Select a Section

Dallas

Start Your Review of Dallas, TX

6/6/2018
Not Top 10 but good enough and close
I'm a native Texas boy, home grown and have family all across the state.

Hell, I went to school in Dallas... the "well known" one...take a guess where?

And while I cherish my time in Dallas and education, there are better cities in the country.

I do however miss Uptown Dallas and Knox-Henderson... Especially as those are both so close to each other and urban/walkable lol. But compared to other cities in the country, it's not anything "special" lol.

I miss the suburbs and have many, many, MANY very very CLOSE ties in the North Dallas suburbs.

People who complain about Dallas don't realize that it's a city that is "big enough" to where you will have all the big city amenities that you want. But it's not like "first/top tier" in the country. But it's 'good enough'.

Listen, it could be worse... and I would know lol. I've lived in much worse lol

But that shouldn't discourage one from coming to Dallas. I just wouldn't make it my top/first choice.

The main negatives would be that:
- it's VERY, VERY pretentious (this is true lol)
- it's urban, but not 'as urban' as other cities in the country...so you have MUCH BETTER options. I wouldn't turn down going to LA/NYC/Chicago for Dallas as an example... That would be VERY stupid as an example lol.
- BRUTALLY hot, HOT summers... I don't miss those Dallas summers (especially July - September)

4 stars... I can't give it 5... although I have many, many friends back home in Dallas it doesn't deserve a top star rating.

6/4/2018
Not Perfect, could be worse
Listen, I'm a "hometown boy" so ill always defend Dallas and the other major 3 Texas cities

Dallas is NOT a "top tier" city, it is a SECOND tier city

Here are some BETTER cities:
New York, Los Angelos, San Francisco, Seattle, Chicago, Minneapolis, Boston, Washington DC/NOVA, Atlanta

But it is a VERY good "alternative"

If you wanna live in a "better" (subjective) city, go to one of those... but ALSO realize you have to deal with MUCH HIGHER Cost of Living and/or worse weather (Minneapolis lol)

Dallas has it's faults but it could be MUCH MUCH worse. It has all the big city amenities, diversity in entertainment and populace that you could want in a city. Obviously, outside of Uptown/West End/Deep Ellum, it isn't a very "walkable" city... but damn it could be MUCH WORSE lol

It's a very COMPETITVE city too for being second tier. That said... Houston and Austin are great nearby options.

A very comparable ALTERNATIVE to Dallas is Charlotte, which is less pretentious than Dallas and more "Southern", but it's also smaller

4 stars!

6/4/2018
Could be Worse, alwayPushes yos "home"
Dallas is NOT a perfect city... it's a SECOND TIER city in the country

Let me be objective and give you the NEGATIVES first:
- HORRIBLE summers lol, you'll be sweating your ass off from June to September
- not very "GREEN" it's a lot of concrete outside of the suburbs and North Dallas and heading towards Fort Worth
- VERY, VERY pretentious... well certain parts can be... and being a part of the elite/upper classs it does get annoying with a lot of your "30k millionaires' running around

POSITIVES:
- it could be much worse
- very progressive YET conservative at the same time
- Uptown is becoming much, much more "urban" than it was just ~10-15 years ago
- very lively social scene due to the variety of neighborhoods
-very much a WORK HARD, PLAY HARD environment... you will get "eaten alive" if you're not keeping up
- an environment that FORCES YOU to "push yourself" whch brings out the best in you
- the women

5/25/2018
Dallas never felt like home
I moved to Dallas because of the variety of work and higher salaries than I experienced in Denver. Dallas gave me many firsts:

After an interview with a recruiter, she asked me to pile on make-up, because that's how it's done in Texas. (Whereas in CO, I was told I wore too much make-up. smh)

Had my car totaled from a brutal hail storm.

Feared for my life getting on/traveling all freeways. Worse drivers than Los Angeles. Horrible traffic.

Materialistic populace.

Had a doctor tell me I should pray for answers.

First date started quoting scripture from his favorite Sunday minister, although he told me he wasn't religious. Then told me I was going to hell for not believing in the bible.

Strip clubs let you bring your own alcohol, but you must pay for your own ice buckets. Uh, ok.

Company I worked for went out of business and then when I went to collect unemployment, they claimed I the company I worked for never existed?!!

Toll roads.

Living in the south sucks. This place never grew on me and I bailed after a year.

5/15/2018
Dallas would be a great case study...
Dallas would be a great case study for anthropologists. A Rule book on how not to create a great society.

Innate tribalism is very apparent in D. Very self absorbed. All about me, me, me and my tribe. If you are not part of tribe you are looked at with suspicion.

Materialistic, innate desire of breeding and doing what you’re told are also common traits. A city of followers. Park Cities is possibly the epicenter of this. It is both comical and disturbing at the same time. They seem very suspicious of people that are not part of their tribe. They seem to even feed on it.

Others have commented how racist it is. I would add that this is from all sides. Whites are certainly not the only ones guilty of this. All sides seem to feed off of each other's racism.

It is also a very sexist city. Again both sides seem equally culpable of this. Overlying both of these is a strong xenophobic mentality. Have heard said many times that the circle the wagons mentality is very much alive and well in D.

There is good reason why no great universities exist here. Intellectualism and free thought are not part of the core tenets of Dallas.

The irony that ALL of the seven deadly sins: pride, greed, lust, envy, gluttony, wrath and sloth are so prevalent in Dallas culture. This, in a city that likes to pride itself on Christian values. Perhaps they misread that as the seven requirements of Dallas-ism. Their churches seem to prefer to skip that part and instead focus on spreading hatred and tribalism.

In the words of JC, 'Oh lord forgive them for they know not what they do!'.

4/22/2018
Dallas is an Amazing City!
Reading the previous reviews of Dallas, TX made me laugh and made me want to write my own review.
I am from California, specifically Los Angeles, and I made the move to Dallas two years ago. This was one of the best decisions of my life, and I thought my perspective may give a more balanced perspective as to what life is like here in Dallas.
A lot of Dallasites complain about the traffic. This is honestly laughable as I have come from California where real traffic problems exist. Traffic slows down to 35 miles per hour on the freeway for a mile or so, and you'd think the world was ending for them. I would like to see these folks sit through 5pm commute traffic on the 10 in LA, and maybe it would seem the traffic here is not bad at all, for a city.
Having lived in California for the majority of my life, I worried that Dallas would not have the city amenities I have been used to finding. I can honestly say- that with the exception of the beach - there is every amenity in Los Angeles here, to some degree.

The cost of living is very low, with the exception of the property taxes, but one should take into consideration that the cost of the home is significantly less, so the property tax percentage is almost irrelevant. I lived in a townhouse on the westside of LA, with no yard, and neighbors that literally touching on either side. We sold the townhouse, moved to the nicest neighborhood here in Dallas (park cities), purchased a home on almost a half acre, and still have money in our pocket.

In Los Angeles we shopped at Whole Foods. Here we shop at Whole Foods and our grocery bill was cut by over 1/3, buying the exact same items. Gas is less, travel is less expensive, the overall cost of living is just less here. Jobs are abundant, and the competition is not as fierce as other major cities, specifically if you are in certain industries, or are educated. I worked with a recruiter prior to my relocation, and both my husband and I had multiple job offers to pick from. I don't know how accurate this still is, but we were told two years ago that less than half of the workforce in Dallas does not have a college education, thus making it easier for us to find work.

For those that complain Dallas is not a walkable city are, quite frankly, wrong. While people here are very dependent on vehicles, Turtle Creek, Oaklawn, Uptown, Downtown, the West End, and Deep Ellum are extremely walkable. My husband and I walk in these neighborhoods every week.

The same can be said about the entertainment, or lack thereof in some people's opinions. Dallas has a symphony, theaters, live music 7 nights per week, dancing halls, bars, restaurants, etc. Are they on par with the entertainment you'd find in Manhattan? Probably not; but there is still a lot to do. Additionally, Dallas has two airports and travel costs are moderately low, in comparison to other major cities. Whenever I find myself in need of a break, I can hop on a plane, take a vacation, and come home refreshed.

Dallas is extremely kid friendly, with lots of green space and parks. Dallas has a substantial amount of waterways, making safe boating, kayaking, and watersports possible.

The weather is another big complaint. Yes, it's hot in the summer. Hot and humid. October - May is very moderate, and nice. Dare I say, in comparison with Los Angeles, Dallas actually has real seasons. In addition to the heat in the summertime, unlike a lot of other major cities (I'm looking at you San Francisco and NYC), everywhere in Dallas is air conditioned. For the two to three months per year it's really hot, just hang inside during the peak hours.

I personally believe that a place is what you make of it. I see the problems with an influx of transplants to Dallas, specifically for locals who are getting priced out of their own community. This aside, I think Dallas is a wonderful place to live, work, and play. I would recommend relocation to anyone interested in moving here.

3/15/2018
Dallas is overrated
I lived in Dallas for almost 10 years. I'm from Florida. Dallas is a good place to explore dining options and for work experience, but that's it. Like one reviewer said, come to Dallas to gain valuable work experience and move on. Once you've been to the Fair, A Cowboys game, Rangers, Mavs or a hockey game, you've done it all. A city is what you make it. All cities have its pros and cons, but I prefer the East Coast. People are a lot more friendlier in Florida. Dallas is a tough place to date and build meaningful friendships. It is true, people in Dallas are very materialistic. Dallas reminds me of Atlanta, just much bigger. Wish I had moved to Houston instead of Dallas, but I don't think Houston would have been any better. You like what you like and I'm a Florida girl. I'm back in Florida now and this is where I will stay. Because of the valuable work experience I obtained in Dallas, I have a good paying job in Florida. I will travel to Dallas for weekend getaways, but I going to live my life near the beach. :)

3/8/2018
Cultural wasteland
Moved to DFW in 2011 with the intention of setting here for good. Dallas Fort Worth has a great business environment, better weather than Chicago, and a lower cost of living. Many big companies like Toyota, Liberty Mutual and Jamba Juice have relocated their headquarters here, causing very rapid growth.

As other reviewers have said, there is not much to do apart from shopping and eating. There is world class art in Dallas' museums but the latter are strangely empty. Good restaurants are not concentrated in any one area but in several. It does not help that the city is very sprawly and getting anywhere requires planning pretty much a half-day trip.

Add to that the lack of public transportation -- DART only goes so far, so everyone is in a car, causing constant gridlock -- and you've got a recipe for insularity.

Given the sprawliness and the lack of public transportation, urban development tends to concentrate on building out each sub-region. There is no reason really to venture far from where you live, whether that's Arlington, Plano, Denton or wherever. You've got your Aldi's, Old Navy, and manicure place a few blocks away. Why bother going all the way to the museum?

This insularity manifests itself in many Texans' perceptions of the world. I have met a lot of native DFWers who are deeply uninterested in anything outside of DFW, much less Texas. Conversations are vapid. The script is to talk about where you work, where you live, how DFW is booming and how all this progress is driving up property prices, maybe the Cowboys if it's football season.

Meanwhile, there is a marked lack of amenities for the disabled, such as automatic doors and ramps. Texans are surprised when I say that these are mandated by law in other states. There are also no sidewalks. Because no one walks, the assumption is that you'll drive. Bus stops -- if you can find them -- are pretty much poles stuck in lawns. If it rains, passengers are standing ankle-deep in mud.

Texans are not aware of these shortcomings, partly I suspect because they're uninterested in how other states deal with issues of disability and mobility. This tells you much about their views of other issues that have nothing to do with economics but a lot to do with why citizens love their cities, issues like preservation of historical architecture, for instance.

If you are moving from a culturally rich city to DFW, do know that you will be starving for the activity that you took for granted back home. It simply is not here and never will be.

1/16/2018
I would weigh my options before moving here
I have now lived in Dallas for 3 years and I have tried to like it here. I am not going to complain about the heat, I am from the deep deep South so the heat is nothing here. Heck I actually miss the humidity. I understood in moving here that the traffic would be thick, so like most economic refugees, I was prepared to take the good with the bad. I needed a living wage! I have never in my life experienced the degree of unprofessionalism that I have experienced here, nor have I ever had a boss yell at me and personal insult me simply because I am not from Texas. The degree of pettiness is unreal and the cost of living sucks. I moved here from Florida and I was told how great the DFW was. This place sucks. There is diversity, but no culture. Dallas rivals Austin for most superficial city in Texas (lived there too). I am not a fan of the schools here, I am underwhelmed on a daily basis . No, not even in the suburbs. I do miss that about Austin. The education offered here is marginal at best and I am in a constant battle not to snatch up my family and run. Why don't I, because of my job. I agree with others about the lack of basic fun here. I have never drank and ate so much, until I moved here; and I grew up in South Louisiana. Everything revolves around sex, booze and food. Oh and the adultery is sooo real here, so if you are single, be prepared. The pay is mediocre and most companies/ agencies are unorganized at best. Don't waste your breath discussing politics, history,race, religion or Mario Kart. You will be met with blank stares. Keep it to booze, food and sex. That they get here! Oddly enough I do like Texas, but I cannot stand Dallas. It's just not a fit. I do understand that to some Dallas is great, but not this gal. I thrive on diversity, culture and proper merging. Oh, yeah street lights, lane dividers, and warning signs on highways are optional. Driving here is like jumping double dutch and why can they not comprehend what the word MERGE means! Yeah, I think it is time to transfer out of Dallas. Good luck to all and God Bless.

12/31/2017
Do not move here.
My husband and I moved here three years ago from NYC. I am originally from New York, he's from Boston. If you're from NY, Boston, Chicago, San Francisco or LA you're in for a world of disappointment. We moved to the hippest, most-walkable neighborhood (Uptown) and it's a joke. Let's talk about the amenities. Uptown is full of restaurants and bars and that's pretty much it. There is one grocery store, Whole Foods but that only recently opened. If you want to go to a regular grocery prepare to get in your car. If you need to go to the post office, get in your car. If you want to go to the library, get in your car. If you're planning on living without a car or only one car it will be very hard, even in Uptown, Dallas's most walkable neighborhood. You wouldn't want to walk around Uptown anyway; the sidewalks are small and in bad need of repair. The sidewalks are so small you need to walk single file and some places don't even have a sidewalk at all! Ladies if you are used to parading around NYC in your high heels forget about it here unless you want to twist your ankle. Girls wearing heels here drive everywhere then valet the car. If it's summer you won't want to walk as it gets super hot and there are very little trees to give shade. The city has only recently planted trees so you'll see a lot of trees around that are like 6-7 feet tall; hardly big enough to provide shade.

If you're into ethnic food you'll be very disappointed. Ask some Dallasite where to get good Indian food and they will point you to some place in Irving. Irving, really? Irving is not Dallas. If you are in NY and you want some good Indian Food you are only a short subway ride away. Want good Chinese? Prepare to go all the way to Richardson. You pretty much have to drive 20-30 minuted to some suburb to get to an ethnic restaurant. Want some more "obscure" ethnic food like Peruvian, Puerto Rican, or even Cuban? You'll have maybe one option in the whole metroplex and it will be 30 minutes away and mediocre at best. The best Korean food is in some desolate strip mall in the suburbs and it closes at 9 pm. Meanwhile at 9pm in Koreatown in LA things are still jumping. And you can take the metro there!

If you like the arts you'll be disappointed here as well. I went to see a show at the Winspear. When the show ended everyone went down to the lower level to get in their cars and drive home. As we were waiting out front for our Uber to come we literally heard crickets, that's how quiet and desolate it was. Go to a show at the Pantages theater in LA and there will be a large amount of street life outside. After a Broadway show the streets are filled with people going to grab a drink or a later dinner. The museums in the Arts District are mediocre as well. The DMA doesn't have one standout piece in their collection, the Nasher is much better but only if you're into sculpture. If your'e used to going to the Met, The Art Institute, or the Museum of Fine Arts in Boston, you'll get tired of this Arts District real quick.

The city's architecture is really bad. City Hall is stark and oppressive, the library across the way was built to complement it so it too is quite ugly. It's also filled with lots of homeless people and out front there are lots of people on drugs. Such a shame that the main library looks like this. Their is no real reason to go downtown; there is very little shopping and lots of people begging for money. There was a man overdosing on synthetic marijuana in front of Neiman Marcus one day.

Most people spend their free time shopping or eating here. There are a lot of overweight people here b/c of the lack of things to do and the lack of good sidewalks and public transportation.

If you are coming from a bigger city you will be bored out of your mind in a year. You'll also cry when you see your property tax bill- one of the highest in the nation. I know, I know you see the brand new houses for a steal, you see the prospect of having all this extra money in your pocket. But just don't do it. Do not move here.

8/5/2017
Not a good place to be anymore
I was born and raised in Dallas, Tx. Over the years, I've watched this city turn into inhabitable to non- inhabitable; crumbling infrastructure, mismanagement of city funds, and a high and steady influx of job seekers as well as others running from crime, boredom, etc has overburdened the city. Over the past decade, rents have increased and the availability of housing has decreased. This has coincided with the great influx of transplants chasing work, and the arrival of the few job opportunities further out in the suburbs. Traffic here is amazing; accidents on the daily commutes, gridlock, and desperation. The road ways were never meant to handle the type of traffic introduced, and the state cannot build new thoroughfares fast enough to keep up with the demand. The nightlife is non existence within the actual city itself; you have to drive out to places like Arlington or Addison to find a safe, decent spot to have fun. Crime is rampant due to the rapidly decreasing police force who prioritize their calls on severity. The city itself is an eyesore, and urban blight is through the roof. You don't see or hear this advertised though because the city big wigs dont want to scare off the big corporations nor the tourists. Public transportation is 10 times more expensive and dangerous then cities twice our size; $5.00 a trip and best be careful not to say anything about any negative happenings on your way. While I'm on transportation,didc I mention the milliion dollar deficit that DART is under? Yep, it's basically broke financially and infrastructure wise exactly like the cdidc, which is planning on sticking it to city residents in order to recoup the massive millions that strangely are non existant. The seasons go straight from "way too hot" to "mild". We've seemed to skip winter entirely. Don't beleive any of this? Just do the research yourself. Empirical evidence is always the best, I say. I am not attenpting to denigrate my city, nor frighten anyone with ideas of making this place home, I just want everyone to make an informed decision. After all, one mans trash is another mans treasure.

7/17/2017
Overrated
A lot of people get evicted after losing jobs here and end up homeless. Terrible favoritism and bad behavior on jobs. Many live in motel6, budget suites, intown suites. Overrated, why are people moving here? Friendly people are the minority here. This is not southern hospitality. The cost of living is going higher and higher. Blacks must kiss up and bow down to make it here. A lot of competition for jobs so it does not matter how many it is. For every job your going against 500 others.

7/2/2017
It's been a rough 2 1/2 years...
We moved to Dallas 2 1/2 years ago, and it has been a very difficult adjustment. We came from San Diego, California. Dallas is the land of fast food restaurants and shopping. We miss the ocean and having outdoor activities. It's very hard to stay active here unless you just spend all of your time at indoor gyms. There isn't any scenery or nature to enjoy. The people here are mainly focused on making money and buying stuff. The people have not been very friendly. Polite, yes... but friendly, no. It's filled with cliques here and the people are narrow-minded and self-centered. They snub you and think they're better than you. We are pretty well-off financially, but we don't like to show it. The people here have treated us very differently once they get the idea that we actually "have money". We are looking into doing a job transfer to a beach city. Please be warned that it is very hard to get settled here and that the extreme materialism influence is very strong and it's hard to get settled into meaningful friendships in Dallas. You will be judged harshly on every superficial level.

6/29/2016
Good for careers but not much else
I grew up here, moved away for about 10 years and came back due to a career move. I have now been back for over 2 years and cannot say I have ever warmed up to this place. It’s not bad but it is as dull as stale tofu!

Dallas is first and foremost a business city. I find this city to be great if one wants to further their career. Lots of entrepreneurial spirit, several F500 HQs with more relocating here everyday. Most people are here because of their jobs, which is fine.

But due to the business nature of this place, it can feel mind-numbingly bland at times. Like living in a giant office park. Lots of cookie cutter ho-hum suburban sprawl. Chains everywhere. There are things to do here, but it is really lacking for an area of over 7.5 million people. Activities in Dallas center around eating, drinking, shopping, more eating, getting into debt, etc.

The weather here is dreadful. Summers are HOT with a lot of humidity. Springtime is often gloomy and raining all the time, with several bouts of hail, wind, and tornadoes. FWIW this area has seen a dramatic uptick in severe weather the past few years. Winter is drab and you can expect one or two good snow/ice storms. And this area is woefully unprepared for them (Snow plows? What are those?). Autumn is decent, but they last 3 weeks at most. Between that, the dull landscape—very little natural beauty—and lack of activities besides stuffing your face you will notice that people with the means usually try and get out of here on vacation very frequently. DFW and Love Field do offer lots of flights, which is a plus for this area.

Do not come here expecting it to be cheap. Perhaps years ago it was. And if you are coming from the Bay Area or East Coast it will probably seem like a dream here. If you are coming from anywhere in the middle of the country, however, it will be a significant step up. Real estate here is soaring….while most places are just now getting back to their pre-bust housing prices, DFW is up about 40% from 2008. Rents are increasing just as much if not more. In general Texas has extremely high property taxes and car and homeowners insurance. And the climate here ensures you will be a slave to your utilities. There are a lot of “equity refugees” from the coasts moving here and driving up the prices of everything so don’t expect this to moderate anytime soon. And be careful buying that dream home out in some cornfield, because you will likely be using toll roads to get around anywhere….those add up QUICK.

I will say the people here are very nice. Be warned, however, that there is a very strong materialistic and conservative undercurrent. Lots of mindless consumption, maxed out credit cards, and leased luxury cars here. TBH I think a lot of people shop/blow money because there is so little to do. Partly because of this, it is VERY segregated by class here. Also, DFW is the de facto epicenter of US conservative politics…."Dubya" lives here after all. As long as you don’t bring up politics in normal conversation you should be okay but disagree with any of the Fox News talking points of the day in public and you can get the cold shoulder very quickly.

This area is extremely family oriented. Great if you have kids and there are many good school districts to choose from. If you don’t have a family and are past a certain age, prepare to get judged. I remember my first day at work all everyone wanted to ask me was if I was married (I was not even though I was only 27 at the time, so I am probably dead to these people LOL).

In conclusion, Dallas is the giant vanilla scoop of US cities. This city is good for getting a job and raising a family, but beyond that don’t expect too much besides the basics. If you have to move here, get a few notches on your resume, save some cash, and try and make the most out of what the city does have. And then move to an actual living, breathing city.

9/19/2015
Living in Dallas
DFW is okay. Depends on what you like. Great economy and good place for jobs. It's a business town. That's what built it. But like any major metro area after you've done everything a couple times (eating establishments, bars and clubs, a couple sporting events), not may options. Too flat and hot for me. That gets depressing. Definitely not a place for avid outdoors types. I prefer to be closer to mountains and major bodies of water. Many people living here have weight issues because they eat and drink too much. Too hot a good part of the year to do much outside. Geographically just in the wrong part of the country for me so I will look to head back east.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

Compare Dallas, Texas to any other place in the USA.
Select a Section