Select a Section

Boston

Start Your Review of Boston, MA

3/13/2018
Not for me
I wouldn't go near Boston unless you make or will make at least 150K a year. Better check the cost of living. Rent here is two or three times what it is in most US cities, four times most small towns. It's very crowded. Parking is always a hassle and traffic can be really bad. Better watch your car because there's a good chance somebody will steal it.

2/7/2018
Historical, culture,
Very convenient to get around by foot.. car traffic is more difficult. Top on historic, preservation, like walking back in history. North End, Haymarket Square, Boston Common, Public Garden, MIT , Harvard,..

1/11/2018
Ya know what?
The worst thing about Boston is that it is so expensive. And you know why? Supply and demand: people want to live here. I don't understand all the bad reviews. They all sound like sour grapes to me. Boston is an absolutely beautiful city with plenty to do and far fewer of the problems that plague the country's other big cities, most notably violence and crime. We also don't have the nature-related problems that spoil some of the country's other places--earthquakes, tornadoes, mudslides, hurricanes, floods. Cold and snow? You bet, but you're not going to die from them. But it is expensive and we do have quite possibly the worst public transportation system in the world. Thank goodness Boston is entirely walkable. For you sour grape reviewers: go away, we don't need you here. Otherwise, welcome to one of the nicest cities in the world.

2/20/2017
Boston..one of the 10 most overrated cities _USA
Absolutely......Boston's an overrated clannish dung heap....Nice to visit sure but....The thing about Boston is there are really two Bostons...One where the deified spawn of privilege, the luckiest 1 percent of the world's population among us can send off their little progeny to attend any of the 80 or so dilettante schools - in short for those that can piss away about $250,000-$400,000 for an piece of paper- and the rest who are more representative of the country as a whole -who in turn live in the poor southern sub sections.....Dorchester, Roxbury, Matappan....where they dutifully stay to themselves and for the most part stay in their place - and so far don't cause much fuss in the whiter areas...they know their place. There's no comparison between NYC and Boston....the former being a truly world class city- where talent and hard work usually go rewarded no matter your pedigree or lack thereof whereas Boston's a flake's paradise...where who you know is far more important than what you can do... or how well you can do it.....Bottom line is - if you had were afforded the uncommon luxury during your youth to be sheathed in gold threaded diapers -or if you were afforded the opportunity in life to be late suckled off the teat of extraordinary wealth, then you'll love Boston indeed....and nearly every one of the positive reviews here mirror that characteristic Boston mix of ignorance, provincialism and dullness lol..Ever hear that insipid accent? Hint, it's WAY more than just an accent..haha. The reason that most very "successful" Bostonians stay here is because if they were to move anywhere else -Surprise! -they'd have no transferable juice in other cities....expect maybe Geneva Switzerland ...The thing is, money simply can't buy talent...and believe me, as privileged as the people here are, they surely could always use a bit more talent....want a fish for lunch ...how about a whale....lol. Just as an aside, as far as i can determine, I was weaned around 4 years old age....but a lot of these folks, watch em' , unable to truly make it on their own, never tire of the suckle..and from the elongated teat of privilege no less. That's not yesterday's clam chowder you see always dripping from their lips... They, like putting a country boy shit-kicker into an upscale tea party, ALWAYS stand out..lol. The majority, actually know this....hence witness the flaccid, facile, predictable excuses masquerading as cogent responses from the 1 percent among us....and hey, so nice of you to stop by! Boston actually is listed on several websites as being "One of the 10 most overrated cities in America"....(not mine lol) So again, for a few - Boston, sure it's great...of course it's great....not unlike for the ruling class in Pyongyang...it's great there too. Hey, i stopped by the BU cafeteria one day and i noted Sushi and Legal Seafood with stalls there...no cavier though, that day..haha. I had to deal with normal foodstuffs...
But if by any remote chance your stars werent' all neatly manicured and aligned in a row when you were born ....if you weren't among the 5% of the US populace the poor folk truly deprived beyond mesure , then Boston is a pretty but ultimately stuck up, clannish, tribal, overpriced, overvalued, dung heap...it's really no secret...Remember, all that glitters isn't gold...Even if it's ---- Ready folks.....? "Strong" --- hehe
PS You can do far better...

2/23/2016
LOVE MY MA
SOOOO proud to be from Massachusetts. We have it all here. Great colleges, ethnic and cultural diversity, an hour either way from the pure heaven of the Cape, North Shore, and Western MA not to mention going over the "Bordah" to NH and RI. The food is phenomenal and eclectic with our many farms, fishing ports and dairies, the people reserved and clannish but are made of long term friendship material. A sense of work ethics, a bit starchy but a great dry sense of humor. And we like our independence....oh yeah. We were the ones who broke the King's piece. History and cutting edge medical research. A dichotomy of staunch New England townies, preppies and Brahman intellectuals and Alternate therapy non conformists, wiccan new age hipsters and blue collar sports fans. There's a place for everyone here

2/27/2014
If you like high taxes and poor weather move here.
Corrupt Politicians, terrible roads and signage, terrible weather, liberal idiots who couldn't live without the government intervening in their freedoms. Oh, high cost of living and high taxes.

2/27/2014
If your a liberal, that loves bad weather and corr
Extremely high cost of living. Corrupt and Inept Democrat politicians who never answer for any mis deeds. Taxes that get wasted on money laundering unions and illegal aliens into democrat voters. Police and politicians who want to control your whole life. Horrible weather most of the year. Terrible roads and confusing road systems with poor signage.

The politics get better the further you move west, but the roads don't and all money flows towards Boston, and generally silences out those in Central MA who do have some brains in their head and can think for themselves.

7/30/2013
Boston is great!
I love Boston. It's the most beautiful american city. Lots of stuff to do even if you don't have much money.

5/7/2013
Boston: dirty, deteriorating infrastructure, mean,
I have lived in Chicago, Atlanta, Miami, Washigton DC, and have to say living in Boston has been an education on what I DO NOT want.
At first I was excited moving to a city with a wealth of history and a history of wealth. Boston has played a major role in America, but its hay days are long over.
With horrible government, weak mayors, race relations gone to hell, and lacking leadership for business and industry, today, Boston is filled with ageing infrastructure (bridges and roads are the worst in the nation), the worst drivers ever, poor schools, and the people that are inward looking and selfish.
I have never lived in a city which is dirtier and were people living in the city have to deal with so many issues that degrade their quality of life. If you buy property in Boston, be sure to chain and bolt down anything in your yards, or visible from the street.
I live in what could be called a re-emerging neighborhood with homes, gaining in value and expensive by national standards. But it is impossible to maintain even a middle class level of living, The trash thrown into yards,sidewalks, and the damage done to any car left on the street is amazing.
This city is in decline.
This is not a city for people in love with city living.

4/22/2012
Is Boston nicer than other major cities?
Tow days ago, I moved to Boston area with excitment to learn about the city and people. So far, I have encountered people on the streets and the hotel that I am staying and they have been either mean or offensive. For instance, at the I-95, when I stoped to yield to the traffic before I entered the I-95 people in cars behind me started to shout and stuck their arm out of their cars giving me obscene gustures. I was shocked that people get outraged so easily for me observing traffic rules. By the way, I drive a Z4 BMW and don't consider myself a sluggish driver. I have a speeding tickets to provit too. Another example, at the hotel the the front desk clerk yelled at me when I informed him about the broken refregirator in my room. There are a few other similar examples which I won't bore you with. I am looking for better encounters in Boston. I am sure there are nicer people in this city.

3/13/2012

12/22/2011
good times city living
I moved to the South End sector of the city 10 years ago after living i the suburb of Norwell for 15 years. I am close to everything so very walkable for everything I do. I love my commute which means walking across the street to work! The city is very financially sound which is a big plus today.

12/6/2011
Interesting place to live
Boston is small but big.One can walk or take public transport everywhere. History, museums and, of course, sports. Lots and lots of educational opportunities. Easy to get in and out of with respect to travelling in the nuS or overseas. The airport is easily accessible by subway. There are outdoor activities for all seasons like skiing, boating, golf tennis and woods to explore.

10/23/2011
Ahhhhh, Boston
Boston, in my opinion is truly one of the greatest cities in the country, if not world. Boston is drenched in history, and is full of creative and inspiring minds. Yes, Bostonians may come off as rude at first, but once you get to know them, they will be some of your most loyal friends. Boston has a sense of community unrivaled by even my rural town in Virginia. The drivers, by all accounts, are as crazy and as insane as many say they are. My road tip? Be aggressive. Letting others cut you off, or using your turn signal is a sign of weakness all throughout Massachusetts. The food here is astonishing and you will never run out of things to do. get sick of the city? It is a short hour and 45 minute drive out to Amherst where you can hike, bike and hangout.

6/23/2011
Not a comfortable place to live
Look, here's the real scoop on Boston. I've lived here for 5 years, moved here from the South. also lived in DC and NYC. Boston is, yes, VERY cold. If you have a car and aren't able to get it covered, prepare to spend hours every winter shoveling. Also, you need to know Bostonians are extremely POSESSIVE of "their" parking spots. Prepare to see random chairs and trashcans on the CITY PUBLIC street. People want to reserve "their" spot, even DAYS, WEEKS after a snow fall. One guy on my street in Jamaica Plain has his trash can out there almost YEAR ROUND. It's so difficult b/c I do home visits for my job (I'm a family counselor) and I can drive down a street and I have to park blocks away b/c people are unecessarily possessive. They will SLASH your tires, key you, so something if you MOVE "their" chair.. I am NOT kidding. My dad was visiting a while back and moved a chair and he got a note in red lipstick warning him not to park there!! Also, I think Bostonians are rude on the surface. Heard of Massholes? They are proud of it! OMG People have bumper stickers with it.. can you imagine, being proud of being rude? I don't get it!! okay..BUT proud massholes are not too many.. AND once you get to know most Boston people, many Bostonians are NICE people. Most just come across as gruff and really keep to themselves. Ruder people than NYC, DEFINITELY. They also drive, as you've heard, INSANE. They will make up their own rules. If I had a buck for everytime someone came up to a RED LIGHT, stopped, looked both ways, and PROCEEDED to cross the intersection.. I'd be able to pay rent in Boston for a month (a very large sum!).. It's preposterous!! What is this, a third world country? road rules are very 'bendable' here. Cops do let a lot more rule breaking slide on the roads. ALSO, a plus for these MA folks--they drive very defensively, so this is how they avoid accidents. Compared to the south, you will definitely notice a difference. People here expect you to do CRAZY *ss things on the road, so this is why there aren't accidents all the time. Lastly, taxes. Do you know where they go? UNIONS out the yin yang. Very good benefits for low-income folks (good... but it's EXCESSIVE!). The accents sound like finger nails on a chalk board to me, but perhaps a southern accent (which I do not have even though I'm from there) sounds bad to them, I get it. ALSO, foget fast food joints. A FRACTION on the number from the south. I know for many people, this is a good thing :) but for me, I don't want to have to fight for parking, walk a mile, then buy my dinner, or worse, take the subway to eat. EVEN in the suburbs, not as many restaurants -- my theory? I will tell you: you don't have enough disposable income here to afford eating out. PERIOD. Go to Dallas, TX and compare... it's as clear as day (also go to salary.com to see real numbers.) I would love to be able to drive up somewhere, park, get my meal, done. Also, everything is INCREDIBLY expensive and expect to live with a dozen people or live in an attic. seriously, it breaks the bank here. A THIRD of my income goes to taxes (federal, state income tax, car tax, high sales tax, union dues ($600/yr). I make 40K and I can hardly make enough to live. I can't afford a newspaper subscription or to buy a book. my budget is SOOOO tight. OKAY, if you make enough money, you are young-ish, like the cold, like the "feel" of the north, like to travel (great location)... come to Boston! Otherwise, NYC or DC or Chicago will do the trick.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Compare Boston, Massachusetts to any other place in the USA.
Select a Section