Select a New Section:

A balanced review?... fancy that! - 9/18/2016
I have a love-hate relationship with my city. Actually, it's not that intense, it's more like a like-dislike relationship, which may just net you a pretty balanced review. I work as marriage therapist here in Las Vegas. My mother moved me to and my sister to Las Vegas when I was nearly 16, after having been raised in New Jersey with a pit stop in California. My aunt encouraged us to move here. She was one of Las Vegas's first showgirls, way back when.

I've lived here ever since. I'm 52 now, and my husband and I are looking to move out of Las Vegas soon... partly because I've just been here a really long time and feel ready for a change, and partly because of the things I dislike about living here. I've lived a very happy life here though, and raised two fine children here, and you can too! I'll share my list of likes and dislikes with you, but do keep in mind that these are just my personal views, not gospel.

Also keep in mind that since my children are now in their 30's, my list will naturally not be kid-focused, so it may not be super helpful to parents. I also completely ignore the "strip," like many locals. The whole casino/gaming scene is not part of my life at ALL. Either is the show business scene. We are not into local politics, either. We just live, work, and play here. So I guess you could say we are "in" LV but not really "of" LV. I think that's true for many who live here. It's not a city with a whole lot of community pride or unified spirit... perhaps partly because it's a (relatively) newly settled city, so it's not yet steeped in generations of family tradition. When I first moved here 37 years ago, it was rare to hear that a resident was actually born here. These days it's not rare, yet still raises a brow.

I'm an educated middle class woman who has always lived in the more pleasant/safe areas of the city. In all my many years here, I've had only ONE crime committed against me; my wallet was stolen in a grocery store once, when my back was turned. However, if you are seriously economically challenged at present and therefore forced to live in an unpleasant/unsafe area of the city (such as some areas of North Las Vegas), know that my review will not take into account the many unsavory things you may face when moving here, such roach infested apartments and drive-by shootings. Know that Las Vegas is a big sprawling city (that actually feels more like a big sprawling town). So some of the neighborhoods are super upscale, some are mainstream-nice, some are ghetto. Your experience of Las Vegas will to a large extent depend on where in Las Vegas you hang your hat. I guess that's true for most places.

Low cost of living, you can buy a nice home here without being rich
The mild winters
Lovely mountains
AWESOME shopping and dining
Traffic not bad, road conditions good
Whole Foods grocery stores!
No earthquakes, hurricanes, or twisters
All kinds of diversity here
People mind their own damn business
Locals are welcoming to newcomers
Plenty of tolerant/progressive thinkers
Relatively few religious zealots
Good hiking at Red Rock and Valley of Fire
Proximity to Mt. Charleston (ah, fresh air)
Doable drive to Zion/Bryce Canyon Utah
Whatever your hobby, there's people doing it in Vegas!
Many places stay open late, or even all night
Good hospitals/health care (I don't know why people complain about that)
Art, Dance, Music, Vegas has it all (except a film festival)
It's a very doable drive to the California coast!
University of Nevada Las Vegas... great school, well designed campus

VERY poor air quality (one of the worst cities in the country)
As the global water crisis gets worse, desert dwelling seems unwise
INSUFFERABLY hot summers
I find it a visually ugly city, with no aesthetic cohesion at all
Lots of cigarette smokers rudely stinking up outdoor walkways
Big under-served homeless population, thus pan-handlers on many corners
Motorist-centric city, not favorable for "walk about" exploration
Shopping plazas on nearly every corner... enough is enough!
Advertising EVERYWHERE, it has completely colonized the landscape
Graffiti (except within gated or master planned communities)

Hardly a comprehensive review of a city as big and famous as Las Vegas, but I just wanted to make a list of the pros and cons that first popped into my mind, in case it helps someone's decision making process.

If you do wind up moving to Las Vegas, enjoy it! There is no perfect place to live, after all... a city (much like life itself) is mostly what you make of it.

Before moving to Vegas, go check the health care s - 4/10/2016
If you consider moving to Vegas, go first to a medical facility there and you'll understand ....

Las wages - 4/8/2016
Born and raised in Las Vegas. 37 yrs.old

In this Glittering Concrete Hole, that I call Home. My home brings confusion. Anxiety lingers, filled with my Regrettable Past.
In this Glittering Concrete hole, my home.
Loneliness fills this place, whether it's to be Wanted or left Alone.
It has my hopes and dreams all wrapped up in my Failures and mistakes.
In this Glittering Concrete hole. I call Home
The Heat is unbearable, the Lights are intended to entice, in between every church on a corner, you will find a lost soul.
In this Glittering Concrete hole.. She will give
You hope in its Dancing lights, all wrapped up with a little, drunkenness, brokenness and bitterness .
In this Glittering Concrete hole

This is NO place to live! - 4/2/2016
Was there for less than two months. This was a mistake and I won't be back. It was more than likely the bad roommate that lied to me about everything - no cable, no internet, this was a rooming house. This person didn't say this was a rooming house. I was the only female with four other males. All either on drugs, alcohol, warrants or gambling. I know, next time, I will look better. This things lied every step of the way. Don't expect any assistance from the police. Unless there is a body, they won't respond! I don't think the landlord was even here legally. I'm sure Las Vegas is beautiful, just not for me!

Don't do it!! - 11/17/2015
Don't move to this city unless you enjoy crime 24/7 and constantly worrying about your house getting broken into. We lived in a "nicer" part of the city and my doors were always locked and gun was always loaded. This city truly is a hellhole and you couldn't pay me to move back there.

Las Vegas Living - 10/4/2015
Hello, I have been living in Las Vegas since 1985. I have seen this city grow and continue to grow. I like it here because of there's so much you can do. My kids love it here and will not move anywhere else. I wish it stays this way forever.

lack o f AOG Churches - 9/19/2015
Assembly of God
The true old fashioned Assembly of God Churches do not exist in Las Vegas like the do in Southern California. We are moving out of town and I will once again will be able to worship in a true AOG . Praise the Lord !

Weather - 8/30/2015
Summer can be brutally hot. The other three seasons are pleasant.

weather - 7/21/2015
Summer is as HOT as the bowels of HADES. Within the last ten years or so the heat has steadily segued into November after getting an early start in May.
However, if you are done with ice and snow, this is your place. Now, if you were a Thanksgiving turkey, done to a turn with moist heat or choosing the dry heat would be moot as either way you are cooked. Oh yes, it is dry. Buy stock in skin products.

Living Las Vegas - 5/14/2015
I lived in LV for 3 years and really loved, coming from NY, the peace and quiet living plus the hot weather made me happy. I am looking forward to go back. I was recommend Southwest for residence.

Moving to LV - 5/12/2015
Every time I hear Steve Wynn on the news complaining there is no real economic recovery, I know his LV profits had tanked again..Save the LV strip designed for tourists and bunch of caged golf course communities around the suburbs, the rest is a mostly filthy, beggar sprinkled desert metropolis.Half of the retail stores are empty premisses.The real estate market is as speculative as a Russian roulette dice chuck.Nevada State is broke and is desperate to fund itself through issuing traffic citations.Definitely not a good place to grow a family. June through September is over 100F and the air pollution tops 10 in the country.LV huge water problem seems to be looming on the horizon and the outdated spaghetti bowl highway interchange is jam crammed with traffic as ever.Most of North LV between Rainbow&Graig is a famous no go area for tourists and newcomers too.But shoving all this under the rug the rest is all great and your Mega Bucks Jack Pot is waiting for you.

Nice to visit once, not to live there ever - 5/10/2015
Las Vegas has changed forever since the invention of the online,Indian and Macao casinos.Save the outdated Strip, there is little else to see.Half of the city retail is dead, its filthy, crime is rampant,at around 8am and 3pm the city traffic crams into this insane outdated spaghetti bowl interchange freeway.June through September is over 100F.The bunch of suburban golden cage communities with its golf courses stick as sore thumbs around town,reminding me of the Panama City expat camps.Fly over is highly recommended.

I LOVE LAS VEGAS - 12/3/2014
I absolutely adore this magnificent city and have lived here for the majority of my life. The suburbs are beautiful and most of the people I meet are very kind. The restaurants are incredible and rival both New York City and Paris. The shopping is world class. The shows are world class. Many of the homes in the affluent suburbs are beautiful. I highly recommend Las Vegas!

Word of Life Christian Academy Pre-school - 12/2/2014
I read a poor review regarding Word of Life Christian Academy Pre-school. That person must of been anger about something, because that pre-school is AWESOME! The pre-school director has been there over 10 years. She can't be that bad. Just visit the school for yourself. Don't trust the reviews, however, most of them are positive ones. And no way is the school all about money, it is one of the cheaper schools in the city. Make sure you read the dates on these reviews because it is 2014 people and that school has really grown!!!

Las Vegas, A Personal View - 11/30/2014
I've lived here for 15 years. I've found that Las Vegas has a lot to offer. The cost of living is reasonable, housing is affordable, and there is always something to do either in Las Vegas or the surrounding areas. You can generally get a buffet for less than $10. There are free concerts, plays, and shows. There are free magazines that will show you where they are and when. As far as employment, it's about par with the nation. There are many agencies to help you through the tough times. My only complaint is the summer heat.

Compare Las_Vegas, Nevada to any other place in the USA.

Select a New Section: