We have place information on 13 very cool categories, pick one or scroll down to see an overview.

Las_Vegas, Nevada  309 Reviews | Leave a Comment

Comments

weather - 7/21/2015
Summer is as HOT as the bowels of HADES. Within the last ten years or so the heat has steadily segued into November after getting an early start in May.
However, if you are done with ice and snow, this is your place. Now, if you were a Thanksgiving turkey, done to a turn with moist heat or choosing the dry heat would be moot as either way you are cooked. Oh yes, it is dry. Buy stock in skin products.

Living Las Vegas - 5/14/2015
I lived in LV for 3 years and really loved, coming from NY, the peace and quiet living plus the hot weather made me happy. I am looking forward to go back. I was recommend Southwest for residence.

Moving to LV - 5/12/2015
Every time I hear Steve Wynn on the news complaining there is no real economic recovery, I know his LV profits had tanked again..Save the LV strip designed for tourists and bunch of caged golf course communities around the suburbs, the rest is a mostly filthy, beggar sprinkled desert metropolis.Half of the retail stores are empty premisses.The real estate market is as speculative as a Russian roulette dice chuck.Nevada State is broke and is desperate to fund itself through issuing traffic citations.Definitely not a good place to grow a family. June through September is over 100F and the air pollution tops 10 in the country.LV huge water problem seems to be looming on the horizon and the outdated spaghetti bowl highway interchange is jam crammed with traffic as ever.Most of North LV between Rainbow&Graig is a famous no go area for tourists and newcomers too.But shoving all this under the rug the rest is all great and your Mega Bucks Jack Pot is waiting for you.

Nice to visit once, not to live there ever - 5/10/2015
Las Vegas has changed forever since the invention of the online,Indian and Macao casinos.Save the outdated Strip, there is little else to see.Half of the city retail is dead, its filthy, crime is rampant,at around 8am and 3pm the city traffic crams into this insane outdated spaghetti bowl interchange freeway.June through September is over 100F.The bunch of suburban golden cage communities with its golf courses stick as sore thumbs around town,reminding me of the Panama City expat camps.Fly over is highly recommended.

I LOVE LAS VEGAS - 12/3/2014
I absolutely adore this magnificent city and have lived here for the majority of my life. The suburbs are beautiful and most of the people I meet are very kind. The restaurants are incredible and rival both New York City and Paris. The shopping is world class. The shows are world class. Many of the homes in the affluent suburbs are beautiful. I highly recommend Las Vegas!

Word of Life Christian Academy Pre-school - 12/2/2014
I read a poor review regarding Word of Life Christian Academy Pre-school. That person must of been anger about something, because that pre-school is AWESOME! The pre-school director has been there over 10 years. She can't be that bad. Just visit the school for yourself. Don't trust the reviews, however, most of them are positive ones. And no way is the school all about money, it is one of the cheaper schools in the city. Make sure you read the dates on these reviews because it is 2014 people and that school has really grown!!!

Deborah
Las Vegas, NV
Las Vegas, A Personal View - 11/30/2014
I've lived here for 15 years. I've found that Las Vegas has a lot to offer. The cost of living is reasonable, housing is affordable, and there is always something to do either in Las Vegas or the surrounding areas. You can generally get a buffet for less than $10. There are free concerts, plays, and shows. There are free magazines that will show you where they are and when. As far as employment, it's about par with the nation. There are many agencies to help you through the tough times. My only complaint is the summer heat.

Not a nice place to live - 11/17/2014
I have lived here for almost 8 years and hate it. The only thing keeping me here is the low cost of living.
My biggest gripes are the sketchy people ,climate, and crime. My husband and I live in a condo in Summerlin, which is one of the nicest areas. Our neighbor was just evicted for conducting a Meth lab. My husband and I recently took a vacation to Utah and were amazed at how normal and nice everyone seemed. I did not want to come back to drug addicts, purple hair and criminals.
Summers are HOT!!! Unbearable. What's really disapointing is I look forward to the fall and spring mild temperatures but it is ruined by wind!
Crime is out of control. I drove to the east side of town and noticed lots of police activity. We have had numerous problems in our complex and police are too slow to respond, if they respond at all. I guess they are overloaded with calls!
Home prices are very low compared to other states. So, once you buy property here, it will be difficult to find a comparable home in other states if you decide Vegas is not for you.
The lure of the strip, attracted my husband and I to move to Vegas. Ironically it's the crime and corruption of living near the strip that is driving us out!

Granny's pros & cons - 10/29/2014
Most places have pros and cons of why some people like living there and some people don't. Just look at what is important to you. Las Vegas can be Sin City, with gambling and sexy entertainment of the "night life". But it also has many quiet, friendly neighborhoods, malls, good jobs, and many churches.
PROS: I do not go to "the strip" or casinos, but there are many activities to pursue around the area. There are many museums, cultural & art programs; check out the Springs Preserve or the Smith center. The layout makes it easy to get around town. School district has good bus transportation. There are many national parks near here, as well as Hoover Dam and Lake Mead. I can take an inexpensive bus ride to visit relatives & friends in southern California (or the beach!) if I don't want to make the four or five hour drive. It's a six hour drive to Salt Lake City and nine hours to lovely Lake Tahoe. Plane fares to almost anywhere are very reasonable. No state income taxes!
CONS: Schools can be a bit tricky. Need to look at charter or magnet schools (no cost to families) for the better ones. It is HOT in July & August (desert climate), but no humidity makes it bearable. Much preferable to heat & humidity of NJ or Alabama!! And there is air conditioning in businesses, homes, and cars.

Las Vegas Is a Great Place to Live - 10/27/2014
Las Vegas is a great city to live in! Been here over 10 years...moved here from small town Northern Utah. So many things to love: no snow to shovel, no icy roads (usually...it is a desert), affordable housing, no state income tax, easy roadtrip distance to CA (without CA taxes), close to recreational opportunities (Mount Charleston, Red Rock Canyon, Zion National Park, Bryce Canyon, Grand Canyon, Lake Mead, Death Valley), and low airfare to most of the country for travel. Surprisingly, I have a number of family members that have moved here from Hawaii and Utah due to lower cost of living and accessibility. Hawaiian Airlines flies direct to Vegas while SLC,UT is a 6 hour roadtrip! I find it interesting how negative some of these postings come across....The truth is that most locals that live in town for a permanent amount of time do not live on the Strip. We live in outer suburban areas with our families and pets. We go for walks in the mornings around the park and have outdoor bbq's with neighbors. I can only speak for myself, but some of these negative postings sound like they're coming from transient people running away from problems 'back home.' Moving to Las Vegas WILL NOT remove the problems you are running away from. Nevada history is full of pioneers that are tough, resilient characters that set out to make this desert a comfortable place we now can call home. For residents living in Las Vegas but are complaining that things aren't the way they would like, I encourage them to involve themselves with the community to create change. Las Vegas is a really big small town. We are NOT Los Angeles or New York, but do share some of the same restaurants, nightlife, and amenities! Compared to Utah, there are several occupations that pay substantially more in Las Vegas. The minimum wage in Nevada is above federal requirements. I feel for the pessimists on these forums because I really don't think they are taking advantage of what this city has to offer! On a side note for anyone that enjoys gardening, fall/winter/spring offers an easy growing season for cool season veggies without any work. My citrus fruits ripen from late October-April and I've just about picked all my ripe pomegranates off the tree in late October. As the weather cools, my hot tub gets used much more than the swimming pool and it's great weather outdoors for a fire-pit.

Trying to relocate to Vegas - 10/16/2014
I have been applying for jobs and sending in resumes all over the Nevada area, I am trying to relocate there from Alabama. I know at some point I will just have to quit my job and go out there and look but I need to save a little more. If it was just me I'd be ok but I have a little one to consider. Are there any companies willing to hire someone from out of state without a college degree. I have years of working experience just not a degree.

Schools - 10/2/2014
Not a fan of The Las Vegas school system...so I am using this site to compare other school systems for my two young boys.

Natalia
Las Vegas, NV
Las Vegas living,... - 8/16/2014
We lived on the east coast, in New Jersey, for 20 years. After living in Las Vegas for here weeks I looked at my husband and said,"Please never make me go back there!" I'm going to do some comparisons for anyone considering a move from the east coast. Here's the deal. In NJ the cost of living is very high. This would be fine if NJ actually offered a good quality of living, but it does not. The weather is miserable most of the time, the shore is nice enough for the eight weeks per year you can use it, and there was ever anything we enjoyed doing. So basically, we were broke only to live somewhere we weren't getting the most out of life. Maybe it was just our town ( Sewell,Washington Township), but I found many of the people to be cold, competitive and unfriendly. I wasn't raised to be competitive and opportunistic. I come from a warm and loving family, but warmth and kindness are not the norm where we were living. When I lived in NJ I found I never enjoyed the company I was in.

After living here in Vegas for a year I can note some of the differences,etc.

The rent here is basically half of what it was in NJ, there is never a shortage of things to do. Neither of us are drinkers or gamblers either. There's always concerts at the hotel pools, hiking, very scenic nature, shows for everyone, and lots of free stuff to do as well. The arts here, are very big. People back east were sports obsessed and I was so $&?!'&@ tired of hearing people rant and rave about the eagles and the giants as though they were on the payroll. Another big draw for me is The fast paced competitiveness of back east doesn't seem to be nearly as present here. Most of our neighbors talk to us. One of the the best things is that the sun shines here about 300 days per year. We have seasons but the winter is much milder and mostly sunny. I don't know if well always live here, but I never want to live in the northeast again. I couldn't wait to get away from the whole energy of that place. That's another thing, Las Vegas has a nice vibe. Just research your neighborhoods before moving, because life anywhere else there are some not so hot spots that look deceptively normal! If you love the cold weather, fast paced life, and all of that then you may not like it here esp. In the summer because , specifically in July...omg is it HOT! However, if you're more like us, you may like living here. It really depends on the person.

Las Vegas Pros and Cons - 7/30/2014
Pros:
Cheap cost of living, especially compared to large cities in America
Tons of great food, every different variety you can think of
24/7 shopping and entertainment
Gambling
The Las Vegas strip
Lots of popular music artists frequently visit and perform here

Cons:
The weather sucks in the summer. It's way too hot, although at least it's not humid.
Public transportation has gotten a lot better recently but still sucks overall. You can't live in Vegas without a car.

Great Eating - 7/7/2014
Las Vegas is loaded with great restaurants and not just on the strip. There is something for every taste (and budget) and the competition keeps the prices in line!

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21

Compare Las_Vegas, Nevada to any other place in the USA.