the casino, too. Portland, despite it's love of "diversity", is just as guilty as everyone else of demanding conformity to whatever ideal is held by a person at the time. I've been in bike shops where bike repair techs make speeches about how "fat" people are destroying the world. I've been in "diversity" trainings where the "liberal" instructor would only recognize certain groups as part of the "diversity" of the human world and USA culture. I overheard a well-off hipster neighbor accusing a working class tenant of being "classist" because she didn't agree with the hipster's politics. Again - it's all ridiculous. But it's Portland. Note too that the cost of living here is high, especially housing. Not as bad as Seattle or San Fran, but high enough that you are going to pay most of your income for rent on even a basic or crappy place (which is going to hurt even more if all you can get for a job here is part time low wage). You can also save money by living with a lot of roommates, if you don't mind living like you are 20 years old your whole life. This is just Portland. Add to all this that too many people here think that if you are offended by their intentional body odor you are "oppressing" them, that many people here over-smoke so much marijuana that a good deal of their brain cells are gone, and that people who drive $60,000 vehicles and live in $400,000 are the top pushers of "simple living" and "environmental" protection - and it all adds up to Portland. So, if you love marijuana, radical left or right politics, don't mind a crappy economy, and don't mind listening to a lot of blowhards talk constantly about how "great" and "weird" and "booming" it is here, come to Portland. Otherwise, you'd find more what you're looking for elsewhere.

Danna B.
Bend, OR

Rain - 9/24/2014

Rain, Rain, Rain.

john

You can do most anything you can think of within a - 8/21/2014

From laser tag to live music, Portland is located within a few minutes drive to most any activity you can think of. There are smaller venues playing local bands all the way up to the MODA center which hosts the national phenoms. Within a 2 hour drive from portland you can find camping, fishing, skiing, ocean activities, lakes and rivers,hiking and any other outdoor activity you can imagine. Within a few hours you have great wolf Lodge, two state fairgrounds, multiple casinos, and plenty of night life for the adults. Traffic is bad on I205 and I5 from about 8am till 7pm, and the rain sucks, but other than that Portland is a wonderful place to live.

Want to move

I want to move, but don't think Portland is bad as - 5/26/2014

I've lived in Portland for 10 years and I do want to move, but mostly because of the weather and my severe outdoor allergies. If you have any outdoor allergies stay away!! I have lived all over the United States and trust me there are worse places to live. It is very liberal here so if you are conservative or have negative thoughts about groups of people you should probably keep it to yourself. Bring a lot of money with you it's expensive. I was in good financial shape when I moved here and now I'm in terrible financial shape, of course we did just go through a terrible recession. Keep Portland Weird is mostly men dressed in drag, they are mostly harmless. I work downtown and there are a lot of homeless. It drizzles here most of the year. Drip, drip, drip. It's overcast and humid most of the time. There is only about two months of good weather here if you're lucky. When there is a random few days of good weather it feels like a miracle. You really have to watch out for the pedestrians and people on bikes. They don't obey the traffic laws and if you hit one with your car it is your fault no matter what they are doing. If you have money there is all kinds of stuff to do here. So the bottom line is if you have money and don't mind never seeing the sun and being damp and chilly all the time Portland isn't such a bad place.

Starbuck
Fallbrook, CA

Portland, Oregon is a Nightmare Weird - 4/25/2014

After reading a few of the reviews about Portland, had to enter my response. Yes, it is the most weirdest place and corrupt for that matter than anywhere else I have lived. If you are planning to move here be careful what you say to people as the people of Portland are always in a bad mood (undoubtedly due to the rain) and don't even know it and do not under any circumstance sign one of Oregon's non competition contracts if you are working for a company. Lawyers are corrupt to the hilt in Oregon and buy off judges at a moments notice to get their way in court and the biggest kicker of all. Don't ever catch a pedophile in Oregon molesting some child; you will be sorry as the police protect these deviant people at all costs including Catholic priests. Just do some research on line for all the information about this subject in Portland. I believe the Oregon constitution's main jist is the protection of deviant lifestyles and police are ordered not to intervene if though they have committed crimes against normal people. Portland,Oregon, yes, is a very weird place... whacky, delusional, corrupt.... stay away at all costs if you value your finances and sanity.

Jasmyn
Tualatin, OR

Keep Portland Weird - 1/12/2014

Portland is filled with weird people looking for a good time. Oregon is one of the best places for customer service because youll find people here actually care about other people. We look out for eachother whether you moved here 40 years ago or 6 months ago. We dont care. Dont try to change Portland. We are weird and we are proud. But we also accept everyone. <3 welcome to oregon!

Alex

Listen to the masses - 1/12/2014

Would be appreciative if 1,000 more people would add to this thread about how horrible Portland is. People who are thinking of moving, or have recently moved, or contemplating moving, need that extra push to decide. Yes, people think Portland is expensive, uneducated, fake polite, boring, hate the rain, no one will make friends with them, taxrs too high, nothing to do, can't make a profitable living,, were duped by the hype to move here, have home marrow ice cream, be transported to the ozarks but it's really Portland, pushy small Christian business owners will try to convert you, Buddhists will try to convert you, takes 16 years to make a friend,, trains only drive a straight line-north to south and easy to west,ridiculous traffic, and let's not foreget....Portland is white, oh so very white. ( I always thought it was gray and gray blue.... So in a nutshell, there you have it. Portland is the worst....the absolute WORST place to move because it will not meet your expectations and it definitely is not a "lovely" place to be spend hell in. Please, for the love of God and all that is organic DO NOT MOVE HERE.

Next >>CLIMATE