Select a Section

Unknown
Bozeman

Start Your Review of Bozeman, MT

5/11/2018
Beautiful town, lots of jobs
Great for families

12/10/2017
This IS our last best place!
We have lived on the west coast, in east-central, in the south, and in the midwest. The sense of humor of the residents of Bozeman, who often have also lived in numerous other areas of the United States, pleases us. Most people in Bozeman are articulate, honest, polite, and church members. If those attributes are what you value, then you, too, will value Bozeman. Admittedly housing is more expensive than expected, but this is a DIY-style place. Admittedly the dog population is hi, but the animal control officer is highly effective. Admittedly the winters are often very cold, but puffers and heavy jeans and cowboy boots are the style. Yep, in our opinion, Bozeman is the last best place.

5/24/2017
Local Who Hates It
I grew up in Bozeman. I still live here. This place is overrun with 1) Californians, 2) East Coasters, 3) Boulderites, 4) trustfunders, 5) assorted rich assholes from out-of-state, and 6) itinerant bros coming for the skiing and flyfishing . Categories 1-5 move here, push up real estate prices, don't support the local economy by creating new jobs or working here, and in general have made it a hostile environment for those of us who grew up here and hoped to stay here. I make $60K a year (which is an anomaly in Bozeman), and I still can't afford a house here. Otherwise, the transplants who move here are cliquey and snobby.

Wages are REALLY low, and most of the jobs are in the service industry. Prices on EVERYTHING are near or above the national average. We get winter 6-7 months out of the year. This year, in fact, we had snow on May 17. If it's not snowing, it's cold. Even in the summer, it cools down at night enough to merit a jacket and long pants.

The dating scene is terrible. The music scene is terrible. The growing season is short. It is beautiful in the summer, but that's maybe two months out of the year.

Don't move here. I'm leaving soon myself.

4/24/2017
Montanan suggesting living anywhere else in state
I'm a born and raised Montanan and have lived in every part of the state and Bozeman is my least favorite place so far. I came here for the college (which is way too experience for being taught only by TA's) and can't wait to get out.

Pros: Beautiful views, great hiking paths, dog friendly, low crime

Cons: Housing is insane! Everyone has a dog here and yet no rentals allow pets so you're forced to either buy a house or sneak your pet in. Bozeman is currently the fastest growing city in the U.S. at 4.6% growth and the city has not prepared at all for it. The streets are confusing and it is a 3-hour wait to get a title certificate or licence plates from the Treasurer's Office. The winter gets depressing if you aren't a snow bum because there is nothing else to do but that or become an alcoholic and join everyone downtown. It seems like everyone here is unfriendly and depressed, which actually could be the case considering how few sunny days there are. The nicest people you will meet are the out-of-staters and good luck having any townies even acknowledge you. The hospital has a monopoly on all the health care centers so physicians are paid crap and the prices for care are ridiculous. Speaking of wages, the average wage for someone with a bachelor's degree in Bozeman is $15/hour with the average rental costing $1,800 for a 2 bedroom place.

4/7/2017
Nice to visit, but you don't want to live there
I move to Bozeman in Sept of 2016. Nice weather at that time. Renting a house. $2200/month for 3br on a .5ac with a fenced yard. It's a nice little city. Expensive to live here. Very little pet friendly rentals. Housing costs are high, pay is low. There doesn't appear to be much crime other than graffiti. People are nice. Winter is long and very cold. Still getting snow in April. If you ride dirtbikes....forget it. There are only a handful places you can ride year round. Most places are closed from October to June. The local MX track costs $400/yr for 1 person to ride. I'm planning move further south as soon as possible.

1/6/2017
Affordable rentals are a rarity
The housing stats are flawed for the cost of rentals in Bozeman. I don't know where they got their information. Perhaps they came to these rates based on an average including the surrounding communities. A quick search on Craigslist will reveal that there is no such thing as any housing for less than $600; if you found a studio apt for that price, or less, it would be a hovel an old motel room or a room in someone's basement. For one to live alone in this town would cost at least $800/month for rent. Most rentals are $1,000+. And if you have a pet, you can forget it. If a place is posted on Craigslist that is affordable and/or allows pets, it is snatched up immediately (within an hour or two). Good luck if you are a regular person trying to find affordable housing (30% of gross earnings); you will need it.

1/30/2016
Pls Review Bozeman MT
I currently live in the SF Bay Area and 3 of my empty-nester friends have recently moved to Bozeman. These 3 different families moved there because friends of theirs also moved there. It feels like a quiet migration is happening. Can you please do a more in-depth review of Bozeman, MT? Thanks, R

6/29/2014
Earns the name "Last Best Place", if you can handl
I'm a southern transplant here & I've been here for over 12 years. I've lived all over the US. This is my Utopia. (Almost!) But it's not for everyone. The winter is WAY long, but if you enjoy snow, it is the perfect place. The air is very dry, and hot in the summer, although it is a brief season. Most houses do not even have A/C. The college MSU provides a lot of opportunities.
I've seen many young families move in and out over the years, because it is expensive - but still less than most major cities. You are paying for the view. And it's a good one, from almost every neighborhood in the Gallatin Valley you have a 360 view of mountains.
I'm not too worried about this post attracting too many people, because like I said, the winters are LONG, growing season is short, & I've seen a lot of people move away. Bozeman is perfect- for the right people!

The Real Bozeman, MT. Told by a born and raised ci
(Sorry, this is really quite long and I didn't even get to share all the beauty of my town. Read if you like, I'm sure you'll get the gist of my opinion in the first few paragraphs! :) Have a nice day!!) Where do I begin? There are honestly so many great things to say about Bozeman. Some people like to think that the people here are snobby and rich and rude; and the world isn't perfect, there will always be people in every town that are like this. But the general population is not. We are however helpful, kind, energetic, caring and loving. There are so many non-profits and helping businesses that are eager to help out those who are in need of some extra care, whether they are members of Bozeman's community or they reside elsewhere. Some of these include but are not limited to: Habitat for Humanity, the Food Bank, the Heart of the Valley Animal Shelter, Family Promise, Eagle Mount, various churches, Zoe Women's Center, Hopa Mountain, the HRDC, shelters for the homeless, and so many others! The citizens of Bozeman are always willing to give an extra hand, whether it be to hold a door open for some folks or to help build a home, or any way of providing for those who need it. Bozeman isn't just about the snooty-snoo upscale restaurants and boutiques, while those are fun to spend some time in, we also take care of our fellow people. Bozeman is often thought of as one of the most expensive places to live in Montana, and while there is some truth to this, most people didn't just get their lives handed to them on a silver platter. Bozeman is made up of hardworking diligent people, who worked to get to where they are now. They are able to go beyond providing the necessities for their family, but this does not mean that their children are spoiled or snobby. Speaking from experience, in today's time, the kids in Bozeman, young and old, are encouraging and kind. They work hard to get good grades and do well in sports and life. We all learn at an early age that we have to work hard and pursue our dreams. I'm currently in high school and I have gone to both public and private schools in Bozeman, and have enjoyed both! It can be difficult sometimes for kids who are not used to actually having to do their homework or study for tests and quizzes and be active in their school community. But the students and staff are friendly and always there to listen or lend a hand. Bozeman Senior High is ranked number one in the state of Montana for graduating students. Sports is also another large part of the full education system in the town. We're often in the state championships and sometimes we even win, but all of that comes from hard work, practice, and trust from the teams, peers, coaches, parents, and the community as a whole. But if you're not really into the sports scene, don't fret because the arts and other clubs are another huge part of the school. There are multiple choirs at the high school alone, and a huge orchestra and a band that often travel around the country playing and competing. I'm not really sure how many art classes are offered at BHS (bozeman high) but I know that there are quite a few. One of my best friends is always raving on how awesome the art opportunities are at the school and in town. Theater is incredible here! Most everyone in Bozeman enjoys a good play put on by excited young (and older) actors. Whether it's held at the Ellen Theater downtown, The Wilson Auditorium or the recently built theater at Petra Academy, (there are others too, those are just to name a few). We often host acting, dance, musical, and opera companies to our little town. Even famous singers, comedians, and celebrities are always stopping by to visit. The popular singer/songwriter John Mayer is originally from Paradise Valley, which is just over the Bozeman Pass and 30 minutes out of town. Mayer has been spotted a few times in Bozeman, but it's never made it on the news or anything. Which I think is why so many famous people enjoy it here. We're laid back, and of course we're excited when celebrities come to our town, but we also know that they've come here to enjoy Montana, not to be swarmed by paparazzi. Parts of the movie A River Runs Through It were filmed in Bozeman. I even know some people who were asked to be extras in the film! Some of the scenes took place in the well-known and loved Story Mansion on Wilson. And when it premiered here in town, my mom even got to sit next to Brad Pitt. She said that he was shorter than she had thought, but also nicer than she would have imagined. It's a different kind of living here, sure it's cold (two weeks ago it was -44 degrees Fahrenheit at my house, which is in the valley!), and icy, and snowy; but it's also beautiful and warms up quickly in the summer. We need the warmer summers to do all the activities most of Bozo's citizens enjoy, like hiking, camping, rock climbing, running, biking, kayaking, water skiing, horseback riding, going on picnics, relaxing with family and friends at the lake, and so much other stuff! It's a blast to live in Bozeman. I've found that in other towns I've been to, you rarely ever see people biking to work or school or just for fun, but in Bozeman it's quite popular. Bozeman is really active, energetic, organic, and green. We have farmer's markets throughout the year, often times we grow our own food, we partake in the community gardens or in our own, we like homegrown, homemade, organic foods and clothes. We don't like to take the easy way out, we like to find solutions that best fit the community and the world. We're green and we're proud of it. We like to recycle and reuse things. There are even stores that reuse things, like Goodwill, Sack's Thrift Avenue, the Catwalk, Cactus Records, Upscale Resale (sometimes referred to as ReCouture), and others that support the green movement! We like to support our local businesses as they are a huge part of our lives, even if it means spending a few extra cents or having to deal with the energetic but adorable owner's puppy. We're a college town, we are always finding new things to support or voice our opinion on. There are those who are more conservative and others who are more outgoing in the world, but somehow we have found a way to balance it all and work together. We support our people especially when it's against all odds, like who would have thought that a nice and genuine man with a sweet family that came from a modest home would be a Congressman? I personally know Congressman Steve Daines and his family and can attest that he is looking out for his people, and that he will always be doing right by his community. With a lot of dreaming and imagination and some elbow grease, we can all see that even us small towners can become whoever and whatever we like. I think each time someone new steps foot into Bozeman, they can see the inspiration and love we all have for our home. These are just a modest few of the reasons why I love my hometown of Bozeman, Montana. While nobody is perfect, we're pretty darn close. :) p.s. And no Sheldon, it's not Bozite, it's Bozemanites (reference to a tv show) :)

12/22/2013
Bozeman-The Perfect Place :)
Bozeman is a beautiful place to live, perfect for anyone and everyone!

10/26/2013
Bozeman Montana weather
I have lived in Bozeman for over 25 years. It is very dry there (low huidity), rains infrequently. It is a hot summer, Fall can be cold or warm, winter starts anytime from October to December, ends in May. May is usually cold. June is the wettest month. It can snow a lot or a little in winter, and temps can rane from 45 degrees to 45 degrees below zero in the winter months. It has a lot of sunny days, even when cold. There is a little Spring, not much.
Beautiful God's country!

7/14/2013
Life in Bozeman
I have lived in Bozeman area for eight years. My observation of Bozeman is seen through the eyes of someone who has lived, worked and traveled much of the world. I find the people of Bozeman very friendly and welcoming. The town has a western charm and a relaxed attitude. I am amused by those few commenting that Bozeman is not friendly. Have they ever lived in a major metropolitan area? Or do they bring an attitude that brings out a less than friendly response? I agree with those comments that Bozeman is an area that offers plenty of lower paying jobs and higher paid positions are in short supply. Working via telecommunting, having a retirement income or wealthy are nice options if living in Bozeman. Persons I meet come from various geographical locations making Bozeman a rather cosmopolitan town for its size. Regarding cost of living Bozeman is a bargain compared to major metropolitan areas, however, it is not inexpensive. How one views Bozeman costs is mostly from one's past experience. A small town person may find on the pricey side. If one loves outdoor activities this town is spectacular. All seasons offer so much to do. On the other hand if one does not like any outdoor winter sports I would suggest thinking long and hard about moving to Bozeman. Winter is beautiful and long! Summer and autumn are stunning; rival any place in the world. To sum up Bozeman has the best of both worlds - enough amenities for a pleasant and comfortable life with stimulating activities and surrounded by gorgeous wilderness; views that will take your breath away. I decided to make my home here after decades of traveling the world because of the perfect blend of civility and wilderness.

1 2 3 4

Compare Bozeman, Montana to any other place in the USA.
Select a Section