Select a New Section:

Maine

Start Your Review of Maine, ME

2/19/2015
winters
We are on this site to exit Maine in the winter. It is a beautiful and expensive (taxes) state. We plan to stay here most of the year, as 3 of the seasons are beautiful. It is relatively safe here (safe neighborhoods and mostly safe wildlife/bugs) and we have ocean, lakes and Mountains to enjoy. I do not suggest moving here until you rent for a winter- they are cold, there is a snow storm every week and it is expensive ( plowing/shoveling, roof raking, car damage, canceled school/missing work, heating). Also- upstate is cheap BUT there is nothing to do up North unless you are an outdoors enthusiast or a hunter, and there is minimal work unless you are in Health care or can get a factory job. Also - there is a different breed of person up north , not always welcoming with non-natives. Prices are enticing up north, but visit first or you will regret it

2/8/2014
JOBS/WEATHER
Unless you want to live around Portland Maine or maybe BIW, not much work in Maine, except min wage...Weather from Sept thru May, you freeze your butt off, put kids in long johns for Halloween..From Bangor on up, LOTS of snow by the footage..beautiful lakes though.Lived in maine most of my life. I left 10 yrs ago,I don't feel ppl are real friendly on the average.Taxes are AWFUL on small ranches, just amagine a big house of maybe 1800 sg ft.Heating fuel> bring your wallet...The summer is NICE from June to end of Aug.Thats all.....Save your self some time and money folks, you wont stay long...unless its just a getta way for you in the summer.....Taxes are terrible....Wait till you register your car or buy a home. Its a POOR STATE and I have know idea what Augusta>capital is thinking...

5/19/2013
Please help " be honest"
Hi! This is my replay to " THINK TWINCE" as well as everyone else that has write on here.
My name is Sam and Im a 25 year old women who is single , no kids and no pets! I went to Portland for vacation and I feel in love . Since then I've been planning and saving and doing so much research in moving to Portland , BUT reading what you guys have says I am little scared that this might be a mistake and maybe I should save " Portland" as my vacation spot ... Please be honest with me!

5/19/2013
Please help " be honest"

4/13/2013
Consider The Whole Package Maine Offers.
If you like bumper to bumper traffic, you won't be happy in Maine. If you don't make eye contact where you live now and are always, always aware of crime, protecting your loved one, Maine is not going to be the same day to day living.

If you like the idea of not having a mortgage at all, being debt free or carrying a very small loan amount on low cost property, Maine is something you can warm up to.

The cost of property and car insurance in the 4th lowest crime state is low too. So when you consider what is important in quality of life, the rural state of Maine with four season outdoor drop dead gorgeous beauty wins hands down. Everything.

What is important in life is family, relationships, feeling safe, content, and that you matter in a small Maine town. You do. Because everyone is more connected, works together for the greater good. It is home made, down to Earth. Common sense and basic values, beliefs still apply. Everything is not wishy washy, spun, insincere.

Look Maine over. Look her all over up and down, inside and out and find what you are missing where you live now if it is a concrete jungle. Noisy, expensive and just something is missing. Get to Maine, don't keep her waiting. Start living, enjoying life the way it was meant to be.

10/3/2010
Maine's Economy as of 2010
Someone once told me that..."Maine is a state with two income levels...the rich and poor" For the most part, I agree with him. Out of state people, the rich folks, tend to live along Maine's coastline; the poor everywhere else. However, they are a few lucky souls who do manage to the reach medium income level and they are usually in Healthcare, small businesses, or some other field, but I am not sure exactly their numbers; maybe somewhere between the two extremes?

8/15/2010
las vegas nv
Their is always a lot to do. living in las vegas is very fast paced and sometimes stressful

8/10/2010
Response to Don't stay too long
As a Mainer most of my life I'm 54, I have to agree and am taken by the accuracy of your observations of Portland,Maine. Yes, it has a beautiful harbor, and area coastline. But the natives aren't friendly, and even for us residents its hard to get to know your neighbor. Most people up here say "hi" then keep to themselves. Its the Maine way, independent. I moved two hours up the coast a few years back and even I was considered an "outsider." My accent didn't even help, nor that I was a third generation Mainer. As far as the diversity of color in Portland, you saw the newly arrived Somalian population.
Their presence has altered the streetscape of Portland dramatically. After many issues since their transplanted move from Georgia, I've come to the belief that too much diversity in a small city isn't successful, a balance needs to be made. With so many cultures now in this city of about 70,000 much gets lost in the translation. A larger city can handle the numbers. A local elementary school has 100 different dialects to address. The jobs are primarily seasonal low paying ones. Lots of waterfront Old Port waitress and kitchen help. Or retail work. None of it really pays the bills. Maine is a heavy tax state, and they are always looking for ways to add even more taxes. Now they want to tax our soda, and junk purchases. They have instituted a salt water fishing license, this use to be free and they are chasing every dog owner who hasn't registered their mutt. My vet warned of this at the recent visit for a rabies shot. The state now requires their office to submit names of owners so local enforcement will knock on your door with a sizable fine. he said "I'm not joking, clients have called me
sharing this." So remember there is a reason Maine is called, "Vacationland" thats the way they want it and of course the wealthy retiree's with deep pockets so they can continue to discourage any business
that would offer tax revenue from setting up shop here.

7/28/2010
Considering....
Maine is a pleasant enough state although I've grown tired of the long winters
after so many years. Its summer now and am loving the 90 degree heat& humidity.
It makes me aware of just how much of the year I "put up" with the less desirable season of snow, cold, and ice. Taxes are a big deal in this state as it discourages any form of small business growth therefore relying on its citizens and tourists to support the big government this state has become. The state slogan "the way life should be" really applies to the wealthy visitors or transplant out of state retiree's and not the average resident who can barely afford to live here. Simply put our cost of living is very high. Portland is a great city,not too big or small with a variety of venues to satisfy most tastes, from restaurants, arts, beautiful ocean views. Crime is growing as we have become a suburb of Boston. Much ethnic diversity is ever present in the area as well with as many as 100 different languages spoken at a local elementary Portland school. Real estate prices have tanked as most of the country's with waterfront still commanding a high $$$. Our proximity to New Hampshire and the White Mountains for hiking are a plus as well as their beaches and zero sales tax for shoppers.

7/24/2010
The Way Life Should Be
Maine is Beautiful

7/9/2010
The Way Life Should Be
Our State Motto is "Maine -The way life should be" and it is most of the time. However traffic is getting just awful in many popular spots - give yourself extra time of you are coming for a visit! Great place to visit for beaches, hiking, scenic places, historic places, and most outdoor sports (although I hear our waves are a little small for surfers!)Unfortunately for those thinking about moving here - pay is low and cost of living is high. State government spending is out of control. You might want to think twice or wait a few years to see if it gets better. COme visit for camping or skiing and I don't think you'll regret it!

2/14/2010
Climate
Cold in the winter. Great spring, summer and fall.

12/28/2009
Lots of Outdoor activities
Maine is pretty quiet the farther north you go. The larger cities are located in the southern tip of the state near the NH border or withing 40 or so miles of the ocean. The rest is basically wilderness. The entire state is very sparsley populated

12/28/2009
Wonderful Trade Off
Although Maine is not noted for being at the cultural center of the Northeast, only a couple of professional theaters and very few museums and such, it clearly makes up for that in its Recreational opportunities. The beaches and coast line in the summer, Mountain sports all year round and of course our numerous culinary delights!

12/9/2009
Beware of falling in love during the summer!
The winter is SIX MONTHS LONG! In some areas, everything closes up for the season. People stay in their homes. Lots of people get depressed. If you don't have a strong network of people, don't move here. It is very isolating.

1 2 3

Compare Maine, Maine to any other place in the USA.

Select a New Section: