Review of Eugene, Oregon

Resident from October 2018-present
Star Rating - 10/14/2019
Pros:
Beautiful scenery- The Eugene area is full of greenery, rivers, lakes, buttes, and mountains in the distance.
Moderately sized- not quite a big city, but not too much of a small town feel either. Traffic exists but is seldom more than a few minute ordeal.
Excellent arts and culture- With the University of Oregon here, there are plentiful book, art, and music stores here. There is also a market downtown every Saturday that is full of interesting products and people.
Tolerant culture- plenty of ethnic diversity here, and people mind their own business quite well. Not much bigotry happening here.
Excellent beer- Oregon in general has incredible beer.
Excellent geography-
Eugene is just a little over an hour from the coast, and an hour from the mountains the other way. There is a spectacular range of natural beauty surrounding this area.
Cons-
A lot of rain. Eugene gets more sunny days than rainy days on average, but 47 inches of rain a year is no small amount.
Limited job market-
I started from scratch when I moved here, delivering pizza. Landing a great job in Eugene can take quite a bit of patience and effort.
Homelessness-
Eugene is basically a sanctuary for the homeless of the county that it is located in. There are quite a bit of homeless people scattered around town. Drug abuse is also common.
Allergy season-
Eugene has the highest pollen count in the country. If you are prone to allergies, springtime here can be a serious challenge.
Overall, I find Eugene to be a charming place. I feel thankful to have a solid job here, as well as my own apartment. Eugene has been good to me. It's hard to imagine a better place to live now, honestly.
Kendall | Eugene, OR