Select a New Section:

Start Your Review of Springfield, MO

4/12/2018
No. Just no
No wonder the cost of living is so low in Springfield there's nothing freakin' THERE. It's a dump people. There is no manufacturing, NOTHING is produced there. The hospital, gub'mit, and colleges are the only source of income for the population. And how did they let the N side of town get so fing bad???? It's like they just gave up and said go do your meth there there's nothing else to do.....A good fire would help this town a lot. You just know you're somewhere special when you come in the "Gateway to Springfield" the north end of town!!! LOL

4/12/2018
No. Just no

3/20/2018
On the Move
Springfield is having growing pains. People are moving here from all over the country, and as a result there is a lot of commotion...hustle, bustle, construction, etc. But for the most part, it's a good thing! More employment opportunities for everyone, more green industries, more artistic endeavors. There are lakes for fishing, trails for hiking, museums, art galleries, a wonderful zoo, beautiful parks and friendly people. I love it here!

3/14/2018
Seemed okay when I was there
The cost of living in Springfield is really low.

11/24/2017
Lived there for two years
Springfield has pros and cons. I'm personally more of a "big city" person, and I moved from Kansas City to Springfield for a job opportunity. If you prefer the city life, Springfield is probably not for you, but if you prefer small town life, Springfield is also not the best choice. It has the problems of a big city (inordinately high crime, traffic congestion) without the charm of a small town (anything you might like about small-town life, Springfield doesn't really have).

First the Pros:

Proximity to Branson. This is a fun place to get away to, and lots of great shows and the wonderful Silver Dollar City amusement park
Outdoor recreation: Springfield Nature Center is a beautiful oasis right off the freeway, where you can go hiking with the family; Nathanael Greene Park is similarly lovely
Battlefield Mall: Thriving mall with Macy's, Dillard's, JCPenney, all the great mall stores going strong
Antiquing: Several antique malls worth visiting, especially Relics (others to check out are Mike's Unique, Ozark Treasures, and Urban Flea Market)
Springfield Brewing Company: BrewCo was my Sunday night go-to, with live music, rooftop patio, craft beers, great service and awesome menu
Climate: This is of course subjective, but I don't care for snow at all, and in two years of living in Springfield I remember only one day of significant snowfall; also it doesn't seem to get particularly cold in the winters (20s is about the lowest, and that's rare); summer can be very warm, 80s and 90s, which I don't mind
Minor League Baseball: St. Louis Cardinals AA team, Springfield Cardinals, play in a beautiful ballpark called Hammons Field, downtown
Cost of living: My apartment was almost 1,100 sq.ft. and included all utilities except electricity, and in a safe neighborhood in a well-maintained complex, and was less than $700/mo to live there

Next the Cons:

Traffic: Even though the James River Freeway was completed just a few years before I moved to Springfield, it hasn't been enough to aid traffic flow. Springfield has some of the worst traffic I have ever experienced. I think the infrastructure hasn't been able to keep up with the population.
Crime: For a city of this size, Springfield seems to have high crime rates
Arts scene: Coming from Kansas City, I found the paucity of art galleries and performing arts venues to be disappointing, but not surprising. They have an adequate symphony orchestra and the Juanita K. Hammons performance auditorium, which hosts touring shows like Stomp, which is nice but as far as arts there isn't a lot going on regularly

There are certain qualities I look for in a city that are rarely, if ever, listed among filters or typical criteria. For example, I'm an architecture nerd, and I love the Art Deco and Googie styles. There are very few examples of these styles in Springfield, which was disappointing. Also, I enjoy driving a little more aggressively than most drivers in Springfield, and since the freeways are always clogged I don't enjoy driving there. Another thing I don't really like about Springfield is their downtown. Even with the square it feels claustrophobic, and other than BrewCo, I didn't venture into the downtown if I didn't have to.

Overall, I don't consider Springfield to be very picturesque. There are a few nice areas, like the Nature Center, but it has a very industrial appearance, and not necessarily in that quaint, old-timey way. I'm a visual person and Springfield didn't appeal to my aesthetic.

People there, kind of a mixed bag. Some are friendly, some are not, just like anywhere else. I will say this - it seemed as if half the people I encountered there were transplants, like me. People originally from all over live there; I've met residents from Tampa, Chicago, Phoenix, Wisconsin, Boston, California. So at least Springfield doesn't look at "outsiders" like they have three noses, because half the population has three noses, so to speak.

I was content enough living in Springfield. I would probably have stayed put if it weren't for a miserable domestic situation I had to abandon for my own safety, but that's another story. I enjoyed my career and dearly loved my apartment. It wasn't everything I love in a city, it lacked a lot that floats my boat, but it wasn't a terrible place. Most of my "happy" memories of Springfield mean nothing to me now since I had to escape, but for someone who is either single or in a safe, truly loving relationship it could be a decent place to create wonderful memories.

Best of luck if you choose to move to Springfield.

2/2/2016
Greenwood Laboratory School--2016 Best Private Sch
I thought there should be an uptated review of this school now that it is 2016. It was recently voted Best Private School in Springfield, MO through the local newspaper and it is ranked #14 in the state of Missouri against all other private schools in the state. I have two children in 2nd and 4th grades and have been at this school for 3 years. It consistently develops students who excel in mathematics, Spanish, music, sports and science. They place well in academic competitions and both parents and students are driven to succeed. We have had wonderful experiences with the principal and the new vice principal who started this school year has been a welcome addition as well. The principal was called upon when we felt our daughter was being treated unfairly by some of her classmates and the situation was dealt with immediately. The teachers are caring and strive to continually learn their craft, several of them working on their doctorates through the summer. It also allows college students from MSU to student teach in the classes and do research within the classrooms which introduces students to new ideas and processes. The PTA is active and parental involvement is strong as well. We really wouldn't be happier anywhere else.

7/14/2015
Springfield, MO Review
I actually grew up in Springfield, and moved away shortly after high school to attend university in Kansas City. Frankly, the only reason I moved back is because I was offered a job here. I resisted moving back for several years for several reasons; (1) I'm not religious in any way, and I seem to be the only one here who isn't. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with religion by any means. However, the people in SW Missouri take Christianity to a WHOLE NEW LEVEL. Believe me when I say, Bible Belt doesn't begin to describe this area. Also, my political point of view and spin on life is very progressive, and locals here resist progress and progressive types very strongly, in my experience. The city of Springfield's city council passed an LGBT non-descrimination policy, only to have it voted down less than one year later; the city has lots of work to do in terms of inclusion. So, unless you're right-wing oriented politically, or political climate doesn't matter to you, I would avoid this area. Another thing that struck me very quickly after moving back: the zoning of the city. We have lots of main streets, and those main streets are almost exclusively and completely gridlocked by 1) fast food joints, 2) churches, or 3) gas stations. Whereas in other small to midsized metropolitan areas there are zoning regulations that prohibit this type of development, that's more or less all that exists in Springfield. So, if you ask me, it's not a very visually appealing city. Distinct neighborhoods are more or less non-existant, as are historic districts. Do they exist? yes. But they make up a very small fraction of the city as a whole. If you're looking for a variety in entertainment options, diversities, ethnicities, architecture, educational levels, political outlooks, etc, skip Springfield altogether. Here's the typical Springfield resident, from my experience: White, evangelical Christian, lower middle class, right wing politically oriented.

4/30/2015
Springfield in Hindsight
To begin with, I'll mention that I'm writing this largely in response to some harsh commentary I recently read about the city. I'll attempt to offer the best overview of Springfield shaped by a few years of absence and reflection.

Key Takeaway: Springfield is a great city to raise a family, earn a reasonably priced education, partake in outdoor activities, and enjoy a moderately small but nonetheless diverse downtown scene with all that entails.

Major Advantages: Very low cost of living, reasonable real estate prices, friendly people, access to outdoor activities, revitalized downtown, and access to decent, reasonably priced higher education

Major Drawbacks: Lack of diversity, limited career advancement outside of a few select fields, suburban sprawl, and poor public transportation system

Just to dispel the rumors, or perhaps to caveat what several other individuals have mentioned in regards to meth and crime: if you are a middle class individual planning to live in one of Springfield or the surrounding area's many middle class neighborhoods you are unlikely to experience any of meth related incidents. If you live in a $650 apartment in a bad portion of town, that likelihood increases. My experiences elsewhere have not lead me to believe that Springfield has a drug problem worse than that of most comparable cities. The city is relatively conservative as a whole, with more liberal areas surrounding the universities. Protestant Christianity plays a big role in the community which has both positive and negative aspects. People are generally friendly, relaxed, and the downtown scene is quite enjoyable whether you're interested in local art, music, food, or beer. A couple new microbreweries in the area add to the city's unique sense of place.

The Ozarks themselves are beautiful, with rolling wooded hills and numerous rivers, springs, and lakes: each tailored to whatever activity it is that you're interested in pursuing. Whitetail deer and turkey are plentiful for those that like to hunt. Smallmouth bass, largemouth bass, crappie, bluegill, and a variety of catfish are all in healthy supply for the fishermen (and women). The region has some fantastic caves and day hikes for those that like to get out and explore. The weather is highly variable with often hot, humid summers and relatively cold winters-at least enough to receive snow a few times a year.

The city certainly isn't for everyone. It doesn't offer the same variety of activities available in larger cities like Saint Louis, Kansas City, Denver,etc. nor does it have the charm and accessibility of a smaller community. However, as far as a middle sized American city goes, it has quite a bit to offer. The Bass Pro Shop, baseball stadium, downtown area, and university campuses are all very nice. The city does suffer from a lack of public transportation and a large suburban sprawl which makes Springfield seem simultaneously smaller (fewer large, multistory buildings) and larger (time it takes to get from one side of town to the other) than it actually is.

The city does stand out in its homogeneity, which stems from some unfortunate events in the past. The only areas even close to being considered culturally diverse are the campuses of Missouri State and Drury Universities. Petty crime and homelessness seem to be growing problems in the city although I won't claim to know the causes behind these particular issues (perhaps the aforementioned drug problem). Fortunately, the Springfield police have always been professional in my personal experience.

I ultimately left to pursue a career. Many I graduated with have done the same. As with most mid-sized cities, potential for career growth is somewhat limited depending on your field. There are certainly opportunities in the education and medical fields though these jobs generally have lower pay commensurate with the lower cost of living. There certainly is some truth to the issue of the disproportionately high number of low-paying service sector jobs- particularly call centers- relative to career track positions.

Would I return? Yes.
Knowing the city's drawbacks, it's still a good fit for me and likely a good fit for some of you as well. If you're a moderate to conservative family-oriented individual, you'll probably thrive. I would encourage anyone to give the city a chance, but I will say most of my more liberal friends and acquaintances ultimately ended up leaving in search of somewhere more suited to their tastes.

Hopefully, you find this review useful. Feel free to comment if you'd like to discuss any particular point further.

3/17/2015
Love living in the foothills of the Ozark Mountain
Springfield is the nicest place to live with great people and lots of events in town and surrounding areas. The crime rate had gone up in our area which is sad. Nonetheless people look out for others. We have hot humid summers and frigid often snow and icy winters. We would love to have more temperate weather year round. Branson is 30 miles south of here which might appeal to lots of folks. Lots of fishing, camping and boating as well as entertain in Branson.

1/28/2015
Quality of life
Good.

1/8/2015
cost of living comparison
Out of the city but still in the city limits. I live in an allotment but it is surrounded by farm fields. I live within convenient distance to all of Springfields ammentities.

12/15/2014
Springfield, MO
Springfield has a lot to offer. I have lived all across the country and other towns in Missouri. I moved to Springfield 6 years ago to finally complete my master’s degree. My wife and I both have great jobs. The cost of housing, utilities, gas, food, and general shopping is less than anywhere I have lived. Springfield is situated almost in the middle of Kansas City, St Louis, Tulsa and Oklahoma City.

As far as entertainment goes, many concert tours and comedy shows come through town (the same ones that go through the bigger cities), a small zoo, Bass Pro Shop, fishing/boating on the lakes around, fairground activities, Springfield parks, Springfield Cardinals baseball and many other things. Branson is a 45 minute drive at most and has many theaters and an amusement park as well.

There are many business’s headquarters located in Springfield from Outdoor Stores, Auto Parts, IT, Finance and others. In other people's reviews I see some complaints that are universal with anywhere you can live and others that people obviously didn't work very hard to fix.

10/27/2014
yuk
I had hoped to move to Springfield as my sig other is in the med profession - but my standards are a much higher! The city is dirty, the downtown is full of homeless and druggies. You try to follow the law start a business, but apparently the city has no zoning or ordinances they follow. The city allows homeless to have soup kitchens, play super loud music, damage property and leave trash all over right in a commercial area, next to a lawyers office. The more you support the homeless - the more of them you get. It's really weird, I've never seen a city run so poorly. I won't even get into the "sprawl" and poor city planning....

7/22/2014
Nature
Springfield,MO has a lot of beautiful parks. My favorite is Springfield Nature Center, which is a state park on the south edge of town. There are many miles of maintained trails to hike and walk. Deer, wild turkey,cranes,ducks and squirrels are in abundance.

2/28/2014
Good Cost of Living - Lacking in Character, Style
Not a good place for a liberal.

Very disrespectful community if you do not smoke, drink, party, go to church or do drugs.

If you are a business owner, it is not enough to treat people well, you need to disparage your competition and minorities in order to make a name for yourself with the good ole boys.

This area is destined to be 3rd tier in business, education and property values.

Top students from this area will place in the middle rung in college and will be viewed as backward as a result of poor manners, grammar and discipline in the community as a whole.

If you do not have children, do not want to run a business, cook your own food, are self sufficient you have a chance of thriving in the area.

Not a place for thoughtful interactions. The midwest at its worst.

1 2 3 4

Compare Springfield, Missouri to any other place in the USA.

Select a New Section: