Colorado Springs, Colorado Comments

"Thinking about moving from Detroit MI to Colorado."

Thinking about moving from Detroit MI to Colorado. - 1/14/2012
0 0
rachel

I have a sister out in Aurora, CO who can hook me up with a job at BCBS but my husband is worried about the move. We have a son, we'll be getting pregnant again this spring and our lease isn't up until this fall. I have full faith that we'll be able to do it, especially since BCBS offers childcare services. But of course you don't move out of state without some information. So that's what I'm asking for, can anyone please give me some helpful facts on the Colorado Springs area? Public schools, basic cost of living, safe feeling... we're currently residing about twenty minutes from the D with 700 p/m on rent for a 2bed w basement and 2car garage. That is a pretty good deal here, what's normal out there? Thanks a ton!

back to Colorado Springs, Colorado Add a New Comment Report Abuse

Login to reply to Comments. (Membership is Free)

More Colorado Springs, Colorado Comments

Sandi

Colorado Springs not all change is good 12-2016 - 12/1/2016

My husband and I moved from Tampa, Fl to Colorado Springs in 2002. The city was smaller than Tampa, had less traffic and friendly people. The mountains are beautiful and you never get tired of them. Starting in 2012 we started to notice a lot of new housing and commercial shopping centers going up. Roads began to become neglected and potholes are everywhere. There is not enough funding to keep up with them. Taxes are raised for water projects, school funding, and road repair. Traffic has double and it reminds me of Tampa again. A recent article in the Gazette (November 2016) states are homeless vet population has grown 24 % while other states are down 11% on average. The legalization of marijuana was the reason given. We have homeless begging on every intersection street corner. The will come up to you in the parking lot and ask for funds. They can be aggressive. Some are honest enough to write signs like "need money for weed" This was not the way it was when we moved here. You rarely saw anyone begging on a street corner. The weather is wonderful, the mountains still beautiful. Great place if you love to bike or hike. The taxes are getting higher every year. So good and bad to living here. We are looking for smaller cities with less taxes to retire. Hope this helps someone.

Marie

Good and bad of living in Colorado Springs - 6/19/2016

The mountains are breathtakingly beautiful. I moved from Georgia to COS in 2015 with a plan of staying here 2-3 years. I just wanted to experience the West. The housing cost s are much higher and I do miss the culture and diversity of East coast. Perhaps if I'd come here 30 years ago i would have easily adapted to the altitude and rockie terrain but not the snow and ice. I absolutely hate the winter driving conditions here. And if you own a home here, dont care if you're 120, you legally have to clear walk and driveways to make your property safe. Forget starting your car in the winter to warm it up while running back inside- it's illegal! Although buying Marijuana here is legal- go figure. This is a great place for younger folks with at least $350k to buy a house or $1300 plus for a decent apartment , but as you get older there ain't a thing you can do with those majestic mountains but look at 'em. It's just not a place to retire to, unless this is your "summer home"! For me, the beaches, greenery and soft terrain of the East coast allows for more engagement no matter your age or health! I'm trying to be objective in my response and present good, and not so good. Oh yeah, the roads are in horrible condition. At least 25,000 pot holes ranging from minor to "will ruin your car and shocks". Mechanics should do very well here!

Melodie
Simi Valley, CA

Help us narrow our options down - 3/22/2016

I'm looking for comments and feedback to try to decide where is the best place our family can move. We have my Mom-80 and 3 kids-13,11,3 plus my hubby and I - the six of us want to move out of state because it's too expensive to live and thrive in SoCAL. I'm stay at home mom, husband works as a supervisor in call center and mom is retired. We want low cost of living - buy a spacious 5bd house for $350k max where schools are great. We've looked at Colorado Springs, Phoenix AZ suburbs and now exploring Oregon. The main issue is we MUST be close enough to visit family still living in CA. Anyone have any suggestions on best cities/neighborhoods? We're trying to move this summer and I'm freaking out that we haven't narrowed down our options. Please help if you can. Thanks!!

Candace

Mixed Feelings - 3/3/2016

I have very mixed feelings about this community. Lived here from 2010 - 2014. Its a very beautiful area and a tourist attraction due to its beauty and interesting places to visit. So it was fun living near so much beauty - that much is true. The city does like music, and so do I - so that was something I did enjoy while there too. Employment was difficult for me. I worked in the public school system, but it almost seemed to me to be the only avenue open to me. I did not have good qualifications for Education, and even though I gained good experience and do remember the children and some coworkers fondly - its not really the work I needed to be financially lucretive - especially after a divorce. I also have to remark that even though I still have friends who belong to the area's various churches, the area is heavily conservative and fundamentalist. If you are in accord with that, by all means, it will be a good area for you! But myself, I'm not heavily fundamentalist and I had struggles with this. It became quite personally painful to me at one point. So mixed feelings - I have still have some friends from there. I am occasionally homesick for it. But had a very hard time finding a church I fit in, and also had problems with proper employment as well. I sometimes noted an angry or judgmental attitude, but I have experienced worse. I think if you are married and have family - its likely a great place to live! As a single, divorced woman, I had a difficult time, sometimes, there.

Bob

Colorado Springs - 1/20/2016

Living in Colorado Springs put you on the eastern edge of the mountains with a beautiful view of Pikes Peak. The climate is enjoyable most of the year with some significant cold snaps and periodic snow to remind you that you are at 6500ft or more above sea-level. A relatively conservative town, with many enjoyable aspects of military community and family oriented activities. The outdoor adventures are just minutes to hours away for hiking, biking, skiing and hunting. Fishing is a bit of an adventure up the Pikes Peak Highway or to other locations in search of water. After 23 years, it is still a great place to be.

Jim
Crossville, TN

Checking In - 1/12/2016

Considering a relocation out west and we're considering COS.

tony

Colorado Springs has a stultifying cultural scene - 8/26/2015

CS is in a very beautiful natural setting but the lack of any progressive vision here has created a small and alienating downtown, a decaying historical section, and some of the most depressing newer neighborhoods imaginable. The architecture can actually hurt the eyes and the real estate industry gets away with murder in Colorado as a whole, and CS in particular. Sad to see Nature being so desecrated by trashy and poorly designed development everywhere. It is boring here and my kid hated the schools here after being very happy from the schools in the Texas city we moved from. Here, the military and Right Wing churches run everything, and only have the most meager and impotent centrist opposition. Faux liberalism in this area only reaches to about 30% of the population,and all of it is centered on only 2 issues, the Gay issue and the Legalizing marijuana issue. That's about it in a nutshell. The conservatives seem happy with flag waving, the local government hounding the homeless population, rote and mediocre education for the alienated kids, and playing with their toys (motorcycles, big SUVs and pickups, and power equipment of any kind). Military aircraft are always overhead, and you will be the rist Americans turned to toast, if we have a worldwide nuclear war break out, because NORAD is located here, along with multiple air force and army bases.

Marcy
Vancouver, WA

Apartments and safe areas for elderly - 7/25/2015

Looking for decent area to live for elderly that is safe. Or, an area to rent apartment near Monument CO

Lynn

Really??? - 5/11/2015

I have lived here off and on since 1986. Grew up in a small city in the Midwest. Believe me, I feel much safer here than where I lived as a child. If you stay out of the southeastern side of town.

Carl

Colo Spgs weather - 1/16/2015

I used to feel pretty good about the winters here, I thought they were mild, and compared to Wisconsin where I previously lived they were. As I get older, now in my 60's, I am much less tolerant of snow and ice and cold and feel like it's time to find warmer climate.

lynda

na - 11/6/2014

no comment for now

Jim

Living at altitude - 10/14/2014

As a life long resident of Colorado Springs I can't think of a better place to live if you enjoy outdoor activities including skiing, camping, hiking, hunting, biking, snow shoeing, or fishing. As part of the high plains desert climate we enjoy well over 300 days a year of sun shine and sit at the base of "America's Mountain", Pikes Peak. There is, of course, the issue of altitude for those who are from other areas as the city is at an elevation of just over 6,200 feet and the climate is very dry with low humidity year round. Staying hydrated is essential and requires constant attention. It may be obvious to some, but this is not the place for those whose leisure time enjoyment revolves around the ocean, sailing, deep sea fishing or warm weather year round. It's a great place to live if you enjoy living at altitude!

Dennis

Could Be Better - 8/18/2014

This city has had significant growth during the last 14 years. Urban sprawl is everyhwere. Crime is on the increase. City severely lacking in mass transportation. Not enough parks or park space with the increase in persons moving to Colorado Springs. Significant and very polarizing politics have played havoc with city. Many citizens are wanting to move out including myself. Quality of life here is severly lacking. If you want culture you'll drive to Denver.

Calen

Moved to Colorado Springs in 2012 - WILL NEVER LEA - 5/28/2014

I've traveled all over the country for work and this is the overall favorite place I've ever been. The climate is amazing due to the altitude and lack of humidity. Don't take my word for it - go to a weather site and look at our averages throughout the year or come visit. I sit on the deck and watch mountain sunrises & sunsets nearly every day, even mid-winter. Pikes Peak, the 2nd most visited mountain in the world, is always beautiful. The water is incredibly pure and delicious - bottled water not needed here! We leave the door to the deck open all the time because there are no bugs. My family and I frequently head up into the mountainas or even to some of the huge parks and open spaces with bluffs, hiking trails & overlooks all within the city limits. The access to the foothills is as great as any city I've ever seen. If you want quality family activity (even FREE), this is the place to live. All the amenities of city living, yet access to places like Breckenridge. Our schools are generally decent and crime rates are decently low - you should google the stats to prove/disprove it. Of course there are worse areas of town but this is generally a clean city. Many military people retire to the Springs to raise their families, additionally making for an excellent community (I have no military involvement). Traffic here is as mild as any city I've been in, partially because the town is SO spread out. There's open land and parks everywhere. My 17 minute commute is so mild. Short story is Colorado Springs is everything my family hoped it would be. We will continue to travel elsewhere but continue coming home to here. Every weekend here can be a mini-vacation!

kenneth r

free - 4/17/2014

A little more liberal and friendier than conservative States....my father lived and died by the unions, in a conservative state, pinching pennies.... it was a old factory state....

JM
Peyton, CO

nice place to live - 10/27/2013

COS is nice place to live... fantastic climate. Though a multitude of school districts makes the city / county divided between great districts and not great. This mirrors factional community - military, old west, downtown progressives, evangelical.

Brian

Take the Bad with the Good. - 9/16/2013

The first thing everyone will notice is that it is a beautiful city full of nice tourist attractions. Once you start studying the city you will find a lot of diversity. It is a military town with the south side populated by Pawn shops and liquor stores (typical of military communities). However the central part of the city is somewhat Bohemian. The Northern end of the city is solid middle class. The commute from point A to point B can be frustrating since this is a city of 460,000 people living in a city designed for 200,000. Culturally you can find whatever you want from New Age Hippies to Ambitious Yuppies. Politically it leans a bit on the conservative side, but Independents are comfortably entrenched. Keep in mind that this is a military town, so if you feel threatened by anything military, you are not going to like C.S. otherwise it is a comfortable city. For the Outdoors types you have it all within 2 hours drive. The Restaurants tend to be a bit overpriced and overrated, but the scenery makes up for the experience.

Karen and Herb

Colorado Springs - 8/23/2013

Colorado Springs is a beautiful place to live but it is getting very expensive to live there. Although it is cheaper than Denver it is growing.

Christina

The Mountains are Great:) - 8/6/2013

If you like anything outdoors, Colorado Springs is the best. The mountains are only minutes away so the recreation is fantastic and the views are amazing.

Lori T.

I love living in Colorado Springs! - 7/8/2013

My family and I left here once for a few years living in Nevada. I cried with joy when we moved back. The water quality is good, the mountains are beautiful, especially Pikes Peak. It is affordable to live here, there are many school choices with open enrollment. There are many free and low cost things to do around town, and hiking in the Garden of the Gods is always fun. Most of the people here are friendly, and the traffic is not too bad, except on Friday night when I-25 slows down. Colorado Springs is the 2nd most requested military assignment, and many choose to retire here. There are bike trails, hiking trails, the Olympic Training Center and Sky Sox baseball. There are also many small theater groups around town, and the Pikes Peak Center is a fun place to go for concerts. When disaster strikes, like our recent fires, the outpouring of support from the community was amazing. It is a good place to raise kids.

Next >>COSTLIV