Select a New Section:

Unknown
Denver

Start Your Review of Denver, CO

1/22/2018
Music and more - not bad for a big city
Keep in mind, I am not a city girl! I grew up in rural environment, and have lived in cities, but don't like them too much really.

So I have a lot of good to say about Denver. BUT keep in mind, I did many things there, but my residence was never actually there - I commuted from nearby communities.

But Denver had so much opportunity. I had the best Classical guitar instructor there. I bet he thinks I no longer play, but that's not the case - I sure do! Because of his patience and dedication in teaching me - I am hugely grateful!

I played guitar all over the place, and it was truly appreciated. People were encouraging too.

I was welcomed to be in the schools ( I usually Teach), but did not try it. I think I would have been given a chance, though.

Churches - I am not sure really. I attended one in the southern area of Denver once and it was ok, but in the end, not too good. However, it gave me some chances in music, and I appreciate them for that.

Denver just had many possibilities. I have not really been there for a while - I was there briefly earlier this year, but mostly live someplace else now.

I think Colorado in general has gone downhill since I left in 2015. But it was always good to me (except when I return in 2015 it was not).

Colorado and all up/ down the front range was home for a long time. I love it really - but I doubt I will return there. Too expensive now, and I wasn't very welcomed to come back.

But it was one of the best places I ever lived, prior to 2015.
I truly think the liberal attitude might have become too much that way - I also think the legalization of marijuana really adversely affected Colorado! Sorry to say that and I'll probably get hate comments but whatever.

I just saw it really go downhill after that (and lived there a long time before that).

12/6/2017
Sad to write this because I LOVED DENVER
Denver has had crazy growth and the city hasn't been able to keep up with the growth. Traffic is HORRIBLE and Housing is out of reach for whats left of the middle class. Gentrification is spreading nearly unchecked. The Quality of life I moved here for in the mid 90's is threatened everyday by the exodus from California and other places that are more expensive than Denver. That has driven the costs of housing out of reach. If salaries had kept up with the constant rising costs there wouldn't be such a rub. But, like many, my salary is not much more now than it was 15 years ago but the cost of EVERYTHING is higher.

12/5/2017
Denver - I love you!
Denver is one of the best places to live in the US - that's the reason the population has been exploding here. Gorgeous mountains and nature, great climate (300 days/year of sunshine and blue sky), no hurricanes or other natural disasters, nice balance between culture and outdoor activities, great restaurants and bars, friendly and outgoing people. I have no problem connecting with people and have tons of friends (Americans as well as from many different countries, by the way!). The only problem is time - as there is so much to do always. Among my favorite things to do would be attending concerts at the Denver performing Arts center or Red Rocks, skiing or hiking on weekends, going out with friends and trying different places to eat (many food entrepreneurs came out of Colorado), and going to First Fridays Art walks. Denver is bustling with energy and life - I work downtown and love walking to work in the morning passing 16th street mall. I also travel a lot and Denver compares well to many international destinations. Btw, Colorado sunsets are absolutely amazing - I've never seen sunsets like here anywhere else!

11/29/2017
Denver metro used to be so great, what happened?
I lived in the denver metro area for 4 years total, first 11 years ago, then coming and going, but driving through area for long time. It used to be so cool, no smog, traffic bearable, not too crowded in the foothills and mountains, reasonable rent.... then marijuana law came in, then tech companies came in, then people moved there from other more expensive areas and it just exploded. Now outrageous rent despite salaries not keeping on par. Crowds, worse traffic, attitudes from the young "hipsters" displacing the poor and thinking they somehow invented it all. It's a shame really. I had to move away too expensive. But what really got to me was CO folks were always so nice. Now its all snark and sneer. :(

10/28/2017
Disappointing Denver
Loved Denver up until the passing of the marijuana laws. The taxes were great for the city BUT it's killed the quality of life. Vagrants and hoards of homeless, parks and greenbelts are filled with them. The Broadway Bridge sidewalk between Lincoln & Broadway and 6th and 7th are thick with unslightly heaps of stuff; grocery carts line the Cherry Creek path. 'Travelers" along the 16th St Mall help themselves to diners' food & drink; robberies skyrocketing; people sleeping on walks; hardly a corner without panhandling; walk out of any building along Colfax and you're approached by someone asking for money. Cheap looking highrises renting at exorbitant prices; highrises not including enough parking spaces for # of units/tenants main street parking worse than before (tenants in Cherry Creek began parking at the Cherry Creek Mall to the point the mall added paid parking barriers (1st hour free). I-25 is trash lined. Traffic has become horrible, infrastructure not ready for the masses. A once wonderful, civilized city now disgraceful and grungy, and sad. We want our old Denver back, please.

10/21/2017
Update 6 Months Later - I'm Out
I left, but will always be back periodically to visit. Some things that really pushed me over the line:

1. Dating scene continued to be lacking. Not sure if it's because people have less oxygen going to the brain at high altitude or Denver just attracts nut jobs in general. I'm thinking a combination of both. I have several other guy friends who have been taken advantage of my women over the last few months as well.

2. The city is expanding in the most obnoxious ways. 16 wheeler trucks and cement mixers are everywhere. There is constant traffic and nobody seems to want (or care) of how to drive properly. Road lanes are often blocked out for construction of apartment complexes and office buildings. I almost got run over by an Asian lady driving a white Subaru while crossing the street and having the right of way signal - sadly I'm not making this up.

3. Service at bars and restaurants continues to suck. I can't get over this one - don't make me wait 10 minutes for a drink while you converse with your co-workers after getting high in the alleyway. Denver has a very weird slash cliquey service culture. It's extremely unprofessional.

4. Awful pet owners. Seriously, why do owners not put their dogs on leashes? I've been chased by several dogs over the last year and each time the owner was like "it's fine, he's friendly." Really, are you freaking serious? Your dog just chased me. The final straw with this was hearing a dog get run over by a car. It was the most awful sound I ever heard in my life.

5. Terrible apartment complex associations. Maintenance calls were ignored, they didn't take out the trash in the common areas for 3 weeks while they sold the building to another company. It took them 4 days to clean up the laundry room after a homeless person defecated there in the middle of the night. This would all be against California Law BTW, but Denver sure as hell is not going to care.

I'm preserving the good memories, but people need to think twice before relocating here. Denver needs to start conducting "exit interviews" for people that leave on the quick.

10/17/2017
refer to Gigi's review
Gigi (below) really nailed it - I subletted there for eight weeks and couldn't believe how awful it was compared to all the good things I'd heard about it - it's essentially LA on the plains with better mountains, there's no THERE there. traffic is insane - driving from the southern end to rocky mountain national is like driving from long beach to the valley - and there are accidents CONSTANTLY because of the aggressive, bullying drivers. Denver pretty much defines sprawl - mile after mile of cheap housing and new condos except for some very nice areas downtown - and while the mountains are nice you'll be fighting traffic to get there, and all the nearby (say within two hour) trails will be crowded. Denver is essentially mile after sprawling mile of cheaply built overpriced housing and new condos, interspersed with tattoo parlors and pot shops -literally the only person I know there who likes it is an ex heroin addict who moved there to get into medical edibles and is trying to hold it together as an aging party girl while living in a house her boyfriend bought two decades ago when it was affordable, everyone else is getting out as soon as they can

10/4/2017
Dynamic place to live
In spite of the headaches associated with any large city on the rise, Denver is a wonderful place to live. Besides the obvious draw of the nearby Rocky Mountains and ski town playgrounds, Denver is a cultural hub now with a large, lively downtown, thriving arts, culinary and sports scenes, highly educated populace, colorful and varied neighborhoods, well-preserved historic 1880's architecture in Capitol Hill, beautiful parks gardens and tree-lined streets, and a compact, easy to navigate city with something for everyone. Oh, and the sunny full four-season climate is a fantastic draw for "glass half full" types.

8/18/2017
Overrated
So what you're looking at with Denver is really living in a mostly brown, open, flat terrain with the mountains in the background. It's very sunny and bright here with very little shade and tree canopy. The temperatures are nice in that there is no humidity and it often cools down at night. Many houses and neighborhoods here are quite drab and cheaply built. I feel that the Denver area is quite unattractive, sore on the eyes, and unenchanting, and there are so many things I miss about back East. Lush greenery, rolling soft mountains, more rain, grey days, tree canopies, large shaded and private yards, and access to the ocean. Everything out here seems overpriced, crowded, wide open, exposed, and yet crammed together. I feel landlocked out here away from other big cities. There's not much diversity and people tend to be kind of aloof, stoic, yet helpful and congenial if you engage them. Skiing is great but you must get up by 5am to beat the traffic. It's an extremely expensive pastime, and the mountains are too rugged for me. I like the more gentle mountains on the East Coast. I'm hoping to make it back to a softer, shadier, greener, gentler terrain back East soon!

6/22/2017
Great suburb between Boulder and Denver?
Looking for a nice suburb between Boulder and Denver. Broomfield, Thornton or Westminster? For young couple. Thank you.

5/30/2017
A good choice for those willing to work
Jobs are plentiful and most pay quite well about 60K on average. Housing in the city is expensive, but the towns West of Denver are beautiful places to live. There are still some good deals. The schools are good and people are very sociable.

4/22/2017
Better city's out there
Denver was really fun when I first moved there from Austin. TX. Immediately I missed the food in Austin, but I did find some nice places in denver. The watercourse Jerusalem Santiago's various taco spots. I missed Austin music scene and I had a better job in austin. Eventually I did get a "good" job in Denver but like the other posters said the wages are low there and the cost of living is high. There aren't very good university's in Colorado. I did an intenship at CU boulder and it's a OK school. Boulder is like a small bubble and it gets old really quick. Denver also seems small it's probably around the same size as Austin. I was tired of struggling so much in Denver I moved with family in NY. I am hoping to get my masters in NYC and see where that leads me. I will always miss denver and who knows maybe I will be back there one day. Cerventes is a cool music venue and laimar st also has some. There obviously a lot more like that in NY and Austin. Looking back denver seems immature compared to NY. It's good for potheads and people who don't know what to do with there life. I guess it can be helpful in figuring it out.

3/30/2017
Still Self-Evaluating - Too Much Midwest Influence
I've lived in Denver for a year and moved here for work from CA. I grew up in the NYC-metro area in the NJ suburbs. Let's just say I'm a rare breed and it was a "roll the dice" move on relocating to Denver.

I will say when they say it's the "Queen City of the Plains," It truly is. Despite all the transplants from CA, TX, or the Northeast, the city is molded by Midwesterners. It's "their" town, with their intoxicated passive aggressive rules. It's either fit in or get out. And to me that's a dysfunctional mindset to have.

I honestly go back and fourth. Last month with the exceptionally mild weather was pretty great. But when there are low, man, there are lows.

I echo many of the comments about how professionalism just isn't relevant or cared about out here. I was terminated from my old job for reasons that were unexplained. My bosses were totally aloof and had their heads literally up their a**es. Direct people in the work place are generally frowned upon - thankfully I found a new job with MUCH better and direct people.

The dating scene for a laid back, sarcastic, fun guy is cruel. Girls here are largely damaged and/or seriously dumb upstairs. Many like to take advantage and/or use you. One wrong move on a date (mannerisms, topics of conversation, jokes) and the date is dead on the table.

For a city that's so "chill" I've never met so many single women who aren't. Never have I been in so many heated arguments by pig headed thrill seekers or gold diggers. And good luck defending yourself even if you're right. You'll be berated by lying into how wrong you are. Honestly, I wouldn't consider Denver to be filled with intelligent people by any means.

Other lows include literally the worst drivers in the nation, dryness (always picking my nose,) a local population that is hooked on soft and hard drugs, rising cost of living. Coming from CA, I don't see traffic as too much of a problem.

As for the highs, coming into the fold within the last few months is literally realizing how within a year I've casually met friends, built a small network, and have become reliable. They have literally backed me up in a fight a few months ago. My friend network in CA was pretty dried up, so I'm grateful for them.

Also if you like drinking, Denver is your place. This place has a fun and walkable bar scene, even if the service tends to be slow and terrible (it is.)

I'm happy that I've met some great people, but I'm not convinced if it's enough to stay. Life is too short to be meeting oddball women and feeling drained by it.

3/12/2017
Mixed bag to say the least.
Can't give much of an accurate rating of Denver proper, but the metro area can be summed up quite nicely: Overpriced for what you get.

There are some nice aspects. The restaurant scene is fairly good in my opinion. Then again, I'm not a food connoisseur. But since Denver is such a melting pot, you can find decent replications of most cuisines around the country. Most chains usually make it here as well.

The amenities expected of a city are all here. You get big-name concerts, a decent art scene, blah blah blah. That said, if you're here for the arts and culture primarily, you'll be disappointed.

The weather is pretty fantastic most of the time. Sunny is the norm, without getting miserably hot or miserably cold for very long at a time. The freak hailstorms are kind of annoying, though. And the snow, though it doesn't come very often, can hit really hard, and then the transplants from the South don't know how to drive, which leads me to the cons...

Whoever designed Denver's road systems wants to watch the world burn. Who decided we needed one main north/south artery for a metro area of 2.8 million?? Predictably, I-25 gets extremely clogged at rush hour, as do most other highways in the metro area. Drivers are not particularly friendly either. They are allergic to letting anyone in their precious lane that belongs solely to them. They also drive really slowly in the fast lane. In short, anything goes when driving in Denver. And it will only get worse as people keep moving here.

Also, I don't know how Denver gets away with promoting itself as America's premiere mountain city. The entire city lies on the Eastern Plains, with a few of the outskirts flirting with the foothills. Sure, you can get to some decent mountain views within half an hour if you live on the western side of the metro, but on a daily basis you only get to look at ugly brown foothills. If you live on the eastern side, you get to see mountains on a daily basis, but then you're 45 minutes to an hour from the foothills even. Then, if you like skiing and live in Denver, have fun battling I-70 into the mountains. You'll be cursing everything while you try to make it up there. Even if you're not into skiing, you're at least two hours from any decent mountains. If you want a city with fantastic mountain views and quick mountain access, Salt Lake is your best bet (though it has problems in other areas).

The Denver metro is spectacularly ugly for most of the year. It is dead, brown, and smoggy. I do have to say that it can be really pretty in the summer when everything is green, but that usually lasts about a month or two and then it goes back to brown. As for downtown, it is dirty, gross, and crime happens way too frequently for me to want to spend much time there. They didn't even design anything to look very pretty. It's big-box skyscrapers.

To cap it all off, living is expensive and the costs are rising. It costs more to get a townhome in many parts of metro Denver than it does to get a nice house in the mountains (though good luck finding any sort of an income out there). Add that to the fact that the city is not all that impressive in many aforementioned areas. The metro area is not unlivable, but to me it is unacceptable to pay so much money for a sub-par living experience.

What really sucks is that Colorado overall is an awesome, beautiful state, but usually a person has to live in this overpriced hellhole to find gainful employment. I honestly do not understand why anyone would want to live here. I would rather move to another state in which I can live in a better area than have to live in Denver in order to stay in Colorado.

Of course, I am not really a city person to begin with, so maybe I'm not the best person to be reviewing a large metro area. The only thing that has kept me sane while I've lived here is the ability to escape into the wilderness. It is extremely depressing to come out of the mountains to see the big, ugly, sprawling mess that is Denver calling out, "Welcome home, back to real life, sucker!" I can't wait to get out of here.

If anyone has read this entire rant, congratulations. I probably wouldn't have read all of this if it was someone else's.

2/2/2017
since I cannot reply directly to peope's reviews
I agree with a few other reviewers who complained about the standoffish and unfriendly attitude of Denverites.
I've lived in a few other cities in the USA, and Denver is one of the most insular. Go to any bar on the weekend and you will find it very hard to talk to anyone, and nobody will approach you, whether you are alone at the bar, or with a friend (very approachable situation, normally). Even at outdoor festivals, people stick with their own groups here. It's like they have no interest in meeting other people. They just go out with a friend or 2 or 3, and only talk to those people all night long. It's very hard to get to know people here. In the grocery store, in yoga classes, coffee shops, and other public spaces, it's the same. People will act like nobody else in is in the room/building except themself, and the person or persons they came in with.
It's odd that such a crowded city that is so full of transplants is so standoffish to others. It probably has to do with the majority of residents here being felons, snobby hipsters who only care about their image, drug dealers, and other selfish personality types.

Compare Denver, Colorado to any other place in the USA.

Select a New Section: