Fort Lauderdale, FL Voting


Reviews



Download our custom City Report to see exclusive
data on cost of living, crime, climate, and more.
Fort Lauderdale, FL is a vibrant city that is home to a diverse range of people and a variety of industries. The city also has an active political scene with many local candidates running for various offices. In the recent election cycle, Fort Lauderdale was host to several mayoral elections, which saw an incumbent mayor re-elected with 68% of the vote, while four other candidates split the remaining 32%. This election was closely watched by the citizens of Fort Lauderdale as the new mayor promised to focus on creating jobs and improving public safety. Additionally, there were numerous city council races throughout Fort Lauderdale, with contested races in each district. With multiple candidates running in each race it created an intensely competitive atmosphere, where every vote counts. The results revealed an interesting dynamic between the different districts and their respective candidates, with some races being decided by only a few votes. This election cycle showed that even in such a diverse and large city like Fort Lauderdale politics still matters and can have a big impact on the future of its citizens.

The political climate in Fort Lauderdale, FL is moderately liberal.

Broward County, FL is strongly liberal. In Broward County, FL 64.5% of the people voted Democrat in the last presidential election, 34.7% voted for the Republican Party, and the remaining 0.8% voted Independent.

In the last Presidential election, Broward county remained overwhelmingly Democratic, 64.5% to 34.7%.
Broward county voted Democratic in every Presidential election since 2000.


The BestPlaces liberal/conservative index

Fort Lauderdale, FL is moderately liberal.


Broward County, Florida is strongly liberal.

Miami-Fort Lauderdale-Pompano Beach Metro Area is somewhat liberal.

Florida is leaning conservative.

The BestPlaces liberal/conservative index is based on recent voting in national elections, federal campaign contributions by local residents, and consumer personality profiles.
VoteWord™

Displaying 20 years of Presidential voting, visualized in one word.

Fort Lauderdale, Florida: D D D D D D

How It Works:
Here at BestPlaces, we were looking at the voting patterns since the 2000 election and realized that we could express the results of each election as one letter. R if the Republican Party candidate won, D if the Democratic Party candidate won and I if the Independent Party candidate won. The six elections (2000, 2004, 2008, 2012, 2016, 2020) would be expressed as six-letter word (R R D R R).

Then we went a little further and added the dimension of magnitude. If the difference of victory was greater than 10 percent, the letter is upper case, and lower case if the difference was less than 10 percent. This allows us to see interesting voting patterns at just a glance.

Here's the VoteWord for Iowa d r d d r. In the last six elections the state has been closely contested, voting narrowly for the Republican Party candidate in 2016 and 2020 after voting for the Democratic Party in 2008 and 2012. Virginia (r r d d d D) has voted for the Democratic Party in the last three elections.


Individual Campaign Contributions in Fort Lauderdale, FL

In the last 4 years (2018-2021), there were 35,500 contributions totaling $37,502,979 to the Democratic Party and liberal campaigns, averaging $1,056 per contribution.

In the last 4 years, there were 9,512 contributions totaling $6,210,230 to the Republican Party and conservative campaigns, averaging $653 per contribution.

(source: Federal Election Commission)

Broward County, Florida Politics Voting
Broward County, Florida Politics Voting
Broward County, Florida Politics Voting History
Reviews for Fort Lauderdale
    See all ()

Fort Lauderdale and South Florida are eclectic, which makes for a tough adjustment if you're from a homogenous area. The secret is to find the location of all the things  More

   |    Reply

Like any city, Fort Lauderdale has it's good points and it's bad. On the good side you can't beat the weather here, especially October to June. No snow and no winter  More

   |    Reply

Over 9 years ago

My husband I are are from Illinois and Indiana. We moved here five years ago and we still HATE it! In the Midwest people are friendly and care about others. I can't  More

   |    Reply

Start Your Review of Fort Lauderdale

Housing
Compare Fort Lauderdale, cost of living
Compare food, housing, utilities, and more in Fort Lauderdale, Florida to any other city in the US.