We have place information on 13 very cool categories, pick one or scroll down to see an overview.

Klamath_Falls, Oregon  34 Reviews | Leave a Comment

Comments

Robert
Fremont, CA
Poor Quality of Life - 6/23/2015
Well, I've got to thank all the truthful people that left a post here.Thanks to all the negative post that have been posted here, I'll find another area to bring my performance engine manufacturing business to. This truly sounds like a hell on Earth. KF just lost what would've been about 600 good paying jobs (18.00 - 32.00 an hour) jobs. I can't see surviving in a atmosphere where I'd be fighting everyone from the city counsel to the police just to try to get a comfortable life going. If a city as small as Klamath Falls can't handle their drug problem/child abuse problem/air pollution, then they are destined for ruination.
Lived here for 2 months. - 10/18/2014
We just moved to KF from East Texas Aug 2014. Its funny, every person we've met has asked, why we moved here. The Town people have been very friendly but seem curious as to what brought us here. Its as if they know we chose this area with specific purpose. Its true we did! The area is gorgeous, we love it. Coming from Texas we noticed right off there was no one fishing or boating in August at Klamath Lake. That struck us quiet odd because in Tx where there is water and fish you see people. Being a customer of the blue green algae supplements from KF for years, I had an idea. I still wondered why people weren't swimming or fishing in the water, if the KF algae is healthy to ingest. After asking local people, I found a handful of answers from: water is to shallow for boats, its cold, the algae feels gooey to swim in, green film all over your boat. I did see state signs/laws at lakes, that you must scrub your boats to keep unwanted species out of lakes. That in itself is probably a deterrent. However, I also sensed there was a concern of many to swim or fish in Klamath Lake. They felt unsure/unsafe due to farming chemicals draining into it. Word has it, that fishing in spring is healthier before the algae blooms. Folks near Agency Lake (upper Klamath) who have lived here for years, say fishing & eating is good year round, never having an issue. The weather is interesting! Mild summer days compared to TX and drastic temp drops at night but its refreshing in this dry climate. People here warn us of the winters and encourage 4x4 trucks, good tire tread and to have plenty firewood. Its Oct now so I feel we are in for a winter surprise and we are making plans to buy a 4x4 diesel truck before Nov. About animals here, well hmm? People love horses here for sure, everyone has horses but dogs on the other hand; good luck getting a rent house. Having 3 large dogs, we had no choice but to find a house 15 mins out of KF near Keno. We are happy here but we do live further out then we may have initially chose and pay a bit higher rent. What I find crazy is; I'm still seeing the same houses we inquired about in August presently still for rent. This is most likely due to their unwillingness to bend on dogs or the high pet deposits. One house owner wanted 250 per dog and we had 3, yea, yikes. About jobs well my husband and 20 year old son both had jobs within the first month. However my husband had prior talks with his prospect employer before moving here. I have applied for 4 jobs so far, two of which were declined. As of present we are very happy here and its so beautiful. We like the people, we've had good experience's with law enforcement and have happily found that people do go swimming and fishing at the Lake of the Woods.
Wiki - 7/3/2014
We have been visiting KF for more than 25 years. We are retired now and have often considered relocating there. We have witnessed many of the things written on this blog - occasional bad air quality, midges, poverty, the great RR theater. We are fortunate to visit friends who have been raised in KF and are connected to some really great people. Our questions are: why no air service, quality grocery stores (or quality stores period). Plus the flight away from KF by JeldWen and rumors of OIT moving away? Why does the Chamber or powers that be seem so disconnected to such a beautiful valley? The downtown has some really good little stores and restaurants. But hardly enough to sustain outsiders with thoughts of relocating to a small town. Who's in charge, really? Is it the ranchers who continually pollute the lake? Or the politicians with no backbone? Is it the planning commission that has allowed a sprawling ugly mess beyond Main St? The Port Authority? The Military? Is there really a plan to make KF a "ghost town" as suggested by other bloggers? Where is the press? Is it stifled? Or in bed with the powers that be? We hear healthcare a nightmare. The Herald and News, if not TV, should be front and center on top of all these issues. Short of all that, what a waste of a such beautiful place.
DO NOT WORK for Sky Lakes Hospital (previously: Me - 9/28/2013
All the comments on this site regarding NOT living in Klamath Falls are TRUE!!! I have experienced it myself over the past couple months and I could not get out of here fast enough! The poor water quality (that is predominately in the newspapers currently, Sept 2013) is visibly disgusting. The air is not bad now, but as it gets colder I had been told to wear a mask outside in the winter since the poor air quality condenses here in the basin. In regards to dogs, people here are not friendly towards them at all. Despite what you read online about "the friendliest dog cities in Oregon"; Klamath Falls is NOT one of them. I have had more rude comments about having my beautiful chocolate lab with me on walks, in my car, staying at hotels, and not being able to rent a house or apartment. This town is NOT dog friendly in the least! Then there is the hospital, Sky Lakes. Sure its beautiful on the outside with all the millions of dollars they spent changing the name, the icon symbol (which supposedly is a three fold symbol: a dove, a flame, and a hand - go figure that one out); and changing the exterior of the building outside/inside. It is beautiful, but the quality of the staff and support staff inside is anything but the standard of care. You know that old story about 2 barbers in the same town across the street from one another competing for business? One barber had a beautiful haircut and a neat, clean, beautiful barber shop on the outside, but no customers inside. The other barber across the street had a horrible haircut, a decent but kinda messy shop; but had customers lined up around the building waiting to get in for an appointment. Why? The barbers cut each others hair since their was no one else to do it. The unsuccessful barber had a beautiful hair cut that the busy barber cut for him when he had time in his busy schedule. The busy barber had an awful haircut from the barber with the beautiful shop, but no business. My point is, Sky Lakes is masking many problems they have on the inside of the hospital with all the glamour and money they poured into beautifying the hospital and changing the name. TRUST me on this! I wish I could reveal stories that have happened since I have worked there as a provider, but I can not share them online. I would not let my kids, family or myself be seen there; and I am so thankful to have moved on to a better area and place. If you are new to Klamath, like the nurse I met last week that was starting at the hospital, please get out of there ASAP. It is just a low level, grimy place to live without an adequate supportive city infrastructure to make the area a safe place to live.
Air Quality is the worst - 8/11/2013
Klamath Falls has the worst air quality in Oregon. During the winter the air gets so bad you can't go outside. The town burns their trash and since it is in a basin the air can't escape. No smog checks, nobody follows the regulations when you can burn wood, and the air is dirty.
Not much to do - 8/11/2013
There isn't any culture except for the Ross Ragland, and performances are only half full, so we will see how long they can last. The ice skating ring at the running Y is nice, but other than that you need to drive at least 2 hours for real culture.
Do you like ice? - 8/11/2013
The snow isn't really a problem, but the ice on the streets get really dangerous. I saw a car one time slide through a crosswalk almost hitting a child walking to school. You need to have special tires when you move here. The cold weather starts in October and doesn't end until mid June, if you are lucky. Three months of being able to go outside is not enough.
Meth and Crime - 8/11/2013
We lived here for three years, at first it wasn't too bad. But, then 3 of our neighbors moved and rented their houses. Meth addicts moved in and we lived right by a school. There were drug deals happening by Safeway, and downtown wasn't safe to walk. Not to mention that Klamath Falls had the highest murder rate per capita in Oregon and has the highest child abuse rate. This happens when there are no jobs and poor quality of life.
Great place to live - 2/7/2013
Klamath is a great place to live. It is quiet, and peaceful. People are in general friendly and live a nice slow paced life.

Patty
One of the reasons why we're looking to move - 11/10/2012
We're retired both in our 70's and are looking to move to a more moderate climate, as Klamath Falls has long winters and the snow and ice aren't what most folks our age need to deal with (safety wise). Oregon is a pretty state and has a lot of nice people. We've lived here for over 50 years, but feel it's time to move.
Klamath Falls is for the birds - 11/5/2012
Where else in the Lower 48 can you watch a bald eagle perched over a lake in the downtown area? I have lived all over the US and choose to be here. The beautiful blue skies, the mountains and the wildlife are magnificent. Nothing to do? Fishing, camping, hunting, whitewater rafting; sorry mall rats - no mall. It's true that it's difficult to find a job here but the cost of living is reasonable and we have several treasures here in OIT, Sky Lakes Medical Center and the Klamath County Museum. Remember - Bloom where you're planted.
Excellent Place to Retire - but No Jobs - 7/8/2012
I'm a very grateful Baby Boomer, in that I recently retired, (though my monthly pension isn't much), and I not only retired, but I found a nice, inexpensive place to live. Where is it you ask? Well it's Klamath Falls, Oregon. Unfortunately the word is getting out now and so it will be just a matter of time before it gets discovered, and the home prices really take off. Here you can still buy a small older 2 Bd 1Ba home for under $65K, within walking distance of shopping, and there's always the bus to get around on as well. K Falls is located about 90 minutes from Ashland and it's world famous Shakespeare festival each summer, and also Medford, which has all of the shopping and amenities most anyone could ever want, and with the crowds too. K Falls is much less crowded, and slower paced, which is perfect for retirees, with good medical care here as well. And the weather isn’t bad either, if you like 4 seasons. There’s incredible fishing and with the mountains and Crater Lake nearby, there’s also all sorts of wonderful things to do, all year around. Both Ashland and Medford have already been discovered and are now too pricy for most retirees. Same with Bend, OR which is beautiful, but is very expensive. K Falls biggest drawback though is the high unemployment rate here, which is ok for retirees who already have a monthly income, or those who could get by on a part time job to supplement their income. Except for some professional jobs, requiring a professional license, most jobs here are minimum wage, and many are only part time. So for most of the younger crowd (18 to 40 years old) who are here, and are unemployed or underemployed, it may be best for them to move elsewhere for a better paying job (SLC, Phoenix or Texas are all good possibilities now), and then in 20 to 40 years, return to K Falls to retire. And it would probably be wise for most others looking for work, to just forget about moving to K Falls, as the few jobs here are filled by all of those who are already here. I think I'll enjoy spending my retirement here, and suggest that other retirees consider it as well. Check out the facts about K Falls here at Sperling, and then plan a trip to come check it out, if you’re still looking for a place to retire. But I wouldn’t wait too long, as more retirees are discovering K Falls and are moving in as well.

Brandi
Malin, OR
Klamath Falls - 3/12/2012
Reading all of the other comments made me kind of sad, really, that people think so badly of the town.. I am 24 years old, and was born and raised in Klamath Falls. People are not "uneducated" here or anything else that you people think who have lived here before.. The reason your dog turns green in the lake is because there are only two places on earth where the lake produces blue-green algae, and Klamath is one of them. Want to know what we do with the algae?? Check out www.e3live.com that site will tell you lots.. Oh and if you get grossed out, that is okay because the plant that sells it, well the owners are RICH and the employees get great pay and benefits.. Arnold Schwarzenegger and Kevin Bacon order the stuff.. I know cause my husband did their orders a few times.. Yes, it is boring in Klamath Falls and there is nothing to do, and I do suggest not moving here if you are broke, because you will stay that way. Yes, our cops are a$$ holes and the Doctors aren't any better but my honest opinion is that it's cause 98% of K-Town is on welfare and they don't get paid much. There are people here that are nice but you just gotta know who to talk to, just like when you live anywhere else!! Also, yes our teeth are bad, but it is because the cops are too busy building crap they don't need for themselves instead of our tax money getting used for fluoride in the water.. No fluoride, bad teeth, simple as that. (but there are a lot of meth heads here I do not understand why, but... yea that can mess up teeth too..)Also Honda is the most popular vehicle in Klamath, and I do agree that there is nothing to do but hang out at walmart and gossip for people.. (I actually just moved into Malin, 30 mins away from Klamath) but I don't pay any attention to those things.. If you mind your own business, you will do just fine!!

sachamo
Pomona, CA
Land of the Lost - 11/4/2011
Klamath Falls is no doubt one of the most dysfunctional places on earth. If you have thoughts of moving there take a few moments and read what I have to say.Jobs are very hard to find in K-Falls so packing up flying by the seat of your pants is not recommended. Basically there are a handful of large employers ie, Hospital,College, Jeldwin and the Air Base. If you are of a minority status please keep in mind there are very few mnorites in Klamath. The ones that are there are ostracized and alienated by the white majority. Take time to see how many minorities are employed at the above mentioned companies. Crime is rampant in K-Falls. Every neighborhood there has been affected by crime. Drugs are also a epidemic in K-Falls. Divorce and spousal abuse is extremely high in Klamath. Depression and mental illnesses in Klamath keep the docs and cops busy. If you like gossip and rumours you have found your place. Everyone has got some insight from all the people who like chaos. Wood smoke in the winter will keep your plugged up and the mosquitos and midges will torment you to death. Education for your kids, oh they will get one. Pregnancy and peer pressure from ignorant kids abound in Klamath. Marriage, ask around and see how often many of the folks there have been married. More than once is the norm. If you come from California be adviced you will be blamed for all of the problems in Klamath, but the local yocals will gladly take your money for there inflated price on their house. Politics and good old boy mentality of Mayberry gone bad is all left to say. Thank God almighty for rescuing me from Klamath Falls.
climate - 7/21/2011
cold winter moderate summer
1 2 3

Compare Klamath_Falls, Oregon to any other place in the USA.