Fake woke city with typical southern slave wages
Lived in Austin for 2 years and looking back realized its extremely overrated. Ill give 5 short reasons why:
1) Austin historically was a sleepy college town. No different than Tallahassee FL where im at now. Its now overran by corporate tech companies outsourcing their crappy Cali jobs and hasnt grown beyond that. Austin is not some metropolis like NYC, DC, San Fran or LA. Its not even on the level of second tier cities like Chicago, Seattle, or even Atlanta. Its a 3rd/4th tier city in terms of career opportinities. Your never going to get far working here.
2) This place is so fake woke its not even funny. Minorities are segregated into east austin and most companies mostly hire whites. This is a neocon/conservative leaning city that doesnt like diversity but pretends to like liberals since corporations here need good PR. Its mostly white people here with very little cultural diversity.
3) Low wage state. Its still part of the south and its still Texas. Outside of tech, which is mostly silicon valley rejects and nothing really being made here, the jobs suck here. Just like other southern states, its right to work and low taxes, which means crappy cheap employers who dont pay well.
4) Wages are out of proportion to rents and housing costs. Crappy houses range from 300-400k. There are cheaper options out in the suburbs but then your stuck driving in traffic for hours. Even if you somehow hit 100k, its too hard to buy anything or want to settle down.
5) Its still Texas. Republicans still govern the state and have been forever. People love guns and its not opted into Obamacare. It doesnt support unions, it doesnt like infrastructure or density and your high property taxes make up for no income tax.
Overall, this might be the most overrated city in america right now. Id say Texas as a whole is overhyped since its like Oklahoma but with more oil. The economy is booming with crappy jobs and you can go to jail for smoking weed.
There isnt anything special about Austin TX sides inflated pricing to live in a college town with a limited economy. You cant make better money than other places, the people are arguably more backwords than parts of the deep south, and the traffic is like a mini LA. Neat to visit but dont live here. And no, Im not saying that passive aggressively like these other dweebs. This place is a legit waste of time if you care about advancing yourself career wise or want to live in a culturally rich place.
jay | Glendale, CA