Select a New Section:

Austin

Start Your Review of Austin, TX

3/26/2017
Austin-Too weird for me
I lived in Austin for 6 months. Moved back to Houston. Sure Houston is crowded, traffic is horrendous....but the cheaper cost of living makes it
all worthwhile. Plus we haave pro sports teams.

3/15/2017
Get some perspective, people
Wow. Like lots of other rating sites, it seems on this one there are some commenters who really relish complaining and whining for paragraph after paragraph. So....like every major city Austin has pros and cons. It is a liberal hole in a conservative donut politically speaking. It is creative and lively, with a lot of young people, fantastic restaurant choices and great music of many genres. It has museums, symphony, ballet, and some great cultural events in SXSW and ACL. There are nearby wineries, microbreweries and distilleries. If you live close in enough, you will enjoy all these things without dealing with the horrible traffic congestion. Yep, Texans love their cars and the mass transit is nil. If you want to save money and live out in the burbs, you will be in monotonous big box land. Austin is expensive, real estate wise. A some others note, the laid back weird Austin of yesteryear is rapidly disappearing so you will look hard to find it. There is definitely a California influence here now in the dress, architecture, and so on. However, contrary to some other comments people here are friendly, gregarious, and outgoing. If someone is rude, it's highly likely they're not from here. The weather is fantastic October-April, and hotter n hell in the summer. The lakes are beautiful, the beer is cold, and there are scorpions and snakes. I have lived in Austin for 45 years -nope, it's not Nirvana, but it's pretty damn good.

3/11/2017
Austin...sucks
I've lived here ten years now. I'm gonna keep this simple and just use simple words to describe Austin...Crowded, HOT, humid, taxes, no middle class, $36000 poverty line, rampant racism, fake people, drugs, Snobs, hippies, rampant Liberalism bordering on communism, weird people, horrible traffic, horrible drivers...But, there's bats under Congress bridge so its all worth it...yay

10/24/2016
You MUST be a walking stereotype-and a Texan
Sighs....where to begin.....I've spent time in 46 states and a few other countries. Bi-racial, son of immigrants. I've NEVER encountered so many stereotypical people IN MY LIFE. At least in rural communities, they admit they're bigoted! Here, all you hear about is how "cool" and "hip" they are, and how, in their minds, EVERYONE around the country wants to be more like them. What you'll discover is you'll get called a "damn Yankee" or "fucking Californian" if you're from out of state. If you're Black, you have to act like you're in a rap video. If you don't, you'll get stared at. If you're White, you're expected to be either dress and act like a yuppie, or frat boy-or you'll get stared at. If you're Chicano, you have to act like a wannabe thug or loudmouth baby mama-or you'll get stared at. This is the only place I've ever been where people segregate by race, age AND gender....and they're obvious about it! Being multidimensional here IS A CRIME. It's the only place I've ever been where numerous people have come up to me and stated, "You don't LOOK like you'd be listening to that kind of music," or "You don't LOOK like you'd be from there," or, "You don't LOOK like you'd play tennis," and on and on and on.....hey people, it's the South.....I guess I should've known. Don't EVER try to disagree with someone here or tell them what ANYPLACE out of state is like. The Texan way is-you have the right to agree with them or shut up while they threaten and glare you. No joke. You HAVE to be PC here. Most of these people have NO IDEA what anything outside of Texas is like. It's all they know. If you're coming from out of state, find the out of staters, and SUPER GLUE yourself to them! All the people I know in the last few years that moved here-have all left. Amenities......well, THEY'LL tell you that they have the entertainment of N.Y., the public transit of D.C., the natural splendor of Hawaii, the militant grassroots nature of Oakland, and the culture of Rio. If you're stupid enough to believe this-come on here! I've finally saved up enough money to leave for good next month, saving my sanity and money. Do yourself a favor-stay away from ad populum magazines. Wherever they say is hip and cool-AVOID, AVOID, AVOID. Wherever they DON'T mention-go there. And to Texans reading this-the other 49 of us states would greatly appreciate it if you actually stopped talking about seceding, and actually DID it. Millions of us around the country will gleefully help you pack!

8/19/2016
The lustre has worn off
Lived here for 8 years from '06-'14. Loved it the first 3 years then it became just okay. I survived the Great Recession here relatively unscathed, so for that I am grateful to this city and it's thriving business culture. I don't know what it was like in the '70s or 80s (the supposed hey-day) - right now it's just an American city, much like others in midwest. Okay, maybe better than some of those.

It's a very social city so if you like that this is your place. It's not as laid back as the reputation, in fact, it's very fast paced and always buzzing. Though the people are generally cool and friendly.

Everything that was good about the city is being stripped away but that is what happens when the governing body does their job and attracts businesses. Although there is probably more diversity than there once was. Culture is mainly Longhorns football, drinking/bars/drugs, live shows, BBQ, swimming holes, fitness, and DUIs. If you like the real outdoors, you will grow very tired of this place. Big Bend is six hours away. Mountains - nowhere. There is a coastline but it's nothing like the East or West coast.

You could do worse. You could also do a lot better.

8/9/2016
Epitome of Overrated
Don't move here, and I'm not saying that because I want to keep this place so supposedly cool. I'm saying it because it is incredibly overrated, and it just might (if you have a family) be the most regrettable decision you ever make. The real estate brochures will all tell you what a Shangri La this is, and yet, for the life of me, I can't see how this place is so great. Yes, it has good things, but.....SO DO OTHER PLACES. For anyone over 35, actually other places have much more to offer, honestly. There isn't a single thing that this city has a monopoly on, and there are so many things that it doesn't have (comfortable weather, natural splendor, good museum system, helpful public transportation, pro sports, modesty, etc.) Yes, I do say "natural splendor," because, well, there are no mountains or beaches anywhere nearby, and the scrubby paths here hardly qualify as hiking trails in most places.
Beyond this, it is quite misleading to say that it's very cheap. Maybe that is true for people from Cali or other high-profile places, but, as a resident, you pay plenty for taxes. It just is paid by different means (property, toll roads, high sales tax).

The place does have a promising economic situation, yes, but for people in the non-tech sectors, it's not nearly as rosy of an outlook. IN some of these industries, too, you are definitely treated as an outsider if non-native. This is understandable, considering all the influx into here, but still, it's frustrating to go through.

Last but not least, you know what is so weird about this city? That it thinks it's so special. I, for one, am counting down the days until I can chalk it up to past mistakes.

7/10/2016
Visiting Austin-Great Impression
I have never lived in Austin, but have visited many times and have received a good vibe from the city. First of all, people who live there really seem to love it and are welcoming. I've been in bars and had people come up to me (both genders) and start conversations and seem very friendly. Not just once, but on several occasions. And not in a I'm drunk and looking for companionship sort of way, but it a genuinely friendly matter. Being from the south, this was foreign to me, as people seem to converse with you only if you are in a mutual group or if they are intoxicated in most occasions. However, I do think this is more of a place for younger (20-35 year olds) people, rather than adults looking for a more mature setting. It feels like a laid-back, large college town, which is not for everybody, though it may have changed since I last visited (2013). Compared to larger, fast cities, it's probably a step back in terms of amenities, though I was impressed with some of the offerings (the Whole Foods Corporate HQ and its 2-3 story grocery is definitely worth a visit, and there is a Fry's, several Trader Joes, and Google Fiber). I live in Nashville, and for younger people who are looking for booming, friendly transplant cities, Austin feels like it is several generations ahead of TN. A very clean city with plenty of personality. If you are young at heart, this is the place for you.

3/7/2016
Born and raised in Austin, Texas
It is not secret that Austin is a great place to live. I was born here and have lived in central Austin much of my life. It is crazy to see how much my town has turned into an internationally known big city. I am a residential Realtor and one thing I always say to my clients moving to Austin is that "people here want you to love Austin and feel welcome." In addition to all of things you hear about how great Austin is, friendly people is what keeps it real.

1/5/2016
Great for many, not for everyone
Austin has a great blend of things to offer; outdoors, bars/clubs, community initiatives, arts, dance and music. Depending on where you want to live, you can get a somewhat reasonably priced place, granted you had better be a professional or semi-successful creative type. You cannot afford to live comfortably alone in Austin on less than $40/$45k a year. There are major issues with traffic for this size of city, but, i have yet to get almost run off the road ( Houston, San Antonio, Vegas)or aggressively honked/yelled at (NYC, Atlanta) . Over hyping of certain neighborhoods drive up costs, but, what popular city hasn't experienced that? Austin will never be the ultra-cheap sleepy college town it was, get over it, time changes things. I've been here over 10 years and if I did not see positive changes I would've left. Austin wont be for everyone, just like any other place on this site, don't bash Austin on every aspect because you weren't a fit!

12/7/2015
8. Competent school staff to support
------------

5/28/2015
Wanna Be/Has Been/Avoid
If you are Texan, I'm sure Austin is a great place. Most of the people who don't fit in to the rest of the state, move to Austin. But it will never been anything more than a wanna-be city. It will never be on a par with the great cities in the US, no matter what, because alas, it is in Texas. Too many Texans live there. And a smaller percentage of former Californians live there, and they were the people who couldn't hack it in California, which isn't speaking highly of them.

There is absolutely nothing to do in Austin unless you like excellent musicians playing third rate annoying one- track pseudo country music. Or if you like amazing restaurants, it does have those. Or if you like biking and jogging in 110 degree heat around a very ugly arid climate. (Anybody who says Austin is pretty has never been anywhere else.) But what this place does not have is an active cultural scene, a diverse population (EVERYBODY is white, or segregated Indian/Asian tech people who couldn't hack it in California). There are no art museums, galleries, cool hang outs for different types of people, public transportation, interesting shops, design, style, vibrancy, cutting edge thought, technology, business, anything. If you think it's a power center, you've clearly never been to the Bay Area, NYC, Boston, Chicago, LA, or any other places where things are really happening.

And speaking of that, you either make minimum wage and live like a bum, or you make a lot of money and spend it on stupid things.

It's all a big tax break for out of state corporations. Nothing is really created there. Ok, they have Whole Foods. (But everybody hates Whole Foods and if they're into really good local food, they would shop locally, not at Whole Foods.)

The housing is ugly. The people are backwards and take mellow to an embarrassing degree. And I could go on. I guess the bottom line is that if you think Austin is "all that" then please stay there, and don't be embarrassed when you travel and people could give a fat nothing about where you're from. It ain't Paris, it ain't San Francisco, NY, Miami even, it is basically nowhere. It has a good PR run there for a while, but it's over now.

What really bothers me the most is, people like to think they're green and liberal and pro-environment, but what do they do but run around 24/7 with a carbon spewing air conditioner strapped to their car and house? And drive a giant SUV that gets 10 mpg? It's appalling.

Sorry to be negative, but the best I can say about Austin is, it's probably a nice place to be from, as long as you are now living somewhere else.

Ok, sorry, peace out, good luck, don't move there.

4/9/2015
Give this place a pass
Arrogant and pretentious for such a hick town, Austin combines the worst of Texas Teasips and the worst of the Left Coast to produce a place hardly fit to pen hogs. Your mileage may vary.

2/20/2015
Great place to start a career
Austin is a great place to live. Hot in the summer, but you get use to it. Very mild winters. There might be a trace of snow and it will shut the town down, very funny! There is a lot to do. Outdoor activities, music venues and great places to eat. The city is growing with all the jobs here so of course, a lot of people moving here. If your looking to move here and you have kids, try to stick in the Round Rock or Dripping Springs school districts. The best schools are in Wimberley, Tx about 30-35 miles outside of Austin. Many people commute 30-40 miles to work daily. It's Texas, It's big!!! Once again, this is a great place for a young family to move to but if your older, like me, I want out! Looking for a more quite, peaceful life. I'm looking at Ashland Oregon. Any comment about Ashland would be great!

2/6/2015
Do your community a service - get rid of Texans.
I live in New York but have lived in Austin before for several years, and when a customer comes into my bar who's from Texas I tell them "Go back to Texas you f*ggot f*cking piece of sh*t!" and then kick them out/ban them. If everyone did this, the world would be a much better place.

12/30/2014
OMG!!!! Austin YUCK!!!!!!
I have lived here 3 years, from Minneapolis. I did as much research as I could, before coming down here. I wanted the cool, laid back, Hippie, live music vibe. Austin, TX has all but lost that. Maybe South Austin has retained some of that. That part is on it's way to losing it too. Austin, TX is full of pretenious, cold hearted AHOLES from California. Ya see, companies from Cali are moving here, because they get an enormous tax break. I must mention that it is definitely a younger city. 20/30 year olds. And the men who are middle aged, act like complete imbeciles. I was reading a couple of other posts, that stated the main culture is drinking. That is the truth! If something that is totally fantastic (I will bet money it will not) does not happen to be me, by the end of my lease (rent is outrageous by the way---hello water bill!), by May 2015, I am leaving here!!!!!! Just a word to the wise!

Compare Austin, Texas to any other place in the USA.

Select a New Section: