Select a Section

Start Your Review of Minneapolis, MN

6/6/2018
VERY, VERY, VERY underrated
I absolutely LOVE this city!

And would put this in my Top 10 cities in the country easily...

No order:
- San Francisco
- Atlanta
- Minneapolis
- Boston
- One of the Texas top 3 (would be LAST)

*Again, that list is no particular order and I am a "Texas native".... so i am a little "biased" towards the Texas cities but

I absolutely love Minneapolis

NEGATIVES first:
- INTENSE, deathly winters... they are VERY, VERY intense here! I own a newer convertible and don't drive that one up when I am in Minneapolis winters because it simply will NOT survive! The coldest winters in the country BAR NONE!!
- "In or you're out" type mentality... I will get to this later
- Can be a pretty expensive city with all the taxes and having to pay/prepare for winter weather.

POSITIVES:
- amazing live music scene
- excellent location for if you wanna travel to other states to see family
- very good, DISTINCT neighborhoods
- very, very Urban and incredible architecture
- always something going on

So the big negative I hear from most others is of the "Minnesota (N)Ice"... Well honestly, it's an "in or you're out" type of thing. Minnesota is OBVIOUSLY heavily Scandinavian lol. So they will either "accept you" out the bat or dislike you and you can generally tell.

An example was, on my VERY FIRST day in Minneapolis I was invited to someone's house to watch a ballgame. I've heard different stories, but my experiences have always been VERY, VERY positive actually with Minneapolis and Minnesota as a whole. Also I am NOT a Vikings or Twins fan so that is also suprising. But I have always been "in". I missed my time going ice fishing, to Twins games(not a fan of them), going boating, hiking, etc. It's definitely a pretty "exclusive" culture, but once you're "in" they are your friends for life. That's just the culture there.

So what that means is... you will either be "in" and have the time of your life and have made the BEST DECISION of your LIFE. Or it will suck... lol

I'm white btw.

5/2/2018
It’s probably you not them
Having read the negative reviews of Minneapolis residents, I can say the poster’s should take a good long look at themselves....

I lived in the twin cities area for a few years before moving to the mountains of Montana to ski, fish and hunt. I’ve visited almost every major American city and hundreds of midsize cities on both coasts, The West, Midwest, Southwest and New England. I lived in Chicago (mixed views on Chi-town), Phoenix (blast oven strip mall hell where everything looks the same, every day is the same, people are either retirees from all over the country and can’t drive or they’re made of plastic and leather), Michigan (sad economic decline but I still love Michigan...I’m rootin’ for ya Detroit!.... you looked great last summer and happy to see you’re growing again!!) and currently live in and love Duluth (Outside Magazines #1 city to work and play).

Duluthians travel regularly to Minneapolis to do city and non-city stuff.... concerts, Vikings games, mountain biking, foodie adventures, theatre, comedy shows, golfing,etc...

If you read the statistics, you already know that the Twin Cities area ranks towards the top of almost every category.

If you read the negative comments you’ll expect the locals to be fake, white trash, passive aggressive, smug and/or afraid of their own shadows.

The truth is....
Twin City residents are among the best educated in the country, they are friendly, they are family oriented, they stay close to their long time friends and they love to show off their city and state to new people. Anyone who claims they can’t make friends or think the locals are weird need to find a hobby. Minneapolis and Minnesota residents like to do things. They are mountain bikers, runners, kayakers, foodies, theater lovers, urban explorers, busy small business owners, corporate money focused workaholics, sports fans, classic car club members, rock climbers, fisherman, cabin owners, community volunteers, etc..... and many belong to a club related to their hobby.

If you arrive from the corn fields of Iowa you probably won’t have anything in common with the locals.

If you come from Denver with your typical mountain person “I’m better than you because it’s not flat where I’m from” attitude, you’ll most certainly encounter passive aggressiveness.

If you encounter the things the negative comments have stated... the truth is.....Minnesotan’s think you’re weird, boring or rude. They’re just too nice to tell you.

They’ve probably been to where you’re from and thought the people sucked (I’m looking at you Philly)

But....
If you come with an open mind, don’t talk about how great it is where you’re from (they don’t care) and are willing to learn a new sport or hobbie, you’ll fit right in.

Pros:
-Endless job / small business startup opportunity
-Endless 4 season recreation
-4 seasons
-Paved bike trails that wind throughout the cities, around lakes, waterfalls and nature preserves
-Mountain bike trails
-Beaches
-The arts
-economy
-light rail system
-two distinct downtowns (Minneapolis and St.Paul) that both offer great nightlife and Uptown Minneapolis
-Psycho Susie’s motor lounge
-Minnesota State fair
-Mall of America / downtown skyway systems for when it’s raining, too hot or too cold outside
-close to nature
-reletively close to Chicago, Madison, Milwaukee, Duluth and Kansas City for weekend trips
-xc ski trials, downhill skiing, neighborhood hockey rinks
-Architecture
-golf courses
-Valleyfair
-reletively close to Wisconsin Dells
-4 hours to Lutsen ski resort (1000 vert, 95 runs, 4 Mountains, tree skiing, 8 person gondola on Lake Superior)
-summer festivals
-unique city lifestyle that combines the attributes of New York and smaller outdoorsy cities like Duluth, Asheville and Portland
-amazing restaurants
-microbreweries
-Twins Baseball!
-green spaces
-rooftop bars and restaurants
-First Ave concerts!
-lots of trees
-beautiful towns dot the St. Croix and Mississippi rivers from Stillwater to Lacrosse,WI
-close to the beautiful driftless area mountains and their blue ribbon trout streams
-2 1/2 hours to gold level mountain bike trails in Duluth
-2 hours to bronze level mountain bike trails in Cuyuna
-1000 miles of single track mountain bike trails are within a 5 hour drive
-2 1/2 hours to surfing on Lake Superior
-4 hours to surfing on Lake Michigan

Cons:
-cold bleak days in the winter (go skiing or fat tire biking)
-Sauna hot humid days in the summer (but they have beaches unlike most other humid cities)
-bottleneck freeway system designed for 2 million residents (3.5 million currently live there)
-no mountains (1000 foot tall mountains line the north shore of Lake Superior, 2 1/2 hours away)
-Vikings will break your heart repeatedly, year after year, till you stop feeling feelings
-you’ll have pail skin
-city water tastes like most city water
-packer fans
-Mosquitos
-potholes (not as bad as New York)
-telling your family you ate Lutefisk
-NHL Wild will break your heart, year after year, till you stop feeling feelings (unless you became a Vikings fan first, in which case your feelings are already dead)
-heating bills January-March

I dislike living in big cities, but if I had to choose one, Minneapolis would be it.

Sidenote*
My favorite cities to visit are Minneapolis, St.Paul, Miami, Las Vegas (for no more than 2 days at a time), San Diago, Portland, Denver, Ithaca, Seattle, Indianapolis(downtown), Detroit(downtown) and Chicago(downtown).

4/24/2018
People are friendly and polite, lots of activities
I love Minneapolis. People are usually quite polite and friendly (different neighborhoods can have quite different vibes). A lot of businesses have their base here: Target, Best Buy, 3M, Medtronic, UnitedHealth. The theater scene is very strong, led by the Guthrie and the Children’s Theatre. Some wonderful art museums in the Walker, MIA. People embrace and support education and the environment. There are many lakes, parks, trails. Winter may take getting used to, but, especially if you have an attached garage, it’s not bad and often fun.

1/3/2018
Where dreams go to die
I completely agree with all the negative reviews about this god-forsaken state/city.

I had initially believed this state was fine as in I didn't have any strong feelings one way or the other. I didn't have many friends growing up and didn't make lasting friends until college. This I chalked up to my small town life and felt the city just had more opportunities to meet like-minded people.

Then I left Minnesota to live for a brief time on the coast. When I came back, I reconnected with my old friends, but things were different. Had their smiles always been so fake? Had they always engaged in this much shallow, superficial conversation? Even getting them to talk about their jobs was difficult, as it felt like they believed you were only asking to be "polite."

That I feel is the most significant problem with Minnesota is everything is done for appearances. People say things like "Oh we should totally get together," and not really mean it. "How have you been?" translates to "Just say you're fine." and if you're having real issues in your life, the people close to you will recommend medication or counseling before they listen to your problems.

The fact that it feels like people here would rather pay someone to listen to them rather than confide in their "friends" speaks volumes about how cold and remote Minnesotans are. I miss living in a place where if people didn't like someone or thought they were a jerk they would tell them to their face.

Job prospects out here are terrible unless you want to be a nurse or cubicle mouse. Most of the people I know work as actuaries, accountants, nurses, or for insurance companies. Stable, safe, boring.

After getting the stable job people here usually settle on the first or second person they dated long term to be their wife or husband. Then they get a house, get a dog, have a couple of kids, meet more superficial parents through their school system to have more superficial conversations with and wait in their quaint suburban home for the next 30 to 40 years for the reaper to end their mediocre existence.

I would bet money anyone here who rated this state above three stars has never lived anywhere else.

If you have dreams or ambitions you owe it to yourself to get out of here as fast as you can.

10/25/2017
Weird People
It's pretty cathartic reading the other reviews and realizing I'm not only one super uncomfortable with Minnesota space alien culture. I've lived here for 14 years and never felt like one of them, which is a good thing as my goal as a person is not to be a sheltered, passive aggressive, artificially folksy bag of powdered milk in human form.

Upon relocating to a suburb here at 15, the first thing I realized is that I would NOT have any friends. Since I was not a 3rd generation Norwegian with a cabin up north, a car radio set permanently to Prairie Home Companion reruns and a 5'10 blonde girlfriend made of Bakelite and Starbucks vanilla lattes, I just gave up on meeting people and went to the library to study during the lunch hour. The few shallow acquaintances (which is all you are allowed to have if not born here) I had just called me "Iowa kid" cuz, of course, I was from literally a state away making me extra despised.

Over a decade later, I have taken on enough of their shallow, circumscribed culture to be enough of a pillsbury doughboy (minus the sincerer personality) to kinda fit in and have decent career. So I'm giving it 3 stars! For great bike trails, lots of high paying jobs, beautiful lakes and clean streets. Maybe someday real people will move here. Probably not though.

8/25/2017
Big City Appeal With Smug & White Trash Values
I used to work for a company based in MSP so I had the distinct "pleasure" of visiting nearly half a dozen times.

Let's start with the positives: There are some very nice and genuine people here. Not everyone is "Minnesota Nice" but the stereotype seems to suck in the majority. It's a very clean city with good biking trails and parks. It's more affordable to buy a house and raise a family compared to the coasts. There are a lot of Fortune 500 companies based here, so unemployment is a non issue.

The bad - well, there's a ton. The passive aggressive element is real and as someone who was raised in Northern NJ, this type of tone (especially in the business world) is downright unacceptable. People are shallow and extremely insular - as in the coastal cities are frightening and intimidating and anywhere outside the city is too far and unknown. Yet many are "progressive" and are card carrying Democrats who tug the party line. If you even mildly criticize any ideals they get triggered real fast.

Culturally, this place tries to mold itself after Norway yet there aren't any mountains around to make it even a little interesting geographically. Weather-wise this place reminds me of Morristown, NJ (near where I grew up). Bi-Polar weather conditions with a no real spring, hot and humid summers, and cold winters - except in MSP they are even colder and stick around slightly longer. I enjoy the cold but I'll take what we have in Denver over this type of weather any day of the week.

Who knows, perhaps there is still hope for some sort of change. Maybe that's why MN came around 1 percent away from flipping to Trump.

1/31/2017
Not throwing up my hat in Mpls.
I lived there 20 years and not only did I feel the lack of friendliness to outsiders (plenty of surface friendly) but so did a lot of other outsiders I talked to about the problem. Oh, you can work there, you can raise your kids there, pay taxes, freeze your patootie too. But, you're still not a native so don't go looking for any close friends. I grew up in Wisco. and though it is cold, MN. is COLDER! Much COLDER for longer. One year it started at Halloween and ran right into Easter. 40 below for 2 weeks and that didn't include the wind chill. House prices are high if you want a fairly nice one. But, the biggest (in my op.) and well-hidden problem is this: you might find a great vintage house in an inner city suburb. Pay a pretty price for your little piece of heaven. And, there you are, sitting in your lovely though rather buggy backyard and suddenly you hear a rumble first then see a long line of large planes passing just above the tree line. Yes, folks, it's enough to shake you up, quite literally. People seem to accept it. I never could, not when I paid good money just to discover that if I stood on my roof and jumped high enough I might hitch a free plane ride to the airport! When I finally moved I was truly startled by the lack of sound. But perhaps that was simply because I'd lost my hearing.

1/27/2017
Backwards
These folks are afraid of anyone that they did not go to kindergarten with-- They have had little exposure with the outside world.

4/15/2016
If you aren't from Minnesota, you will notice a di
Minnesota natives are so rude. They will just look at you with their mouth open instead of replying. The Norwegian roots make these people have a culture all their own. Clerks in stores never say hello or thank you, they just look at u with their mouth hanging open...won't even tell you the total. This place is not for friendly people! The liberal mindset is out of control and there are rainbow flags in front of churches. People try their hardest to avoid neighbors, some even never said hello after 6 years! No one holds doors open, but if you do, they will never say thank you. Just very self centered. Also, the people will try and say it is the smartest state too...

7/13/2015
Dong Hae Korean Grill & Sushi
Company Name: Dong Hae Korean Grill & Sushi

251 1st Ave N, Minneapolis, MN 55401, USA

Phone: 6123331999

Web: www.donghaeres.com

Dong Hae Korean Grill & Sushi Restaurant is referred to as East Sea or Sea of Japan and is inspired by the sister restaurant of Dong Yang in Columbia Heights. Dong Hae Korean Grill & Sushi is located in the Heart of Downtown Minneapolis within the entertainment district on First Avenue - only 3 blocks away from Target Center! We offer authentic Korean and Japanese cuisines consisting of bold and rich flavors. Come on in and order off our main menu or an all-you-can-eat sushi menu and enjoy your meal in a relaxed friendly environment.

Happy Hour: Mon - Friday 2:30 am - 6:00 pm

Hours: Tue-Fri 11:00 AM-10:00 PM, Sat-Sun 12:00 PM-11:00 PM

6/30/2015
Character &Culture
I grew up strictly white middle class in the suburbs of Hopkins and Minnetonka in the '70s and '80s---it was a good time and a good place to grow up; but very sheltered also. Like anywhere, kids get involved in sports so the winters aren't bad with team sports and the health club, or YMCA to stay busy; and lots of outdoor skating and later on, skiing at Afton. And we had Ridgedale Mall--Dayton's, all that. Now there is the Mall of America also. This state suited me very well as a young guy, I naturally loved fishing and hunting. Sports aplenty also: soccer, baseball, basketball, golf. Lot's of great golf here and lakes for boating in summer. And cabins/lakes for fishing, waterskiing; or snowmobiling and ice-fishing in winter. Beautiful lakes to see and play on all over the state: Clearwater (Annandale), Minnetonka, Mille Lacs, the Boundary Water, Winnie, Lake of the Woods. Up North resembles Canada. Now for practicalities: lots of intelligent,creative,oppressed, and repressed people. They live in their own minds and are closed off, many extremely attractive but can also be very mean and cold---and dark (like the weather for half of year). Extremely passive aggressive--they will ice you and sabotage you and band against you--if you're not 'normal'. Weather is just brutally oppressive and apocalyptic in winter. Summer is paradise if you have money for a boat and/ir cabin. Uptown is lovely..Calhoun and Harriet for walking, biking, blading, sailing. Lastly I would recommend William's in Uptown and Chino-Latino,MagersQuinn books, Half-price books (St.Louis Park), cruising University Ave. and around the U. Watching Gopher's hockey. First Ave. for a club. Hopkins. Annual Film festival in Minneapolis, Sally's Bar, West Bank, East Bank, Exploring just driving all over St.Paul, MPLS, the State Fair, St.Thomas area Ford Parkway, Minnehaha Falls, the Mississipi...etc. Overall, Winter is not really feasible, the wealthy are able to take refuge in Fl. I'm just leaving altogether, back to L.A., Orange, and Hermosa..I always miss the character, the history and the culture though, it has inspired guys like the Coen brothers, Dylan, Prince, F.Scott Fitzgerald,O.E. Rolvaag, Lewis, Sigurd Olson,countless actors, inventors, etc., then they all leave it behind.

4/1/2015
no traffic!
I just moved back here from Seattle, and the biggest relief is that there is virtually no traffic. I have never had such good gas mileage as traffic moves easily here, even at "rush houra" Seattle is gridlock 24 hours a day.

1/8/2015
Very expensive, yet "cheap" houses
I lived in Minnesota for most of my adult life. When I was in my 40s, I took a transfer to South Carolina. I was astonished by how much cheaper it was, in terms of housing, medical, food, etc. Then, I took another transfer to Texas, where it was even cheaper, in terms of housing, medical, food, and taxes (no state tax).

Minnesota's houses are small, dark, not energy efficient, and they cost A LOT compared to other areas of the country. I'm back in MN now (again, for job), and the home I have now is the most expensive home that I've ever owned, and it pales in comparison to the houses I had in the other states, and those houses cost about 30% less.

I'm sorry, but 10x10 is NOT a bedroom... it is a closet, with windows.

11/4/2014
Great Biking City
possibly the best biking and transportation system in the country.

11/4/2014
Great Biking City
possibly the best biking and transportation system in the country.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Compare Minneapolis, Minnesota to any other place in the USA.
Select a Section