Salt Lake City, Utah Comments

"Has it's good and bad"

Has it's good and bad - 4/10/2009
8 1
Dave C

The good: Beautiful scenery; outdoor activities galore; variety of weather; good schools; fairly low crime rate; nice people. Yes the summers are hot but the evenings are pleasant. Fall is gorgeous and pleasing; Winter is fun..for a while then you get burned-out on it by late January.
The bad: Horrid wages (Mormons are notorious cheapskates); horrendous house prices; cliquish Mormons - they tend to take themselves a bit too seriously and only hang with their owm - poor social skills; traffic has gotten crazy.

back to Salt Lake City, Utah Add a New Comment Report Abuse

Login to reply to Comments. (Membership is Free)

More Salt Lake City, Utah Comments

Jay
Clackamas, OR

nepotism unlimited but........ - 11/15/2016

I really wanted to finish my review of SLC only because I wanted to be fair also.I did have some good times there but also had some bad ones as well.I also did get some great working experience from living there.Absolute lack of serious professionalism.The stories about the inversion every winter are all true.Every year I would come down with upper respiratory lung infection and I`m a generally healthy man.I did enjoy the mountains and going up to Snowbird and Park City as well.My biggest complaint was the nepotism that existed there.What is nepotism?Let me explain.Nepotism is when you have several companies that are "family owned"and only the family is going to make it.You are not going to make it.There is not going to be any kind of advancement so to speak.The only company that I worked for down there that was not like this was the Utah Transit Authority.I was so sick of family like the previous story about the bosses son that was an absolute asshole that could have a friend work there but if you wanted your friend to work there the answer was a flat out NO!I did in all honesty know some lets just say OK people there but once again,Jay you are a great guy and do a great job for us but that is as far as it is going to go.What would you think?It was very depressing living there for my ex-wife and kids.I don`t know if it is the altitude or too much sunshine?There is something wrong there.The liquor laws are stupid also.I can remember my ex-wife and me going up to Park City one time for dinner and I wanted to order a cocktail and the hostess told me that I would have to get my "setups" and I asked her what exactly she was talking about and she said there were "minibottles"that I had to purchase.It was so confusing to me that I simply told her to cancel the drink.That puts Utah in a nutshell.FRUSTRATION!Glad that I moved and have not regretted it since.

Jay
Clackamas, OR

let me tell you about the nepotistic society calle - 11/14/2016

I lived in SLC from 7/15/1980 to 7/15/1988.I know it may sound strange that I lived there exactly 8 years to the day but it is true!My story is lengthy so please bear with me.I`m going to be completely honest with you and tell you the good and the bad only because I did have some good times there and some bad times there also.I moved there because the economy in the Portland/Vancouver area was in horrible shape and I was looking for employment and sad to say at the time there just was not much to choose from.I went to SLC back in 1979 and had an old neighbor who still lives there and will also tell you that he has NO FRIENDS even to this day!I actually was offered a job with a company at the time but had to refuse it because my ex-wife at the time did not want to relocate.At the time I really knew nothing about the area other than it did have some OK job prospects and that was it.One thing is the wages.You either work for nothing or don`t work at all.It is very difficult to make a really decent living there.I was the type of man that wanted my ex-wife to not work and stay at home and take care of our children which I personally had no problem with.I wanted a traditional family and did not mind being the bread winner.Sounds great.One problem.I could not make enough to keep her home and she had to work also. Well,after much difficulty I did find a job with First Security Bank which is no longer there anymore and what a nightmare that was.The head of purchasing had his son which was against "company policy" to have a family member in the same building and what an asshole he was.Once again,the Mormon mentality and it did not matter if you went to church or not you were still a Mormon.Kind of like being in an exclusive "club".The "son"could have a "friend"work there and also use the company van at company expense.The bank actually paid for their gas from Ogden to SLC while those of us that lived away had to pay out of our own pockets and at $4.00 an hour it was tough.The son also had the mentality and told me one time,"you better do what I say or I will tell my dad".If you could only imagine working in an environment like this.This guy was a real asshole! I used to go to work absolutely pissed off and my ex-wife used to say that she could not wait until I could find something else.That was in the early 80`s.I then went to work for Utah Transit Authority and that was an improvement over the bosses son but it also had its drawbacks.The Union that represented us really was an entity and just there and that was all.What a difference from living in an area where the Union is a union!I forgot that Utah was a right-to-work state and had no idea what that meant.What it means is that you have the right to not join a Union.This keeps the wages low.Dealing with the people that used the transit system was a challenge in itself.There were some real basket cases.Unlike where I came from where people knew where they were going and which bus to take.I did enjoy the mountains and going up to Wyoming because that was where you could buy beer that was more than 3.2 percent.The beer in Utah SUCKED!The Uintah Mountains are really beautiful and the desert is spectacular also.The people also had less respect for their forests and campgrounds than where I came from.Oregon and Washington are very environmental states.Utah is hatu(hate you)spelled backwards.The mentality that existed there was also,"you could work for `us`and that is fine but once my son or daughter come of age you are history!You have no future here!Yes,there is more.

p
Draper, UT

Terrible Place to Live - DO NOT MOVE HERE - 9/28/2016

I have lived in many states - CA, NY, VA, WI, & AK and I must say that living in Utah has been the worst experience of my life. My family moved here in 2007. Once our neighbors found out we had zero intention of joining the Mormon church, they ignored us. Let me repeat this, if you are not Mormon and not willing to convert, you will be treated like shit. The only good thing I can say about Utah is there is beautiful scenery, plenty of outdoor activities and low taxes. That is it!!! The schools are awful (per pupil funding is one of the lowest in the nation). Gender inequality is very high (Women are treated like they should stay home barefoot and pregnant). Very little diversity - 80% white at least. Homophobic society. Very high rates of depression here and high rates of suicide attempts. Don't let the low unemployment rate/good economy fool you. There is a reason why Utah has such a low unemployment rate, PEOPLE DON'T WANT TO MOVE HERE because they know the about the culture. Last words to anyone who is considering moving here, DON'T DO IT!

Ashley

Lonliest place we have ever lived - 9/21/2016

Married, one child, in our early 30's. We moved from DC to UT for work and our child's health. As converts to the LDS (Mormon) faith, we were thrilled. We thought, more Christian minded welcoming people. We chose Sugarhouse because it had at least a bit of diversity--and have never been surrounded by so many who claim to know and love God while treating people like shit. Not inviting certain kids to parties, certain families to neighborhood gatherings as a way of making those people "know" they aren't welcome if they don't look or act as they "ought to" according to someone in the in-crowd--really, an in crowd, are we in middle school all over again? We had more frinds and I mean genuine, lifelong go to bat for you friends in a month in DC or the middle east or Florida while living those places. We were inviting people to our home, reaching out, hosting all the time in an effort to get to know people and not expect them to do all the work but sadly, we've never met so many entitled, holier-than-thou, exclusive, coddled people in our lives. Most claiming superior families, lineage,church positions etc... I don't care about lineage if you treat others like garbage people. Sadly we can see the way nonlds people get treated as many assume we are not LDS because we don't fit their mold and it is pathetic. We love the excellent snow and waterskiing, national parks, beautiful outdoors and cost of living but they aren't worth it to if these are the people we are surrounded by. Everything is a competition, having kids, best car, designer workout clothes that people never actually workout in... and who can talk the most garbage on the new/different/lds/non-Lds people etc. We bought our home near great schools which is difficult in a place where people care more about the size garage or home they have, and sadly it led us to an elitest group of people. We cannot wait to move back to a place filled with good people who appreciate differences, genuinely care about others and don't think they are better than everyone else.

Mike

AN HONEST REVIEW OF SALT LAKE CITY - 9/10/2016

I have lived here on and off because OF family and family alone otherwise I'd be gone already. The PROS and only pros are: beautiful mountains, hiking, recreation, beautiful lakes and nature. Ok---if thats enough for you you will love it here. If you care about your health and sanity: CONS:----Extremely superficial people. Every fat Utah housewife drives a $40-50,000 SUV, Lexus or BMW---so if youre a single man moving here be ready to take care of a below-average partner who will expect some very pricey shows of income from you. (Im not being rude, its the truth---these women don't know how to use a treadmill or back out of a parking space yet they all drive a luxury car)---the men all own 20 foot long brand new pickup trucks. The struggle and competition to show WEALTH is suffocating and meeting a genuine person with a smile is next to impossible. Jobs? plenty of them but most of them will fire you based on if you go to church or not (Mormon) and again, if you're a big girl with kids you're safe----single and non-religious get judged and quickly moved to the bottom of any promotion list. (Again, lived here on and off for 20 years so making anything up it a moot point) ---this is NOT a place for alternative people who don't want children and enjoy making fast friendships with open minds. I made more friends in one weekend in Chicago and California than I have been able to here in 5 years. People are not warm, inviting and all they seem to care about is making children and paying for that brand new car that literally just arrived at the dealership. Another thing I need to note here---and don't remove this review because people deserve to know----Salt Lake City, Millcreek in particular is bringing thousands of Muslims here from Somalia. It's starting to look like the Middle East----even though Millcreek used to be one of the most high--end areas but now has section 8 communities full of Muslims alongside $400,000 homes. Be very mindful of this because the passive culture here does not think it's a big deal yet----but it ABSOLUTELY is if you have paid attention to what happened to France and Germany. Also---DO NOT come here to retire. My 62 year old mom gets $650 from the state and was almost homeless. While they have no problem paying $2,000 a month to room and board Muslims and welfare recipients they DO NOT take care of their elderly and only have two 50+ community apartment complexes. This is something that I feel like is very important for anyone older to know who is considering coming here to spend their later years. The air quality and inversion is REALLY BAD----and in the winter some people will wear dust masks to go outside. It kind of feels like when you're trying to breathe in a steamy bathroom and it feels heavy. So---if you want to come here to make money and have a career in medicine or accounting you will do really really well----if youre single---be prepared for some very demanding singles and not a diverse (or good--looking) selection.

rylee

Snowboarding - 3/14/2016

The snow is great!

Paul N.

Salt Lake City - 1/24/2016

A great place to live

thomas

People in Salt Lake City smell disgusting and are - 7/9/2015

Salt Lake city is home to some of the most uneducated and foul smelling residents in the United States. I would avoid this place at all costs!!! They natives steal, lie, fight and lack personal hygiene habits. Try Denver and pass on Salt Lake City.

JU

Great place to live in 1987 - 5/10/2015

If you are skier,great...go to Park City, if you can afford it.If you are LDS (mormon) move to Idaho.Bad air quality 9 months of the year from Ogden to Provo,the entire valley now days.Did anyone said kids...asthma? Taxes are up and up; property tax,sales tax, gas tax...etc.Road infrastructure does not support the ever increasing traffic anymore. Avoid living west of 700 East and 3300 South if you have a family.If you intend to move to Draper/Sandy area check deadly radon levels before you buy/rent anything.Rated sixth in 2015 most overpriced real estate in the country due to poor quality homes and overpriced high desert dirt beneath it.Other than that business is good and powder days are unforgettable.

Dan

Inversions - 3/30/2015

The only real negative above and beyond those common to all big cities is the air quality. The inversions especially in the winter are just horrific. There are just too many days where it is like trying to breath mud in the valley. On the other hand if you live in the mountains the winter commute up and down the passes can be nerve wracking, but that is offset by living in one of the greatest places on the planet, the Utah mountains. So the deal is to find work or retire on the mountain and live on it too. Then you have the best of all worlds; nature in all its glory and the culture that a big city affords make this place just about perfect...

William

Air Quality - 1/23/2014

Beautiful city when the air is clear. Terrible pollution in the winter. State government will not act to improve air quality.

Brianna

All That Glitters is NOT Gold - 3/14/2013

Salt Lake City and surrounding suburbs are "interesting" to live in. On the plus side: the scenery is beautiful, the health care is excellent, the climate has all four seasons (summers are hot and dry, not humid), the mountains block strong winds, the city is very clean, low crime, and there are great outdoor activities (skiing, hiking, fishing, etc.)and the people are VERY friendly, when you first arrive. On the bad side: the air quality/pollution is terrible in the winter (people that "never get sick" are also affected by it, with migraines, sinus headaches, sore throat, etc.) The cost of living is very high, not Cali high, but still very overpriced. The people who are VERY friendly, are usually Mormons. When you move into a new neighborhood, they will bring you baked goods, shovel your driveway, and offer to watch your kids, all for "free." They take these opportunities to try and convert you to become a Mormon. When they finally realize that you either have your own church/religion or that you just don't want to join their church, the acts of "kindness" stop. The funny part is that they only "work on you" for 6 months to a year; they give up too quickly. I've lived in places where other churches can keep working on you for over ten years. The bad part is that once they know that you won't join, all of the "friendliness" stops. You are no longer included in neighborhood BBQ's, and your kids stop getting birthday party invitations from the neighbor kids. (Even though we pretty much live like Mormons, we have actually been told by a Mormon Bishop, that our kids could no longer play with his kids, because we would not convert to Mormonism.) With the job market, it can be the same way. Mormons usually only hire other Mormons (no, you can't ask about religion at a job interview, but Mormon's will list their Bishop as a reference and list their LDS mission as experience, this and other ways are how they can tell). They also prefer light skinned people (unless you are fluent in Spanish). The good paying jobs usually go to very light skinned Mormons (they even discriminate within their own group). If you are anything but very white, you'd better be a doctor, or a research scientist if you want a job. There is a large LGBT population in the actual city, but many of them struggle to find a job with decent wages, even if they have a college degree, unless they go to great lengths to hide their orientation. All of my previous comments sound nasty, but that is MY experience. I am NOT speaking for everyone. Here's the funny thing, my best friend is a Mormon. For every 4 or 5 that aren't so nice, there is one that is an Angel and doesn't care about your religion and will not try to convert you. Not all Mormons are the same (of course). The only other issue is that there is no real separation of church and state here. While other kids get spring break in March, Utah's revolves around Easter. High School kids are allowed to leave campus during study hall and go across the street to a Mormon church for religious education. They claim that it's not a violation of church and state, because the Mormon church is not on school property. This happens during school, in the middle of the day. The LDS/Mormon church owns a very large amount of property/businesses here. If you are white, straight, and you are willing to convert, then this is the perfect place to live.

Mormons Suck!!! - 2/27/2013

Hello, my name is Luke, and I have to share some experiences I had living in Utah as a person. When I first came here, the first thing I noticed how much I hated Mormons, here are my top 5 reasons 1) Mormons are too nice and too accepting, they are always smiling and waving and being happy and friendly to everyone, they should be in a DR Suess Book!!! 2) Mormons donate time and money to non profit organizations and other humanitarian aids throughout the state, country, and world. Who do they think they are??? They think their soooo cool helping other people!!!! 3) Mormons live longer because they don't smoke, drink, do drugs, kill people, etc... Which means they will have longer healthier lives, are they trying to make us look bad????? 4) Mormons don't lie, steal, or cheat!! Which makes all of us who do look even worse!! And all of us who make money doing those things don't get accepted in society. 5) Mormons keep trying to tell me how happy they are and how their religion helps them and how I should read their book and come to church with them!!! Gosh, don't they know that i hate being happy?!?!!?! I am perfectly fine living in my pit of agony!!! That's why I hate Mormons, and that's why I hate Utah!!!

Mormons Suck!!! - 2/27/2013

Mormons Mormons Mormons - 2/27/2013

Mormons Mormons Mormons - 2/27/2013

Solissa

Small business , bad environmental laws segregat - 2/20/2013

Being a small business owner here in Slc Sugar House to be exact , I'm here to tell u that since right after the holidays business has tanked , this has been the worst. 6 weeks since i opened in 2005 and being a new business naturally biz had no where to go but up since 2008 we have been on a steady decline but nothing like lately I have spoken with other small businesses from gas stations/convenient stores to other many types of retailers and they are struggling more than ever. some that have been open for over 20 years , So I don't know where u are getting your information from but we are in the fox holes feeling it first hand. Small business are the heartbeat of this country and the masses must be shopping at walmart , target and other big box corporate stores , so if that's where you get your statistics u need to address the real issues at hand. We will not be able to be in business for much longer unless the community start supporting local,, check out the buy local first website and it will open your eyes, you are comparing numbers that don't affect the mom and pop shops, Also Utah has some of the highest taxes in the nation , they tax food which is scandalous , property taxes are higher they are based on some arbitrary numbers not what you can get for your house but what the property tax access your house for its completely off base here , I had to pay property taxes on 335,000 when all I could sell it for was 230,00 where do they get off getting those numbers ? , the environmental laws here are so bad we have the worst air in the nation , when will they implement laws protecting this majestic state when we are wearing gas masks just to walkabout.Who are these people that come up with the statistics above , they have there heads in the sand , is it the LDS church trying to sell there state as being The best place to live so they can convert as many people as possible and control free enterprise and jobs for people who don't belong to the church, remember our constitution stated never ever should state and church be entwined, so while u uare trying to paint some fictitious picture keep in mind just a few issues that I have mentioned, there are plenty more problems here that need to be addressed, I had no idea when I moved here that this was such a segregated state , it's so difficult for young adults to fit in if they ate not part of the LDS church there is no middle ground , it's time to wake up and join the rest of the nation and start thinking about where we want this state wants to be in 5 years,I hope someone is listening because if u are not things will only get worse , I have watched the demise over several years. if the economy is so much better why doesn't anyone have any money? Or is it that the church only supports church run businesses that is very scary and goes against free enterprise. They might have settled here but it's time to stop controlling every aspect of things and let this city flourish for every person whether they are LDS OR NOT,

Lew

Worst air in the Country - 1/22/2013

Salt lake city today has the very worst air quality in the whole US. It earns that title way to often in my opinion. If you have this vision of a beautiful intermountain west city that you want to move to SLC is not it. It is a high crime,Lots of drugs and very dirty city with rude people. I have lived in alot of places but would have to rank this place the lowest I have lived in. Please Look at Denver, Boise , Spokane or many others as a much more honest and friendly place to live than here. Look up the Air Quality index in this Sterling report and compare it to any of the other places listed. The winter air quality here is terrible. I can not wait to move from this place.

David

Utah sucks!! - 9/28/2012

I've lived here since I was born. I was born lds. When growing up I realized how brainwashed the Mormons are. Now I don't even attend church. Salt Lake City is so bad. There are people here who are so prejudice and I'm talking about Mormons. It's really sad to see how they are. They are very in denial. I grew up with so many Mormons in. My life and boy you don't want to know the rest. They are fake. They act like they are too good and so on. Honest,y I have no comment. I'm so happy our family is moving soon. And I read some of the reviews and I must say most of it is true. Good luck for the new comers that's all ill say. I mean I know there's others states that are bad but bad is when religion takes over the state. I mean come on they built a new mall here which is called "city creek" and it has rules no way this is too much. People who love utah will hate this comment but they need to open there eyes more

Daleelad
Houston, TX

My objective view - It's not for everyone - 9/19/2012

I have lived in SLC and many other places, so I feel I can be objective here: First it's a beautiful city. It is surrounded by picturesque mountain ranges. There are really very few "ugly" areas. Most neighborhoods have some charm. The weather is definite four seasons. Winter is cold but seldom severe. Summer gets hot but the dryness really helps. The evenings are cool. Spring is the most unpredictable. Cold and rainy for a few days, then gorgeous and warm for a few days, then repeated this pattern until summer hits. (Of course I've seen springs where it won't stop raining or springs where it's sunny every day from April on). Fall is exquisite. Beautiful colors and temperatures. If you love the great outdoors, you will LOVE it here! Fishing, hiking, snow-skiing, water-skiing, golf, walking, bicycling. It's ALL here. If you are not an outdoorsy person you may get bored (especially in winter if you don't ski). The Economy: it seems to be VERY cyclical here. The pay is very low (they're tightwads) and good professional jobs are not very plentiful. Hourly service jobs pay pretty low. The cost of housing is very high considering the poor wages. Renting, in my opinion, has always been fairly reasonable. Crime: Not bad overall for such a large city, but it's gotten worse... in the northwest quadrant of the valley mostly. There are gangs in that area. The people: I think the people are really pretty very friendly overall (compared to say...Phoenix and other cities). However, the Mormons don't really want to associate with non-members. Most of their friendliness I find to be superficial and/or forced. They know how to act around each other but not around strangers (Non-LDS). They are just so engrossed in their church life. I personally don't care for most Mormons but I have worked for some and have been neighbors with some who don't discriminate. If you are not a church member you can make friends with other non-LDS pretty easily if you just put yourself out there. Go to a different church or join a club or organization (PTA, Masons, Elks, bowling league, fishing club, coffee groups)...Once you start meeting nice people in SLC they introduce you to their friends and your social life will blossom. Kids: I do think it's a good place to raise kids but the Mormon kids can be cliquish. As I explained earlier non-Mormon kids need to get out and find other kids of their ilk. Culture etc.: This a good community for arts, entertainment and food. Good dance company, symphony, public radio and arts festivals. For young people there is some good night-life. The University of Utah provides a lot of culture. The actual part of the valley that comprises Salt Lake City proper is actually fairly liberal. The suburbs are the conservative parts. Education: Top notch in my books. Good schools and University. Mormons value education. In conclusion: if the dominant Mormon culture is a deal-breaker for you then don't aggravate yourself by moving here. That being said, they DO care about their community and it shows. But they do make the rules.

Next >>PEOPLE